So what's the biggest downgrade you've ever done in terms of car ownership? like going to an older year or worse car

So what's the biggest downgrade you've ever done in terms of car ownership? like going to an older year or worse car.

Two years ago before I moved out, my dad went from a 2008 Passat 2.0t highline to a 2003 Jetta base model. We went from comfort and okay power to slow shitbox real quick.

From a sl 500 (r230) to a 2013 jeep grand cherokee. Both are daimler chrysler shit tho

Sl

Cherokee

I went from a 2005 Subaru Outback XT to a 1991 Prelude Si. What a trip.

My friend went from an Audi TT to a Honda Civic when the TT became too much to maintain after only 2 months of ownership lel,

i had a 94 dodge stealth twin turbo, my next vehicle was a s10 with a 5" lift... the handling downgrade was extreme, now every car i get cant even compare to the stealth

What year was the Merc? Grand Cherokees are still nice, especially if you got a couple options.

I went from my '97 Explorer with tons of options to a '02 Cavalier with 2 doors and manual everything. It was a newer car but damn that thing sucked. The Explorer was older but it was really nice when new.

Fully loaded 2007, the cherokee is nice but its the v8 limited not the overland that has all the goodies

I went from a 94 accordt to a 98 a4. The honda kept breaking down ironically while my audi has been strong since I bought it

But if i think i downgraded with the cherokee my father must have won the most stupid son of a gun ever. He sold his 993 turbo 4 years ago and now drives a fucking gmc yukon denali. Its so sad, but he is old now. pic related the 993

:'(

Most stupid son of a gun award ever*

Stepping "down" into 80s-90s American V8s has been my MO for like the last three years. It's been great.

Im worried about when I switch from an 04 Silverado to any classic car. I'll be happy with power brakes, and I've got manual everything else along with a shit ride, no power, and no room. So it's gotta all be up from there, right?

my wife traded a 97 xj cherokee for a 05 grand cherokee... that is probably the biggest downgrade as the grand cherokee is a pretty big pile of shit.

I just bought a 93 Cherokee. Is 5th vehicle tho

Went from a Miata to a sc400.

Switching from my first car to my current one was a downgrade in terms of power. The new car is heavier, and the old car allegedly had the same HP, but some previous owner had fucked with it and changed the intake and stuff, and it accelerated like a scalded cat.
Absolutely everything else is an upgrade, though, and the payments are less than foxing shit as it breaks.

90 Camry in great condition -> 06 corolla

Why god

You take your car to a mechanic?

I keep track of parts on my cars and I come out ahead running shitty beaters.

Have owned several cars all but one had over 180,000 miles when I bought them.

But dat V8 power doe that must have been a trade off for handling.

2002 Corolla to 1986 Corolla GTS.

I traded reliability for fun.

4.0L V6 Toyota Land Cruiser with lush interior to a badly abused 1.6 2001 Citroen Xsara.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Traded a 74 comet gt for a fucking 89 spider that blew up on me 2 hours later

Worst decision ever

Went from a 2010 BMW to this piece of shit.

Went from a 2006 audi a4 to 2012 Hyundai Genesis coupe. Meh... wasn't horrible, but one sucks for quality while both suck for reliability. Went to a honda crz after and was happy with something neither of the previous could offer: reliability and gas mileage. Then I went to a slew of other cars. Wow... 19 cars since I was 16... only 30 now.

Bruh i went from a twin turbo subie to a chevy s10 with 4 inches because i needed a work truck to get to rural job sites.

I three-wheeled it around corners for a while before i got used to it.

I recently did somewhat of the opposite. Went from a competent and reliable but pretty boring and drab '12 Civic LX (53k miles, sold for $11k on CL) to a '96 Lexus ES300 (203k miles, bought for $1600). Absolutely loving the comfy "fancy-Camry" interior quality/assembly is GOAT

Went from 2009 e63 to 2012 gs350 and from that to the 2014 scenic and now Skoda fabia.

Biggest downgrade was from benz to gs. It's been free fall since.

Pontiac Fiero to Pontaic Aztek.

