Christians, what are your reasons for believing in God?

Christians, what are your reasons for believing in God?

I want to return to the faith but the evidence just doesn't seem there.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vyFepljl8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZlD4wY_yhck
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barabbas
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ussher
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism#Biblical_dates_for_creation
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Every action has some cause. Since time must be finite, there must be some original cause of all actions. That means catholics are right.

God can be a glorified acceptance of History, which strings you resonate or harmonate to is your individual reflection determined by either environmental factors (anything that can be influenced or controlled by another) or internal self combustion of free will (That which can't - often para or tantamounted to 'faith'). Or thus my worldview.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vyFepljl8
Chants of The Knights Templar.

Likewise, Byzantine Chants.

Likewise, Old Roman Chants.

Mozart, Beethoven likewise are honourable mentions ("classical"). Pray to the "God" of that which resonates to your blood, the often bound-construction of your "Soul".

See a personalised self, actualised.

There is no evidence. Even if he exists, he has no impact on the real world. And can you really say something that doesn't influence any part of the universe exists?

You could make a God tulpa, though. Then you'd make God real in your mind, and actually have a close, personal relationship with him, even if he can't impact the real world. Just talk to him and give him lots of attention, and you'll make him real, inside of you.

believing God exists it's like making the kids believe in Santa Claus
it's not just tradition, but a lot of love behind it. you carry on the belief even if you know there's tricks behind it because you feel the good values it brings within your heart: love, compassion, charity, good will and friendship
assburgers will never feel these things so they become "atheists"

[spoiler]but from a rational point of view God is a placeholder for the beginning of our Universe, the point when a bunch of energy turned into atoms and spread out in all directions
God is also a placeholder for the beginning of our Humanity: it isn't a coincidence Homo Sapiens started spreading from "Eden" (the Arabic Gulf) to populate entire Earth, some legends must have a truth in it
so yeah something happened to us and we became to be this cool. and until we don't find a better answer the answer is "God did it"[/spoiler don't work here oops]

trolling, right? In case not, here's the thing:

That would only indicate the existence of a god of some kind, it does nothing to prove the christian or even abrahamic god.

Why do you feel the need to believe in christianity? Just make up your own ideological faith that doesn't rely on incorrect assumptions. No need to mindfuck yourself into believing in stupid, unscientific fairy tales. Take christianity and remove the "this happened" shit.

Speaking as a physicist, I'll dumb down the science for you but the numbers are far too coincidentally perfect for just an odd occurrence in the universe. The concept of the Golden Ratio carries into nature in strange ways, and even on a simpler base, the distance between the Sun and Earth compliments life perfectly; if we were even a bit closer or farther away life as we know it would be unsustainable.

There is no evidence, that's the whole point.

quite buddhist, not bad
you become the God inside you when you actualize the "light" inside you, in other words when you become better person and illuminated. so yea believe in yourself

after tipping my fedora to you i'll take what good you said
>Take christianity and remove the "this happened" shit.
yeah, just be a decent person and spread the love around. that's the best you can do

I apologize for the euphoria, but couldn't think of another way to describe it. Other in this thread said it better than I did anyway.

Explain

It sounds pretty spooky to me.
I mean, it's like some kind of self-deception.

There's none. If there were any they would be advertising the shit out of it and everybody would have converted by now. All there is is "arguments", which are for a deistic God and not the God of the bible. The bible has been thoroughly debunked, linguistically, historically, scientifically... So much that Christians have retreated from muh infallible word of God to the more modest position of it's a metaphor/it's only infallible for salvation and morals (conveniently things that no one could possibly prove or disprove).

question for the christniggers on this thread

how can you be christian while knowing that your main version (KJV) has been fiddled and changed multiple times? (i can provide proof)

also how do you feel about people eventually believing fanfic like dante's inferno?

your whole beliefs has been butchered...

i'm a catholic and i just don't pay attention to the bullshit, tee hee
>butchered
only if you're an autist (well this is Veeky Forums)
from my point of view, most traditions were and will be _remarketed_. the objective always was to get everyone to become a member so "we can all be saved"

