Veeky Forums's Worst Types of "Auto-Fanboys"

ITT: We talk about the worst type of fanboys. Be it fanboys of a specific manufacturer, a specific car, or a specific type of car, we vent our pent-up rage here. Let it all out, /ol/.

In my opinion, the worst type of fanboy is the Teslafag.

>"m-muh 0-60"
EVs get 100% of their torque/power all at once, so they of course of great acceleration. But EVs are quick, not fast. In other words, they have great acceleration, but "meh" top speeds.

>"Look at this video of a Tesla beating a Ferrari lol ICE-cars BTFO!!!!"
Notice that in all of these "Tesla beats (x)" videos, it's always a 1/4 mile drag race. The Tesla, being an EV, has the advantage (as I explained before). Drag races are more about acceleration than top speed, so the Tesla almost always comes out on top. And if there is a video of a Tesla LOSING to an ICE car, it's "well it's still pretty good for a family car" (which is still completely redundant as, being an EV, it still has an advantage regardless of class).

>"Elon Musk is the best person in the world!"
Musk is a good guy, he's a goddamn genius, and he certainly makes some good cars. But God damn. These people treat him like the 2nd coming of Christ. And ever since that whole thing with Jeremy Clarkson VS Elon Musk over his Roadster, he's always come off as a bit whiney. But regardless, these guys suck Elon's dick for their daily dose of protein.

>"EVs are the FUUUTTTUREE!!!"
Say anything positive about an ICE car, or say anything negative about EVs, and you get this hyper-elitist motherfucker all over your shit. Once I said that I prefered a BMW over a Model S and I got (from my memory) "How's it feel living in the past, Grandpa? Still enjoying your horse and carriage? Tesla is the future of cars. I seriously don't understand why people still buy ICE cars.". But the point is, we don't know. We don't know shit about the future. Most predictions about future tech fail. EVs aren't a new concept, either. Time will tell.

So Veeky Forums, what grinds your gears?

Other urls found in this thread:

wsj.com/articles/tech-world-vexed-by-slow-progress-on-batteries-1412552377
ecomento.com/2015/07/29/electric-car-battery-progress-slower-then-expected/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fanboys of any kind. How could you remain loyal to a company much less defend it when it fucks up?? Im looking at you ifags

I think you mean Chevy

while EV's might not be the future, gas/diesel engines certainly arent it either as much as i'd like.
not unless anyone comes up with a cheap alternative fuel to be used in those....
1.65€/L is too much and it'll only get worse.

Ecoboost faggotry
>Believing Ford marketing bullshit

Well I've heard that there are many alternative fuels that can run in almost all ICE engines, yet they have been suppressed by oil companies. Just a word of mouth thing, but it came from the mouth of someone who worked with cars all his life.

I, too, have to agree that Tesla fanboys are the worst, but Honda fanboys are a close 2nd.

There are two types of Honda fans: the Honda fan who just likes Honda for his own reasons. Totally cool about it. Then there's the 20-something faggot with his VTEC shirt and his riced out Civic covered in Monster Energy stickers.

0-60 is the most important performance metric for a daily driver.
batteries are only getting smaller, lighter and more compact.
electric cars have less moving parts than ICE which, in theory makes them more reliable.
batteries can be placed lower and flatter than an engine, giving them a lower center of gravity than ICE.
teslas only have a low top speed because they only have one gear. Add some gears and the will crush ICE there as well.
top speed is pointless and unusable anyway.
Fossil fuels are non renewable resource.
solar power isn't.
electric is the future.
deal w/it gramps.

Lithium technology isn't going to progress much more, they're already wringing every last bit of capacity they can out of them, which has been resulting in lots of fires and explosions btw.
Not the mention the fact that lithium batteries lose total capacity just sitting in your driveway.
Look what happens to a laptop after 3 years, the battery lasts half as long or doesn't even work at all anymore.
Guess what batteries the tesla uses, laptop batteries.
It doesn't really matter if they are flatter and lower, they still weigh an insane amount compared to a tank of gasoline, the battery is the majority of the weight of the car.
>add some gears
Yeah, and lose all your efficiency.

People who just say "cars from x country are bad" obviously have little experience with cars, because every country has made decent cars. People who complain about reliability obviously know nothing about cars as well or don't do any work themselves. These people annoy me more than specific brand's fanboys. But yea, fanboying is cancer, it's usually kids who know nothing about cars that do it.

