"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high...

>"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

why do americans seem to ignore/not care about the (long) history of foreign interventions of their govt?

also, why do americans seem to be so pro-military/militarism? I mean, I'm not anti-military, but they kinda are the other extreme. can someone explain this to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F3_EXqJ8f-0
youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why do nations look after their own interests at the expense of others?

What I don't get is why the pretend to be anything but what has been said a million times over.

It's of no consequence, I don't care if America is invading the world in search of oil and resources, we need that shit, take it.

What I don't get is why the constantly lie and us e modern propaganda and freedoms as an excuse to achieve their goals. People then actually buy into the propaganda.

That's the most bizzare thing in my mind. I really wish I was American I can experience this, i dunno, ideology? First hand.

youtube.com/watch?v=F3_EXqJ8f-0

>why do americans seem to ignore/not care about the (long) history of foreign interventions of their govt?
I like having cheap gasoline, food, and other goods. I don't really care what happens to some people in South America or the middle east if I get the things I want in the end.

then why do americans always argue that they are some sort of poor victims, that everyone hates the US, that the military is there to give them security?
it's obvious that none of these things are true, but people will still saying that the hate against the US is irrational and that any mention of interventionism from the US govt is some kind of conspirancy theory

It's all part of the game.

This.

They use the fact that China is building a military against China. But China is only building it's military to defend itself against America.

America is actually going to, knowing full and well what they are doing, destroy the modern world and then when it's all said and done they will through their hands in the air and be like
>well fuck, that's your fault not ours.

ignorance is a much more likely explanation, m8

instead of being an hypocrite here, or telling us what YOU personally think, try explaining what americans, in general (let's say the "average american"), think

>China is only encroaching on international shipping lanes and building artificial islands in international fisheries to defend themselves
Lel

Unlike you most people are not realist, believe in just world theory and want to label their nation as good guys.
Basically what every citizen of an empire said historically, USA is not much different in thatregard. Probably the same rhetoric average Chinese will spout in Chinese empire 2100

>its a european hypocrisy thread

THE SANCTITY OF OUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS SHALL BE PRESERVED.

that's nothing compared to what the US has done. AFAIU, china is like a very quiet child when comparing, in terms of foreign policy, against any european power. and they have a looong history...

>Basically what every citizen of an empire said historically, USA is not much different in thatregard
has it really been always like that?

>has it really been always like that?
I would say so yes "I have it better-I'm apathetic to others plights" is very human.

Are you trying to imply those areas are not of military importance? hell even feeding your people is of importance.

Are you trying to imply America isn't directly involved in the South-China sea as they will be the ones in control of it currently? Funny how those areas are thought to have a lot of oil? Funny how that ties into literally everything in this thread.

>america "supports" others in search of oil and resources
>makes lies to cover it up about being for 'freedom'

China always had control over the south-china sea. Until an abundance of oil was discovered there.

That's literal fact.

>That's literal fact.
No, it's one you imagined in your head.

read the OP?
the US hasn't "cleaned" anything, and even if someone could argue that they are doing just that... they have no obligation, nor right to do that, and I guess not even legal/moral arguments

>No, it's one you imagined in your head.
→ >the hate against the US is irrational and that any mention of interventionism from the US govt is some kind of conspirancy theory
there we go :)

Please leave my country tyrant lover

youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc

>No, it's one you imagined in your head.
t. ignorant of history

In a recent ruling from nations outside of China decided it's not theirs. That really has no basis in fact. China has had historical control over the South-China sea until very recently. That's literal, historical fact. Which cannot be refuted. The only other nation which could have a historical claim to the area is Vietnam - there is a shit tonne of money there today, there is too much foreign investment which cannot be allowed onto one nation, especially one such as China.

You are a fool if you think it's not about the oil there, which is thought to be more than that in Kuwait.

Except you also pay a shit load of money to have those countries invaded for your "cheap" things. you always pay for it in the end, this time you just don't have a choice.

I like Meme Carlin's metaphor for it. The US is a schizophrenic giant. We are a massive force in global affairs, but have to have internal struggles for our foreign policy because our very birth is rooted in the fight against unjust tyranny, while to project our power and secure our interests we ourselves must become the tyrant. These two sides of America have to cooperate to get anything done.

