Why don't car companies come up with better mirror design? Like the one here...

Why don't car companies come up with better mirror design? Like the one here, a slimmer mirror on the top of the a pillar instead of this giant square food view blocker?

Other urls found in this thread:

bmwblog.com/2016/01/05/bmw-i8-shows-mirrorless-camera-technology/
youtube.com/watch?v=hJLBVyz4GBs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just to piss you off

Hurr let's make the a pillar wider at the same time bringing the mirror in obscuring the view field

Bonus for whistling and rain vortex

tl;dr because it is worse

>premium is a dollar more than regular
Kek.

Because that pillar is already a blindspot

I think that adding a bit to the thickness of the A pillar is a lot less worse than a huge fucking mirror where it is now.

OPs mirror can be more aerodynamic than a regular mirror, and not make noise.
Do rain fenders make noise? cause it will be a similar shape.

Fighter planes use mirrors like that, obviously because they are internal, but I think they provide good visual field.

Kek, a massive faggot like always OP

those look very stupid, but have excellent visibility.

OP wants to loose the external mirrors, and replace them with something slimmer.

KEKED
U
C
K
E
D

What kind of faggot never heard of of these? Must be a MASSIVE one indeed

Those are awful in most cases, and they dont make them for every car.

That car must smell fucking fresh

What do you want to work for Chevy?

bmwblog.com/2016/01/05/bmw-i8-shows-mirrorless-camera-technology/

Thank fuck someone else noticed

They should all be replaced by cameras 2bh fampai

>rain fender

This is proof that you're retarded and your opinion is shit. Now stfu you uneducated little shit and never share your inane opinions again.

Yeah but fighter jets don't have rooves, or often pillars either.

Can't agree more - include the rear camera as well.

Eventually one could be surrounded by screens that give an uninterrupted view of the outside world from every angle for dat dere perfect visibility.

Some disproportionate percentage of aero drag is also generated just by mirrors so getting rid of them would make shit faster and more efficient as well

I'd rather have both, better to have and not need than need and not have.

Redundant vision would probably be better. If a mirror breaks off you can still look behind and around you. But if you are in a complete screen bubble and a portion of the screen goes out you are pretty fucked.

More HUDS on the windshield plz thx.

There's no emergency situation that arises from having a camera or a monitor go out in the middle of a drive, just as there wouldn't be one if a mirror got broke.

Given how reliable purposed designed modern tech could be (see fly by wire), and the advantages they offer in terms of Visibility and Aerodynamics, traditional mirrors have only cost as an advantage.

You don't keep a horse around in case your car breaks.

True.
I imagine it would only replace windows when it's economically feasible + extremely reliable + something an improved car can be designed around (super low profile seating and a structurally stronger upper body, for example, given that here are no requirements for visibility)

youtube.com/watch?v=hJLBVyz4GBs

>those gas prices
What the fuck OP. Where do you live?

>highway
>lots of cars on it but flowing traffic
>need to merge to offramp
>side camera dies/mirror fails

Good luck

Where exactly is the emergency situation here?

773 phone numbers on the signs = Chicago.

I live in NY north of the city and gas prices are around $2.49 for cash regular unleaded. Goes down easily another 20-30 cents upstate.

>four cameras
>only one screen
Does anyone else see a problem with this?

mostly because mirrors need to stick out in order to see around the sides of the car

Look over your shoulder then.

Nope, unless the screen isn't big enough or have enough resolution.

Instead of checking rear mirror then side mirrors then shoulder, you just check rear and maybe shoulder
What's the problem?

couldn't bother to read through the article. Does it combine all the cameras into one image, or do you have to cycle through to look at each side?

from the screen it looks like they're going to composite the video and it will look like a game 3rd person view.

i don't get why they need to make those side wings at all.
just mount a 270 degree camera on the roof where the antenna usually sits.

>night
>can't see shit because peanut sensor
>iso800 and grainy as fuck
i hope they have ir sensor

Oh no if only I could look behind me!
Oh wait...

Yup that's Chicago city prices. Only retards would ever fill up here. Drive 15-20 minutes out to the burbs and get gas $0.70 cheaper per gallon.

Right now that premium is $3.70. The gas price for premium at Costco in the closest burb was $2.53. and around $2.80ish for the Costco in the city.

Been living here all my life, and I've never filled up inside city limits.

If you want a shitty mirror, drive a mid to late 90s International truck. Pic related is a Kenworth and they aren't too bad. Now imagine this same setup, but like 18" further back. In the KW, you just glance forward and to the right or left to check the blind spot. The International mirrors are almost in line with your head so if you are trying to make a right turn, you have to look so far and back to the right if you want to look at the mirror.