It's only so expensive because of tax

>deal w/it gramps
Straight up proved OP's point.
>0-60 is the most important performance metric for a daily driver
We're talking overall performance
>batteries are only getting smaller, lighter and more compact
We have no way of knowing if this will continue to improve
>batteries can be placed lower and flatter than an engine, giving them a lower center of gravity than ICE
OK? Many ICE cars can handle just as well as an EV no problem. Especially AWD cars with computers to manage that.
>teslas only have a low top speed because they only have one gear. Add some gears and the will crush ICE there as well
wew lad See here >Fossil fuels are non renewable resource.
But we have a lot of it left. And if not fossil fuel we still have biofuel.
>solar power isn't
Solar panels are fairly expensive, and require mining as they require rare materials to produce. Plus, they require a lot of space to produce a lot of power (much more so than a power plant) as they are fairly unreliable in small numbers. If anything nuclear is better. We can't power the whole world with solar, let alone if all cars went 100% EV.

This. I'm an American muscle car fan, yet I like cars from all countries. There are only specific cars I dislike, not whole countries.

OP here

I've gotten all of the arguments from at least 5 times each. Except for the low center of gravity one. That one's new.

>china

>Fossil fuels are non renewable resource.
Maybe fossils aren't, but hydrocarbons are here to stay.

Fiat fanboys. Iv tried basic conversations with all the ones iv met. Yet they all drool shit and just sperg

be as it may its becoming so expensive that its already became something of a luxury to afford it on a daily basis... just speeding up the need for alternatives.eventually the prices will increase errywhere with things being and going the way they do

>Huanghai Plutus
Chinese Chevrolet Colorado

>Longer Yuelang X1
>Landwind X7
Chinese Land Rover Range Rover Evoque

>Lifan 320
Chinese Mini Cooper

>Geely GE
Chinese Rolls-Royce Phantom

>BYD S8
Chinese Mercedes-Benz CLK

>Dong Feng Motors EQ2050 HMV
Chinese Humvee

>Shuanghuan Auto Noble
Chinese Smart ForTwo

Seriously, the list just keeps going and going. This is automotive plagiarism to a new degree.

You forgot BYD F0, the chinese Peugeot 107

Oh, how could one forget such a memorable, original idea for an automobile!

>battery tech can't improve
[citation needed]
I feel like a $100bn industry will find a way.

>and lose efficiency
Argument is top speed not efficiency. Also you're wrong. Unless you're taking about final drive instead of transmission gearing.

None of these counterpoints are worth addressing.

Interesting, but it takes more energy to create than what it's worth. Why not just take the energy and put it directly into batteries?

>Argument is top speed not efficiency. Also you're wrong. Unless you're taking about final drive instead of transmission gearing.
LMFAO final gear IS the transmission in a Tesla, motors go straight to the wheel.

No shit dummy, we're talking about adding gears to get a higher top speed.
Try n keep up icefag

Do you even understand how the rotors work?

Do you even understand how gears work?

No room for gears in those drivetrains

this

>0-60 is the most important performance metric for a daily driver.
LOL, no it's not you fucking benchracer.

BYD (among several other chink companies) also rips off Japanese cars.

Yeah, here in my country the BYD F3 (Corolla knockoff) is pretty popular.

>falling for ironic memes
How's your first hour in Veeky Forums going? I bet you also think we mistake everything for a Roush or that we actually like Black Ice fresheners.

Meant to quote not .
On the 0-60 thing, however, I'd say 0-30 is more important.

I don't think you do. You'll lose effieciency, and drop significantly in your precious 0-60 time if you force the car to switch gears.

You think Elon Musk would simply have ignored the addition of a simple transmission if anything you're claiming were true?

>"I hate BMWs and their drivers because I am too poor to afford a BMW"

Brandfags are the absolute worst.
>Muh Chebby is better than yer Ferd/Doge/w/e
>Muh Ferd is better than yer Doge/Chebby/w/e
etc.

spotted the ferd owner

>getting towed by a ford
All of my keks

ayy lmao

Here we see how it ended in that situation

Nothing new from gm, kek

>getting beat by a jap V6
classic GM

I assume he's talking about overdrive gearing. Teslas, if they are anything like early electric cars (baker, Detroit electric) can and do have direct drive, which is fine all the way up to cruising speed. But at a certain point, getting the electric motor to turn any faster becomes wildly inefficient due to friction and heat - it takes a dramatic increase in energy to get the motor to spin just a few hundred rpms more. So to increase top speed, you can put on an overdrive - once the motor is at the upper limits of efficiency, it kicks in a transmission that allows the motors to lower their rpms to the point that they can produce maximum power again while driving the wheels at the same or greater speed

I'm pretty sure they would need to re-engineer the whole drivetrain to accomodate gearing. There's almost no transmission on a Tesla.