>self-deception
well what is love?
this is my Mom and i love her a lot, She loves me back. Jesus is my brother even if i'm adopted to His family
it's not that hard to understand that there's a huge social component in all of this and very little rationalization

also, how do you feel about breaking the first 3 commandments by worshipping mary, and having depictions of jesus in pictures and statues?

i never read more than 1000 words from the bibel in my entire life but the pics in the back are interesting af

Carl Jung's near death experience.
An academic with his entire reputation on the line explains as best he can what he saw when he died.
Everything he said seemed to make sense to me
I lay in bed a few nights later and thought I'd try to reach out to God and felt somrthing click in my brain.
I lost faith for a few years but now I'm trying to be a good Christian again.
I have to get to confession when i can.

>i'm a catholic and i just don't pay attention to the bullshit
nigger u wot

ok, ok, just look at this video, and tell me what you think of it
youtube.com/watch?v=ZlD4wY_yhck

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barabbas
>Barabbas's name appears as bar-Abbas in the Greek texts of the gospels. It is derived ultimately from the Aramaic בר-אבא, Bar-abbâ, "son of the father". Some ancient manuscripts of Matthew 27:16–17 have the full name of Barabbas as "Jesus Barabbas" and this was probably the name as originally written in the text.[12] Early church father Origen was troubled by the fact that his copies of the gospels gave Barabbas' name as "Jesus Barabbas" and declared that since it was impossible he could have had such a holy name, "Jesus" must have been added to Barabbas' name by a heretic.[13] It is possible that later scribes, copying the passage, removed the name "Jesus" from "Jesus Barabbas" to avoid dishonour to the name of Jesus the Messiah.[14]

>removed the name "Jesus" from "Jesus Barabbas" to avoid dishonour to the name of Jesus the Messiah.[14]
>removed the name "Jesus" from "Jesus Barabbas" to avoid dishonour to the name of Jesus the Messiah.[14]

even the most basic source proves that your book got fiddled mate

you know that your holy book got altered

you don't even read your holy book

why are you even still christian?

Why would we care that some giy had the same first name as Christ? It's just a name.
If he was called Barabbas Christ then I'd be a little worried

>Carl Jung's near death experience.
>near death experience.
hahaha

you know that when your almost dead, your brain starts producing a shit ton of DMT (a natural psychedelic drug) that makes you see insane shit and warps your reality?

in other words, near death experiences are bullshit, and no more than your brain making you see shit because of DMT drug

>said he knew his doctor was going to die just before he woke back up
>tried to warn him
>doctor died shortly after even though he was perfectly healthy prior
Dunno mate.
I'm not pretending to know everything
>all i know is that i know nothing
Just read what he wrote

you should take the time to read the Revelations, shit is dope as fuck
William Blake did a great job illustrating it

>even the most basic source proves that your book got fiddled mate
i don't doubt it
even Middle Ages copyists might have bowlderized the translation
still don't care lawls

>hahaha
>you know that when your doing heavy exercise, your brain starts producing a shit ton of endorphines (a natural morphine) that makes you high as fuck on pleasure? DYEL
lol materialists

well you should be a little worried because

the video i cited (which you didn't even open);

new revised version says there were 2 jesus's during that incident. one was called jesus Barabbas, and jesus the Annointed (messiah)

Jesus messiah gets killed, and Barabbas survives

so who's the real jesus? it's BARABBAS

In other words TL;DR Jesus did NOT die.

and this was kept from christians because it was removed from the bible (see wikipedia source)

>>said he knew his doctor was going to die just before he woke back up
this is somehow miraculous?

you've never read about DMT or dreams or Apophenia.

remember the last time you said "holy shit i knew this would happen i saw it in a dream"

well it's not a miracle, but it's DMT and apophenia in action, basically you hear/see shit that's unrelated to your current situation in your dreams/NDE and your apophenia connects them to your current situation

lrn2science

>still don't care lawls
not my problem but, how can you still trust the bible when you read it? considering you're aware that it got fiddled

>oh hey i know this book is fiddled but let's trust it anyway

I don't like the idea of a personal God. I prefer the notion of God being an unfathomable spirit which pervades the Universe (or is outside it) which we will never fully understand. It's because God is so large that he sees all human life for what it truly is, a speck of dust in the universe. This comforts me because instead of having to think "oh no God is watching me I better do the right thing to appease him" I can be myself to the full extent and not worry about the super powerful being who sees my soul as little more than currency or as Jesus put it, wheat growing in a field.

