Why aren't modern rich people eccentric? kings would have pet cheetahs and have feasts and shit...

why aren't modern rich people eccentric? kings would have pet cheetahs and have feasts and shit. people are so boring these days

it's just proof that buying power is decreasing

Kings could also kill anyone who talked shit about them. These days you own a Cheetah and you have to answer to PETA and all sorts of other animal rights organizations.

Rich people wanna get more rich. You do that by quietly leading wise investments and new innovations. Not walking cheetahs around.

Look at Mike Tyson. Dude did that kinda shit. He made $400 milllion in his career. And now does not have $1million in his bank account.

because it would be embarasing

whats embarrassing about a pet cheetah

They're not really rich. If you put all the stuff it takes to be qualified as a really "rich" person it amounts to around $50M and then $10M annually. That means you need to be worth $150M+ no strings attached in order to qualify as really "rich". The number of people that fit this criteria that are aren't pawns is relatively small.

your neighbors would know you couldnt afford a jaguar

Better yeast in bread.
Better medication and treatment for insanity causing venereal diseases.
Better looking poor people because of improving living conditions means they don't exlcusivley inbreed and intermarry into upperclasses, but instead buy the love of lowerclass torphey wives.

They are literally just not as insane as the aristocracy of old

whoops
*trophy

and by "they" obvs I meant rich people

So you're saying shooting phallic symbols into space isn't eccentric?

Dude, every retard can get a cheetah, it's not unaffordable, even you and me.
But why, fuckiny why?
that's why ""the rich"" don't do it.

First off - royalty and the rich are two separate classes. Royalty seldomly cared about money. Their will was literally the law, no need for buying shit. They owned the land *and* the people - who was there to opose them? They could do whatever they wanted. Rich people however have to abide the law and are subject to public scrutiny. Even back then rich merchants and bankers were not exactly known for eccentricity.

And public perception has also shifted. Back then it was prestigious to host feasts and have exotic animals, but not so much anymore. This shit probably still happens, but probably behind closed doors. Every once in a while we hear about some millionaire receiving daily "massages" from underaged girls (Epstein), fucking pig heads (Cameron), having bdsm orgies in nazi costumes (Ecclestone). That's most definitely just the tip of the ice berg.

Also, I think we know much more about psychology and physiology. Stuffing your face with lard at an orgy is not healthy. And certain eccentricities are more likely to be seen as mental illness and your family will put you into treatment instead of standing by while you waste the family fortune.

Because back then they didn't have entertainment like what we have now. They didn't really have tv's or computers or gaming systems. So they had to improvise by getting pointless shot like cheetahs and lions.

Nowadays, sure, a pet cheetah might still be entertaining, but no more entertaining than playing a video game or some shit. In fact the novelty of the cheetah would probably just wear off after a while, since there's only so just much you can do with a cheetah, but you can always find different ways to play a video game, or buy another game. I'm just using video games as an example, there are other things you can do that are probably more fun than owning a cheetah.

I don't know. The same could be said about buying expensive cars or expensive artwork and those are still things rich people do excessively. There's also all these wealthy Saudis that still own lions and cheetahs as pets even though they have the best entertainment systems available (eg youtube.com/watch?v=Euo3JaqFoss )

rich arabs do it though

How do I stop myself becoming insane/corrupt when I finally make it?

A lot of rich people still do stupid shit. Look at Dan Bilzerian, the Cartel Kids, etc.

There's a rich dude literally wanting to go to mars. I'd say that's pretty eccentric.

Cause the jews made everyone gay

They panicked about communism in the 1930s and decided to mothball their top hats and mink coats. The help became "off campus" contractors without a uniform. The RSVP balls became charity events.

Basically, they have everything they used to have, except their conspicuousness. Why be a target?

One big change, though, is that the big universities have shifted from being rich kid daycare centers to being siphons for high test scorers. This has upset the applecart more than the old money crowd particularly like.

There are many technocratic rich people now, with hippie pretensions, since they weren't in college for plush daycare service and beer drinking. There's an essential tension between the new elite, trying to adorn itself with token of being "down to earth," and the old elite, which mostly flies under the radar and maintains old traditions as best it can.

>to be qualified as a really "rich" person
this guy again

I'm not sure you can. It's rare the the grounded, non-materialistic, not-thrillseeking, non-powerhungry people happen to become billionaires.

And consider this: Say you have a billion. And you're making about 6% each year which is probably low-balling it. That's 60 million. So if you simply want to keep your fortune where it is, your allowance is 5 million per month. Think about the last time you wanted to do something but stopped yourself because it was too expensive. A billionaire could do that. Every day of the month. Probably several times a day even.
Shit gets old. It's human nature you get jaded. And if you're not the physical thrill seeker who sooner or later kills himself anyway (Fosset) or a druggie (Jackson and many many more) - what's left other than more and more extreme hedonism? If you have 5 million a month to blow - how the fuck do you even reward yourself? Buying a sports car? Pocket change! Expensive holiday? You have your private island anyway. Physical things lose their meaning. The only thing you're after is experiences, because you can't buy those off a shelf.

Cringe

Buy African babies to feet to my pet cheetah: priceless

For English speaking countries at least there is a long, rich history of Protestantism. Originally Protestants frowned on greed, selfishness, and flashy behavior/appearance. Being wealthy was fine, so long as you downplayed it, worked hard, and we're charitable. In fact the whole idea of social welfare was a product of the Protestant Reformation.

Due to heavy immigration from Catholic countries during the 19th and 20th centuries, combined with the rise of the Religious Right in the 70s and 80s, the US has been tossing Christian morality and ethics out the window, replacing it with a culture of greed, consumerism, and tacky, low class behavior.