Looks like my muffler decided to fuck off of my exhaust pipe...

looks like my muffler decided to fuck off of my exhaust pipe. now sounds like i'm driving a lawnmower filled with pennies.

What's the fix here? Estimated repair cost?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/2003-2005-Corolla-resonator-muffler-exhaust-system-kit-/181478417885?fits=Year:2005|Make:Toyota|Model:Corolla&hash=item2a40f4e5dd:g:PGAAAOSwPe1T1rr4&vxp=mtr
ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-15807-2-25-Cat-Back-SS-Exhaust-for-Toyota-Corolla-1-8L-2003-2006-/152261193258?fits=Year:2005|Make:Toyota|Model:Corolla&hash=item2373796e2a:g:mywAAOSw-YVXmES1&vxp=mtr
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

We know nothing of your car
We know nothing of the integrity of the remainder of the exhaust line

Just replace everything that has flaking rust on it

if the metal behind the rusted break spot is good enough an exhaust shop can just cut off the rotted portion, weld on a new pipe with a flange and you'll be on your way.

depending on where you are probably about 200-350 all said and done

Ez u fucking cuck use the fitting that snapped off and weld it to a straight pipe. Preferably 3+ inch diameter for your shitvic to sound farty. $10

dont be a cunt bud

05 corolla running very well, receiving regular maintenance, 110k miles
the muffler assembly itself and the exhaust pipe leading up to this joint are in great shape and don't show any corrosion

that's the repair I was assuming, but that price seems steep. what about that gasket (?) that's all black and shitty -- is that something that would need replacing as well? or is that something else. thanks for the help m80

would indeed be ez if I owned a mig rig and didnt need to do this on my back in the driveway

Cut one inch off of each side.
Buy pic related (or one of 20 other devices for coupling exhaust).
Stop being a bitch taking shit to the shop and getting your wallet raped.

Shop around too. user's price here sounds realistic and it isn't an expensive job if you don't need to replace a ton of parts. Hell, even generic mufflers are cheap.

But there are some Mexi shops that will weld anything on for dirt cheap. My buddy found a place where he was bringing them mufflers and all sorts of exhaust parts and they would hang em and weld em for $90.

shot from better angle, after i just shoved it back in there. fits fucking snug, but obviously it'll still need to be repaired.

that looks pretty good.

Anything I can reasonably wrap/seal that shit crack with in the meantime until I can get it all fixed (just a day or two)?

thx bois

can anyone tell me the exact name for this type of connection, with what look like springs on the bolts and the butted flanges, and the black stuff in the gap? is that some kind of sealant or putty or gasket?

1. Go into your garage
2. Unplug battery neg. terminal
3. Wire brush power tool the area clean
4. MIG the shit together
5. Profit

I had pic related happen while I was driving a year ago in July. Took it to the local muffler shop and he welded it back together for i think $30? My whole exhaust setup is garbage. Want to replace it eventually.

Take it to a beaner muffler shop, and ask them for an estimate.

They can probably do some cheap welding, and replace that flange with a single piece pipe.
Downside is removing the exhaust in the future maybe hard, or impossible without that flange.

Otherwise you might be better off buying some eBay cat back, or something used on craigslist. even shitty beaner muffler shops will want $250+ to replace the entire thing with their shit crush bend pipes.

You would need to argue them down in price to just replace that piece. If their labor is $80 an hour, and its gonna take them 15 fucking minutes to remove, cut, and weld, then see if you can have them do it all for $60ish.

If one of your flanges is like that, the rest of your exhaust is probably shit too. I would replace the whole thing.

ebay.com/itm/2003-2005-Corolla-resonator-muffler-exhaust-system-kit-/181478417885?fits=Year:2005|Make:Toyota|Model:Corolla&hash=item2a40f4e5dd:g:PGAAAOSwPe1T1rr4&vxp=mtr

here is bottom of the barrel exhaust.
or something better
ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-15807-2-25-Cat-Back-SS-Exhaust-for-Toyota-Corolla-1-8L-2003-2006-/152261193258?fits=Year:2005|Make:Toyota|Model:Corolla&hash=item2373796e2a:g:mywAAOSw-YVXmES1&vxp=mtr

I should have done this with my civic.

these things SUCK balls.

OP here, what if I ordered one of these bad boys (sized to the proper diameter of course), cut out the joint with a hacksaw (or an exhaust cutter borrowed from autozone) and clamped it into the line.

Should I get any sealants or putties or anything like that? Anything to avoid? Terrible idea?

why's that? most of what I've seen says they're great, as long as your muffler is on relatively stiff hangers

You do not need a flex pipe, and those clamps SUCK BALLS

get it welded.

How sure are you that I don't need a flex pipe? My muffler assembly is pretty free-swinging on its hangers. Wouldn't a stiff coupling be therefore subject to a lot of stress, and be likely to be fucked up over time?

It seems like flex pipe covers this. The only problem I can see is if the flex pipe isn't MEANT to be attached to something that can move a lot, and the "flex" is only meant for bridging misaligned joints. Am I right or wrong on this?

Just JB weld it you cunt.

Go to an exhaust shop or small local shop and have them weld it. They will probably charge you less than $50 depending on how much pipe needs replaced.

nigga just drive without it

why does nobody answer any of the direct questions i ask

this is Veeky Forums, not vatozone you mouth-breathing retard; go to a fucking muffler shop already

>every post: just do it yourself you fucking retard
okay, here are a few specific questions because i want to do it right
>[deafening silence]
>just take it to a muffler shop you fucking retard

fuck off and enjoy you're shit corolla cuck

weld the clamp to the pipe?

BOOM it's like getting two birds stoned at once