What's the most demanding repair that you've done yourself?

What's the most demanding repair that you've done yourself?

Replaced a radiator support

Ive done entire engine rebuilds on pistons and rotaries
And assembled entire cars from a bare chassis.
Some day ill do a transmission.

Changed upstream 02 sensor. I haven't done much myself

Speedometer cable. Dropped the steering column, pulled the dash bezel and instrument panel. Realized the cable was wrong.

Replaced a timing belt on a 96 chrysler sebring.

Did a lot of work on this engineering mistake, actually. Kinda miss that car.

Replaced the starter and flywheel on my dad's 1978 Corvette.

Headgaskets

>Sebring
Engineering mistake is the best description that cars ever had. You don't have to be any more than a jiffy lube tech to learn to hate the things.

i repaired my car

Battery up under the driver's side front wheel well - never got over how stupid that was.
Although I will give them credit for making the spark plugs accessible. Lincoln towncars require crawling under the car and some subarus/porsches require a bunch of parts to be taken off just to get to the sparkplugs.

I guess I'm sort of used to a world where spark plugs are a maintenance item - maybe that's no longer the case.

Automatic air conditioning in a 2001 VW

most demanding? Heater core replacement on a jeep grand cherokee.
Step 1. Disconnect battery
Step 2. Remove interior
Step 3. FUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK
Step 4. Slide out heater core and replace
Step 5. FUUUUUCCCKKKKK
Step 6. Replace Interior
Step 7. Reconnect battery.

Nothing. I have literally never touched my cars engine. I don't even like cars that much I just like playing Forza

replaced clutch master and slave cylinder.

fuck working under the steering column

Replaced the battery. Nothing else has failed so far. I'm due on wipers though.

Replaced the clutch on a 1999 Passat
Trans rebuild on a 2007 Passat

Replacing center shaft bearing and giubo on my E30

Was made doubly fun when I found the exhaust rusted to shit and welded poorly by the previous owner that I couldn't even get it off, meaning I had to force it aside to get the driveshaft out.

I was paranoid the whole time about putting the two halves of the driveshaft together wrong as they are balanced a certain way and putting them together incorrectly would destroy the bearing I had just replaced.

Doesn't matter anyways as a few weeks later the car burned to the ground.

>E30
>burned to the ground
And nothing of value was lost

Does interior count? I had to replace everything inside my '79 trans am (w/t-tops) from floor to headliner. Previous owner had, I shit you not, glued super cheap house carpet to the roof. Getting all that shit out and refitting proper interior was a huge pain, especially because my autism required it be fit in perfectly, and the bits around the t-tops just didn't want to go. Probably because of all the glue remnants I didn't manage to get.

Had to change my own oil once

The E30 is literally a god machine. I loved my car and watching it burn was heart wrenching.

Don't reply to this post or I'll fucking kill you.

>The E30 is literally a god machine
Slower than a corolla

>he doesn't know the I6 was literally a god engine

Interior repairs are the worst fucking thing. All these shitty clips and plastic bits that never want to work as intended.

Slower
Than
A
Corolla

>he thinks speed is the only aspect of a car that matters
>he's never driven an e30
>he thinks the Corolla can match the 2.5L

I have though.
Its slow-
er
Than
A
Corolla

>get first car
>pop open hood and look around
>decide to check out the air filter in the air box
>box a little hard to open, stiff to move
>looks clean enough, close box up
>start car
>turns over but shuts off after a moment
>wat.jpg
>shitting myself nervous/pissed cause I'm an idiot that ruins everything he touches
>read troubleshooting guide in the car's Hayne's repair manual
>could be lack of fuel delivery, spark plugs aint doing their job, or problem with air intake
>i broke my car by simply opening up the air box

Turn out theres a hose that runs from air box into the intake or something that just came undone when I lifted up with top part of the intake. Plugged it back in and worked perfectly.

I am a fucking moron.

You're aware the 1.8L model wasn't the only version of the E30 produced right?

don't feed him user, he's just desperately trying to justify his shitbox & projecting his insecurities on you.

The 2.5 is still
Slowwwwwwweeeerrrrr than a corrrrrooooollllla.
How can you justify such a shit car?