i don't trust it because it's correct, i trust it because it resonates with my common sense
like you also don't DO science, you just trust what a scientist wrote because it made sense to you
>lrn2science
please, show me how you reproduced chemical experiments with DMT on trustable conditions therefore you are 100% certain that it's true
you didn't do any experiment. you just are a believer. and i see no problem with it ^_^

>the distance between the Sun and Earth compliments life perfectly

So you're telling me life appears on planets that support life and not on one's that don't support life? Where did you get your degree Mr.(((physicist)))?

Isn't that just survivor bias? Obviously if the sun was too close to us we would never have developed, but in this solar system is perfect and thus life. It's not because we're special though, is because we are statistically lucky and if we weren't then we wouldn't be here to let us know about it.

Ok my answers are gonna sound super retarded, but here goes.

1. I feel it. I know that doesn't make sense, but I just do, you know? I feel it in my heart, I just know God is there. I just think deeply and look within and I just feel his presence and love and know He is there.

Secondly:
Again this sounds stupid but like. I'm here, aren't I? I can think, I can feel, I can make decisions, I can know. I must have come from somewhere. I'm not talking about my biological body parts. I mean my consciousness. I once did not exist, and then I started existing.

My consciousness once did not exist. I was just a black nothingness, I did not feel or hear or see or anything. I literally did not exist. And then I did exist. And all of a sudden I'm here I can see, feel, sleep, walk, eat, drink, think, ask questions, feel love, feel fear. How did I come like that?

So yeah, thats why I believe in God.

>inb4 some Dawkinsfag comes in to completely disprove me

the evidence is all the evil that prevades you

dude ur subconsciously ironically greentexting ur entire life try to wake up from the sarcasm

Religion is the philosophical argument in the position of mans place in the universe

w-whaat? I wasn't being sarcastic or greentexting except for that last quip.

Most of it was truly how I feel about the whole thing. Its a huge mystery to me, one that I feel can't be answered with what exists in the physical world alone.

>I feel it.

You can't infer truth from a 'feeling'. Feelings have no propositional content. What's really happening is that your feelings are a natural response to the unknowns of life and you are choosing (if even subconsciously) to implant "God" into the gaps.

>I didn't exist, now I do, therefore God exists

Non-sequitur.

a feeling can be an unpursued string, in reserve

Ok so you disagree with me, whats your point? You asked why I believe in God, I told you why I believe. That's the reason I believe. I'm not saying you have to have the same reasons to believe or not believe.

And I disagree 100% with everything you wrote there.

don't talk about feelings with assburgers, it's kinda rude like talking to born-blind people about the color orange

None of these are arguments.

I will give my reasons, lemme just green text my background first (pls no bully)

>raised Catholic
>mad at God as a lonely teen (tfw God won't give me gf)
>rejected religion on "scientific" and emotional grounds
>became edgelord as a young man
>matured, started to think differently
>realized that many of my criticism of Christianity are only valid against certain sects if Protestantism
>read Horus Heresy series from 40k, liked the aesthetic of future space Catholicism
>started thinking about religion again
>slowly dabbled back into Catholicism as an adult
>felt good man
And now, here I am.

As far as my reasons for believing, I must first address the reasons for not believing in the first place. I was selfish and mad that God wouldn't give me what I wanted through prayer, which was just immaturity. I was mad at the Church for historical events that are spun a certain way in Protestant USA, that I looked deeper into and found a different narrative. I was mad at the Church for perceived corruption, when it was in fact corrupted men using their authority within the Church who were to blame. I was mad at the Church for taking people's money while not realizing the missionary work they use it for.

I can't know for sure that the Bible is truthful, and in fact a lot has been shown to be false. The institution I grew up in has taken a stance or reanalyzing and adapting as information has come in, which I greatly respect. An institution that old is obviously gonna not be the same as when it started literally thousands if years ago, but the core teaching is the same and will remain that way.

