Why do we still use OHC, Solanoids have been around for years. This is not new technology

Why do we still use OHC, Solanoids have been around for years. This is not new technology.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f4p-55a3WV8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because the technology hasn't been refined for constant high acceleration in an ice.

Someone explain these
There's no way an electromagnetic solenoid is quick enough for an ICE.
Is something else at play here?

MUH PUSHRODS INTENSIFIES

no it actually is, developed by McLaren or some shit

Even so you can't make one that lasts there's too much resistance.

Isn't dodges multi-air engine like this with the intake valve?

Yet another engine layout pushrods are inferior to.

Nothing new here

>dodges multi-air

kek

I just fired up an FE engine with 1966 pushrods.
Good luck trying that with so!enoids...

because they fucking BREAK OP
A LOT FUCKING EASIER THAN RIDING A CAMSHAFT I TELL YOU WHAT

good 'ol 352 edsel

that guys a douche

because they're stupid and just another thing to have go wrong with the car

I don't think their are any solenoids out there that have the response or power to actuate ICE valves.

Hydraulic or pneumatic systems though...

youtube.com/watch?v=f4p-55a3WV8

Koenigsegg.

Since you're such an expert on solenoids and their design, why don't you make yourself a millionaire by designing a robust, heat resistant, vibration proof, high speed, low cost solenoid for use with poppet valves in engines?

it's pneumatic

do they put these in non-interference engines only?

can't be good to fail open in a interference engine

The spring will shut it

electronics a shit

This.
The failure mode of 'free valve' pneumatic or solenoid driven valves is to leave the valves closed.

Because OHC is cheaper and less fucky

why would an electromagnetic solenoid be not quick enough? I dont see a reason why its not possible from an engineering stand point. 2nd year ece student here btw

Getting a timing job done is often expensive as fuck because it involves pulling the engine, ESPECIALLY if there's any sort of variable valve timing shennanigans involved. Having individual solenoids or pneumatics could be a favorable tradeoff of losing reliability for infinitely easier and faster labor.

Solenoids (and electric motors in general) are relatively huge inductive loads. Impedence is gonna rise the faster and faster you try to cycle them off and on. I don't know off the top of my hear if that's the practical limit, but it might be a factor.

>Getting a timing job done is often expensive as fuck because it involves pulling the engine

Not usually, not.

Desmodromic valves are the future

uh no
I'm pretty sure no car manufacturer is going to go from adjustment free, quiet hydraulic lifters to noisy desmo with its need for frequent adjustment

You guys know how fast engines spin right? If a belt/chain snaps, there's no "Oh wait I just went WAY out of time I'll throw a check engine light and then fail" You'll break that chain at 4k RPM. No valves in the world will react quick enough to shut immediately before they impact a piston.

I think the idea is that there's a degree of freedom for the valve to displace instead of zero. There will be material damage, but much much much less so than a valve having no where to go with except into a solid camshaft.