1998 JGTC (Japan Grand Touring Car Championship) Fuji incident

1998 JGTC (Japan Grand Touring Car Championship) Fuji incident

>Japanese driver Tetsuya Ota is notable for surviving a fiery multi-car pileup he was involved in during a JGTC race at Fuji Speedway on May 3, 1998. The accident was initially caused by an oversaturated track. Ota then aquaplaned and left the track which put him directly into an already crashed Porsche. At the time of the accident, the Ferrari Ota was driving had a full cell of fuel which was ignited by the impact. Ota was severely injured due to third-degree burns on a good percentage of his body which may have been prevented if JGTC, at the time, had sufficient emergency response. Ota filed a lawsuit against the racing club plus organizers for negligence and won the sum of ¥90 million (US$800,000).
>Another driver (Shinichi Yamaji) extinguished him from the flames, not a marshall. He can be seen kicking the safety car in frustration to their response

There's full video
youtu.be/GwCfaNRS-JQ

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, HOLY SHIT

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3mz3ZzSXyWM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

huhhr rearry makes a rou rink

fucking rip, gawd damn

I was not expecting that

I guess old habits die hard

I had my window open

the whole block felt my pain

fuck me man

Japan really did not give a shit about car safety back in the day

tough to watch

dawg

dude is literally laid out on cement like smoked bacon, wtf

He tries to get up and falls back down

youtube.com/watch?v=3mz3ZzSXyWM

Fellow racer tries to save him, everyone keeps dragging him away from the car as his friend burns to death.

>His helmet reached a temperature so high, his visor melted onto his face searing multiple parts of his face and nose which required surgery. He exclaimed the pain from his broken hand/arm was too excruciating to remove the helmet as he also begged to be extinguished to no avail.

Reminds me of that scene from Prometheus, fucking brutal, can you imagine that pain?

Jesus man.

>$90 million nip dollars is only worth 800k US dollars

kek

I can't even imagine what it must be like to try and put out someone screaming to death who is on fire after an explosion in the rain

let alone my own pain

>into an already crashed Porsche
>BMW first off the track
>fucking Ferrari eats it the hardest

fucking kek
German cars always ruining it for everyone that can compete

Low currency worth is actually favorable for an export oriented economy. It increases the amount you get, makes it favorable for importer as their money goes further, and it makes it cheaper to pay workers. It also stimulates spending.

fuck, man

>full cell of fuel

he was literally spinning in his seat next to the sun for about 2 seconds
incredible

jesus christ

I cried when they got him out and he started moving.

>that burnt ass Ferrari logo

meme worthy

WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME WATCH THESE VIDEOS

>$90 million nip dollars is only worth 800k US dollars
It's fairer to either use cents or move the decimal over two places, so the difference isn't actually that large.

Right now the Yen and US Dollar are about even actually. A Dollar will get you about 101 Yen, or alternatively 100 Cents is 101 Yen.

>yfw Nihon bubble crashes during peak of 25 year rule importing (1995 cars) and we all get mint condition cheap nip sport boxes like hotcakes

It's going the other direction right now. It wasn't long ago the exchange rate was 1 USD to 125 JPY. I suppose 1:100 is still better than when it was 1:80 a few years ago though.

>peak of 25 year rule importing (1995 cars)
What car are you looking to get in 2020?

>What car are you looking to get in 2020?

I'm still a bit undecided
I wish there was a list of Japanese RWD/AWD turbo 4 cylinder cars made from 1987-1995 (basically what I want).

>RWD/AWD turbo 4 cylinder cars made from 1987-1995
Go import a Nissan Pulsar GTi-R now, no need to wait.

>Nissan Pulsar GTi-R

I'd rather have the Celica GT-Four (the Jap wrc car that actually won)

I never knew the story behind this crash. Never had seen the full video either.

Shocking.

WHY WONT ANY OF THE OTHER RACECAR DRIVERS STOP TO HELP? DON'T THEY HAVE ANY COMPASSION FOR A FELLOW DRIVER?

They have fireproof suits, so if 4-5 of them stopped, they could've easily flipped the tub with minimal damage.

>marshal goes to help
>gets cut in half by race car

Racing is insane. All of it.

Fucking racing, man.

I remember some rumours about lancia hiding nitrous oxide systems in their rollcages, which would be plausible, with the explosion that ensued when Toivonen crashed and died in '86 with the S4.

>hiding nitrous oxide systems in their rollcages

They totally did. Every in WRC cheated before the late 90's.

Hell, even Toyota was caught cheating even before/after they won. Granted they won a few times without cheating, but they ended up pulling out of WRC all together (mostly due to AWD manufacturing costs/homologation cars).

Did I ever tell you the time my buddy Kieth when to the JGTC?

Engineers from that time did not confirmed it, but they never denied it too, so it's probably true.

I remember the air restrictor fiasco with the celica too. But remember, it aint cheating unless they catch you.