Silver

Is physical silver a good investment?

It is currently selling for about $18 for rounds and $20 for the Maples.

>Is physical silver a good investment?

Can you buy it for less than you can sell it?

Can you get a better return than other asset classes after adjusting for risk?

I think so

>Cleaning coins with numismatic value
Absolutely haram

If that was a key date, it would be a huge waste

Not been cleaned my man

It's poor man's gold but has some high tech applications. If you're okay with holding for up ten years and waiting for the commodity cycle to peak again, go for it.

a long term investment, maybe. Some say it'll protect your wealth from inflation, but recent years proved otherwise. Investing in physical short term is like trading currencies at an airport currency exchange place

The way I look at it is physical silver is an insurance against a complete collapse of the financial system. Otherwise you would just buy into a silver holding or a gold holding company like OUNZ. Starting this year I put like 1-5% of my net savings into gold or silver.

I was going to make a thread about this myself.
In the early 2000s the price for silver was ~5USD, and rose to almost 50USD in 2010, and dropped to now about 17-18USD.
>Can you buy it for less than you can sell it?
Not yet. Hopefully in a few years.
>Can you get a better return than other asset classes after adjusting for risk?
Personally, I don't have much money to invest. I mean, I'm not some rich guy with 100,000 dollars to invest. I just have 2000USD to invest. So something relatively low-price like silver would be good for me personally.
>Investing in physical short term is like trading currencies at an airport currency exchange place
By that you mean i would end up losing money?

I've been acquiring silver. Lately, I only buy bullion type silver when I can get it as close to spot price as possible.

I have an eye to the GSR (gold to silver ratio). At the moment it is high - gold is priced higher relative to silver than is usual. I think it takes around 75 ounces of silver to buy one ounce of gold. It can easily drop to 40 if you look at the charts.

I plan on liquidating my silver when this occurs to buy gold.

Looks liked a polished 21.
If it's a proof 21 that'd be pretty impressive.

What's the best way to liquidate silver? Pawn shops here don't give a fair price.

My friend joined the army, drank too much of the Ron Paul koolaid, and then wasted a lot of his money on silver coins nears its peak. A few months ago needed to borrow a few thousand from me and I was hesitant to loan him money so he sold me all of his silver at spot price ($14/ounce) instead. Now I have like 500 coins that I plan to hold onto until it goes over at least $20/ounce.

Private sales. Find a good coin shop that will pay you at least spot.

What sort of coins were they? Some coins have a semi-numismatic collectors value over the spot price.

Go to a rare coin store. Download the pcgs coin guide and you can grade and help you get a numismatic value on the coin.

I will buy them all off of you for $15 per ounce

>Mirror fields on a circulation coin
>No signs of age, despite being 80+ years old
Yeah it's been cleaned. Sorry mate, if you bought that for the numismatic value it's got next to none because it's been cleaned.

The raised features aren't frosted at all so it's not a proof or PL, it's just been dipped or polished.

What a waste.

Silver has worked well for me

not really, i bought at $15 looked like it will go up and then fell back. could take years before you can get out of it with profit. trends are not looking good mid term and look real bad short term.

>Yeah it's been cleaned. Sorry mate, if you bought that for the numismatic value it's got next to none because it's been cleaned.
uhm you are a retard silver only blemishes if it's exposed to humidity and sulfur. also you can clean it non-mechanically which only removes the oxides.

I buy about $1000 of gold and silver a month, mostly gold.

Its just a form of insurance for me.

With the increasing level of government interference and a move towards a "cashless society", then worst case scenario I will have something valuable to pass onto my children/grandchildren

>uhm you are a retard silver only blemishes if it's exposed to humidity and sulfur.
You'd be surprised at the number of things with chemicals in it that will react with silver and cause toning.

Not to mention circulation coins don't have a mirror finish, and that coin has a mirror finish.

