How far has Veeky Forums gotten on their project. I'm a few thousand dollars in so far with the following

How far has Veeky Forums gotten on their project. I'm a few thousand dollars in so far with the following

Airaid CAI
Bbk headers
Borla X pipe
Borla atak exhaust
Bmr suspension package

I have a good idea of what I want the final product to look like. I'm just not sure whether I want to cam it or not because that really changes the way the car drives.

What does "cam it" mean? And how does it change how it drives?

I mean put a different camshaft in. My cousin who changed it on his coyote told me that it makes normal driving a bit more tedious, which would be a hassle since my mustang is my Dd.

I highly doubt I'm going to keep it NA. I occasionally take it to the track and I'm slightly on the fence of whether I want a supercharger or turbo. The power on demand is really attractive in a twin screw.

Bump

My project is also my daily. Today? Put a new coolant reservoir bottle in, and finally drained all of the old coolant out, which was wayyyy past its prime. Pic related. Millions of things to do still. It's going to be a couple of years before I get everything exactly where I want it, probably.

>Vertical links
>Subframe braces and strut braces
>diff bushings and Subframe
>short throw shifter, clutch return spring and BF shift bracket
> x pipe and roush axel backs and CAI
> 10 inch x 20 wheels square
>gt 350 steering wheel
>one piece aluminum drive shaft
>cdc grille and steeda race wing, roush extractors
>ford racing Y Springs(1in drop)
>adjustable anti roll bars

Next is probably looking at quality pads and fluid. Also the roush and ford performance power pack tunes are finally out, really curious how the no lift shift option is going to work. If I could get close to 500 hp na I might be happy but the super charged or twin turbo option is tempting.

Dang that looks like molasses dude lol. But yeah I'm probly in the same boat, I probly won't have mine where I want it to be for quite some time. Planning for a wedding is expensive if you didn't know lol. But I feel really lucky to have a lady who's into cars like I am though. It feels good

I didn't see the 5.0 badge, am I blind or is that the ecoboosted model?

They were black badges. Trying out red ones at the moment, I feel like plastic chrome sort dulls the guard green worse than it already is in low light. I like the red gt but I'm on the fence about the 5.0 badge.

Pretty sure ecoboosts don't have hood heat extractors normally.

They don't. I didn't think on that though.

Yeah, it's REALLY fucking dark. Still smells like anti-freeze, still moves like water, but it's obviously broken down past being useful. Spent a few hours making sure every drop that I could get to of the old coolant was out before putting the new stuff in. Still tempted to run the new stuff for a while and pull it out and run a proper cooling system flush through there, but I don't even know if that shit works. It's not even like I had any actual issues with the cooling system, the thing maintained perfect temperature, but I want to get it sparkly clean everywhere. Inside and out.

Always run water for a few days with maybe a flush additive to sort all the old shit still in the water jackets out as best you can. You use distilled water then to make it last longer.

Yeah, distilled water I know about. Spring water and purified water still have ppm of shit that reacts badly in the water jackets. I'll have to drain the current coolant and store it for a few days to do the flush, then. The main issue being that the plugs in the engine block are rusted to fuck, and one of them is sheared off, looks like. So that one will have to be drilled out. *maybe* that works and grips the thing and yanks it out, but... I doubt it. Already have them both soaking in PB. Gotta love that stuff.

Pic before leaving work.

The red emblems stand out.

I'm thinking of setting aside another 3k around February for more parts (gotta love that semi annual bonus). I've just been on the fence for ages about changing the cam. I know it'll probly give like 40 or more HP but I'm not sure how I feel about any drivability changes. Wish I knew more people that did it so I could ask

What do you drive anyway?

It's a 1989 Ford Bronco. 302ci/5.0L engine mated to the AOD 4-spd transmission. Got about "124,000" miles, but the odometer only reads 5 digits, so that's taken on somebody's word. All I see is 24k. Could be 224. Could be 724. Did a compression test the day before yesterday, and the every single cylinder is between 180 and 190, so the engine is healthy. Looooots of rust to take care of, though. And 10mpg. New plugs should help the gas mileage a bit, at least.

Felt the same way about the aluminum driveshaft, finally my curiosity won out though.

Camshaft is the brain of the engine.
It defines all potential and behavior.

I've been building engines for 25 years.
You can do the bolt on route. But it will still just be a "stock" engine.
If you want to unleash the beast, start reading the mags and hitting v8 forums.

So what's your opinion on how they affect the everyday drivability?

i loved the Broncos. My uncle had one when I was younger and went full on dukes of hazard over a snow bank one winter.

how is it with the aluminum DS? I want to get it for my mustang, would like input on how different it feels with the 'less rotating mass' translating to driving.

Yeah, it's a love/hate relationship. It's a cranky old fuck, but we're warming to each other. I'd love to Dukes of Hazzard it, but the closest I've gotten is getting it a bit sideways while leaving work. Maybe after the steering and suspension are fixed.....

Does feel slightly more immediate but will really punish you if you're not smooth, just letting off the throttle completely sometimes or shifting to second at too low of rpm and you'll get feed back from your drive train. Without all the slop from the factory it can train you to be better I felt like anyhow. Get slightly more resonance at higher rpm. If I had to buy one again I'd probably step up the the carbon fiber because they are supposed to have less comfort issues. Overall if you aren't boosting the car or doing any drag racing I'd probably skip it.

For reference, your engine has more than one camshaft. Also, there are many different grinds of cams that will affect how the car drives in different ways. Some camshafts will feel the same as stock, some will not. Many times it can be remedied through refined tuning and/or gears. That being said on your car it's a fairly pricey upgrade for not much gain. Save for forced induction.

Well yeah of course there's more than one lol. I'm a little slow but not that stupid. How are the ford racing camshafts if you've had any experience with them? From what I've seen I could gain about 30-35 additional horsepower, and it would also make changing the intake manifold and throttle body a bit more impactful, won't see much gain at all with those mods unless the cams have been upgraded.

An aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft is one of the things on my list. I didn't realize they would weigh so little. Only like 15 lbs

The stock one is an unbelievably heavy bit of pig fat no doubt.

Well at least you now have a club to defend your home.