Truck Thread

I just got my first truck. My dad gave it to me. I'm so happy. It's a 2005 GMC Canyon. I'm ready to do truck stuff. Let's talk about trucks.

>not buying your own vehicles

It only has about 100k miles on it. I plan on getting a trailer for it and using it to run a side business and I'm looking for land because I plan to do some homesteading. I'm gonna raise chickens.

The transmission clunks a bit going from first to second and I also tested it a bit over 2/3rds on the throttle and it hesitated a bit going from first to second. If I remember from way back it will clunk harder if you are on the gas from first to second. I remember it existing when I occasionally used his truck over the years. We never hauled anything. Do you think that will be an issue? It's a 2x4 and didn't come with a transmission cooler. I plan on putting one in as soon as I can work on it.

It's missing the keyfob too. Wtf amazon.

I own a Jetta. I've been shopping for a truck for about 5 months and my dad decided he wanted a new truck and just up and gave this to me. He is currently living in northern minnesota and decided he wanted a 4v4 truck. He's currently battling my mom who is insisting on a crossover. I offered to pay him for it but he told me it's mine. I'm really happy about it. I am also moving from another state to where he lives. I think he's happy about that.

>I own a jetta
I don't understand why you fags keep buying them they are lousy pieces of shit
Plus that truck doesn't even look 4x4 I wouldn't own a truck that wasn't 4x4

Eh it was a 2012 2.5SE with a 5 speed. It's a pretty peppy little sedan and I enjoy driving it. I didn't have a lot of money and my parents offered to cosign on a loan on the condition I buy a new car. I had like 7 grand and was a college student and really there isn't much in that price range I think I'd enjoy driving more than the jetta. I bought a 72 superbeetle when I was 15 and fixed it up so I guess I was a little partial toward VW. I don't think I'm going to buy another VW again.

Does Veeky Forums like Hiluxes?

Yes

No, the new ones have this pulled back Oriental face. I do like older generations though. Also, the Toyota T100 is way better than any hilux.

But Hilux-san is my waifu

How is the new Hilux compared to the previous model?

All GM trucks from 01-07 classic do this between 1-2nd. Not an issue. Before people start spewing shit about it, it just is how it is. doesnt mean anything bad, and will last a long time. our 02 full size work truck has over 300K and still does it, just like my 04 full size which has always done it. Whether its a half ton or smaller truck, its universal. Only the HD's with the Allison don't do it.

Play with the throttle during the 1-2 shift and you can find a sweet spot that minimizes/cancels the kick. For my 04, its about 1800 RPM and I don't feel it. Anything less and it kicks hard, anything more and it kicks decently. In and around 1800 though, smooth shift. Hope it helps.

Also, I hope you don't plan on pulling any medium to large trailers, because that is not the truck for the job. Sure it'll pull a decent sized trailer, but you wont be able to retain control of the trailer with a small truck like that. Its why the HD models exist. HD's come with more power and torque sure, but the big difference is in the frame, suspension, and weight. They are designed to have more ass so that when pulling trailers, you can retain full control and not have the trailer drive you. A Canyon is ok to pull small trailers (sub 8 foot) provided they are within the recommended weight class, but they don't do great for any medium sized trailer that would be hauling any kind of machinery or decent sized load. Like I said, it'll pull the trailer, but will struggle to retain control of it, especially at highway speeds, and at that point, you are a danger to both yourself and others on the road.

The other thing to remember is that trailering induces more stress on the truck, and will cause issues in the long run since the Canyon is not purpose built to pull trailers all the time. The transmission is a big key in this. Without an HD transmission, you are pretty much guaranteed trans problems down the road if you plan on regularly pulling any substantial sized load, especially with a lot of starts and stops.

Ive been pulling trailers daily for years, and I even opt to leave my full sized chevy behind in favor of one of the HD's or the old '85 one ton. Due to uncontrollable circumstances I once had to pull our big 18' box trailer with only the 02 3/4 ton chevy. She has the 496 under the hood with an allison and is an HD herselft so she never struggled to get or maintain speed, but without duals and not being a 1 ton, every even small gust of wind sent me across lanes. The sketchiest 10 miles I have ever driven from jobsite to shop.

Just keep this all in mind

Ground clearance is horrible on newer models.

Depending on what your interpretation of "medium to large" trailers, I'd beg the differ. The Isuzu based pickups from the last 15 years are quite decent at pulling anything up to a loaded car trailer or large dual axle tow ball drawn caravan.
Anything up to 2500kg they're in their element depending engine/gearbox combination, but heading north of 3000kg is becoming a tall order. If you're talking GTMs in the five digit pounds, then of course an HD offering is required.
Horses for courses I guess. You don't want to be stuck with a machete at a gun fight, but said machete is more than adequate if you're up against a knife.

