Did they have horse archers in the Roman army?

Well, did they, Veeky Forums?

No. That's more of a Turkroach and Sandnigger thing.

i'm no expert on the roman military but i feel like maybe the late roman army did and the byzantine military did?

I'm a field tech archaeologist and I once worked with a guy who insisted that if Rome had used "Mongol horse tactics" then they could have conquered "from scandinavia to south africa like it was nothing!"
He also said that Rome's biggest failure was that they were really terrible at incorporating people and learning from the people they conquered. I'm not fucking joking.

Wew, I hope you punched him

They had Sarmatian auxiliaries

>Sarmatian
>steppe
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You are literally the first person to mention the steppe

>He also said that Rome's biggest failure was that they were really terrible at incorporating people and learning from the people they conquered
Didn't the Gladius come from Spain? kek

romes really just a mediterranean merchant meme

How did he get his degree, assuming he has one?

Yes. They had very many in the later empire on the Syrian frontier. Even in the early empire there were Sarmatiae auxiliaries stationed in Britain as horse archers. They were used on the Danube to fight horse archer groups like the Roxolani, Carpi and Iazyges.

BA in Arch from a mediocre school. His high school teacher told him he'd probably never go to college. 30 years ago she would have been right.
Nah I still had to work with the guy 10 hours a day. I just let him prattle on and tried not to kill him with a shovel.

>I'm retarded

Why is he holding his arrows?

Yes late empire onward. A few auxiliaries, but mostly troops from client kingdoms on the steppe borders.
The byzs trained their cataphracts to be both shock and ranged cavalry in the early and middle period.

>He also said that Rome's biggest failure was that they were really terrible at incorporating people and learning from the people they conquered.

What the fucking fuck

Belisarius had loads of horse archers when he reconquered north africa and italy.

He's partially right the late roman empire should have concentrated more on cavalry.

Yes.

Kill yourself.

Horse archers turn and shoot. Quiver doesn't move with them. Horse archers are often riding rapidly in and out of range, limiting engagement time. Holding spares means he has arrows in a fixed location. He can always see them, and his muscles memory will allow rapid knocking without having to grope around for an arrow.

If he's fighting infantry, or non-archer cavalry, he can always grab more to carry in the hand after the pass.

The Byzantines also had a very large corp of men who's primary job was horse archery. This is how they beat the avars.

They DID. The ratio of cavalry to infantry increased dramatically.

Said cavalry was an absolute shithshow and routinely routed and left the infantry to win or die without them.