We conquered the natives to bring them modern civilization. We slaughtered the Philipine insurrectos to do the same. We fought in WWI and WWII to defend the democracies of Europe. Our cold war interventions were to defend democracy from Communism.

Of course, that's just the rhetoric.

>killing people and taking their shit is wrong

well, I hope the chinese don't believe that... and get many big nukes as soon as possible :)
oh, wait, they already stole lotsa shit from the US, without killing a single murrican. guess they are smarter, after all

>being an edgelord is right

git gud or git got eurofags

you mean cyber espionage? pretty sure every nation does that.

no, I meant baiting high tech US companies to transfer their factories there, and even US politicians to help them

>you mean cyber espionage? pretty sure every nation does that.
oh, this is another argument used by the average murrican, at least in the interwebs...
yeah, probably everyone spies, but the thing is, not every govt has the resources and experience the US has. also, these days literally everything uses internet, and the US actualls controls it. is not like other countries can escape from it.
it's documented in the snowden docs that the NSA does industrial/political/military espionage.

also, completely unrelated:
>nation
>govt
>state
do you really believe govts represent their nations?

being a source of cheap labour isn't some new development, even other countries do that

>it's documented in the snowden docs that the NSA does industrial/political/military espionage.

yes spy agencies tend to spy
much of what we consider espionage takes place in the corporate sector as well

Speaking as an American, I think it's a way of resolving cognitive dissonance. The American revolution was the first populist revolution in Modern times where the result was an elected government. Even though only about half the colonists supported independence, the soldiers fighting weren't professionally trained, and though they were sort of fighting for lower taxes, they were also fighting for a set of ideals.

Because the Revolution was successful and has been successful for the last 225 years or so, the ideals of the founding of the American government are still very popular. They're ingrained in our national culture.

However, they were designed for an agrarian or mercantile republic, not a continent-wide empire, and certainly not a Great Power. As a result, Americans either need to tap into the "witch-hunt" mentality, where they believe their freedoms are threatened, or the "laissez-faire" mentality, where they believe they can have more freedoms.

The witch-hunt is how the government regulates things on the home front. This can be everything from spying on private citizens to Japanese internment to the FDA (read The Jungle).

The laissez-faire one is the important one, however. Free trade wasn't all that important to the original ideals of the country, but a merchant culture was. All it really took was some clever propaganda by the government, newspapers, and companies to convince the American people that every citizen on earth should have the right to a "free market".

If you look back on American justifications for intervention, its usually to promote "free markets". That was the case in Vietnam, South America, Central America, Hawaii... the list goes on. In the case of Iraq, Afghanistan, etc., the idea was the witch hunt. Then there's things like the Spanish-American or Mexican-American wars, where the US felt other freedoms were being limited. The Texans were Mexican slaves and Cuban women were being raped.

>being a source of cheap labour isn't some new development, even other countries do that
I guess massively stealing the tech isn't new either... but they are doing that, and even more importantly, they are using the tech for developing themselves
(and btw, they also steal military tech from russia, too)

Dam son.

Thanks.

>they are using the tech for developing themselves
they're doing a pretty poor job at it.

for a country with a population of 1b+ people, they are advancing pretty fast
just yesterday I saw some graphs showing how much solar energy they are currently colecting/using, vs how much was predicted, and it was a LOT more energy than predicted. they also sell their own copies of military aircrafts, the stuff they produced is of much better quality than it was some 20 years ago, etc.
of course there is corruption and lots of poverty, but again, 1b+ population...

>1b+ population..
This is THE biggest consideration people need to take into account when talking about china. Something a lot of people seem to forget also. They also need to remember that China is like Australia, it's not very habitable except for a small amount of areas, where majority of all the people are situated.

>The laissez-faire one is the important one, however. Free trade wasn't all that important to the original ideals of the country, but a merchant culture was. All it really took was some clever propaganda by the government, newspapers, and companies to convince the American people that every citizen on earth should have the right to a "free market".
do you have any info on this?

>le first popular revolution meme
>what is the 80 years war?
American detectes