Be in tech, trying to move to finance

>be in tech, trying to move to finance
>fuck all info on how to do it, everything seems to be on how to escape finance to move to tech

What the fuck

I don't get it, there's absolutely no money in tech, unless you're a Data Scientist, very good developer or a founder whose startup got bought or IPO'd.

Why the fuck is is such a one-way street from finance to tech?

If I never again have to work in a open-plan memeshop where everyone wears t-shirts and accepts free meals instead of actual salaries, I'll be a happy man. I've had two years of that, now I just want to make bank.

Anyone on here work in banking/finance? Any advice? I'm currently a business analyst, but looking to get into either equity research or IB

>finance
enjoying wanting to kys daily

Already have that

Difference there is that I'd be getting paid a lot more for it

For amount of hours you'll be putting into it, the average hourly wage doesn't seem too impressive. Not to mention the opportunity cost of sacrificing a lot of free time for a career in that industry.

You won't make it unless you have an autistic passion for it.

That's only for the base salary though, the bonuses seem to be where the major $$$ comes in.

Tbqh, in a tech startup those hours are relatively normal, except you do them for shit pay.

With ER in particular you're not working cocaine-addict hours like you would be in IB, though the bonuses aren't supposed to be great

> in tech and buying into wallstreetmeme

u can come work for me, we design and manufacture next gen space habitats

Have you never heard the phrase "the grass is always greener in someone else's backyard"?

Fuck what people say complaining about their industry, you need to work out if its pertinent to you.
Making bank is hard, you may think the sacrifice is worth it but when you actually do it, day after day your perspective changes.
Like this guys says, for some it's their catnip.

A lot of people end up burning out hardcore and end up going into some semi-creative profession because they're permanently fucked from the stress thinking it's gonna be easier.

That may not happen to you, but I'm just trying to contextualize why you're reading that shit.
Jerry Seinfeld said something I think is really depressing but profound:
>The blessing in life is finding the torture you're comfortable with

>finance

Enjoy working 20 hours a week in overtime for no pay. You would can make more per hour waiting tables.

>enjoy working 20 hours a week
>20 hours a week

When do you finish high school?

>next gen space habitats

If you can show:
>1.) Logical plan for monetisation
>2.) Profitability or projections to be profitable within the next 2-3 years
>3.) If not profitable, investment of some sort from a reputable shop

Otherwise you are part of the meme and need to get out before winter comes

He said
>in overtime

Ah

I stand corrected then.

But again, you do this in tech too, for a much much lower salary. Example: my housemate works in the same place I do, hasn't had a weekend not in the office for maybe a month, works late every night, earns €30k a year. I haven't done those kinds of hours in a while, but I earn the same.

Wew that sounds awful

Why not open a startup, OP ?

Actually used to be fine- the people are great, everyone became like family, you went out drinking all the time, free food/beer in the office, that kind of thing. Shitton of experience and great atmosphere, so a lot of people went here as a first job, myself included.

Atmosphere has gotten a lot more toxic over the past year though, so now that the fun bit is gone, it's just a shitty job

Wouldn't mind opening a business some day, but the startup meme dream is coming to an end, the air is coming out of the bubble quicker and quicker, hence why there's such a rush to IPO by people like Snapchat. Also why Twitter are currently shitting the bed so hard.

Startup ecosystem in places like SV is going to get purged hard, the days where you could survive on venture capital without actually being profitable are gone.

That having been said, it's still something I'd like to do when I'm more experience and rich. But for now, I'm chasing them dollars.

rescue bump

Does Veeky Forums have no one in banking?

Hey I'm in almost the same boat Op, currently doing an mechatronics bachelor but I maybe wanna go finance. I'm gonna do a math finance minor next year and after that I will decide if I will do a EE or finance master. I like both so maybe I can find something in between.

I actually do work in banking, but in DCM in Australia. I got home 10 minutes ago and am currently eating a microwaved meat pie for dinner before I go to bed in about 10 minutes. I dunno about the US, but in Australia it's very overrated. The traditional International IBs actually don't even make a whole lot of money here so your job is never stable. The only ones that regularly make good profits are basically UBS (#1) and GS, and a few others do okay. Nomura has made a loss every single year they've been here, as has Barclays (who recently packed up shop).

Same here. Apparently you get a shit load more in private banking and insurance companies

why do you think every single IB on wallstreet wants a private equity job
it's the golden path

i just wanna fuck models, all my efforts and hardships are for that very purpose..