Hey Veeky Forums, visitor from Veeky Forums. If you're anything like us you hate people who come to your board...

Hey Veeky Forums, visitor from Veeky Forums. If you're anything like us you hate people who come to your board, ask their shitty, ill-posed question, expect your help, don't take your help, then leave, but I thought this was funny enough that hopefully you'd forgive me.

>be me
>driving my pimp van
>1992 toyota previa
>threw out middle seats, put in cozy soft green astro-turf-esque carpet
>have already screwed on it like 5 times (had the car for 2 months)
>so I'm driving
>hear a little clang and feel a tap on my foot (which is on the accelerator)
>pull over, look down, see this thing on the ground next to my foot
>it fell from above
>idgaf.jpg
>keep driving
>decide to ask Veeky Forums when i get home
>forget for about 6 weeks
>find this thing today
>decide to ask you guys

Well? Work your magic, br/o/s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XtRCqxpyxnY
youtube.com/watch?v=78InPT4iqlw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't care and it's a flux capacitor.

cool, extra parts
It's just like IKEA!

if everything works as it has been i wouldnt worry about it at all

Probably a brace for your pedal mounts. Are there any loose bolts as well?

>92 previa, brand new brace
I guess?

honestly, my thoughts exactly

no loose bolts but they could easily have hidden somewhere

you guys seem nice
r-right?

don't claim anything is better than anything else or the thread will go to shit.

it has some new parts in that area of the car
when i bought it i thought the alignment was super bad, brought it to have it fixed
the mechanic was like
>there's no front left tie rod
>it's simply not there
>wtf man

so he replaced some things in that area

youtube.com/watch?v=XtRCqxpyxnY

congratulations on having sex but what does that have to do with it

cheeky bastard
might as well just say that engineering is better than physics

That's impossible, without a tierod you wouldn't be able to steer at all.
Its a motor mount OP

they put sex in all the car commercials so i figured it must be an effective technique for getting attention from Veeky Forums people

>That's impossible, without a tierod you wouldn't be able to steer at all.
i'm not kidding, he even had me look at it and was like, dude, there is no part here, how do you steer
i had to turn the wheel like half a rotation to go straight
he was really confused at how i was driving but i got that baby going 80 mph without a tie rod

you got pics of the front tires? I'd imagine they looked like shit after that

I'm sorry.

Buy a lottery ticket right now. I once crashed my car and broke a tie rod, couldn't even get it on the tow truck.

As for the original question, if the car's been running for 6 weeks without issue it shouldn't be a problem. Could have just been a mount of some kind, or a bracket to stop two different parts from jiggling around a lot. That is, if it fell from above the accelerator, not from the accelerator itself.

i had to replace them, i have no idea how they didn't pop. the threads were exposed.

this is all i got, this is when i bought it, with the seller getting stuff from the trunk

Well I mean it is

God those wheels are fucked

>This is the kind of fucking shuttlecraft Veeky Forums chooses to drive around in

My guess is it's part #11 here. You probably never tilt your column and even if you do, I guess you wouldn't notice 1/2 of them being missing if you didn't notice 1/2 of your tie rods missing - which I was hoping to find a more complete illustration of your rack to figure out how was even possible.

looks like hydralics. can you still move your car down and to the right, OP?

also, what's the enol tautomer of benzaldehyde?

BAZINGA
the tilt doesn't work on my steering column, which i've been kinda bummed about because the wheel blocks half the speedometer where it is and the seat certainly doesn't go up/down

YOU GUYS ARE MAGIC
user, you are a gentleman and a scholar
you should be an automobile forensic scientist

if you care enough, i can take pics in the morning for you. if not, that's cool too

its just a fucking brace for the heater core or blower fan or something who cares.

That looks like a pice of your windshield wiper linkage.
Turn your wipers on an see if they work correctly.

That does not look like a car part. Especially not from the interior of a toyota.

>cringe post out of 10
>cringe choice of vehicle

I've worked on quite a few brands of car and I've never seen a manufacturer use that kind of pressed tubing method to create a part.

