I got a 1990 lifted ford ranger with 33" mud tires. It did horrible last winter. I kept getting stuck, sliding...

I got a 1990 lifted ford ranger with 33" mud tires. It did horrible last winter. I kept getting stuck, sliding, and eventually stuck with driving my gf's gallant. One of my buddies told me that the truck is too light and the mudding tires pretty much become slicks during the winter. Anything I can do yo make the truck drive better during the winter ? Looks like pic related except the custom tires and grill.

Winter tires......

Wide tires tend to float on top of snow rather than dig in and grip the pavement. So put some normal profile snow tires or all seasons on.

Oversized tires also kill your gas mileage and make the vehicle handle poorly so just leave those regular tires on all year.

Been trying to post this for an hour now, fuck off Veeky Forums

RWD only?
What tires are these exactly?

Now, your average Mud-Terrain tires will suck at absolutely anything winter-related except deep snow, although they might even suck at that depending on how well they clean themselves

RWD trucks with nothing in the bed are utter shite in the winter, even with premium winter tires, and the bigger the tires get the shittier they'll handle on ice and in light snow, as you're sharing the little weight you already have on a big surface.

Here are some things you can do to have it handle better

Tires
>get proper winter tires, preferrably thinner ones
>sipe & stud your tires (studding will make them useless and terrible outside of winter, siping will make them feel a bit soft and also wear out a tad quicker)

Weight
>put some hundred pounds of something heavy in the bed

put some sandbags in the back and if you have to shovel any snow, throw it in the back for good measure. and skinnier tires

Lol what did you expect nigger?

>his truck isn't even 4x4
>it doesn't even have a v8

Lots of weight in the back....
Do it...

Its 4x4

find some stock wheels and put the tallest profile narrowest tires that fit without stretching.

>put some hundred pounds of something heavy in the bed

at least 200lb of sandbags against the tailgate, 100lb is not enough.

I live in Alaska and this is how we get around.

Thanks man. Gonna have to do this.

And probably open diff's front and rear.
A 2x with posi/locker would do better.
As soon as one tire loses traction, all your power is sent to it and you just sit & spin.
Don't need 500 pounds of sand.
Don't need different tires.
You just need a posi out back and a locker up front.

get some tall and Skinny tires, you need something that presses down harder on the snow. Like and 10" is waay too wide.

Get snow tires if you can. They help immensely.

Also more weight in the bed, put sandbags(lots) over the axle in the bed

In my experience rangers are shit in the winter. Sliding all over and get stuck waay Ez.

Holy shit this is the worst advice ever. The last thing you want on snow is a fucking locker because when you break traction there is nothing, fucking nothing keeping you from going sideways.

And I run mud tires in Colorado all winter. They're the fucking bombin deep shit and fine in everything else- if it's under a foot they work the same as ATs if it's deeper than 4' unplowed you Have to air down, but I love mud tires in winter.

OP needs to put some shit in the bed and learn to drive, not spend a bunch on upgrades car fags on Veeky Forums think make up for lack of skill.

>Like and 10" is waay too wide.
Objectively wrong my jeep tires were 14" wide and did great. This isn't a fucking Honda that needs winter pizza cutters.

alaskafag again this man is right about the lockers.

however mud tires don't work up here because it is all ice and they spread the weight to much to get grip. tall skinny tires have more psi on their contact patch and the larger diameter puts more studs on the ground at a time.

we laugh at black ice stories because there is absolutely no asphalt surfaces here in the deep winter. We call it glare ice or sheet ice because the entire road system looks like a skating rink. they even make studded slip ons for your shoes so you can walk around without busting your ass or doing the "duck walk"

Ground pressure my friend. Physics is a bitch that rewards you with good head only when you can remember her birthday.

Get some snow tires.

I'm going to do the same thing on my Ranger. It came with BFG Rugged Terrain tires which are good on deep snow, mud, and pavement, but are absolute trash on ice. I nearly died shortly after I got it when I hit a patch of black ice or something on the freeway and the back end came out. It's completely unmanageable on any kind of slick surface without 4wd on.

It's probably even worse if you have a lift, so I'd put new tires on ASAP. Sand-bags and stuff like that are shit-tier, but snow tires make a world of difference.

you use sand bags and winter tires dork. The best tires can only do so much under an unloaded bed.
sandbags are for

>These are the same guys that will tell you a Subaru with all wheel drive is best on snow but lockers suck.....

I mean, I wouldn't get lockers just for use in the snow, because of reasons above and price. But if you lose traction on one wheel and it's just spinning, lightly apply brakes and stay on the gas and that sorta acts like a ghetto locker. Modern cars have an automated system to do that for you now called Brake Lock Differential. If your ranger some how has that already then u just need to git gud

there are a reason that snow-specific tires are pretty narrow; it's to really dig in for better traction.

Rangers suck ass in the snow, winter tires or not. I have two.