Humanities people need to stop appropriating science terms

You don't see STEM guys attempt to use terms from the humanities in their work

as someone who has took classes in biogenetics and has studied epigenetics... WTF IS THIS, this has nothing to do with epigenetics at all...

I view humanities as being equally as important as STEM, but when i see stuff like this, taking scientific terms out of context and trying to make some faulty relation

It sometimes makes me wonder if many Humanities types have "hard science envy" they feel that their field isn't as rigorous enough...sort of like the "physics envy" among economists

I would appreciate the humanities more if they didn't try and do stuff like this

by the way there was another article of a woman trying to equate blackness with quantum mechanics.... its stuff like this that does a disservice to Humanities

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis–trans_isomerism
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Academia needs to be violently purged of anyone who takes Foucault and Derrida seriously.

i do agree that it probably has to do with "hard science" envy.......i have seen alot of what you described in your OP

>Academia needs to be violently purged

PERSONS LIKE YOU OUGHT TO STOP PERPETUATING THE SPURIOUS DICHOTOMY BETWEEN SCIENCES, AND THE HUMANITIES.

That doesn't sounds too bad.

There is a dichotomy, my friend..its common sense

The dichotomy becomes apparent when papers like this appear.

You don't seem to know what any of those words mean.

You don't seem to understand the vast methodological differences between hard sciences and humanities

Do you spend a lot of time reading the sociological review? Maybe write a letter to the editor.

Otoh if you just follow that Twitter that posts this crap, maybe just unfollow it.

why....that twitter account is doing a good service exposing crap like this

EXPLAIN HOW DOES THE PRESENCE OF FALSITY —PSEUDOANYTHING— VALIDATES THE SPURIOUS DICHOTOMY BETWEEN SCIENCES, AND THE HUMANITIES, ACCORDING TO YOU.

taking your argument at face value, we shouldn't have different fields at all...we should just have 1 academic field then

DIFFERENCE IN METHODOLOGY DOES NOT NECESSARILY ENTAIL OPPOSITION; IT MERELY ENTAILS DIFFERENCE OF FUNCTION.

If insecure STEMlords like OP keep losing it every time a very natural thing with language like this happen, we humanities need to take retributive action. Remember, the philosophy of science and demarcation problem are still a business owned by humanities. If we say STEM isn't science anymore, then STEM isn't science. You should have more respect for us or we might.

Humanities practitioners appropriate terms form more strenuous disciplines

In other news the pope confirmed today that he is indeed Catholic

O god you are fucking autistic.

The actual reason comes from the philosophical and methodological background, and the overall drive and objective of both fields. They will be related in some ways, but that doesn't mean it's stupid to separate them into different academic fields.

Don't get your tendis wet faggot.

NO; ACCORDING TO YOUR FALLACIOUS LOGIC ANY INDIVIDUAL PART OF YOUR BODY WOULD BE A SEPARATE DISTINCT BODY IN ITSELF MERELY BECAUSE IT HAS A DIFFERENT FUNCTION FROM OTHER INDIVIDUAL PARTS.

I really really really like this b8.

this isn't an issue of "language"

this is an issue of a humanities scholar who has no understanding of epigenetics and trying to apply it to their work to make themselves sound "rigorous"

the train keeps rolling, i present to you "Feminist Chemistry"

>this isn't an issue of "language"
I have some news for you: every issue is an issue of language

just leaving this here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis–trans_isomerism

t. biologist

Or maybe it's because you can associate every academic subfield to either STEM or humanities? No one is impressed that you remembered your high school level fallacies.

maybe..but this is clearly an issue of not understanding the science

Yes, the good thing about stem is that things are well defined.

Seeking out social media because it makes you upset is bad mental hygiene, and if you stop, you will be less bothered by the world but more able to effect change.

Evolutionary Biology is a racist and abelist field guys

I REITERATE: DISTINCTION, AND DIFFERENCE IN FUNCTION, DO NOT NECESSARILY ENTAIL OPPOSITION.

IT SEEMS RATHER LESS A PROBLEM OF DISTINCTION, THAN A PROBLEM OF DOGMATIC INTEREST ON THE PART OF DICHOTOMISTS.

but isn't that twitter account evidence of a problem in the Humanities fields, that papers like these get approved

in STEM there is a natural mechanism that eliminates crappy papers...but this, this just makes me laugh...and cry at the same time

Are STEMlords really this anal retentive? They literally can't admit that the language they are forced to operate with does not behave in the same orderly way as their research subjects. You didn't make up language, we did, and it fundamentally serves the purposes of a messy, volatile, discourse. You had your fun with logical empiricism a century ago and lost. Now please go home and cry yourself to sleep.

but epigenetics is a totally valid area of research. Virtually every hereditary influence outside of the gene itself is epigenetic.

No one is talking about opposition faggot.

are humanities types really calling people "STEMlords" in 2016..

I'm sorry you failed calculus....

This entire thread is problematic because the use of language in terms of there being objectively "correct" uses for certain words perpetuates the compartmentalization of certain groups namely PoC and women for whom such words, due to the patriarchal nature of the sciences (also problematic),have not been an allowed part of their lexicon. This is why I propose the new science of Femenist Linguistics to help undo the centuries of use of oppressive language in the sciences

THAT IS WHAT A DICHOTOMY ENTAILS, MORON.

You were the inventors of language?!?! Holy shit you must be super famous and stuff.

We Wuz inventors of language and sheeeettttttt, them science positivsts dudes don't know that we control everythanggggggggggggggggg

The dichotomy becomes apparent when one thinks about it critically for over 4 seconds

You were the only one talking about that in the first place. OP just called out some bullshit paper. Then yes you are correct ad autism. Now go and shout about more irrelevant things faggot.

First part seemed smart up until the last part

I doubt you have actually studied epigenetics OP because she used the term correctly and everything in her abstract is correct.

IF YOUR "READING COMPREHENSION" WERE NOT ABYSMAL YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN AWARE THAT THE "ORIGINAL POSTER" STARTS HIS POST WITH AN A PRIORI DICHOTOMY BETWEEN SCIENCES, AND THE HUMANITIES.

>but isn't that twitter account evidence of a problem in the Humanities fields, that papers like these get approved

It is evidence of a problem existing, but because it is only the bad examples, it doesn't tell anything about the scale of the problem or anything else. How influential are these papers, authors, journals? Who knows, most of them are too recent to tell. They probably get more readers through the Twitter than their own fields.

>in STEM there is a natural mechanism that eliminates crappy papers...

For one thing, my experience is that stem papers are more rigorous but worse written, but moreover, I could make a Twitter account that only posted bad CS papers and no doubt have a bunch of people riled up about it in a few months, too.

Not even defending sociology, there is some real garbage there and the community tends to close ranks instead of owning it when it's pointed out.

how did you come to conclude that this was an appropriate thread for this board?
kys

No he didn't, he just mentioned STEM and humanities which doesn't enteil a strict dichotomy as the categories can overalp.

YES, HE DOES, AS IS EVIDENT FROM THE FIRST SENTENCE OF THE MAIN BODY OF TEXT, AND FROM THE SUBJECTLINE.

O god, you actually think that because he said "appropriating science terms" he thought that everything in science cannot be used in the humanities and viceversa?

This phenomena of "appropriating science terms" only mean using the terms vaguely or incorrectly to prove a point. Like talking about a quantum society or the continuum of the mind (in relation to set theory). You really convinced yourself everyone is as autistic as you.