/budgeting/

How do I budget? I was NEET for over a year, clueless and reliant on mommy and daddy for tendie money. Now I have a comfy part-time job at Books-A-Million. I enjoy the work and the small paycheck I am getting, but how do I resist blowing all my money right away?

My goals are:
Save for car $2000
Save for new laptop $700
Save for monthly cellphone bill $45/month
Ideally, have $1000 saved in bank for "emergency money" and general savings

However, I am constantly tempted. I want to pick up new books (big reader), new clothes to look sharp despite already having a large wardrobe, xbox and games (never had one, longing for one for years), and so on. I am scared I will lose my money if I don't maintain self-control.

I already eat out very little and usually with my parents so they pay for restaurant bills. I do not have a car yet, so no gas bill or insurance. I have a home gym so no gym fee. I tried using an online budget app to track my spending but I want to make the next push.

tl;dr how do I not waste my new wagiebux as a reformed NEET? need to save money for life goals

Other urls found in this thread:

daveramsey.com/baby-steps/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm not really sure what you are looking to be told.

The only way to save money is to avoid spending it.

Create a system and stick with it; there is plenty to of information out there about how to create a budget.

Also, if you are in fact a big reader, check out the book 'The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People'.

Saved my life.

you don't need all those things

what kind of shitty car you get for $2k? better spend that money for bike or nothing

what kind of shitty laptop you get for $700?
Better spend it for refurbished business laptop for fraction of money

why would you pay mobile operator jew any money when you have internet

are you avid reader? that's great because you can warez more books than you will be able to process in your lifetime

Thanks. I believe my dad has a copy of that actually. I will try to work out a system to budget that helps me refrain from spending and keep track of everything.

A decent used car in my area goes for only $3k. My mother is going to help me pay the $1k difference. I live in the Midwestern USA.

You can get a brand new i7 Dell laptop for around $700, $750. Refurbished laptops are unreliable, sorry.

My job and my craft side-venture require a cell phone. Google Voice is a shit replacement for a real phone.

I have a Kindle and tons of books on it. But I enjoy having physical books. It's a whole different sensation.

Your mentality is really immature.

>I want to pick up new books (big reader)
Download free pdfs
>new clothes to look sharp despite already having a large wardrobe
thrift shop
>xbox and games (never had one, longing for one for years)
second hand

if you try to guillotine your enthusiasms you will burn out. instead introduce a reward system that allows you to gradually increase your spending as you move up the ladder. This will install motivation to get better and you will budget yourself automatically as you earn more money. Worked for me.

You seem to have thought a bit about this.

I think my only inputs on this are that you don't need the newest gen console. I still use my PS3, and I can get most games for nothing. It still works great.

Having a car is wonderful. But you are going to use it more than you think, so be aware that it is going to be a huge, monthly fee for insurance and gas. And once you got a car, walking to work gets much more of a hassle.

Maybe ask if you can borrow books from the store? Or get them at a discount

How much you make after taxes OP. Its important wagie

Budget sheet nigger. Also don't ever buy a book. You can get them for free.

>pdfs
Already do that, thank you though. The books I'd like in print are ones heavy on images or collectible sort of prints of classics and workbook/guidebooks

>thrift shop
I use this often with my mom

>second hand
I'll look into this, thanks

Yeah, a reward system sounds good. I have talked to my best friend about this and he is helping talk me down from making impulse purchases. I talk to him every day so hopefully he will be a good anchor for me.

My mom drops me off at work now, it's too far to walk. Everything around here is spread out and without a car I'm really, really trapped. So I'm prepared to pay the cost for it.

I believe we can borrow 1 book at a time for 2 weeks, and I do get a 30% employee discount. Thanks!

You say you walked 3 hours to work. Why don't you just buy a cheap used bike off Craigslist and bike to work.

You must be confusing me with another thread. I've never walked to my job, it's in the next city over. It isn't feasible to walk there.

>I want to pick up new books (big reader
Go to the library or buy on amazon for $1
>new clothes to look sharp despite already having a large wardrobe
Don't buy new clothes
>xbox and games (never had one, longing for one for years)
Don't buy an xbox and games

You people have no one to blame but yourselves.

Also, there are unlimited plans out there for like $30-35 a month.

Only buy new books when you've finished everything and have nothing left to read.

>I am scared I will lose my money if I don't maintain self-control.
So have some self control.

Hi OP, love this attitude. Go for it!

Looks like it's already done, but budget starts with money in, money out. You didn't give us your salary, so just look at last month and compare how much money entered your account and how much got out. Of course, the goal is staying at a positive by spending less than what you earn.

As soon as you get your salary, save 15% on an account you can easily access for emergency purpose. This helped me : daveramsey.com/baby-steps/

Do you have any loans? Money you owe to somebody?

It's good to have goals, great attitude once again.

Thank you user, in fact I already checked out the daveramsey site on my own and was reading articles there. I am going to use their budget calculator to try and keep my stuff in check. Possibly also a spreadsheet and I have been keeping all my receipts in a safe place so I can add them up and see my spending habits over the course of 1 month.

No loans, no debt. I don't have a credit card, only debit.

And yeah it feels great having goals and ambition again instead of being a depressed NEET. I'm so much more fulfilled.

consoles are a ripoff, buy a laptop for about the same price which should let you be able to play games within a ~3 year range and then just siphon off $5 bundles from humble bundle. A new console is nice but the cost isn't really worth it and with a laptop if you get sick of modern games you can pirate/emulate older ones at your whim for the low low price of free

How old are you OP?

I'm 19 and I have not dealt with managing my own finances before. Other than spending Christmas present money.

I am going to get a good laptop, but I just want a console for that comfy couch experience on a huge screen desu. I know I can get all the games on the laptop but I want to experience it on a huge screen with a controller in my hands.

>I know I can get all the games on the laptop but I want to experience it on a huge screen with a controller in my hands.

HDMI cord, any controller of your choice with SCP wrapper

Cost: ~ $70, same fucking experience, holy shit nigger

Damn I was I was 19 working part-time at Books-a-Million.

>but how do I resist blowing all my money right away?
constantly tell yourself you're poor you can't afford to buy anything other than necessities
also look at how much money you get a week and figure out how long it will take to afford and tell you're self you need to get that item in this period of time

t. college student who has his parents pay for everything outside of pleasure, who has a job, and is trying to start a business