> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So, continuing. C++ or Java?

I am asking this having written code for 6 years but with little knowledge of game writing resources for each.

Whichever you are more comfortable with.

first for gms

I mean, that's the obvious answer, but I was hoping for something more in depth.

Which has faster libraries, in terms of development speed and running speed?
Which is compatible with more platforms with said good libraries?
Which one has libraries with the greatest array of features which are the most easily accessible?

>at home on a Saturday night working on your game instead of smashing prime pussy and feeling their soft, delicate bodies pressed up against yours afterwards

proud of you anons, sacrifices must be made if we're going to make it

c++ for 3d. java for 2d

How did you guys come up with the design for the main character of your game?

Witches are CUTE

Why that distinction?

yyeaaah... that's why I don't have a girlfriend, it's because of "sacrifices" for my "game"

same way Nioh did, I just copied Geralt.

inspiration from sex dolls

I showed the guy my placeholder model and he made a different one

because c++ for 2d is overkill

i just played around

unity/unreal for 3d gamemaker for 2d

i made something that looked like it fit with the main gimmick of my game and then i put a scarf on it

I was thinking about putting a scarf on my character as well. It is just such a cool accessory.

C++ runs faster, but you'll develop faster with Java because you don't need to manage memory. Java is compatible with more platforms because of its JVM. C++ has more libraries.

I don't believe you have six years of experience with C++/Java if you're asking these questions.

If the goal is to make a game, then you should probably get Unity and learn C#. The language is very similar to Java and it only took me a few days to learn it. Making video games is already a colossal task, so it would be reasonable to do whatever you can to save time.

This game isn't going to make itself
Besides once people see how I can make game they'll be impressed and want to be my friend for sure

yeah, all the cool kids wear scarfs, and not in just Old Navy commercials

godot and construct2 for mememaking?

So I've finally decided on my game concept. I really want to make a Diablo/GrimDawn/PathOfExile clone.

Any tricks to get this baby rolling? I can already do some 3d modelling, but I need to know where to start on the programming. Unity and C# is my best tools right now.

>mfw an 18 year old girl is really into me and thinks it's awesome that I make games for a 'living'

They're not that hard in concept, from a programming point of view, minus the deterministic lockstep required for multiplayer.

Making them fun is the whole challenge.

I am maken a Roguelite Breakout.

You start with 4 balls, and the levels get progressively harder. On mobile, tap and you place a platform. Platform length and duration is a stat. Balls bounce around hitting blocks, or walls on the side/top. There is no wall on the bottom so you must place a platform to bounce it back up.

Lose all your balls, the game starts over with just 5 balls. Otherwise you keep going and it keeps getting harder.

Also, each block gives XP. XP can be used to purchase talents that are persistent between runs, like +1 starting ball, or +1 active balls, or +1 platforms, or +%platform width etc.

There will also be chest blocks that if you hit them, release a thing you can tap (I'm making it for tablet). It can contain a random buff, debuff or modifier.

Like releasing more balls, or increasing all ball speed for a few seconds, etc.

It's so stupid but it's kind of becoming a little bit fun.

>when you tell girls you make games for a living when you only make $1 a week from it

>communicating with female s
normues ree

>I make games for a 'living'

So spiritual successor to sorcerer's maze (PS1)?

where do you get the 1$ from? currently making 0

I get my 2.33 a week from sellfy and itch.io

Gmod is a treasure trove of interesting game ideas ripe for the stealing

Never saw that before now but yeah kinda.

ios app store

The Donald will be on sale on the asset store sometime towmorrow,

you better have a similarly misleading cover/title screen

>The Donald

Literally who?

oi aggy
I'm going to spend the night making music for practice, if any of you want some free custom tunes for dino jam, hit me up.

That's looking awesome. I love the new color scheme for the fire when killing the bat, never liked the red one used in the nes castlevanias for that.
I would suggest that the bats die when the boss dies too, Since you weren't forced to kill all of them while the boss was alive you should be forced to kill them after he dies to open the door.

Reminder not to let your dreams be dreams.
youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU

>spending the week refactoring and now having doubts about your new systems

This is why you wont make it, you get stuck with trivial things.

Thats what version control is for. Just rollback.

Adding more rays doesn't seem to change the fact that when one ray (or multiple) hits a different face on alternating frames, it's going to align to a different (albeit marginally less different, due to the average) angle on alternating frames.

I might be doing it entirely wrong, of course.

One time I was fiddling around a game's character creator out of boredom until I ended up creating a character who design resonated with me so much that I wanted to recreate them on paper, in my own way.
Enamered with the results, I begged the question, What If I could make a story with this character? So after that I continued to tweek said character further to something ideal and I was also thinking up a story that would be best for this character. And so on and so forth, the rest was history. My memory is a bit fuzzy but that was the broad strokes at least.

This was 5 years ago.

smooth between the current rotation and the target rotation, rather than instantly setting it

Won't that just delay the problem?

Let's see...

What are you trying to do?

Do you have to plan your game ahead of time to make multiplayer? I'm guessing you can't just throw it in later or anything?

How much does it increase the difficulty and time-cost of making a game?

Exactly five months.

what platform

if you want online multiplayer, you need to design your game around easy implementation of onilne multiplayer, otherwise you're setting yourself up for hell
turn-based games and delayed inputs based shit are an exception i guess

Last call before I leave this taiwanese duck preparation BBS

You didn't even post a sample

What are you trying to accomplish? Faux gravity? Ground clamping?

Faux gravity, yes.

