/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more!

/sthg/ - #608 - Classic Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/DevelopmentsRecent and Upcoming Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o1A8hO7Uqn0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fast

Best art style

youtube.com/watch?v=o1A8hO7Uqn0
YOU READY?

Reminder: Don't respond to off-topic shitposters.

Just summon the swatbots, & they'll be taken care of.

Does he still have a bit of Chaos in him?

Reminder: All of the 3d games are shit

except for 06

>Reminder: All of the games past 3&K are shit
FTFY

Reminder: all the games are shit

Except for chronicles

>Got Death Egg Zone music in SG
YE-
>It's the S&K
Sonic is just disappointment one after another.

Considering making a video showing off how every weapon in ShTH, mainly how they perform while leaving out listing every level they can be found in cause fuck that shit.

Would anyone even be interested in such a thing? Not sure if I should do it as one big video or break it up into videos for G.U.N., Black Arms, and Eggman weapons.

>Reminder: all the games are shit
This. The only thing they're good for is riffing material because of how bad they are. Same with anything Sonic related really

Sure.

the only thing shit about chronicles was the music

a shame ken had to ruin any chance of a sequel

Why not make one video, split it up into 3 parts within the video showcasing every weapon alphabetically by category, and then add attentions and timestamps in the video and description, respectively, allowing people to get to the weapon or weapon category they want more easily.

This.
The games have zero depth and are just uninteresting.
They should be 1:1 with the comics so that they get a better reception.

*annotations

I might do something like that. Will need to get a new capture device though, my old one decided to self destruct a couple weeks back. If I could get dolphin to run on my toaster I'd just emulate the GC version but I'll have to settle for capturing footage from my Wii I guess.

No, fuck that, don't make them like the comics. What they should do to start is make Sonic more of a character. He's just a generic hero. He doesn't even have a solid motivation or arc

Something as simple as "Eggman turned everyone he knew and loved into robots" or "Sonic wants to prove himself to others that he's not a nobody" or "He wants to be famous". Something like that

Maybe instead of starting him off as a perfect hero. Maybe have him be incredibly cocky at first thinking this will be easy, only to learn that this will take some effort. Or maybe have him scared at first, because Eggman's kind of scary as are his robots but Sonic will need to overcome his fear to save everyone. Something like that could go a long way towards making a stronger protagonist

You want to give him a backpack while you're at it?

Only Pontaff could write a story that ambitious, we need them back

Sure. It'd complement his design well and emphasize the adventurer side of him
It doesn't take that much skill to pull this off. Also, maybe scrap the cockines altogether. People don't like overly confident protags who beat everyone with ease. Have him be a bit more stoic and taking things a lot more seriously. He knows what he has to do and does it. Get rid of the quips too, as those date him as a character

And while you're at it, give him a motorcycle, a tragic backstory, & make him a gun-toting, swearing badass.

>And while you're at it, give him a motorcycle, a tragic backstory, & make him a gun-toting, swearing badass.
No, god no. Don't make him Shadow. Shadow's garbage

Because how much of a bullshit the emerald sensor was in SA2, this song is a representation of it

Well, you guys summoned our version of Barneyfag. Again.

What? I'm just throwing out an idea to fix Sonic as a protagonist

Making Sonic a fucking stoic isn't gonna fix him.

What do memes taste like

What is there to fix though? He's fine

It'd make him a real hero and not just a dated quip shouter

dank

No, it won't. You can be a '"real hero" without being a generic stoic.

No, not really. His character screams of a dated creation of the 90s. The same generation that created tons and tons of "edgy" characters who tried too hard to be cool

>fine
>Everybody in the world hates him
Yeah no.

It's obvious that nobody likes Sonic's attitude. We should make him an audience surrogate, give him a hero of his own to look up to, and make him a bland and inoffensive generic hero on a generic hero's journey. That's the best way to go forward.

He wouldn't be completely stoic. He'd occasionally have a wisecrack or boast, but he'd be a lot less cocky and "cool"
Actually, giving him a mentor isn't a bad idea.

If we're going to fix sonic we need to address the main point.

Fast isn't cool anymore. Sure, back in the 90's fast was the hottest fad, but now fast is seriously outdated. Who even goes fast anymore anyway?

We need to slow Sonic down to appeal to modern audiences.

>90s
>Eggman, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, The Chaotix, Metal Sonic, The Hooligans, etc
?
Also, in what ways does his character screams 90s

You can keep him fast. Just don't have him be Flash fast. And make him have trouble using it to its fullest at first. Maybe have him train to control his speed, either on his own or with a mentor of some sort
>Also, in what ways does his character screams 90s
The quips, the wisecracks, his general design, his personality, his 2cool4school attitude in general

Dude, his cockiness is what fans love about Sonic. That and he's a decent guy

His cockiness is obnoxious at best and intolerable at worst. He can be a decent guy without being a cocky asshole

But then he wouldn't be a Shonen protagonist and Japanese fans and investors would lose interest.

But I thought Shonen protags aren't assholes.

You must have played mostly the games written by Pontaff. Have you played Sonic and the Black Knight?

s
>>Eggman, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, The Chaotix, Metal Sonic, The Hooligans, etc
Also, I meant that media in general created "cool" characters. Just look at most comics from the 90s.
Japs don't like Sonic anyways. All the sales are in the west and I think kids could relate better to a more humble hero who has to become super strong and capable and who starts out unsure of himself rather than starting off as the best hero ever.
That game still had him making a ton of wisecracks. Also it was Sonic and Arthurian Myth. It was dumb

Can't we go back to being nice and having fun.