I never want to downgrade again.
It just makes you feel like you're failing at life in your current financial state of affairs.
..when you fucked up and need A to B that badly.

From golf GTI Memesport to Golf 1.2TSI Comfortline

that car was the worst car i ever owned in my life, after a manual base model 2001 honda civic.

pray to god you never drive in anything worse than a mild snowstorm, and keep 3000 dollars on hand at all times just in case something breaks.

Ive done the opposite with my cars. Shit box Daihatsu feroza that had the central locking stuck on and went through two batteries. Now drive an impreza RV Hatchback. Everything is a trade up.

Went from $2200 dollar 300zx z31 -> $1000 subaru legacy ->$500 honda Civic. Drugs were involved.

I'm still stuck in shitboxes but one of them has a swap at least

I think you were doing something wrong and not the car. Friends that have owned Camrys reported nothing but bulletproof reliability

I briefly went from a 2003 BMW 330i 6-speed to a 2001 Corolla S with an autotragic. How two cars made roughly the same time managed to be so different I'll never know

Huh?

Sounds like you had shit tires and a shit car.

Certainly mine isn't perfect (power steering feels like it occasionally drops out after car has been driven for a while, ABS light is on after front wheel bearing replacement according to PO, clunk in rear suspension traced to swaybar bushings, brakes need done all around, due for t-belt) but on the whole this thing is in incredible shape. Transmission shifts very smoothly, engine is damn near silent, the original 204k mile suspension still rides pretty well and by the looks of it has never even had a ball joint or bushing replaced. I'll be tackling all of the issues here shortly. So far I've only spent $150 for a full Powerstop 4 wheel rotor/pad/hardware kit, $30 on swaybar bushings, and $30 on hood struts. I anticipate another $190 for a quality Aisin t-belt/tensioner/WP kit plus some labor to farm it out to my brother for the installation, and then some new good quality all season tires before winter hits. I'm in Central Indiana so I'm waffling on whether I even need to buy snow tires to put on some steelies for this thing. I'm leaning towards no. I'm going to sit on it a while, but I'm contemplating replacing the struts as well. Depending on if I go OEM or do a set of Gabriels (don't like the stiff ride of KYB) that will be another $500-700 with installation.

>So what's the biggest downgrade you've ever done in terms of car ownership?

I've been driving my Yugo and repairing it year after year. I wanted a change so I bought a BMW 735i. Now the BMW has a CEL light on the dash. Was this downgrade too much? Should I move back to the Yugo?

What a cuck

E39 M5 to 2009 Astra 1.1i. When I put the M5 in for a big set of mind-ease preventative maintenance for a week.

The old car had five new tires, new brake caliper, all the brake lines, brake fluid, and still needed new piston rings, oil pan spot-welding to fix the leak, and a new rear wheel.
I don't have the tools to fix an old piece of shit, or the patience. I also didn't have the strength of joints to drive anything that stiff.

So now I drive a better-looking newer car with better handling and new toys in it, and a stereo that keeps settings.

A cuck with a 993 as a daliy driver for 16 years and diablo for the weekends. Not really friendo, bet he sold his diablo and 993 for twice the price the shithole u live in :^)

How much of a nigger is he? I have a 2.0 TFSI, got it as a first car when I was 20, and it's not that expensive....

Went from a 2002 is300 with an upgraded audio system to a 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero.

It's almost a side grade these days because I came to like the Saab. It handles worse, it's more pig fat, it's fwd, and I can't connect my phone to the speakers because it didn't even have an Aux (let alone Bluetooth)

BUT it cruises the highway super smooth, it's manual, it cost me $150 to give it +65tq, and the front seats are comfy as fuck. I doesn't make me feel like a boss like I used to when I got into my is300 but it has really grown on me. If only it wasn't rusting and starting to get a bunch of mechanical issues (161000 miles), I would keep it for another few years.

It has enough torque to make even faster cars feel unsurprising, so I can't go back to 150hp shit boxes now :(

My only way forward is either same kind of V8 or at least a WRX for a sporty practical car that I can beat on for the next 10+ years.