Been watching car crash videos compiled based on regions. Why is it only North America has pickup trucks...

Been watching car crash videos compiled based on regions. Why is it only North America has pickup trucks? Why are all other countries in the world completely ignorant of the joy of owning a pickup?

>Why are all other countries in the world completely ignorant of the joy of owning a pickup?

Nobody else needs to buy 600 pounds of mayonnaise every single time they go to a store.

Because its not a cultural thing in other countries

90% of people who buy a pickup for work in the US could use one of those Dinky ford transits isntead and not sacrifice utility

But working class men want to feel manly and its easy to justify a $60k truck when "its for work"

Other countries don't have the same "trucks are masculine" mentality

Pickups are popular in the middle east :^)

I don't know anyone who buy a truck for either of those reasons. But I do know a lot of people who buy them for the utility that a truck offers.

I have a Ute in Australia, the reason why American pickups are only popular in America is because in your country, they are relatively cheap, also fuel is more expensive and they are harder to park. Most countries don't have megamalls with parking bays designed to hold a Mack truck.

However if I decided to go and get a Toyota Tundra, it would start at around $110,000 AUD brand new, to put that in perspective, I could purchase a fully optioned Toyota Landcruiser Sahara V8, and still have change left over.

There's just no market for them here, other than a tax write off for some dodgy cowboy builder.

Pic related, I bought a Hilux for $44k

Also km/l, narrow roads, smaller parking lots in general, no Costco and other similar super stores where everything is huge.

I know I'm biased but I actually do not see the point of owning a pick up truck unless you really do need to carry shit around for work.

>and its easy to justify a $60k truck when "its for work"
My uncle drives a 2015 f-250 that his job provided

This. For the price of a burgerpickup, I could have a work ute, nice car and enough left for a house deposit and beers on the way home.

Thats pretty fucking high. Cars already cost way to much in America. They cost more and they are built cheaper and now they are making them near impossible to fix. All due to government intervention.

We own a truck because we haul wood. But even if we didnt we would still own a truck just because of the utility. Just cut down some bushes? Toss it in the back of the truck and dump it in a ditch. Working on your sidewalk, well toss some cement in the back of your truck and fix it. You can do that shit in a car but who the fuck wants to go through all that when you can just own a truck.

But arnt these prices just because all trucks in you crappy countries are imports? If you showed them there is a demand for the freedom of a truck, then they would build them cheaper in your country.

That must be it, a pickup is an expression of FREEDOM, which most countries just dont know about.

The market doesn't exist because no one wants them, ergo the grey market imports.

Ford used to sell F-Trucks from dealers in Aus up until the mid/late 80's, but when people started switching to jap utes which were cheaper to purchase and run while offering only slightly decreased performance, they pulled the pin.

It's not too dissimilar to what has happened to our local car manufacturing in respects to the Falcon and Commodore.

Also
>Australia manufacturing anything these days

Also houses are much less common in Europe. We don't have loads of space to expand like you, so a lot less people have a garden, or a sidewalk.
And everything you said is perfectly and comfortably doable with a car, even a small one.

I see the benefits of the truck, but they are completely trampled by the downsides, considered where and how I (we?) live.

Thats probably a good thing. Trucks in America are getting so big you cant even get stuff out of the back without climbing in the back.

climbing in the back is fun tho

Top fuggin kek, it's not the price that's the point, if you bought an American truck in Australia, people laugh at you, mainly because fuel is so expensive here. Nobody needs that size of vehicle when we have something smaller that can do more, besides, reliability is key in Australia, we avoid Jeeps like the plague because all they do when you take them out west is break down.

Because we can afford paved roads and aren't pretend cowboys.

Or you could buy a fucking trailer which has the added benefit of only having to drag it around when you need it, you faggot.

>inb4 fairytales about grenading transmissions

In the same way that many people in Yurop have 1.0 3cylinder FWD diesel citycars and super mini hatchbacks: because cultural, socioeconomic/financial, governmental and geographical differences.

>implying literally anyone does that.

That looks gay as fuck.

I'm euro and I have pickup truck.

Never ever used box for anything, never towed anything.

So basically pickup is answer to some problems people in Europe obviously don't have.

This.

