So I got this friend, yes legit a friend, not talking about myself:

So I got this friend, yes legit a friend, not talking about myself:

> 32
> Was a needle user from 19 - 22
> fucked up life, dealt with it via drugs
> at 25 went to rehab and completely turned his life around
> hard worker, nice guy, will tell anyone that asks that he used to be an addict
> Back in his needle days he caught HIV

So now he is living a clean healthy life but has to use some medicine to control the HIV. He works out and eats right, etc.

> He went for a job interview for a high managerial position at a non-profit
> Goes through 3 rounds interviews
> They offer him job, discuss numbers
> Completes background check as well
> He decides he should just be honest and tell them he has HIV
> So he called to tell them he is HIV positive
> 2 hours later they called him and said, "sorry this isn't gonna work out, offer rescinded"

He can sue right? I told him to speak with an employment lawyer immediately. But he is one of those recovered addicts who is all "peace, love everyone, forgive everyone".

That business broke the law and should pay right?

What possible indication does one have to reveal their medical history to an employer?
Literally what the fuck.

I agree, but he has that rehab mentality of "be honest with people and tell them about your life"

Yeah IDK, guess he just thought it would be better to be upfront about it.

Yes . Unless he has a job where being HIV positive is a problem for his work this is textbook discrimination and he should definitely sue

None the less I believe that once a formal job offer was given, hopefully in writing, and rescinded based upon his reveal of being HIV+ he would have a good case.
IANAL.

You think lawyers just hang out here? Cute.
Call/email a local lawyer and find out. They'll quickly tell you over the phone, for FREE, if there is a case.
But I wouldn't waste my time with it if your friend is riding the peace, love, and forgiveness train. It's his problem, not yours. Even if you guarantee he has a case, he won't entertain your thought.

That's what I said bro. The non-profit here works with teens, so IDK if that effected anything. But just basic helping the teens with life/school. Nothing where blood would ever even be a thing.

I've talked to him about the virus, he said it's at such a low count in his blood that even if he had unprotected sex with a woman it's very unlikely she would contract it.

Yeah I just wanted to see what the law is here. I'm gonna urge him to go legal here, but yeah it's his life.

Absolutely he can sue, that is disgusting. He should take them for everything they have. I one a case for something MUCH smaller.

When he told me I was shocked. He was a manager at a retail place making $13/hr and the job offer was like $45k a year.

He said he's pretty bummed.

I couldn't fucking believe it. A non-profit too.

Friend is a pathological lier.

How so?

HIV is still passable even if treatment is received.

Plus if he's had HIV and been treated. What's the point in disclosing this information if it's at an undetectable level?

Well yeah, he said that. Not like he barebacks women. I asked him about the HIV thing out of curiosity and he just told me some of the details of it. He did not say impossible, just unlikely, and he would never risk that.

As far as disclosing, IDK, kinda part of the sobriety thing for him is being very honest with people. IDFK, I'm gonna run into him soon and ask him about all this.

When working with minors there are stricter guidelines usually.

I worked as a camp counselor during my summers in high school and college, and I had to get a physical and a bunch of extra immunizations because of various federal/state requirements.

Hmm.

So the company may have a legal right to deny him the job on account of the risk?

Yeah working with minors can get complex pretty quickly. I have no idea what the non-profit does, but can you imagine the liability for the non-profit with how crazy parents are these days?

Still, the organisation should've been fairly clear on that, and at least mentioned some sort of medical clearance or getting a checkup.

> I'm gonna run into him soon and ask him about all this

You really should ask him questions and look for inconsistencies. There isn't any reason someone would be "Well I didn't tell them about my HIV. I'll give them a call and tell them. Even though I've been through the interview and have the job on lock. Just to be 'honest'."

used to know this piece of shit that was super vocal about muh privacy

he robbed an ATM at 14 and was caught
also dealt drugs in the last 3 years, also caught

could only get jobs at public places, was fighting the entire hr department about what was "legal to look up on him" and "information access", and would only survive at any private job for six months or so that didn't do initial background checks before they found out

"your friend" / you, are a piece of shit. own up to what you've done. you can still start your own business... if you had saved any money from not being a druggie fuck

Lawyer here, if he isn't a liar or a little bitch, he should call up the local bar association for the county or area that he lives in (easy to lookup in phonebook/online) and then ask for a listing of lawyers who would potentially handle cases like this, as well as asking for who the local NLG (national lawyers guild, would prob take it if they aren't busy) or ACLU(prob won't be interested) reps are, as they are much more likely to do the entire thing pro bono.

There is really nothing else to say in this thread until a professional has sat down and talked with your friend about what happened exactly, and what documentation he has that this happened.

Preciate it lawyer nig

I did fentanyl/oxy/heroin for 4 years.
I rarely if ever tell anyone, especially work related people.

Your friend is an idiot, then again he's probably a 12 stepper so he's been indoctrinated with lots of bad advice.