Assuming that the price is about the same, would you rather buy a used Limited STi or a brand new Limited WRX?

Assuming that the price is about the same, would you rather buy a used Limited STi or a brand new Limited WRX?

The STi has been undoubtedly beat on and abused for 30,000 miles, gets poor gas mileage, has a rougher ride and has the old EJ, and suffers from some old-school turbo lag.

The WRX, however, doesn't have the trick center differential, is missing the limited slip differentials on front AND rear axles, comes with heavier wheels, has a worse/mushier shifter, and has to make due with an electrically assisted steering rack.

You're right that STi has had the absolute shit kicked out of it in those 30K, and the engine is a dinosaur.

I would get the WRX, make use of the fact you have a brand new vehicle that has full factory warranty and then when you're close to out, slap a big turbo on her, grab your supporting mods and a tune and laugh at the guys in the STi's. That center diff shift doesnt mean squat. Neither does the rear. It's AWD, my old blobeye wrx that had some mods and was just a cobb stage 2 OTS map, shit all over stock and a couple modded STi's. Get new, and work it into what you want from there. That FA20 engine is miles ahead of the EJ.

Fuck Subaru owners.

Never met a Subarcuck owner I liked. Bunch of try hard vegan fucks

If rather light myself on fire than drive a Cuckbaru

>Bunch of try hard vegan fucks
I think you're thinking of VW owners

What was his name, user?

Definitely VW owners.

>this bootyblasted

Did a Subaru fuck your dead Mom or something?

Most (enthusiast) VW owners around here are just would-be WRX owners who couldn't hack the insurance premium.

Or 60-year old men in GTIs and Rs who go wild at the lights because coppers aren't going to look twice at a VW.

You're tripping dude I smile ear to ear when I drive new stis.

I'm a VW owner, fuck you I eat meat with every meal.

Outside of them being teenagers and vaping, I don't have a problem with Subaru owners.

I'm not hating on the STi, though, I basically listed what I thought were the drawbacks of owning each.

If it were up to me, I feel like I would definitely want the STi BUT those 30k miles would worry me - no one buys an STi and babies it

Are you sure? I've heard people say that you can make significant changes to the character of the car by forcing a majority of torque to go to the rear axle - that just sounds cool as hell to me.

The STi also has more ground clearance - I just imagine having all of the diffs available and going nuts in a huge pile of snow not giving any shits.

I can see what you're saying about the WRX though - 35mpg vs 25mpg is fucking huge on a road trip (which I want to start doing) and the WRX feels much more refined as a DD - I'm 29 years old now, I can't imagine how my fiance or passengers will feel when I give them rides, lol. Plus, I'd own it from day one and know its whole history...

Have you driven both? If anything the wrx has turbo lag.
Mpg is subjective. The sti gets 1 mpg less than the wrx in the city and 4 less on the highway. I'd pick the wrx over the sti if I was dding it because it has a timing chain.

I sell Subarus for a living. Go ahead and get the new WRX. STI's and WRX's are fucking murdered for every mile they have. They're bought and owned by some compete and utter fuckheads. I haven't sold an STI or WRX to someone who wasn't fucking retarded.

On that note, if you buy a new WRX, wait for one to come off the truck. DO NOT BUY ONE ON THE LOT. It was most likely beat on and blasted around by the sales team, or by some faggot who test drives it. If it has more than 6-7 miles on it, walk and find a dealer that will get you a new one.

Also, goddamn if you do buy new and want a good deal, don't just show up. Do everything via their internet department. Get everything squared away, final price, (Truecar), full OTD number, finances, etc. all done before you even test drive one.

>Do everything via their internet department.
This applies to any dealer, it's way easier to be a hardass and haggle when you're not in their showroom.

I work at a Subaru dealership dude. My sales team all own stis or wrx. If anything the only time they ate beat on is when the techs go gas them. After a PDI.

If you're OP, then why are you having this thread?

I was about to close on a WRX with like 70ish miles on it. Right before I signed the papers I noticed all 4 tires were bald. Now the hell do yli even do that in 70 miles

I didn't really like the new wrx when test driving it. it has some solid controls but overall it doesn't feel as fun to drive as frs/brz/focus or fiesta st. STI is dated tech in a new body package right? I like the 2.0 in wrx they have in common with brz. In comparison to other turbo cars the wrx doesn't feel as linear. I love the way boost comes on in focus and fiesta st, esp with tunes. I'm sure an accessport could fix it, but from factory the throttle input feels odd.

sure those competitors don't have awd but I live in an area I don't need it. I've heard the STI is more of a raw feeling to drive, but I don't have time to go be testing driving with no intent to buy. I chose a used focus st instead

If it's your DD man, don't worry about race car shit till the car is paid for.