Seems to have the same effect, just happens slower.

You didn't post a game either

thanks user! i appreciate the kind words

>I would suggest that the bats die when the boss dies too, Since you weren't forced to kill all of them while the boss was alive you should be forced to kill them after he dies to open the door.
i dont think this is a good idea. it would be really frustrating if you barely managed to kill the boss with a point of health remaining and get killed by a bat. plus it would tedious to make the player kill them even though post-boss-death is usually a universal breathing time.

i want the game to be difficult, but not frustrating. still appreciate the input though, user, so thank you.

Sorry, I fucked up my post, I need to proofread before hitting the submit button.
>Since you weren't forced to kill all of them while the boss was alive you SHOULDN'T be forced to kill them after he dies to open the door.
That's what I meant, so yeah, seems we were thinking about the same thing after all.
Again, great work, this is one of my favorites agdg games right now.

That's actually really easy to implement, you're hacking at this the wrong way.

The only thing you need to do is rotate gravity to push you toward the planet center. PlanetPos - YourPos to rotation

lookDirection = Quaternion.FromToRotation(transform.up, (planet - you).normalized) * lookDirection

look rotation is controller by your horizontal mouse input and by this line above, if you apply gravity like velocity += transform.up * -gravity * Time.deltaTime, gravity will always be applied relative to your lookDirection.

then to rotate your actual transform you do the same thing but transform.rotation = Quaternion.FromToRotation() * transform.rotation

Are you using the normal of the point of collision as your rotation and gravity?

oh, gotcha. yeah, now i see what you mean. i guess that final bat could possibly kill the player. however i did make it so that the bat physically cannot kill you unless you jump into it, and you dont need to kill it anyway. itll just fly away with the rest of them. its still something that requires more consideration on my part though. thanks for bringing that to my attention.

>Again, great work, this is one of my favorites agdg games right now.
d'aaww

although I might add if you have a really really small planet, this solution won't work very well. If your planet is rather sizable you'll have a desired result walking over sharp edges and what not.

Yes. The (literal) edge case is that when standing on an edge between two faces with different normal directions, aligning to one normal can make the ray collide with the other normal, which then keeps alternating between aligning to the two normals.

Admittedly, with the lerping, the shaking isn't so bad.

>Heroin withdrawal simulator

Ei guys, how hard it is to make a fun turn based battle system? I'd like to make a game like Child of Light (platformer/RPG).

>hey guys how hard is it to make a thing
very hard

Check my 17

Aw man!

Finally got my hex grid working for my tactical cyberpunk game

Need some ideas for unit abilities both passive and active, or any cool ideas for a grid based tactical game in general

Never played Xcom before either. I''m basing my game more on Fire Emblem

Each faction has a warleader and the first one i am working on has a cute android girl with a flat chest whose faction focuses on hacking

Of all 3D genres, which is arguably the easiest to create? Platformers? RTS?

check my 8

check my 5

Aligning to the center is a good method for the "special" case of a convex planet. But my approach is for arbitrary meshes as gravity normals.

If the regular units something like robots, something could be converting certain units to your side using hacking Lololol style, or possibly something along the lines of disabling ranged units for a turn.

You're using rays to detect collision?

ok check my 8

Go play xcom you shit
You can't make a cyberpunk game while ignoring one of the biggest cyberpunk games for fucks sake
You better have played shadowrun too

>done with dynamic configurable state machine
>done with battle base mechanics
>time to add more stuff
>.....

What now? I always get stuck at that content part.
Also how do you feel about the Ecclesia left-right battle?

keep going user!

>RTS
>Easiest in any dimension
RTS is super difficult in every dimension. If you want to produce anything just above of "too shit to downvote", steer clear off RTS.

Easiest definitely walking simulator. Include some half-assed story about lesbian rice farmers in the 1870s and vomit out some generic assets and you'll be rolling in cash and fame.

>dynamic configurable state machine
As in "has its own scripting language so adding new states is easy" or "new states added at runtime"?

tfw you have all of your game systems in place but you can't draw for shit :(

I keep telling you people to just become engine devs and pray to the rng gods your patreon gets noticed.

>daiz in charge of making OP

Time to learn draw

>not hiring an androgynous fuccboi from deviantArt to make your sprites for 50$ per pixel

That's really cool. I think a much higher polygon mesh would make the snapping to different faces less jarring.

This might be oversimplifying it, but what if you kept your downwards ray, but instead of immediately snapping to the rotation beneath you, you lerped to that new direction? If nothing else that would smooth it out.

As for standing ON THE EDGE, what about averaging the normals of 3-4 raycasts below you and slightly offset? Somebody must have said that already. Is there a reason that wouldn't work?

tfw also being a student so can't afford to hire artists

Per pixel in terms of what? A single sprite, animated sprite, a tilesheet?

Tell me about it. Started thinking about protag design and I can't draw for shit. Hopefully I'll be able to make something atleast readble at one point so I can give it to some cute artsy girl and she can turn it into something cool.

I'm thinking about darkbasic to make a game
someone stop me before i hurt meself

>Girl has joined my group

Shit, what do I do?
Is this going to be one of those things where guys start competing for the girl and the whole group just falls apart?

Per pixel as in a single pixel.

Woops forgot to attach my
shitty WIP

>X-Com
>one of the biggest cyberpunk games

>You better have played shadowrun too
Those were among the shallowest "tactical" games I've ever played.

>group
That's where you fucked up.

Hopefully those are some CPS2 quality sprites you're paying for.