So I am in the process of putting a T5 5-speed in one of these

So I am in the process of putting a T5 5-speed in one of these.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sell it and invest the money in whores and cocaine.

Where are you getting the pedal set? Got a donor car / junkyard source / aftermarket setup lined up?

Not that I am opposed to hookers and blow...

Picked up a set of 87-93 Fox pedals. They fit, you just have to cut off the excess. On 84-89 Mark VIIs it is pretty straight forward. 90-92 need a bit more cutting.

There is a walk through thread here that I have been going off of:
thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75

Be aware that on these V8 mustang T-5's, the 3->4 shift is much closer ratio than all the other shifts. 1-2-3 are as widely spaced as any gears in the factory automatic, and the 4-5 shift is a massive jump that drops the revs way down.

Because of that, you want to pick your final drive gears such that you keep yourself in 3rd and 4th as much as possible. If you're building the car for top-speed runs, you need a steep enough gear to hit top speed in 4th and reserve 5th for freeway crusing only. If you're building the car for rocket 0-80 pulls, you need to go the other way so that you can actually play out 3rd and 4th at highway speeds.

This is just for a cruiser/vehicle to haul my small aluminum boat.

Already have an offroad H-pipe and a custom catback.

If finding out that gear 5 is an overdrive gear is news to you this day and age...wew.

You can pick up a junkyard T-5 for $200. I've seen a few converted Lincolns, they are fun.

Nice. Always loved MKVII's

All of the junkyards around here are picked clean or are loaded with 2.3L 4-cylinder transmissions.

Get the aluminum quadrant like he suggested.
Get a firewall adjuster and an adjustable cable.
The plastic quadrant on the pedal has a ratcheting mechanism for adjusting- if you do an aluminum quadrant you need another device to manually adjust the clutch. The plastic quadrants strip/shred/fail.
Do not buy dealer or parts store cables, get one from steeda, Saleen or another high end aftermarket manufacturer.
Replace the alignment pins in the flywheel for the pressure plate.

I have a 50Resto aluminum quadrant and a Steeda cable on the way.

Hadn't thought of the flywheel pins. I will look into that.

Thanks

That's pretty cool.

I'd rather have a 5 speed crown Vic though. I like the look better

LSD?

Mark VIIs have a LSD stock.

My year has 3.27 gears as well.

That being said, I need to rebuild the clutch packs in it.

Look into adding one additional friction disk.
Old school racer trick.
And yes it will make noises like a Detroit locker for the first 50-100 miles, then will stop making noise and perform better than stock.

The thing is there's a huge number of T5 variants. My guess is that all of the $200 junkyard ones you see are the shit version. If you can get a Z code T5 for $200 then you should buy all of them.

Oh ya, check the bell housing for cracks around the clutch fork hole.

Shifter has a rubber mount between the handle and trans, ditch that sloppy ancient worn out garbage for some Chinese eBay short throw.

There's a guy in Texas that builds cobra spec t5's.
Steel front bearing retainer, tapered bearing, chro-moly 2nd/3rd cluster and carbon fibre synchros.

Like $800 shipped

Theres a very nice, low mile mk 7 for $3500 where I live. Should I buy? Can it be DD'ed? Can jetfuel melt steel beams?

damn, i want something like that, one of my favourite lincolns aswell