Fair point, I never did properly define. Im from midwest farm country so a medium trailer is anything over 10' that carries any kind of equipment, from skid steers to cars. Large trailers, well, pretty self explanatory I suppose. All the cattle haulers are in the classification. For any of our big equipment (excavator, dozer, backhoe, etc) we don't even mess around and just breakout the semi with tri-axle equipment trailer. For the most part though we are pulling medium to large sized loaded with field tile, straw, waste material, you name it. Although I have done it with my half ton before, I highly dislike using her. She can retain control, but call me overkill, I prefer the peace of mind of just using one of the HD's. Guaranteed safety in my view, which I would rather have. Having ridden that line of maxing a trucks capacity, im not a fan of the white knuckle driving that it then requires.

Specifically, we had a Colorado for a while, and they just are not that good at pulling. I am assuming that OP's Canyon probably has the 5 cylinder, which produced plenty of power, but never enough torque. That and the truck rode too smoothly without trailer to then have a trailer if you know what I mean. It was truly built as a daily driver, so they shot for comfort over durability. So when we put a load on the Colorado, it just got, sloppy I guess is a good word for it. Sloppy and slow responding. Granted the Canyons are a bit different, but both being GM, they are pretty much one in the same truck, so I don't see it being any different for OP.

Then again, Op never really stated what he planned, so maybe im just talking out of my ass. I honestly didn't know any of that about the Isuzu trucks though, although those are impossible to find around here. We are in the heartland, so if it inst one of the big three its rare. Even rarer are trucks that aren't big three. People around here tend to shit on trucks outside of the big three for whatever reason.

I've taken 3.5 tonnes (what its rated for) on the newest D-Max. Did fine on the flats and slight hills, but going on the gravel mountain roads I really noticed a small lack of power, aswell as the brakes having a bit of issue when braking for stopping on the same road downhill

All relative I guess.
I made the comment on Isuzu based pickups, as the Colorado and Canyon are indeed based on one. OP did mention homesteading raising chickens, so I reckon the Colorado would be in its element in regards to that :P

Pic unrelated to the conversation, but related to "truck stuff" regardless My old Cat getting ready for its new adventure on the back of a V8 Scania.

As far as the brakes, thats just the terrain man. With that much weight behind you pushing you downhill on gravel where traction is already limited, yeah, no vehicle is going to excell at stopping a load in that condition. All you can do in that case is ease downhill slowly and crank the trailer brakes up high. I assume that the gravel roads were of substantial grade too, so again, trying to get a load that size going up, on the limited traction that gravel allows is going to be tough for any vehicle.

I am going to fuck my comanche with a shotgun if one more thing just randomly fucking fails before I even get it home.

True. I cant imagine any load of chickens maxing out the capacity of a truck like that lol.

I really dont have any good pictures of what we haul. Guess I never actually take many photos. But, pic related is the field tile truck. '85 Custom Deluxe with diesel engine, to a four speed trans out to a 4.10 read end. Could probably pull a house off a foundation with her.

Thanks for the peace of mind.

I ordered a transmission cooler for it because it didn't come with one. I plan on installing it soon and I'm not getting a trailer for a few months. I was mostly planning on getting a small utility trailer to haul wood and furniture in. Nothing particularly heavy, just bulky. I used to work on cars through high school. I'd love to get a car hauler if this truck could handle it. I used a friend's Explorer with a trailer to move vehicles several times and I'd think the Canyon could do better than an Explorer.

That hulix of yours is well put together, Id probably last longer than any newly built one.

You lucky bastard. I'm a poorfag, and all i ever want is a fucking colorado/canyon. Its crazy how you can find a 2003 S10 with all the options for like $4500 but then you hop to the Colorado/canyon and a base model 2005 costs $7000 at the least. Its suffering. I wanna get out of this damn S10. Also that tranny clunk sounds nice in my opinion. I like driving slow through parking lots and hearing that metal clunk. It just sounds so mechanical which sounds cool to me. Also is your canyon the I5? Every time I'm going to pull the trigger on a Colorado its missing an option i really want. All i want is an extended cab, 4x4 with an I5 and a manual trans. Is that too much to damn ask.

1997, 130k miles bought from the original owner

It's an i5 automatic. I would have been pretty disappointed if it were a 4 banger. I've only ever owned manual cars. I personally would prefer an automatic if I'm going to be pulling things because it's less to pay attention to, but I've never used a manual for that so I dunno.

The newer colorados (2008+) with the 4bangers are making some decent power (185HP) thats the same as the fucking V6 S10s. And the I5s are supposedly making 240HP. Thats pretty crazy how an I5 is making the same amount of power as a V8 from the 90s. My 2000 silverado was making 300hp. The colorado comes close with a little I5.

Also manuals trans are actually better at towing/hauling because you can select the proper gear for the amount of torque you need. My silverado is was an automatic and when i would tow shit itd shift late as fuck going up a hill (even in hauling mode) with a manual you can select the proper gear everytime. Its really not much different from driving a manual with or without a load. Just shift at higher RPM