What benifits exactly does a cold-air intake have on an engine? Does it only increase power or torque...

What benifits exactly does a cold-air intake have on an engine? Does it only increase power or torque, or does it also make the engine more efficient like being able to use less gas more efficiently, thus saving fuel consumption?

it doesnt its just a meme

it does all of those (albeit at a barely noticeable rate) at the expense of more dirt and shit getting into the engine.

Is there any other method of increasing the efficiency of a car's motor?? Would an intercooler work better even if i'm not running turbo?

You could lean out the mixture with a tune for more mpg's but less power

It might bump up your throttle response slightly and give you an extra 1hp. They mainly make your engine bay look better. That's why I never bothered buying an expensive one. It's just a tube and a filter.

Cold air is more dense, meaning more fuel can be applied will still maintaining the optimal air/fuel ratio. Power gains with a cold air intake alone are neglegable at best, but when combined with other mods it will provide an increase in performance.

A lot of cars do come factory with a cold air intake, so it's not always necessary.

these are all assuming you aren't driving a new car, and if you are why the fuck are you complaining about mpg's now, but:

-Test pipe (may be illegal)
-maintain your car, especially ensuring correct tire pressures and alignment (maybe +5psi can help with mpg's sometimes)
-figure out how to make it more aerodynamic
-rip shit out of the interior to make it lighter.

my s2000 with CAI and a straight through exhaust is getting almost double the mileage i did when I first got the car. That being said the cat was clogged and none of the fluids were changed in 10 years, but still.

You get to tell everyone that you modded your car

it's a noisemaker. that's about it.

> test pipe
That will throw a cel in almost any car made in the last 20 years.

No.
Intercooler brings air temperature down to ambient- N/A already has ambient temperature.
Turbo has massive heat soak into the intake charge because 1) compression raises air temperature 2) its driven by exhaust and the turbo itself gets very hot and the air passes through it.

I'll take "mil eliminator" for $200 Alex.

i used a spark plug defouler on the o2 sensor. no cel.
even passed emissions with my test pipe.

the boner you get every time it whistles

How much did you retard the timing?

i didn't.

I don't believe you then unless your state doesn't use the sniffer test. In which case you really didn't pass you just slipped through without getting caught.

they don't use the sniffer test here. they plug a computer into the obd2 port, run it, if it comes back with a code it fails, if it doesn't, it passes. they will also do a visual inspection under the car, but my car is too low to see anything and my resonator looks like a cat to normies anyways.

LS1 swap

>even passed emissions with my test pipe.

Amazing. My state emissions test computer uses the combination outputs from:
a. OBD2
b. Sniffer shoved up the exhaust pipe
c. Tachometer sensor box placed on top of the hood
d. The car is put on a dynometer
e. The official accelerates the car to 30MPH and holds speed steady for the computer to measure and verify speedometer is correct. If the dyno says car is not 30MPH then the car cannot be legally driven and will be detained for investigation of invalid odometer. There is a side office at the test center for detained cars and they will recheck your DL, insurance, and other data there and tell you an estimate of when you can get your car back. You have to sign some sort of form saying you consent, but of course if you don't consent, your car remains impounded and after 28 days goes to auction. After auction, any impound fees and fines not taken care of by sale of the car will be billed to you. State law is strict on odoms. If reading is defective, the car cannot be driven (it can only travel by tow at owner's expense). The reason I mentioned this is that some owners prefer to lose the car to auction (then they bid and buy their car back) rather than sign the consent form and get convicted of odometer tampering. So it is expensive, but they have a clean criminal record that way by using the loophole since the state so far doesn't do the odom check on impound cars. So if you get caught, consider that expensive method if you need to have a crime-free record because your job needs that.
f. The computer verifies exhaust has adequate CO2 to insure pollutant percentages are not being diluted by air injected into the exhaust.

Sound and nothing else noticeable. Their main use (aside from common misconceptions that they turn cars into track monsters) is in combination with an exhaust on a car. Usually turbo cars.

What fucking police state is this?

1) browns gas generator (disputed)
2) water injection (used on WWII piston engine fighters)

>put slightly shorter or taller tires on your car
>guilty of odometer fraud
WTF?!