Maybe life, and good, and God, and heaven, just aren't for you. Maybe you just want death, and evil, and satan, and hell.

That's because you're autistic.

You know you're lost, yes?

>and in fact a lot has been shown to be false

Is a lot of the OT metaphor? Sure, but that doesn't shake my faith as a whole, and in fact it has more of a beauty to it as these deep stories that are meant to guide us. Jesus was a cool guy, taught us great lessons, then died for it, and that's all that truly matters. The history and formation of the Churches that followed him are a part of our cultural heritage at this point, and that's almost more important than who's sect is most correct.

Prayer has given me peace, the rituals have struck something deep inside of me, confession to another human being is an enormous relief, the Priests who have committed their lives to the Church have all been some of the most caring people I have ever met, and being reminded of the lessons Jesus taught puts life back into perspective. The moment of creation is a distinct point in time, and the position of my Church has always been that, only to be proven by science later. The holy men from my Church's history sought to be closer to God by exploring the universe he created with concrete natural laws, and new evidence doesn't really shake that fact. God could, and likely intends to be outside of our ability to prove His existence, and it's through seeking out a relationship with Him that a nerve is struck within us that gives meaning to our seemingly meaningless trip through the universe.

tl;dr religion makes my life better, most humans as a whole desire a relationship with their Creator, some scientific stuff this book says was helpful too

You know you're just a lost pagan, right?

>every action has a cause

Actually since space and time are interwoven, before space there was literally no time, and thus no "before and after" or "cause and effect".

>The moment of creation is a distinct point in time

This is a Jewish idea that existed thousands of years before the abomination you call a church was created.

Anything that leads you to the conclusion that the catholics are right needs to be seriously revisited.

So despite the fact that you don't believe in God you insist you are not an atheist because you're an autist who thinks all atheists subscribe to /r/atheism or something?

Bait

what created Time then? as in, what was the first thing moving that caused Time to be measurable?

no, i believe in God, i just don't believe He or She or It is some bearded jew with a white toga
i'm not an atheist, i'm a heretic. it's different

>You know you're lost, yes?
What did he mean by this?

As in, no the world wasn't literally created in 7 days, and no it's not only 6000 years old.

And?

t. autistic protestant

>life appears on planets conducive to life

Really makes you think, Mr. Physicist.

>What did he mean by this?

I can't tell if that's an admission you know you're lost, or that you don't know what the state of being lost is.

Correct. It was created in 6 days, as God rested on the 7th.

Yes, it's about 6000 years old.

And claiming credit for Jewish thought that precedes you by almost a thousand years is obnoxious.

And your church is an abomination before God.

That's not even close to the most mind boggling fine tuning this universe had in order for us to be typing on a Cambodian knot tying board.

If the cosmological constant was off 1 part in 10^120, there would be no universe, no life, no us.

1 part in 10^120.

not him but by his image I'm assuming he meant to put your faith in something despite no evidence. That IS the leap of faith, kind of a pun.

But honestly I've never read Kierkegaard, maybe you should if faith seems to be an issue for you.

it doesn't though
or better said, intelligent life that self-questions its stupidity on a box made of metal and crystallized sand conducing non-natural electricity that causes light and sound signals which create understandable symbols doesn't just "appears"
we are awesome, like it or not. but we also suck, this guy for example that's a miracle in itself, but miracles aren't in the how, they're in the why. "how" can be explained anytime

>"how" can be explained anytime

How did the universe come to be?

Confirmed 80 IQ autist.

God did it :D
ps: this is what i mean with that reply, see the spoiler

but the mindblowing question will always be: WHY the universe came to be in a way that i can't find a gf?
that's what religion and philosophy are for

Time was created by the same guy that created God.

I didn't claim my church invented the idea, just that they held that position.

As far as the other things you said, your churches love to hold an allegorical story as a factual account, even though it happened long before written word, even though my """heretical""" church played a part in documenting those accounts, even despite the physical evidence to the contrary, and you have the gall to say that God did it as a test of faith, which I would call an insult to claim that He needs to play petty tricks on us to test our mettle, but God is likely above feeling insulted over it.

Oh that's fine senpai. I thought you were one of those contrarians who don't believe but refuse to call themselves atheists because they're insecure about muh fedora.

