What's the worst idea in the history of motor vehicles, and why is it the electric handbrake?

What's the worst idea in the history of motor vehicles, and why is it the electric handbrake?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ca_Lrbo4XLE
youtu.be/tbhHcxscu4Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because it's difficult to find and actuate in an emergency situation where you need emergency braking NOW

>emergency brake

why does this meme continue to exist?

Because it doesn't work if the car has no power.

i have never used the handbrake on any car i have ever owned

i have been driving for 10 years at this point

Do you live on an airfield or something? How have you never had your car roll forwards/backwards?

>never pulling the drift stick to impress a girl as a teen

agreed
because that's your only hope in case of brake fluid loss.
Been there

Dumbass Americans that don't use it regularly.

wtf

In almost every situation except under 20mph I'd feel much safer braking with the gearbox than locking my back wheels

are you retarded?

How do you get young sluts if you don't do handbrake turns?

rip clutch

Not him, but I love in coastal tx and I've never used mine. And I've got a standard.

I bet you also call yourself an enthusiast

>less obvious in emergencies
>not as cool as regulars
>can't use as hill start brake (or can you?) in manuals
>gay

You could also clutch brake without fear of locking up your rear wheels.

how.. i live in a really mountainous area so this makes no sense to me

Most cars that come with electric handbrakes also use autotragic boxes.

It's a parking brake, not an """"emergency"""" brake

>locking your back wheels instead of downshifting

protip:
engine braking AND modulated handbraking (not locking the wheels)
without both you're fucked if you really need to stop the car rather than slightly slowing it down. Locking the rear wheels even under 20mph is just as dumb and ineffective as at higher speeds.

generally if they have the electronic handbreak theyll also have that hill start shit

Oh, I guess that makes sense.
I don't really see any electric hand brakes here but 90% of cars are manual

>electric hand brake
please tell me this wont sweep over almost every new car like how push button start did.

It's already happening.

Dont a lot of modern cars automatically engage the ebrake when stopped in neutral?

>ITT: I've vever even tried to bring my car to a full stop on empty road without using footbrake but here's my opinion

How do you modulate with an electric hand brake? Does it have ABS?

fuck

I never said one can do it with electric handbrake
That's the thing to do with a manual one

My opinion is based on having to drive my shit box across town in early morning traffic with no brake lines to a shop to replace them.

i have a mazda 6 in manual and it will disengage the e brake when gas is applied

It's not a parking brake nor is it an emergency brake, it's a handbrake. It's used in both parking and emergency stops, as well as a variety of other situations.

you don't
it's either on or off
its only purpose is to be used for parking. not as an auxiliary brake.

like the other dude, i live in texas

even when i lived in the 'hill country' i only ever had to park on flat land

so it matters
what is your opinion?

Unless you have a manual it isn't necessary. Autos stay put just fine in park on hills.
>inb4 hurrrr durrrr it's hard on the trans. No it Fucking isn't.

Everything's flat. The steepest I've ever parked on is a driveway.

Why would you unless you have a manual. Then it's somewhat necessary.

Coastal tx guy here.

I take it back, I've had to use the hand brake once on a work Truck when the brake lines split.
It was in the middle of busy traffic on galveston seawall on a Saturday and I was driving a fully loaded 33ft box truck... having to down shift the 3sp auto and use the hand brake to navigate back to the warehouse through tourist and stop lights. If it has that electronic brake, shit wouldn't have worked.

Can confirm. Bought my G35 from a guy who was in mid 50's. When he showed the car a couple of times, every time he stopped he'd leave it in first and shut the car off. After driving/buying the car, the parking brake was so out of adjustment it wouldn't even hold the car on a SLIGHT incline

Cup holders

But they're not always hand brakes

>you have a manual. Then it's somewhat necessary.
or you can somehow leave the manual car in gear. That's what some people do in some countries where winters are somehow harsh and your handbrake wires can freeze with wheels locked which is somehow unpleasant and make car somewhat stationary.

if you are going to post about manuel transmissions, drive one first. With rev matching clutch will be fine.

>i'll crash my car because I don't wanna be hard on clutch.

wow

obviously not lmao

It's necessary for convenience. I've seen people that are too lazy to fix their parking brake use wheel chalks. So you don't 100% need it.

I have to do that when parking a manual at work

My uncle had a Mercedes (can't remember the model nut it was a wierd coupe, not the typical B-C-E- class...) and he LOATHED that shit. Every time he talked about his car he repeated how much that shit sucked.

Says the person who's never seen a parking pawl.

This is all that's holding your shitty car, however much it weighs, from rolling away. Gods help you if it starts to slip.

Says the person who doesn't understand how strong materials are. I will put my trust in quarter inch steel. It's just holding dead weight.