>also you can clean it non-mechanically which only removes the oxides.
Cleaning coins in any way, shape, or form, will damage the original finish and cause a significant drop in numismatic value. The only exception is ancient coins of bronze or silver, which you clean with distilled water and time.

t. numismatist and part-time coin dealer

Sorry mate, you got ripped off. Instead of getting angry at somebody on the internet telling you something you don't want to hear, you should do some research and become a more informed consumer.

I started buying physically redeemable gold in a vault in Switzerland. There's a pretty great site called Goldmoney.com where you can buy gold for any sum of fiat currency and they will store it free of charge in a vault of your choice. There is a 1% buying and redemption fee only. You can also get a prepaid card in a currency you can chose which directly linked to the gold on your account, so you can basically use it as a currency. The fact you can chose the currency of the card is great in and off itself, because it gave me a possibility to freely convert gold into Swiss Franks (I think EUR and USD are dangerous currencies for long-term saving).

They also have an account option where you can buy silver, paladium and other precious metals in much the same way, but I haven't tried that out yet.

I don't want to shill the service, but if anyone wants to check it out, here's my referral link: Goldmoney.com/r/WPGOHB

Also, their stock is performing really well.

The major graders offer cleaning as a service

This man knows his shit

Yes, they do. It also doesn't deteriorate the original surface of the coin. Almost all cleaning methods destroy the original surface.

Point is, that guy has a polished coin with a mirror like surface. Circulation coins don't have a mirror like finish, and if you've got a circulation coin with one it's been polished or cleaned in a way that destroyed the original surface of the coin.

dirt and blemish is not what makes numismatic value you fucktard. it's purely the authenticity and rarity of the coin.

>Dirt & Blemishes
I never said dirt & blemishes is what determines numismatic value. Keeping the original surface in tact is what is important if you're talking about cleaning, and almost every method of cleaning coins destroys the original surface. That Morgan dollar doesn't have its original surface, and is pretty much ruined as a result.

Also, rarity is not really a strong factor in the value of a coin. In my personal collection I have a bunch of PL Mundy coins from Queen Vicky, with the original mirror surface and beautiful rainbow toning because they were kept in their mint boxes for a century. Despite the incredibly low mintage numbers (5000~ roughly for each part of a Mundy set), most of the coins in their current condition are only worth about 50 - 60$ US. It's about supply and demand. You can have coins with incredibly low mintage numbers, a low rate of survival, and high scarcity, that are worth very little because there is little demand.

that is when a real jew would hype up the demand after stocking up on them.

>Cleaning coins in any way, shape, or form, will damage the original finish and cause a significant drop in numismatic value

>Almost all cleaning methods destroy the original surface

Nice try

An ounce of silver should be around $7-12 tops before you buy.

You are only a bag-holder if you get in this late.

Tbh senpai you should put at least 10% of that insurance budget into crypto (bitcoin + smaller fraction of monero). It's digital gold basically.

Best website to buy physical on?

also best crypto exchanges? any nigger can google it, but what's actually good?

No because in the UK it isn't tax free like gold or longing the bitcoin on IGindex

Silver, I'd say start buying at $11 and really put some money on the line when it dips into single digits.

Gold, nibble at $1000 and then buy more until $800. Hopefully it holds at $800.

Oil, might have already missed the boat but $30 WTI.

You have to gauge sentiment from the sources available to you. Veeky Forums was pissing their pants and highly dismissive of anyone buying oil in early 2016.

the stubborness of these fools

try to sell this at a pawn shop or a coin shop. any private collector or even ebay

its obvious its been polished. Its worth pure melt value now.

Im not 100% convinced about crypto for the long term at the moment due to "dem governments"

If crypto becomes as good as it could be then the political left will just start to meddle. This will fuck it up.

Same here. I bought some at $10 or so. Lost track of the price when it was approaching 30. Probably should've just sold it. But, like you, I didn't have a massive amount to invest so it's not like I missed out on much.

Pawn shops & coin shops never pay more than scrap value. They always say that coin is cleaned, probably fake, and so on.
The rare coin/antique/signature industry is extremely crooked. Lots of lots of con men with criminal records & no regulation or scientific standards. It makes complete sense for a con men or crooks to go into this industry