And there's the american mentality. I don't know why but you seem to question your sexuality a lot over there.
"hurrdurr I need a 400hp V10 diesel behemoth to tow"
Nope, a diesel family car is good enough.

That looks ghetto as fuck.

Pickups are pretty common in bongistan now, but mostly as work or semi-work vehicles (like self-employed contractors)

Different culture, different history, different people. In short; completely different market

America has, for the most of modern history, been a lot richer and had a stronger economy than the rest of the world. This has allowed them to enjoy luxuries that the rest of the world couldn't. This is the reason why automatics are so much more popular in the US as they used to be much more complicated and expensive, which was not optimal for us europeans. When the T-Ford had been out for a few years and "everyone" in the US had one people were still relying mainly on horses, the odd bicycle, skis and similar tools of transport here in my country of Norway.

As for the history of where we live; Europe has a lot more old cities, which were designed and built without cars and other vehicles in mind, and therefore the streets tend to be a lot narrower, with tighter turns, less parking space and such, meaning that larger vehicles can be a pain in the ass to live with. The US has done a much greater part of its expansion together with the automobile, and built its cities, villages and streets with it in mind.

Another point I'd like to mention is World War 2. After the war Europe was pretty much broken, with a completely fucked economy and a whole continent to rebuild, while the US was left with its infrastructure untouched and having lost a much smaller percentage of its people. The US could enjoy prosperous times of trade with Europe as it was rebuilding (yes, the US did a lot of good things to aid us in rebuilding, not gonna deny that), while the average European would be dirt poor for many years to come. This would mean that any car they would buy would have to be fuel efficient, small in size and cheap to purchase. This is the reason why you often think of cars like the original Volkswagen Beetle, Citröen 2CV and later on the VW Golf as very much "iconic" european cars.

Another big reason, which I believe is the biggest reason we have, is taxation. Europe as a whole taxes their vehicles a lot higher than the USA, with taxation only becoming more expensive as the car gets bigger, produces more power, pollutes more and so on. This is a big reason why car-based vans with smaller engines dominate the market here compared to pickup trucks. Some american pickups do exist, but these are often found with LPG-kits or the smallest available diesel engine, if it has one.

The average person here simply does not want to own a pickup truck, there is generally no need for it. Most cars will be found with a tow ball, which can tow plenty for whatever small work the average person tends to do. The people who buy pickups here tend to be companies, independent contractors, the military and such. The market and infrastructure simply isn't made to accomodate pickups, wether they be small, relatively efficient ones like my old HiLux or an F350 SuperDuty, as both will be more expensive than the average car buyer here would want to pay, aswell as the fact that most people have no actual need of stiff suspension, 4WD, a bed and all that.

This doesn't make any sense because even up to the 60's pickups were just cheap utility vehicles.

Thanks for the chuckle user

What year is that why do I never see them anywhere?

He obviously thinks pickups were always the size of Macs. He doesnt know about our compact trucks, which used to be the full size more less.

mmmm dat ranchero

Cheaper than a Beetle? Cheaper than a Fiat 123? Cheaper than Skoda Octavia?

You dont seem to understand what "cheap" means. People could not afford a large vehicle that chugged fuel like it would.

That's a jap truck
Full size is full size.

Reading comprehension, please

A compact pickup is not what we'd call large, but they are still a lot less economical compared to the aforementioned small cars. You're thinking of a compact pickup truck as cheap, something it really wasnt here in Europe

Me on the left.

Nice try but no.

>Too dumb to flip the top image to correct the perspective

Twice the effort for very little difference.

USA ranks 7th for freedoms pleb.

australia, new zealand, all above you.

>only North America has pickup trucks
>all other countries in the world completely ignorant

Burgers actually work and need utility vehicles, unlike most of europe.

True, you dont see googles driving pickups.

>countries without freedom to bear arms
>above anyone for freedom

lol

>those dogshit body shaped beds with plastic trays with wheel housings poking in
>utility

No pickup will ever compete with this on europe.
None.

>Australia
>New Zealand
>Countries where it's literally illegal to own a gun
>Go to prison for trolling on Facebook
>oi matey i just got bitten by a spoidah!!!

kek

pickup trucks are attractive to women, i guess its due to their higher level of insecurity. the only pickup i saw last year in yurop was a raptor hauling ass in belgium, it was bizzarre to say the least.

it's a joke, retard.

