Why is America by far the most religious first world country?

Why is America by far the most religious first world country?

Define religious

>American """""""""""Christianity"""""""""""

beguz it's the biggesd har har.

I think long story short: Calvinism

aren't people rapidly becoming fedoras there?

Among whites and asians? Yes. Black people are staying religious by and large and Hispanics are a mixed bag. It's true that they're leaving the catholic church but many are just transferring to some protestant sect. Still quite a few are becoming atheist but not at quite the same rate.

Millennials as a whole are far less religious than their parents so unless there's a dramatic reversal the US will probably become as irreligious as Europe within a few generations.

Because while Europe became more and more secular, we continued to have religious revivals into the late 20th century. Look up the Great Awakening(s).

>Hispanics are a mixed bag. It's true that they're leaving the catholic church but many are just transferring to some protestant sect.

Well, that's a step to atheism.

>awakenings

more like degenerations

see fundie evangelicals, pentecostals, mormons, jws

>t. Fedoralord

Probably because it has the worst education system and highest poverty rates.

My lizard brain wants to go "HURRRR DUMB MURICANS," but obviously it's not all that. I'm honestly not sure of why at all, but America has always clung very tightly to tradition in general and typically hasn't been overly fond of large changes, except for that one thing with the tea and the independence, but that was when they were still Brits. Perhaps it has something to do with the many strongly religious people who literally moved to America to escape religious persecution, and thus clung ever tighter to their faith, holding it dear because others had tried to take it from them. Combine this with a fierce love for the rule of democratic law, and you get a very large population that votes conservative and would often literally rather die than not be in control of their own nation, from Farmer Clem right to the president, and which strongly favors Christian candidates for presidency.

It's just a western cultural thing. It will fade away eventually as society's material and moral level advances.

Because we were founded by a group of heavily armed obnoxiously religious pricks who didn't want to pay their taxes. Pretty much sums up all our problems.

>disapproving of heretics makes one a fedora

>Why is America by far the most religious first world country?

That may have been true in the past, but now there are so many Muslims in Europe that Europe is probably more religious than the US.

>10% of population

You could probably throw another 5 million into Europe and it still wouldn't even be close.

America has truly unprecedented levels of religiosity for a developed country. 70 percent of us identify as some form of Christian.

40% even believe in young earth creationism

Literally if these Great Awakenings didn't happen then Christianity would have died in the US like 150 years ago

The United States has never had an official national church. In fact, it was explicitly forbidden by the founding fathers. So there are lots of different denominations. So if somebody gets pissed at their church, they just go to a different one. In a country where the church is more monopolized, leaving the church meant essentially leaving the faith.

You can see this happen on Veeky Forums. Denominational shitposting makes the world go round. You get to choose the flavor that you live the most.

I would agree, especially the protestant churchs they end up joining. They're mostly in the southwest so they aren't becoming Baptists or crazed snake tamers and shit. Just really mild mannered Christians.

The U.S. has always been *relatively* lenient in regards to religion (not saying their record is spotless in terms of persecution, but the "freedom of religion" meme has existed in one form or another since the Colonial era).

This is not, in and of itself a bad thing. The problem is, "freedom of religion" became a meme pushed by the government during the Cold War. As a partial result of this, the "Religious Right" formed in response to the perceived "degeneracy" of the '60s and '70s.

America was literally the place where the religious fundamentalists went to create a godly society and escape what they considered a corrupt society in Europe.

And when I say it became a meme during the Cold War, I mean there was a big cultural push to differentiate ourselves from the atheist U.S.S.R. (and communists in general). Putting "God" in our mottos and on our currency.

I always enjoy seeing fedoras and catholics cope with the fact that the pinnacle of human society was protestant.

>protestant
>human

its a greentext meme

>Country literally founded on escaping religious persecution after the shitstorm of the protestant reformation.
>Murrica became a hive of religious migrators forming a melting pot from groups like Calvinists, Puritans, Catholics, Anglicans, Huguenots, Presbyterians, Lutherans, and Quakers.

????

Congratulations, protestants, you are God of this World.

>t. Worship saints like gods

Because it's got large parts still in the 3rd World

>venerate =/= worship

>i only venerate idols

no catholics venerate idols

You're right, you all worship idols.

Europe ain't much better.

pope footsucker