Does religion inspire good people to do evil things?

Does religion inspire good people to do evil things?

Other urls found in this thread:

brahmanedu.org/english/materials/summary.html#story6
brahmanedu.org/english/books/true1/books_true1_15.html
brahmanedu.org/english/books/heart/books_heart_vods26.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sure it does, but without religion people can be still be capable of evil things.

Yes

Yes. But depending on the religion it can also influence bad people to do good things under the threat of eternal judgment. It's sad that that's the only way some people can be influenced to do good, but it's still a benefit in my eyes.

Does it inspire bad people to do good things?

All the religions are destroyed because great devils and great devil deities seize the power in most of all the religion.

This is about destruction of Buddhadharma. brahmanedu.org/english/materials/summary.html#story6

This is about distortion of other religions. brahmanedu.org/english/books/true1/books_true1_15.html

No. Not necessarily.

What it does do is convince people that, because they are working with the guidance and for the glory of the ultimate authority in the universe, anything they do can be justified.

It's the same reason why people in Communist nations believed that their attrocities were justified because they did "For the People"

Religion convinces people that they aren't accountable to other people.

No. At most it provides an excuse to commit evil deeds, but if religion didn't exist people would just find other excuses.

to be honest family if somebody can't be helped through understanding and thinking for themselves they can't be helped through fear

Religion is evil because it promotes faith and ignorance as the highest "virtues" while condemning wisdom and rationality as "sins".

No, it inspires weak minded people to do both evil and good things.

Not really, the idea to fly planes into towers isn't really present in the Koran

For good or bad, it would seem that the presence of religion enables/facilitates these kinds of conceptualizations about what one does in order to externalize or dissolve one's agency in unfolding events.
One may say that one acts for God, that is, one is tasked by God to take action and that it is a matter of obedience.
One may also say that God acts through one, so that one's action is in fact a direct manifestation of the divine will. One had no personal choice in the matter, because one was chosen.

I think delusion doesn't specifically need religion, but there are aspects of religion that can amplify delusion, let's say.

>Does religion inspire good people to do evil things?
Evil is something unto only itself. It only comes from it's own likeness. Good can't be evil and vice versa. This is why you have to know the difference between God's will/The Gospel versus man's religious law.

> It's sad that that's the only way some people can be influenced to do good, but it's still a benefit in my eyes.
Only no one does good perpetually out of fear. If someone has evil as their desire hidden behind that fear, it's only a matter of time...
--------------
--------------
But the difference between religion and the gospel is this--

Religion: I obey, therefore I'm accepted. It's obeying a law for acceptance. Religious leaders, like the pharisees for example still had murder on their mind. They murdered Christ and even Saul murdered Christians. Whatever fear they had wore off a long time ago. Now hiding behind their "obedience to the law" they were able to convince themselves and justify their evil desires, their murders. They actually thought they were doing God's will.

The Gospel (which was AGAINST religious laws): I'm ALREADY accepted, therefore I obey. I'm ALREADY loved, therefore I obey. Out of gratitude and thanks for that unconditional love, one obeys and take heeds to warnings regarding sin. It's out of thanks and understanding they obey.

But some Christians are like the pharisees, they're looking for an excuse to condemn someone. This man motivated religious condemnation, which is evil, is not "good." It's impossible for evil to be good.

Are you one of those "Christianity is not a religion" types?

Stephen when he was stoned to death, he had the gospel. Whole time he was getting stoned, he was just asking Jesus to forgive these people. They simply didn't have or understand God's love. They were murdering in the name of man made religious laws and out of their own evil frustrations.

So yeah, fear doesn't work in "making people do good." It never has. If there's any evil in anyone, it will manifest through the desires, doesn't matter if you're waving a fake "good flag" or not, evil will do evil. I mean these pharisees were people who lived by religious law, God commanded them not to murder or else...they still murdered. All while trying to rule over others with fear and justifying their actions in the process. They just perpetuated a miserable state of existence for their people because of this. Which is why Christ showed up to right the ship to begin with. To spread the good news. The Gospel. Which is basically....chill out, you're father loves you, you have no reason to be angry and stone-happy. Sin is the only reason you guys are suffering. (sins are evil manifestations)

"Types" ...?

I don't know. What I do know is that I read when I can and study what I can. Long story short, people look for contradictions when there really are none.