>Only ever saw one pickup in my life, apparently driven by a women.
>therefor pickups are attractive to women.

Reminds me of the MSM's polling pools.

somebody save that for the next time this question comes up

>1st post
10/10 good response time

You spend $44k like an idiot.

Rangers are better in literally every way, bro, and modern toyota are not impressive with reliability.

I NEED A 3 TON PICK-UP TRUCK TO TOW MUH THINGS.
MUH FREEDOMS

also gas costs more

So as an example you post something that would be illegal in any 1st world country.

Good work faggot.

What's illegal about the pic I posted, Jamal?

The fact that the fucking dual axle trailer alone would exceed the weight limit, retard, let alone with anything on it.

Any stress at all from that trailer and it'll tear the rear subframe out of the car

That car shouldnt be able to tow that much weight... its extremely dangerous especially goin downhill. thats why manufactures and regulation set a specific tow weight limit on each car... there are other economin and safety reasons also

>The fact that the fucking dual axle trailer alone would exceed the weight limit
Any diesel can tow 800-1000kg, legally. That trailer doesn't even weigh 500kg.

>Any stress at all from that trailer and it'll tear the rear subframe out of the car
lol, watching too many movies are we?

It may not be legal, per se. But it can tow it. And that proves my point one doesn't need a fuckhuge pick-up for literally anything.
They have shitty cargo space compared to a regular panel van and any decent powerful diesel can tow legally what they tow.

>gets proven wrong
>gonna keep doing the wrong thing

Told you all, you just dont see googles driving trucks. Then they wonder why their shit breaks down and they are out in the walmart parking lot fixing it, because they cant afford a mechanic, or a garage.

You're a complete braindead cunt.

Just because you can PULL something doesn't mean you can control it. My F6 has enough torque that it could pull a fully loaded semi trailer, but the second there's any sort of crosswind my bitch ass would be doing whatever the trailer wanted.

I don't know what 3rd world shithole run by retards you live in, but towing 800-1000kg 'legally' with a little shitbox is dangerous to everyone on the road.
>that trailed doesn't even weigh 500kg
Yes. Yes it does. Look at the size of the frame, which is thick box steel, and how that frame will continue all the way back with 2 thick axles in the middle with 5mm+ sheet metal over the top of it enclosed.
That trailer weighs 600-700kg by itself. And there's a fucking van on top of it.

That's waaaayyyy to much weight for that automobile to brake with.

I'm sorry what I cant hear you over my gun I get to carry everyday in my waist. How free are you?

The only thing that counts as freedom is guns? Is your worldview that narrow?

>I don't know what 3rd world shithole run by retards you live in, but towing 800-1000kg 'legally' with a little shitbox is dangerous to everyone on the road.
My little 1.3 diesel can tow 1000kg legally.
Stop talking out of your ass.

If you lack the ability to protect your rights, you in effect have no rights and will always be at the mercy of those who can take them away.

>t. country which had the PATRIOT act as well as NSA spying on its citizens.

>he thinks reliability of a car has anything to do with if it's a truck or not
guess why the sandniggers almost exclusively use toyotas and not fucking shitty american trucks

you have guns yet you dont protect your rights, go fuck yourself.

america is not first in any kind of freedom or first in any list for that matter.

I'm not the one talking out of my ass, retard. I'm the one talking with actual experience from towing 3.5ton multiple times in the past, and pulling that fucking trailer alone behind a panda is a retarded idea and with anything more than a kart should be illegal in any reasonable country.

Have fun with your gutless shitbox towing 1ton, when it starts swaying and you can't power out or rely on natural stability from a too-thin wheelbase, i'll laugh at your dumb flipped ass while cruising past.

>DIESEL
>FIX
>IT
>AGAIN
>TONY

>TOWS 1000kg

Europes police cant even stop shitskins from gathering their children enmasse for the sex trade.

They're first in military spending.

All that money and yet they build tanks that can't idle, planes with oxygen systems that kill pilots and ships with big guns on them in the age of cruise missiles.