In terms of ground clearance, STi or WRX you arent going full blown trail blazing in either, you'll get stuck or hooked on something. In terms of snow, I had a shitty set of winters (Michelin X-ice3) and my car was lowered, I had probably 4 inches between the front bumper and the ground and I was able to blow through unplowed parking lots with about a foot and a half, 2 feet of snow like it was no ones business. The first bad snow we got a couple years ago in ontario my manager had to park in the Timmies parking lot, stomp through the snow and shovel his way to the end of our shops driveway. Snow was just under his thigh and he told me I couldn't make it. Should've seen the look on his face when my WRX blasted through the driveway and into the open bay. Every hole and opening was plugged with snow, I think i've got the video and pictures of it still. The only reason I ever sold that car was the fact I started commuting 4 hours a day, and the fuel economy was horrible and the ride was too rough (All the bushings and suspension were changed to stiffer ones) for my being in it 4 hours a day. Telling you dude, just get a WRX, pay it down and grab little bits here and there along the way.

Neither. I'd get a good car.

Steering rack in the STi is fucking god tier though.

Go with the new WRX. FA20 is breddy good.

Getting a new limited WRX is stupid, it's almost price of base STI. I was offered 27400 out the door for a 2017 base WRX (which was good deal), went with an older STI instead.

Op here, I know exactly what you mean. I went to a dealership to test drive a WRX and take a look at the various trims. The sales dude was a younger bro and he was really awesome (went above and beyond to show me like every WRX they had on the lot - premium, base, STi, older models EVERYTHING). When I finally went to test drive, though, he told me to really beat on the car and take it to redline, etc. I knew right then and there that there was no way in fuck that I would buy one off their lot.

I was actually just about to put an order on a 2017 WRX Limited with nothing on it except a $50 subaru trunk tray, but I stopped myself when I started wondering whether I should just wait for the 2018's coming next summer.

And then I saw a super cheap used STi Limited and I wavered even further...

Don't people beat on these cars for like 100,000 miles? I thought the STi was meant to take it like a champ?

Another thing to keep in mind my dude, is if you don't need the AWD (You don't live in Canada or the North East US) maybe look at the Civic Type R. It's a pretty big 50/50 split as to how people feel about it. But 335HP, hatchback, and in my opinion looks aggressive as fuck, probably starting in the same range as top end WRX, low end STi.

I'm not op tho

They arent bald they just look that way. The great stock on those tires is 220 tread wear and they have 6/32nds they are Dunlop sport maxx summer tires.

I think I would really like the Type R if I could remove the wing, remove all the shitty red outline bits, and remove that stupid third, red tail-pipe - basically I'd need to de-rice it off the lot.

I'm not totally against it, but I currently have a 310tq FWD that spins wheels fairly easily so I don't know how the lighter Civic Type R is going to manage it - LSD or not. The Euro Type R has a worse 0-60 time than the WRX despite being lighter and having STi power numbers.

That being said, I totally would not be opposed to owning a Type R. I just expect them to be 40k for like a year at least and my limit is right around 30k before taxes and yadda yadda.

I've got a 15 wrx I got brand new. It's got 3 inch turbo back and an intake. Running a shelf map. Guy I work with has a stock 14 wagon sti, and my boss has astock 05 sti. Neither will agree to run them after work. My boss just keeps his in the garage to look at though. But I think I'm making the same if not maybe a little more power than them and with the fa20 it comes on faster than the ej.

The stock map on the new wrx is terrible. Or it was not sure if they fixed it with newer ones. All it really needs is just the cobb stage one map. I got better mpg, throttle response, and the Rev hang was gone on the 1st to 2nd shift. Not sure if rev hang is still a thing either.

As a dd the wrx is the better buy until they do an sti with the fa20 or something new.

Some guy who was on the fence for wrx or sti when I bought mine.

Then it seems to me like you've already made your decision. Enjoy your WRX dude, I'm going to hold off on getting another one till i drive the type R.

Forgot to mention still spent less money total on the car and mods than the sti would have cost me.

I'm a GTI owner and I agree

Yeah, if the Type R was really freaking awesome and was well equipped for