>300bhp V12
>3 speed automatic gearbox

Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VTCfJKNE2hg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>british made
there's your answer, toni

300bhp so around 275hp converted? what is it, 5.5L? weird for a british power but can be okay in american vehicles with small output and big displacement.
probably makes a unique sound too. jags have never really cared about vehicle duration so why not?

3 speed automatic because of old school and not very good rev matching tech. hell, no one cared about fuel consumption back then especially if you're getting a w12 vehicle. might as well have a few overrevs before you shift

Because the 4 speed Borg Warner transmissions from the straight 6 cars couldn't handle the power and torque of the V12. So they went with a strong, reliable trans from GM. There were manuals, but not in the US.

I've asked myself the same question OP. They could have just taken the 4L60E or something.

Yes but one of these even driven conservatively gets like 10mpg, I don't think I need to explain why 3 gears is horrible for fuel economy.
Bit of a wasted effort considering these are probably the least reliable cars ever made, between engine and electrical problems they pretty much ruined Jaguars reputation to this day.

300hp because 70s tech. Benz 6.9 liter produced less than 300hp.
3 speed auto because lots of torque so who really cares.
Keep in mind the 70s were not a very good era for the british car industry,.

>Keep in mind the 70s were not a very good era for the british car industry,.
Really? What makes you say that?

youtube.com/watch?v=VTCfJKNE2hg

>Because the 4 speed Borg Warner transmissions from the straight 6 cars couldn't handle the power and torque of the V12.
Series 3 e-types had the same engine and manuals. They used those manuals till then ran out and no longer offered them.

They market simply did not want manuals in the xj-s.

the 3 speed was eventually upgraded to a 4 speed.

>the 3 speed was eventually upgraded to a 4 speed.
I'm not convinced 4 gears is enough, it's the one thing stopping me buying an X300 Jag. I fucking love the looks and personality, but I just can't bring myself to go and look at one because I know it'll be a dog to drive.

X308 all the way, desu.

>300bhp so around 275hp converted?
Wait, 300bhp... converted to 275hp?
How exactly did you "convert" bhp to hp?

bhp at the crank doesn't translate to the amount of power you actually put down to the road.

A '400bhp' car like an E39 M5 will probably pull something like 335bhp on a dyno.

i know your feels. I have a sweet spot for the x300 xjr. I also love the look of the xj-s, but i have read enough to know the v-12 just can't make power cheap.

Right but you can't "convert" it on paper like that. There's no formula you can just plug bhp into and get hp out. There's way too many variables. The 275 number is pulled straight out of your ass and also probably off by at least 30hp.

>They could have just taken the 4L60E
>xjs production started in 1976
>4l60 production started in 1992
Are you old enough to have a license?

I'm not the guy you were replying to, I also don't know why the guy used the terminology he did unless he's Australian or some shit.

People generally use 15% drivetrain loss as a rule of thumb. Cars with open diffs lose a tiny bit less, cars with AWD lose quite a bit more.

They just look so amazingly sexy, plus they don't have the urinal centre console like the X308's do. To be fair though the X308 looks almost identical and has a way better range of engines and transmissions. I've hate automatic transmissions to the absolute core, the Jag XJ is literally the only car I've ever considered buying that has an automatic, I just love how they look.

I plan to buy an X308 XJR, from what I gather they aren't terribly costly to maintain given that they produce a silly 370bhp, a huge amount considering how cheaply they can be picked up. Luckily in the UK no one wants big cars with big engines anymore because of muh fuel prices.

I need to just turn up to some garage and drive one, I just hope its not a case of never meet your heroes.

A T10 or Super T10 from that era would have bolted right up to anything a 3 speed auto would have. Plenty strong enough for the anemic V12.

and whine, howl and shift like you're stirring a bucket of rocks. It was a malaise era luxury gt not a sports car. the later aston virage used a 3 spd auto and a 5 speed zf, most reviewers preferred the archaic slushbox because the mt was too balky for a luxury marque.

T10 and Super T10 aren't really that clunky or loud. Maybe for a luxury car, I'll give you that. But they weren't anything near M22 Rock Crusher status.

700R4 production started in something like 1982 and it's merely the 4L60 prior to the standardized naming convention. It should be noted that the XJS initially used a Turbo 400 and when an OverDrive trans was finally used it was the Turbo 400 based 4L80E, not the lighter duty 4L60E.

I have a "300bhp" car that in fact puts out 245whp im fairly certain this 3 spd auto jag is probably putting down 190-210 whp that th400 is tough to turn

So much no, nope, not even.

A 700R4 is note merely a 4L60E prior to standardized naming convention. A 4L60E is an electronically controlled 4 speed auto overdrive that requires an ECU. A 700R4 is a 4 speed auto that is not electronically controlled and does not require an ECU.

Sure they may be based on each other, but a a 4L60E /=/ 700R4 and a TH400 /=/ 4L80E being a in a rough lineage of otherwise different transmission families.

And where did I say E? For 1993 there was the 4L60 that was NOT electronically controlled, which means 700R4 by another name, and YOU yourself said 4L60 so how am I to know you're actually meaning 4L60 E!

Also learn what "-based" means. Hint, it doesn't mean exact copy

Even a 93 4L60 is not a 700R4. Get fucked you can post all you want, but you don't know shit, and your "facts" don't matter.

>manuals
>not in the US
fucking why

Jag's weren't really bought by people who like manuels. If you search for a proper Jag (XJ, XJS, XK8 etc) you'll be very hard pressed to find a manuel.