>I am a fucking moron.

not gonna argue with you there

What's your GT? I love endurance racing

A 1989 325i is not slower than a 1989 Toyota Corolla

my sister had that car of the same year except it was green with a tan convertible top, was a fun car but now its my grandmas.

Sure thing bud. Whatever you need to tell yourself.

So are you actually gonna look it up and realize you're a retard, or are we done here?

I wouldnt say it if it werent true

I duct taped the glove box shut because the handle doesn't work anymore

Replaced the wiper fluid pump

Well looks like we're done here.

Confirmed retard/troll, disregard

Probably rebuilding a carb.

I don't own a BMW mate. 1989 corolla sedan made like 115 hp 100 ft lbs. 325i made like 170 hp 165 torque and didn't weigh all that much more than the corolla. Like 400 lbs

Not defending either but gearing can easily make or break those cars based on the stats you gave.

Done some engine swaps, where the first one was to a different engine rewiring harness can be troublesome, but as long as you get wiring diagrams for the engine you are putting in and for the car you should manage without to much trouble. Also overhauled a rear beam with torsion suspension. Complete interior strip and refit. Atm rebuilding my 4a-ge to get the MR2 back up and running. Going to start practising welding soon.

Clutch on MJ for most standard difficulty
Alternator on XJ for expectations (my tj was 3 bolts and a plug on top of everything)
Lift kit on a rusted XJ for complete asshole why the fuck did I ever. I mean I was under there for 8 hours cutting one spring out with a hacksaw blade tip, it was pre air tools, everything was butt fuck rusted and in my parents driveway. Good just the memories are horrible

Rebuilt an automatic transmission at a time when I hadn't ever done an oil change.

Dropped the gas tank and replaced the fuel pump. Gasoline fumes are gross.

Physically demanding?
cutting out leaf spring perch rivets off my truck to swap on 3/4 ton suspension in the middle of summer in Texas.

probably replacing a cv axle

Water pump, belts, alternator, and cam seals in one job.

I changed my spark plugs, filters and my oil. Feels pretty good, car feels so much better and getting much better gas mileage. Was at 10.3l/100km and after the changes i am now at around 7.8-8.2l/100km. Want to do my brakes next, maybe some new calipers and rotors plus pads. Don't know anything inexpensive i can do to make my shitbox any faster though. It's a Mazda 3 hatch 1st gen.

Replacing the oil pump on a 90s twin I beam 300 I6 F150 in January was all sorts of fun. What was more fun was replacing the instigator of the oil pump failure in February, the nylon timing gear.

m20 e30 took off the intake and replaced everything on that side coolant/fuel/air/gasket related

bitch was indeed a bitch

>bitch was indeed a bitch
bitch tube *

This. Took a bit of cussing but was worth it by far

Complete R&R of an automotive air conditioning system.

transmission input shaft bearing on a 2006 Mitsubishi outlander MT FWD. under warranty, naturally

Did a clutch on an evo X. God damn are those transmissions heavy and fucking shoehorned in there

:)

That's a mustang? How is she looking now?

I've removed all the top end stuff and installed with a different product, changed headers, changed midpipe, changed rear end from another car

:) Used to be a carfag

Haven't done it yet but my most demanding project is sometime next week I've gotta pull the throttle body and clean out the intake manifold.

Shouldn't take more than 3 hours provided nothing goes crazy, but I've gotta pull several things out of the way to get at the TB, and then the intake is disgusting, so that may take 20-30 mins to clean out sufficiently.

Head gasket. Done clutches on various vehicles (actually really easy on a 928). Rebuilt a few manual transmissions. Not a repair, but converted a '68 Dodge pickup to propane.

Hardest job: swapping 96 hpt engine into my 93 850glt volvo
Biggest PITA: timing belt 02 1.8t jetta
Most expensive(also longest): complete suspension rebuild on my S60R

Got a 97 Subaru Legacy for cheap with a bad motor. Built and installed an EJ22/EJ25 high-compression frankenstein motor. (EJ22 heads on an EJ25 block)

The only good parts from the original motor were the timing components since they had been changed recently.

I've done it all.
Including building about 200 of pic related.

Almost done :)
Just need to put on new bumper cover, fix exhaust, and get an allignment.