I work in construction in a european country so I see pickups every day. Some are company cars that are driven strictly for work, some are privately owned pickups that people use as DD.
But this is not in the city, it's rural people who drive them.

Now, I totally get that pickups have superior towing capability and they are better suited for some of the awful construction site roads, but murrifats also completely underestimate vans and how much work you can actually do with a van. And even though the roads I drive on are shit (dirt and gravel, muddy when it's wet) I still get around most places and get my business done.
The funny thing is that it's usually foremen and other people who don't work that much outside who drive pickups around on the site.
Meanwhile, the guys who do the actual manual labour use vans to transport their tool and materials around, even towing. We borrow someones pickup if we need to tow something really heavy. But some guys here insist on driving a van instead of pickup because it's more practical for their job.

No, its because vans look like shit and trucks do all of that and more.

I daily drive a full size Dodge ram.
My commute is 50 miles one way.

God bless America.

No truck looks better than a shortbed Ram.

When you post photos like this and say you "can tow", do you mean this in the sense that people will own diesel shitboxes and use them to tow regularly? Or are these setups typically rare cases that might come up a few times over the vehicle's lifetime?

In the former case, are the transmissions in diesel passenger vehicles more built than their gasoline variants? We don't have a lot of diesel passenger cars in the US. While many of our smaller cars are rated to tow some amount, most simply won't hold up to the duty on a regular basis.

Here we have richfags who buy Escalades, or sometimes dedicated heavy-duty pickups, just to drag boats or horses around, when normally they'd not be caught dead driving a domestic vehicle. Some of the fancier import brand luxury SUVs have respectable tow ratings, but again their transmissions don't seem to hold up to frequent towing of anything significant.

But of course in the simplest terms of "Can X tow Y", there's tons of stuff you can get away with- Toyota put on a big stunt about using a Tundra to drag the Space Shuttle over a bridge in Los Angeles- but that's not the same thing as the vehicle being suited to the purpose.

>look like shit
irrelevant if it's just a work car, people don't give a shit about looking cool when they're at work

>trucks do all of that and more
vans have more organization possibilities and the enclosed cargo area keeps things dry much easier

all in all it depends a lot on what job you are doing and what tools and materials you're bringing

I just don't understand why americans refuse to understand that both vehicles have their role to fill

>all the people in this thread arguing against American trucks are yuropoors who've never even seen one in person let alone driven one

They will never know the feel of the suspension when driving over curbs and potholes like they dont exist. The joy of not paying for delivery on their new frig. The pride of looking down on lesser plebs from their perch.

if trucks are so great why are there american vans?

Are you retarded? Having an open bed is so totally different than and enclosed van. Fucking Mongoloid.

Hard to hide children in an open bed.

>literally illegal to own a gun
false, I own a gun and I live in freedom land (NZ)

But the trailer is full of my bobcat

And who wants to hook up and park a trailer every time you go to home depot.

>freedom land (NZ)
>have to register minor mods on your vehicle

Yeaaahhh fuck off M8.

Never really considered a truck until I drove a buddy's truck the other day to pick up a few kegs and some food

Holy goddamn is it comfy and serene being so up high in a two seater long bed. I bet in winters it is max comfy.

Also being able to choose between 2 and 4wd is pretty cool

Always hated having to crawl in to a car.

My trailer alone weighs more than that trailer and van faggot

Yea, being 6'2" I typically find it awkward as well. Although for some reason my little 2dr Cavalier is easy to get into.

There's just something so nice about stepping on the footbar and opening the door to climb into.

Stop letting your mom sit on the trailer.

>register minor mods
false

Things like adding a turbo to a NA engine I do disagree with needing to be certified, but most things you can get away with

Trucks are boss as fuck in the winter. You can slam into a curb at 80kph and keep going or slide into a ditch and 4x4 your way out. Do that in a car or CUV and your going to need a tow truck and a set of control arms. 4x4 with a locker in the rear is better than most "awd" haldex bullshit systems.

Well we have to tow lbs here in burgersland so shut it

That's still unacceptable and very cuckish. The gubmint doesn't need to know what mods I've done.

You make it seem as if registering mods is somehow a big deal yet you have no issue with the US gubmint spying on your every move and selling out your country to the bankers.