>manuel

(not him) but it's an even bigger shame when people think they know cars just because they drive manual and know basic mechanics...

yeh hold on, let me just sell my manual cars and close my auto repair shop

retard

They designed it to hold the car. I trust their engineers more than someone on Veeky Forums.

i trust a mechanic more than your assumed logic

there's a lot of really small parts that keep my shitty car moving down the highway at 80mph

Haha a mechanics word over the engineer that took classes on metallurgy. K. By your logic you shouldn't trust the cable on your parking brake either because it's so thin.

wtf

this is a horrible idea in modern vehicles

the "P" stands for parking

Sucks the most for tow truck drivers since every car has a different retarded way of disabling it if the car is dead

Saw this thread and tried to drift in my X3 with the electric hand brake just to prove it isn't THAT bad. Lost control and the computer turned on the ABS and stopped me fully.

Hey truckerfags - no E-Brake is better than Electric-E-Brake.

Four wheel carriers solves that problem entirely. That is, unless you don't have the full tow rig and only have the bottom bumper tower like some cheap F-250s.

how hard would it be to install a manual hand brake in an e89 z4?

No they don't. You have to drag it against the parking brake if you don't want to stretch the cable to shit and risk damaging it. And if you do manage to defeat the parking brake, then your pulling against the transmission.

THEN its an even bigger pain in the ass to get it off the truck without breaking something, because you just KNOW the dealership wont send a tech out to release it, if they even have one that knows how.

Electronic parking brakes are the biggest pain in the ass, even beating out transmissions that require electrical power to shift from park. and those suck shit.

I've had to use the handbrake exactly one time in my driving career and that was in an emergency situation. If it was a little button like that I probably wouldn't have been able to grab it exactly when I needed it. I may ignore the handbrake 99.9% of the time but I like to know that it's there when I need it and not a little button I need to fumble for.

>He really thinks auto manufacturers would make this a liability

Fuck off

Worst idea in automotive history?
Adaptive cruise control
Lane keeping assistant
Forward collision braking

Brazoria county master race

I bet you are fun at parties

It's ironic that BMW would be at the forefront of this problem

My only and probably last experiecne with electric handbrake
>be me
>failed driving license test in second time
>Change driving schools to try out different approach.
>new driving school has Peugot with electrotragic handbrake
>simple parking exercise
>the electrotragic handbrake won't lock
>apparently pulling it too fast to register
>after some trying moving to city driving
>okay, let's try starting up from a hill.
>almost crash to the car behind me as the electrotragic handbrake didn't lock it despite showing on controls that it's locked
>after an hour of driving return back, during feedback discuss with teacher
>mfw he tells me only reason I drove one today is because the other car is in service, and this one is usually for women drivers, who don't have enough force to pull manual brake.

>first and last time I use electrotragic handbrake.

Honestly never again, it's the devil's invention and french cars electronics never work.

youtu.be/ca_Lrbo4XLE video related, french electronics are even worse than italian ones, at least italians usually put turn off feature.

All three of those are awesome and my next bmw will have them. You obviously dont commute 2 hours a day in traffic

>clutch brake
>on automatics

Electronic HB on my car and it has Hill Assist that you toggle with a button near the Shifter.

No use explaining to you mr engineer kek

I've solved how to fix the electronic hand brake.
>yfw one of these in a C7 corvette

The electric hand break is the only thing stopping me from buying a VF Commodore wagon.

The 2011 LEAF I had, had an electronic parking brake. The 2014 LEAF I currently have, has a manual foot pedal parking brake.

Its called a hand brake you stupid retarded americunts

You take that back push button start is the fucking bomb

You're like your parents complaining about power door locks and power windows

Then why is it my 3rd pedal?

>without both you're fucked if you really need to stop the car rather than slightly slowing it down.
wtf?? just use the NORMAL BRAKES

But power windows are the shit, locks too.

Start stop is just an additional gizmo, don't tell me that turning a key is something exeptionally difficult. Start and stop system gets extremely annoying in the city, and fuel savings by it aren't that huge. Power door locks or electric windows or different matter entirely, they allow remote opening of the windows, locking them etc. There is literally no benefit in start button.
>video related
youtu.be/tbhHcxscu4Q

Keep putting your shit boxes in park without pulling the e-brake

I don't give a fuck it's not my car

>Can be fully set with less effort
>Can be released by pressing the accelerator pedal while in drive or reverse
>Can still be used as a brake in an emergency (It brakes pretty aggressively, and although I've never tried it, it's probably strong enough to spin the car if turned abruptly with stability control disabled)

I think it's a good idea. Point two and three are taken from my experience with a GM car, so others might be different.

its even bigger shame when someone is mocking someone just because he replied with a correct answer

Plenty of benefits to a Start ignition button. For me it means I can leave my keyfob in my pocket / bag so I don't have to fumble around digging it out. Keyless entry means I don't have to do the same to open or lock the car. Saves time and effort despicably in the dark. These all help if you're carrying groceries etc in your hands. Saves time and effort for us lazy anons.

>can't be arsed to pull the E brake
wtf sort of shitboxes do you have? my car automatically pulls the e-brake when i put it in P and turn off the engine.

And the manual version does so as well BTW.

I've done this as well, using the handbrake without locking the wheels was not even a challenge, but my parking brake goes to the front wheels. Don't know if that made it easier for me or not

The torque converter.

Engine braking doesn't put any more wear on the clutch than shifting does. Because that's all it is, downshifting and letting off the gas.

would this be the same engineer to see fit that cars also had a parking brake? think about it.