Seeing these accidental post numbers makes me wonder if there's a catalog of every first post from each board. What was the first post on Veeky Forums?

But most of the biggest kids/all-ages franchises today have protagonists who are wisecracking. Kids love that shit, even today. It's the autists in their 20s who think people need stale blank slates to relate to.

We will, once the shitposters leave.

>It's the autists in their 20s who think people need stale blank slates to relate to.
But don't thinks with blank slates make a shitton of money?

Someone complaining.

I literally just said that most of the ones that do are the ones with snarky wisecracking protagonists. Blank slates are boring, and only work with a strong supporting cast.

>What was the first post on Veeky Forums?
"Veeky Forums was a mistake"

Nice facts there bud.

This. Imagine if a Mario game be just Mario and Bowser and a Zelda game be just Link and Ganon

>Blank slates are boring, and only work with a strong supporting cast.
Sonic could still have that, though they'd also get overhauls. Shadow would be more akin to the big asshole rival who Sonic has to work to beat. Tails would be the sidekick. Amy would be his love interest, though they both hate each other at first and gradually grow to like each other. Eggman is the big bad villain, who, hating the fact that he felt the world didn't appreciate his work, seeks to take it over. Knuckles is the big dumb lovable oaf. Big is the wise old mentor who helps teach Sonic to master his speed, and so on and so forth

>franchises today have protagonists who are wisecracking. Kids love that shit
Like?

Spidey?
If you want something like that, write a fanfic about it.

>If you want something like that, write a fanfic about it.
If I could I would. These version of the characters are better than what we have now

Please do. Sounds fascinating.

Ok, this needs to stop.

Sonic the Hedgehog is like a living manifestation of Chaos, Speed, and the Wind. And through the combination of those three things comes Freedom and Adventure. Sonic lives life to the fullest, enjoying everything the world has to offer. He does what he wants, when he wants, and lives his life by his own rules, and never lets anyone tell him he's wrong. He can be quick-tempered, but possesses great kindness in bringing freedom to those who need it. He is honest and keeps promises, he is no traitor. Normally a habitual daredevil aloof from the world, but drastically changes and takes on a degree of intensity and acuity when there is a crisis.

And from there, Tails is his humble best friend, brother, and sidekick, acting as an apprentice that Sonic mentors. Knuckles is Sonic's best friend-Rival, counteralling and opposing Sonic's speed and chaos with power and order, destined to guard the Master Emerald where Sonic lives a carefree life of adventure. Amy is Sonic's love interest, being full of energy and in love with love, chasing down Sonic in search of the romance and marriage that Sonic naturally avoids. Eggman is Sonic's arch nemesis, the man who has the master plan and aspires to conquer and roboticize the world, threating to destroy the planet's nature and the people's freedom, which are the things Sonic cares for and acts to protect. Shadow is Sonic's dark reflection, his shadow, representing a different side of Sonic's own personality as the military's top-secret weapon.

Your ideas are fucking garbage

Fuck everything about this reboot.

And yet they're still better than the literal nothing we have now
Thank you for stating what we already know: that they're pretty generic non-characters

These comics are so fucking weird.

Im glad fuckers like you are not in charge of anything important

no

>Deadpool
>One of the highest grossing comic book movies ever

Totino's® Stuffed Nachos™ #stuffednachos

I generally think shipping is total cancer but Sonamy is pretty cute.

> pretty generic non-characters
That's the opposite of what I was describing. Everything I just said is full of character and potential and personality and stuff.

I don't call it cancer because it's been a part of the series since CD and I don't really mind it that much

All shipping is total cancer but pretty cute at the same time.

Except anything involving Snively.

Fuck Snively.

Sonails a best.

>Filename

>Fuck Snively
Alright, I will

After all this time I thought I was gunna be the only one to get it

>Sonai-
OUT

We need more Big and Sally

I don't get it why was Sonic so sad after that? I thought he hated Amy so he would be glad she couldn't recognize him.

He likes Amy, he just doesn't like the "THERE'S NO WAY YOU'RE GETTING OUT OF MARRYING ME THIS TIME" shit she does constantly.

Unleashed had shitty writing, what more needs to be said. You are right, he should've been thrilled he couldn't be recognized

As much as he finds Amy's advances annoying, he still likes her as a friend and wasn't used to her abandoning him so quickly.

>Unleashed had shitty writing
You fuck off right now mister.

That and I believe he was a bit insecure of his werehog form since he doesn't like people seeing him as a monster

Alright! I managed to get enough money that I can go to Sonic Fan Jam, barring any unforseen circumstance. I'm gonna finish off one last commission in a stream now that the chat's all better.

Hopefully I can go and meet up with anyone else here lucky enough to attend. Maybe doodle some quickies from there if I get some down time.

picarto.tv/yotomoe

>You fuck off right now mister.
>"Alright we have a tense scene of Sonic about to fight the battle of his life what should be happening"
>LE SILLY CHIP DANCE xd

Why Female Sonic is so cute?

Wasn't there a game?

Yes, two games and an Ask Sonikko with cute/lewd art.

What's your favorite Sonic plot, user

Isn't that ask sonikko gone now?

No, just changed the address for "sonicthebabe".

why is your dick so small user

Jesus, at first I was joking, but you guys really are black or white about every fucking thing