>ad hominem-ing me hurr
is not what i'm going to reply. instead, pic related

that's an interesting question. who was first, Time or God?
i will ponder over it while watching my navel

What created Time then?
As far as I'm concerned it's turtles all the way down.

I don't think you're getting this exactly. No one created time because there is no "before" time to create it. "before" is a concept that requires time.

The evidence is you.

No, your idiotic church actually believes in Darwinian evolution, which of necessity means that there must be millions and/or billions of years involved in this creation.

Your church is an abomination.

What are your reasons for believing in your mother?

Those are the same reasons I believe in God.

It's completely obvious to any reader of your posts why you are alone.

Zeno pls
everything is changing and Time is the proof

yeah, hence the "as in"
Time existed when something moving existed, as a property not a real being. just wanted to be poetical

Eternity is before time.

Eternity is after time.

Memes and dick waving aside, OP should read this It gives compelling evidence, as well as countering and dispelling major arguments for God that he believes hold no scientific ground, or are merely "God of the gaps" thinking, which is all too often assumed to be the main train of though that religious people must be following.

Plus, the dude broke the human genome, he must know something interesting about DNA that we don't.

>evolution took millions of years, therefore it didn't happen
How do you know that it wasn't a Catholic priest who wrote the part about the Earth being 6000 years old?
:^)

>Reasons
You don't need a reason to believe the truth and the sky will still be blue tomorrow. Look around God exists.

>How do you know that it wasn't a Catholic priest who wrote the part about the Earth being 6000 years old?
because it was a protestant archbishop who did the calculations
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ussher
me personally think it's human vanity. it could have been "6 days" for God and 6 billion years for human observers

It's a leap of faith and it will always be a leap of faith, no matter what way people will word it this has not changed.

I personally am interested in what causes the 'religious experience' or 'feeling of harmony' people can get from religion, I wonder if it has been studied yet.

This. A day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like one day.

Exactly, that's my whole point in that the story can't be taken as a factual account, and indeed isn't really written as one. How better to convey message to early, illiterate humans than through allegorical stories that contain the message?

And I knew about the calculation, I was just memeing about the source of the information, as in who was it that wrote down all these x begets y begets z that were used to calculate it.

ten thousand years ago, God created a 13 billion years old universe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism#Biblical_dates_for_creation

Young Earth creationism is a lot older than that, and was once the default Christian position

Time wasn't "created", it exists as a dimension of the space time block that's the universe, in the same way of spatial dimensions.

Yeah we say that now until it's "proven" it's only 6 billion or 120 billion years old and they were wrong.

Belief in god is based solely on faith. Faith is the key to salvation.

i see. Ussher was more famous for saying the world was a November 27th on a clear breezy day or something

it was created along with Space tho, so to say
the moment the universe was born is when the rest was generated as well, that's how i see it at least dunno about you

>gfw He's chilling in another universe watching you fap

We can't be certain about how the universe came to be, but keep in mind that without time there is no cause and effect, that's how we currently understand it.

Because it was Bishop Ussher, not "a priest", who calculated the genealogy of Jesus back to Adam, made on Day Six.

From the bible.

So if the Whore of Babylon never existed, we would be able to trace the genealogy of Jesus back to Adam, from the bible.

No, no it could not. Adam was made Day Six. Day Seven God rested, and the creation was "good" by God's standards.

If Day Six was a billion years long, then Adam was at least a billion years old.

Absolute rubbish. Yom = day, morning and evening confirm day.

Do you know what a day is?

It still is. What papists believe has no effect on Christianity.

Of course we can.

It's called the bible.

It's called the Book of Genesis.

With further elaboration in the Book of Job.

>morning and evening confirm day
the Sun was created on the "third Day". there was no morning or afternoon until then
don't overthink it, it's just a HUMAN measure of Time, a poetic license for the people to understand that things unfolded orderly according to God's will

There is more than one literal definition for yom. Just because we chose to use day as the most common translation does not make it what it's supposed to be. It can be any time of length

(You)

No, you're just so absolutely infantile that you think God cannot tell time without a sun.

Not yom combined with morning and evening, first day, second day, etc.

Not even a hint.