Are they good or shit? I'd like to get a fun, sporty manual for my next car but I love the practicality of a hatchback

Are they good or shit? I'd like to get a fun, sporty manual for my next car but I love the practicality of a hatchback.

They are fun, practical and reliable as long as they are maintained. Don't believe the memes on Veeky Forums.

Get a Focus ST.

I've heard that they're reasonably reliable as long as you treat them properly, unlike japanese cars that are reliable even if you mistreat them

Buy an ep3 for 5k. Invest the rest.

I've driven the 2015 version a good amount, it's pretty fun. The DSG version is actually little faster but it costs more and Veeky Forums won't respect you if you buy an autotragic.

Don't get the base model, the interior blows compared to the higher trims.

The plaid seats are the best part, m8. I despise leather seating.

Suit yourself, I prefer the leather.

I thought the cloth seats were the best I've ever sat in, but people on Veeky Forums swear the recaros in the FiST and such are the best in any car under $50k

theyre good op

you comparing a golf gti to a base yaris?

I've got a 2012 GTI I played 11k for, and it's been real kind to me.

>little to no mechanical issues
>decently fast
>comfortable interior
>solid MPG

I mean in terms of German cars in general vs practical Japanese econoboxes

Posted in QTDDTOT

Should I get a 2015 GTI 20,000 km for $30,000 or a 2012 Golf R 45,000km for the same price?

Ultimately I want the better car, I'll bet it's the R, but the main thing is for about the same price I could get a newer car, that's what has me in a bind here. I test drove the GTI, but not the R, I'm not sure if the R handle significantly different/better than the GTI. A few factors I'm considering

>Golf R is made in Europe, the GTI in Mexico
>Golf R is AWD, GTI is FWD
>Golf R is my blue which I much prefer over the GTI's red
>Golf R is older and has more mileage, GTI is newer and has less

Too many factors, I can't decide. I'll probably be happy with either but I'm leaning more towards the R because it's blue, is more rare and has AWD.

I'm gonna get shit on for getting a VW, but for anyone that can shine a light on this, thanks.

If you're getting a [relatively] fun, manual hatchback then look at an MS3. The Golf is pretty underwhelming in all respects.

just get the r
looks like shit man

Got a 2015 back in July for 16k
0 regrets, fun as hell to drive and dat plaid

>just get the r

Could you give more of a reason? I think I'd be happy with either. I'm gonna test drive an R tomorrow and see if it's significantly different from a GTI.

Not him but it seems like the only downside is the age/miles, which is minor because it's still a very new car with low miles.

Yeah that's what has me undecided, a newer car, less mileage vs the 2012 with more mileage. I'm watching a youtube video comparing a 2015 GTI and 2015 golf R, the only real differences seem to be the AWD, some more torque and horsepower and the stunning blue color. I can imagine the Golf R has better handling, but it's not like I'm racing the thing. Also with AWD that will lower the mpg. The interiors don't look that much different, the guy even says he felt like he was getting in his Golf R. I think when it comes down to it, I'd prefer having better fuel mileage and cheaper insurance and where I live insurance isn't cheap. I think I'll settle with the GTI because they're pretty similar in almost every way and I'm getting a newer car. I think if the GTI came in blue I would have already bought it, but the red is still really nice.

Now I'm just rambling on and on, but this is a huge purchase but I think I'll be happy with the GTI. If anyone has any more to say, I'd love to hear it. Thanks anons.

The Golf R will probably hold its value better than the GTI. It should get similar mileage because its AWD system is Haldex (FWD unless the front wheels slip).

I don't see why you would settle for an inferior car just because it has marginally less mileage, but its up to you, man.

I did think about it's value too, and the fuel mileage will be somewhat worse because it has turbo and the car is heavier but you're right it shouldn't be that much of a drastic difference. But I'm still wondering how the Golf R 2012 holds up against a 2015 GTI?

I guess I'm more attracted to the GTI because I drove it and really enjoyed while I haven't driven an R. Also the R has turbo lag, I don't know how significant because I've never driven a car with turbo, let alone a modern car, but I know it'll bug the shit about me because I'm especially autistic when it comes to noticing things and stuff bugging me. I'm getting annoying with all these questions and I'm rambling on and on but I can't make up my mind, I don't want to buy the GTI and wish I got a golf r or vice versa.

Any car will pack it in if you don't maintain it.

People will be angry because of this image

Not really, everyone seems to agree that the M4 was a big disappointment.

Just be aware you'll probably become a douchebag the second you get behind the wheel

what site?

>when your flagship car with GTS trim and a wing can't beat a base camaro ss around a track

Do it OP. Even the base model is still fun to drive. Throw APR stage 2 on it and you have 300+ hp and 400 torque.

woah man, think you have this thread mistaken for the miata general

>119 extra horses
>Only 0.78 of a second quicker on a short track
>Only 2.8 seconds faster over 13 miles

Yep, it's a disappointment

Should I get a 2016 Golf R or 2016 GTI? The only huge difference to me is AWD, rest I can live without.

DSG or manual?

>sees your image
*slams fists on the desk* what a fucking bastard. what a "poster of absolute slime". every day i log onto this site and see morons like you post GUNK on this forum for pictures without any tactical couth. in other news my 28 year old balding son is currently doing a 5 year stretch for going "WONDER SHIT WILD" in the foodcourt of the Newton Pass International airport with a wooden replica of Raiden's High Frequency Blade and blaring the OST of Kill La Kill at max volume through his Zune and guess what he deserved it and i wont read the tabloids about this. if my son screams, hey buddy, he screams, and its just a byproduct of your absolute shitty posts and pictures go ahead and STOP POSTING NOW do it now i say

My mate has a mk7 GTI in that grey colour, it looks so much nicer than all the other colours and really stands out. My other mate drove his car and a mk 7 Golf R and said for the price difference he'd be perfectly happy with the GTI

Fastest laps

>no xenon or led

Why do people do this?

Because I'm inpatient and can do it myself for cheaper

>2k for lighting package

I have a mk5 model, theyre fun and adequate for really anything, 5 people fit in my 2 door fine. I might not recommend for more than a 3 person road trip due to luggage concerns tho.

without support mods I would be willing to bet you tragically reduce the lifespan of the vehicle.

neckbeard

From what I've read you don't have to do much. The stage tune is the ECU tune and the DP. APR didn't make any recommendations themselves.