Thats why you have quick gear boxes and dual clutch systems for insanely fast gear changes to minimize the amount of efficiency lost ya kek

>damage control

And yes, I'm aware that the fordfags aren't representative of most of Veeky Forums

Because Honda is fun without being pretentious about it.
While not a perfect automobile by any stretch, it's always better built than American brands.
I agree with younglets ricing Civics and parading their fagottry all over the road.

>damage control
It's not damage control, even I shitpost about ecoboost. How to make a 750iL better? Ecoboost swap that shit.

>I-i-it's a joke, I was only pretending to drink Ford's marketing kool-aid! I'm using Ecoboost(tm) ironically!
>LOL I TROLL U

Dude, it's not even like it's subtle sarcasm. If you look at half the ecoboost post the posters pretend it's even superior to Ford's own more powerful engines. V8 mustang? Ecoboost swap that shit.

The Tesla Roadster was originally going to have a 2-speed transmission, but there were apparently too many issues. It's quite a bit of complexity to add for functionality that really only matters in very high performance use.

Maybe they'll take another crack at it when they revisit the roadster.

>battery tech can't improve
It's pretty simple. He explained it.
>None of these counterpoints are worth addressing.
user, you could've just admitted to being a shameless Tesla shill and moved on. But you chose this way...why?
>elon-musk-says.jpg
From the OP: "These people treat him like the 2nd coming of Christ... these guys suck Elon's dick for their daily dose of protein." inb4 "not an argument XDDD" Just a bit ironic.

>image macro
"XD"

wsj.com/articles/tech-world-vexed-by-slow-progress-on-batteries-1412552377
ecomento.com/2015/07/29/electric-car-battery-progress-slower-then-expected/

Top speed mattering...

My car when it was 174hp could beat a mustang if you gave us long enough distance because I had a higher top speed.

People who will shit talk a brand nomatter what, Hyundai and kia could make the greatest car ever, and people would still call them shit.

The >le fwd sucks XD crowd annoys me because they just repeat the same thing over and over completely oblivious to the advantages and disadvantages to different drivetrain configurations. I'm sure some of it is ironic shitposting but I'm sure there are a few hardcore autists who genuinely believe RWD is always better no matter what.

Left wheel drive is best

I drive a honda civic si and I fucking hate other honda drivers. I joined a few honda parts groups on facebook just in case I needed parts but these groups(specifically the bay area honda parts group) is full of fuccbois, beaners, niggers, and filipinos trying to sell their 200k + miles salvage title(due to "theft") integras, eg hatches, and crx's that they fucking ruined to be "hellaflush"

I like different types of cars from all eras. I can recognize the advantages and disadvantages of many cars. I hope no brand loyalty. I consider Korean cars trash mostly. Along with a lot of us cars, but there are still some great ones sprinkled in. I don't drive a manual and have no desire to. I care about performance but also want practicality. Gas mileage and reliability are an important consideration but not the most important. What type of car person does that make me?

This. I like all cars. I could drive a mustang or a civic and like them both.
I personally like big luxury sedans like the Lincoln town car.

Wrong. Even common power drills have speeds. Tesla actually developed a functional multi-speed trans for their roadster but it kept blowing up.
0-60 is the most important performance metric. That and passing power.
diesel fiat ever understanding this lmao.
Efficiency. You keep using that word but you clearly don't understand what is means. Gears exist to optimize efficiency in attaining an output goal. Without an increase of power, gears are the only means by which an engine/motor can simultaneously achieve a higher top speed and quicker acceleration. Tesla's don't need multi-speed transmissions as they already have a large enough rpm operating range and powerband using a fixed gear. Top speed above 155MPH isn't unattainable, just pointless.
>points that aren't worth addressing pt. 2
go read a book nigger
None of these cherry picked articles state that battery tech can't or won't improve.
All evolving tech has growing pains.