What does Veeky Forums think of the canonisation and veneration of saints?

What does Veeky Forums think of the canonisation and veneration of saints?

The Church can never really be sure they made it to Heaven, right? Surely a few must have been unrepentant child molesters who are burning in the fires of Hell right now. It's just a statistical certainty.

Heretical pagan blasphemies and nonsense.

No one in Church or outside of church ever communicated with heaven, or ever tested a propriety of it... yet if you don't want to question your Pope or in the past the king with its ecumenical councils just better believe it - blindly.

\\\\\\\\dude preyin to a statue./////////
"pls God.. don't let my soulg burnd in eternal fire.. Bummer, do I have to say this every day? XD how f**king long will this take??!!!1"

(St. Appears__)_
"YOOOOOO, my man- ease on the hellfire friendo. If you wanna zoom up to the VIP secretion jus pray 2 me an I'll put in a word 4u with the big man, okay brah?"

~~~~humbled dude~~?
"whoa! a talking statute? far out! deepest gratitudes, my dude :^)"

[A /// W I L D /// M A R T I N /// A P P E A R S]
"1-000 salutations brother.. I could'nt help but notice that you are worshipuing a statue made of plaster. It would appear that you are contravening the word of dog, and undermining your sould's own self interest. Did not Moses Garza II outlaw the worship of idols? Farewell, brother."

****disconcerted dude=++++
"You justs popped up on my ipjjone's digemon stop. The statue and yourself are at an impasse. Good day to you, brother Martin"

Little did I know, fellows, that the good brother Martin would later become none other than Martin Luther. How could I know now, that he would become one of the most twisted fucking psychopaths of the 1th century?

t. ?

what did he mean by this?

Endorsed by Polycarp.

They were cool guys and all, but not significant enough to venerate alongside Christ. That's breaking a commandment, after all.

Paul didn't pray to Stephen, who was martyred.

Nobody prayed to John the Baptist. (nobody really asked a martyred John the Baptist to pray to God for them, either).

It's just what Jesus taught: TO God IN His

THE SAINTS ARE NOT TO BE ADORED, WORSHIPPED OR INVOKED. For this reason we do not adore, worship, or pray to the saints in heaven, or to other gods, and we do not acknowledge them as our intercessors or mediators before the Father in heaven. For God and Christ the Mediator are sufficient for us; neither do we give to others the honor that is due to God alone and to his Son, because he has expressly said: "My glory I give to no other: (Isa. 42:8), and because Peter has said: "There is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved," except the name of Christ (Acts 4:12). In him, those who give their assent by faith do not seek anything outside Christ.

THE DUE HONOR TO BE RENDERED TO THE SAINTS. At the same time we do not despise the saints or think basely of them. For we acknowledge them to be living members of Christ and friends of God who have gloriously overcome the flesh and the world. Hence we love them as brothers, and also honor them; yet not with any kind of worship but by an honorable opinion of them and just praises of them. We also imitate them. For with ardent longings and supplications we earnestly desire to be imitators of their faith and virtues, to share eternal salvation with them, to dwell eternally with them in the presence of God, and to rejoice with them in Christ. And in this respect we approve of the opinion of St. Augustine in De Vera Religione: "Let not our religion be the cult of men who have died. For if they have lived holy lives, they are not to be thought of as seeking such honors; on the contrary, they want us to worship him by whose illumination they rejoice that we are fellow-servants of his merits. They are therefore to be honored by the way of imitation, but not to be adored in a religious manner," etc.

SPOOKS

RELICS OF THE SAINTS. Much less do we believe that the relics of the saints are to be adored and reverenced. Those ancient saints seemed to have sufficiently honored their dead when they decently committed their remains to the earth after the spirit had ascended on high. And they thought that the most noble relics of their ancestors were their virtues, their doctrine, and their faith. Moreover, as they commend these "relics" when praising the dead, so they strive to copy them during their life on earth.

SWEARING BY GOD'S NAME ALONE. These ancient men did not swear except by the name of the only God, Yahweh, as prescribed by the divine law. Therefore, as it is forbidden to swear by the names of strange gods (Ex. 23:;13; Deut. 10:20), so we do not perform oaths to the saints that are demanded of us. We therefore reject in all these matters a doctrine that ascribes much too much to the saints in heaven.

From what I am reading in history, it appears that they just took all the ancient pagan gods and pagan rituals and worship and renamed them and brought them into the church, where were the church leaders, the fearless guardians of truth who should have known better and kept this out?

The Reformation was a mistake.

They arent all black my friend, pls dont be racis.

A common occurrence with all forms of human worship but misguided nonetheless.

From Paul onward Christianity was an extension of and the successor to the philosophical interpretation of Classical religion. It's only after the reformation that all that was thrown out.

It's creepy.

You only get canonized if praying to you results in miracles. I believe one is required to be beatified, and two are required for full sainthood.

It's basically European's Hinduism

This Explains it enough

And this

THIS DESTROYS PROTESTANNTS

>tfw you're a member of the universal, transcendent Church, praying in unison with the faithful both in Heaven and in Purgatory

When I hurt people I feel bad inside and my hair falls out

How can I fix this?

Monthly Confession and Just For Men

Not necessarily in that order

This will be the most insightful and succinct post in this thread.

That stuff doesn't work

I'm not sure if I would go that far. Some definite Hellenistic influence yes. But even as late as Julian pagans were having significant issues with the ethos of Christianity.