Anyone work as an automotive detailer? What does your day consist of?

Anyone work as an automotive detailer? What does your day consist of?

The reason I'm asking is as tomorrow I'm going to be heading up to a decent sized used car lot to apply as an automotive detailer / reconditioning agent.

I don't have a portfolio. In fact I've only worked on a handful cars & trucks. Mostly family and friends with the occasional neighboring neighbors vehicles. I've charged friends and family, even the neighbors. I enjoy doing it for work compared to anything else I've done. It's quite rewarding when you finally get to the end. Then you get the added bonus of seeing your work moving around town. I'd say it's something I'd say I'm passionate about.

Tl;Dr
>What does your day as a detailer consist of?
>Average check / going rate?
>Tips on getting a job as a dealer
>Do you get to use the bay afterwards? Place specific possibly?

I'd enjoy the job but I'm probably not the best candidate. Suggestions for selling myself?

Weak points include
>Interior stain removal
I've never had to do it so I don't have experience doing it.

Just say you have plenty of experience detailing friends and families cars, mention how you would apply with pads by hand and would like to learn how to use a machine buffer. They will know you are interested and willing to learn

I owned a detail shop.
AMA

how much do you think it should cost to do a paint restoration on my truck? when you rub the pain with your finger it comes out good.

Not OP but what is best sealant to protect paint? Jetseal?

Not him but you need to start with a good wash,claybar,and abrasive compound. All can be done by hand

Subaru mechanic here.
Detailers make next to nothing. You don't need experience to clean cars. Also the picture you posted isn't even what it looks like to be a detailer at a dealership. They occupy a small corner of said detailer where there is a wash baby and tiny area to vacuum cars and remove stickers and an xyzylon or whatever that stuff is. Also 95% of detailers at dealerships are Mexicans that can't speak English. Some of them are incompetent some aren't . I have no doubt you would get hired. Like all jobs you will be trained to do your job just fine. It's also your "foot in the door" to be a technician. Of course in my opinion, being a detailer is the lowest of the low. I started as a mechanic at Honda and now I'm at Subaru. So if I were you I would apply to be a technician.

Assuming no rust to repair or dents to bondo and a plain gloss color I'd guess $4k. The prep is the expensive part.

At my shop it would have been $55 for reconditioning and $35 for a wax to hold it.
Paint that old wont hold long

I don't own anything to apply it though, so what do you mean?

not repaint, restore the paint on it with buffing or whatever the dude on ammo nyc does.

it's got no rust

the paint is only 25 years old, it is just faded from oxidation and no clear coat.

Most sealants are the same
Low end
Medium
High
Price point follows quality to a certain point. Then price follows name.

>only 25 years old
>no clear coat
Wew

Does it have clear coat still?

Dude you go to autoparts store and get bottle of compound,foam pads to apply,and microfiber cloths to remove wax

Dont listen to
Youll end up removing paint with compounds. This is NOT good with a single stage paint

Light layers with minimal pressure, his paint is fucked. If he wants it to look fresh he should just get it repainted

No. Removing paint is not the answer EVER. Unless youre working scratches.
Which is pointless on this truck because of the age of the paint and the chips missing.

Is there any way to get this paint to look good without a repaint?

Nope.

I figured. It's got scratches all down the sides anyway from offroading so one day when I'm feeling rich I'll get it repainted.

Probably cheaper just to get one with good paint

That was the route I was going to go. Thanks for the reassurance.

Preferred products? I've been experimenting with Meguiars, Griots, and Ammo's line.

Waxing windows - yes or no?

Another issue I have is tires. I don't like the shine products leave so I end up rubbing nearly all of it off so it's just a nice dark black. I haven't found a nice tire product yet that I like.

Same question here as well. I've used Meguiar's and wasn't super impressed.

That's not what I wanted to hear. I can keep programming but the work is starting to die off. Five years ago there weren't extensive libraries for everything. I'd rather not be a mechanic. Don't get a lot out of wrenching.

I've been in the place before and I thought I saw a dedicated room for detailing. I'll have to ask when I stop in tomorrow.

Nah I have enough in this one plus a semi-sentimental investment in it.

Sorry dude that's just what it is. Expect to get paid 10-12$ an hour. You make more money in my position. You should find another white collar job since you don't want to get your hands dirty.

Forgot to add that since its just a used car dealer "ie, Tom and Jerry's autosales" it's not going to be a fancy detailing place. Some car dealerships have there own automatic car washes. But that just makes your job easier.