Like you can't look at man and judge God's word from what that man is doing. That's a pretty fundamental lesson from that book. You have to be able to discern the truth from what is false.

>You have to be able to discern the truth from what is false.
If you value truth then why are you even taking the bible seriously in the first place?

The joke here is that this kind of self-knowing "I understand God in my innermost heart" shit is more likely to make people do evil than just about any other conception of religion.

The kind of religion you dislike is one which promotes societal cohesion, one which makes people responsible to each other and binds ties between PEOPLE.

The kind of religion you like is a state of mind indistinguishable from madness, it allows someone to commit any kind of atrocity and still feel righteous inside because they KNOW it's what the God they know in their heart would want.

Because it's realistic.

Evil is in the world, it works with the flesh and comes from the heart of man, no science can stop it. It's a plague to mankind and will be continue to be so until otherwise is said.

damn there sure are some good opinions in here...............

How in the world is the Bible "realistic", it claims angels and demons and God are performing magic and miracles.

>The joke here is that this kind of self-knowing "I understand God in my innermost heart" shit is more likely to make people do evil than just about any other conception of religion.
That's only if you don't have the proper terms or incorrect values in the equation- basically when you don't know God. But when you understand that truth is uncompromising, it can't be "kinda true" and it can't be a "lie", when you know truth is uncompromising, then you would know fears and paranoia hold no weight in a discussion like this.

But what does tie people? What in the plethora of ideals and concepts that were made before man, that are made for man to choose and grasp onto, out of them all, which one creates cohesion and peace between people? What is it? It's only a four letter word so this shouldn't take long to answer. I really want you to answer the next question though.

>The kind of religion you like is a state of mind indistinguishable from madness, it allows someone to commit any kind of atrocity and still feel righteous inside because they KNOW it's what the God they know in their heart would want.
Explain this. This may take you a minute due to the massive jump to conclusions lol.

The engineering perspective it offers on the emotional fallacies that we generate, that alone is timeless knowledge. How covetousness and idolatry can lead to murder and other evil behavior that not only effects the individual and his immediate surroundings, but how it can spread beyond the immediate surroundings, again, timeless knowledge. Pointing out the pitfalls in advance, because "to be forewarned, is to be forearmed." Just far more realistic than any fairy tale sci-fi fantasy that's being pitched nowadays.

Exposing the reasoning and motivation for the exploitation of weaker and poorer nations for their resources, all in the name of finance and global leverage for dominance, creating enemies when otherwise there would be none. Far more realistic than anything I can find anywhere else. The greed and coveting behind it all. That the proud are blind and can't see a single thing outside of their own perspective.

It's all far more realistic to our condition and situation then anything else I've come across. I ask questions, it answers it, with no bs. Thoroughly exposes the motives behind people and why they choose what they choose.

>Like you can't look at man and judge God's word from what that man is doing.

Actually you can, you just have to be able to discern if what he's doing is true and not false. Like the guy who's only into God for the money and tax exemptions...You can't look at that guy and then claim somethings wrong with God. You know?

Why not, exactly? Are you suggesting all misunderstood people are totally fearless? Much less of divine retribution?

Say you're religious and everyone around you hates you, but you're taught that hardship in this life is a test for a good afterlife. Or also possibly that "if you sin now you're fucked after you're dead so behave." Compare that to if everyone around you hates you and you're not religious, and you're convinced "this life is shit and the worst that can happen is it not continuing. Fuck it."

There will obviously be exceptions in both cases, but I don't see the logic in your statement.

religion inspires people

what they do with the inspiration is completely up to them

Yes, of course it does. In the name of their religion.

Do evil countries inspire good people to do evil things? Of course. In the name of their country.

But what country inspires people to do good things?

I'm an evil person and religion (specifically Roman Catholicism) inspires me to do good.

If you mean Islam, then sure it creates hate inside of people. They're brainwashed into it.

Define Evil.

Causes harm.

>good

>evil

So I suppose killing people to save others counts as evil then?

absolutely.

Yes.

Any person can use just about anything as an excuse.

yes, unless you're christian

There's no right part in murder. Not ever.

- Sasperella Snek

brahmanedu.org/english/books/heart/books_heart_vods26.html

Easy to say when you haven't read that book