OP is 16 with his first car

You're welcome I guess

I assure you I don't give one fuck about your 1992 Toyota Previa beyond being sort of puzzled about how you and the PO drove it with only one tie rod but here's a pic I like to post of a 1996 Caravan

>This is the kind of fucking shuttlecraft Veeky Forums chooses to drive around in

Clearly he needs plenty of space to keep all the underage girls in but can't have multiple doors or they might escape.

Just how DID you get laid in that?

Nice

Nice

Honestly man, any time you own a vehicle, you should hunt down a physical or digital copy of the service manual. They don't always contain the best DIY advice, since they're meant to be used by mechanics who are already used to approaching problems a certain way, but they do have exploded parts diagrams and basic instructions so you can guess if you can/should fix or diagnose a problem yourself. Then you can save beaucoup buckaroos buying parts yourself and paying for labor, or doing it all yourself.

god danmit user you made me spit my coffee

engineers think negative pressure is a thing, so no.

But it is a thing you mong

Ghetto bitches lol

Your "mechanic" was either making a mistake, or you're misremembering.
You were not driving any car 80 with out a tie rod.
The one time Everything GM has bee right.

WE DID IT REDDIT, WE CAUGHT THE RAPPIST!

like negative volume, negative energy and negative temperature, indeed.

No, it's an enclosed area of low pressure surrounded by an area of higher pressure. But you wouldn't know that, since you apparently have negative brain cells.

Fucking this!

God how did it take so long for anyone to notice that not only does it not look like a toyota part from '92, IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY MARKS FROM BEING BOLTED DOWN!!

I'm sure the PO put it on the dash or the center console and it fell down and eventually landed on your foot.

To all the haters, I'm well into my 20s, its like my 7th car, and I'm not ghetto in any way. It's a total hippy van. I know that you guys with expensive cars don't want to believe it, but there are a lot of people out there who will judge you on you, and not the pricetag of your car. If you're a douche and your car is nice, this is really bad news for you. If you're not a bad guy and your car is shit, this is great news for you. Have fun driving your shitty Hondas with huge tailpipes pretending anybody other than other shitty Honda owners gives a fuck, because everybody else thinks you're stupid.

Okay, well he had me look at this spot where there was no part, then two days later I went back and there was a part bolted on there which matched 100% with pictures of the left outer tie rod for my model car.

I suppose it's theoretically possible that he bought the part and bolted it on somewhere that it wasn't supposed to be, and the real one is somewhere else, but honestly that seems like a stretch. Even more than a stretch because the spot that this part appeared also happens to be where the tie rod is supposed to be in diagrams.

I guess he could have taken it off, thrown it away, told me it wasn't there, then order and install a new one, but he was a super nice guy who didn't charge me for the alignment, which was as much as the labor on what he did do, so he made 0 profit by doing the work he did over just doing the alignment and it took more time - why lie and rip somebody off for the same money and more work?

Veeky Forums can't handle me driving without a tie rod

>I'm sure the PO put it on the dash or the center console

m8 the mystery has been solved
i spent like 5 hours vacuuming and scrubbing every inch of that interior then drove it around for two weeks, there's no way it was chilling on the dash

it's some mount for the steering column tilt mechanism
Veeky Forums is alright, i guess. not coming back though
thread over bye

>implying
the post

>Veeky Forums can't handle me driving without a tie rod
Dude, something is a miss there because its physically impossible to drive the car without an outer tie rod. Without it, the whole strut assembly would be flopping around with no control what so ever.

I said, the PO probably put it somehwere and it fell into the dash somehow, or they were working on something and somehow left it there.

I could go to the junkyard now and pull that steering column bracket and prove to you that's not it. As I said, it has no evidence of being bolted to anything, a bracket of that thickness doesn't just come unbolted on both ends; where are the bolts?

But either way, no sense in splitting hairs. That part is inconsequential, so carry on...

Yeah it's not a motor mount.

yes clearly its part #11, with the pivot sticking out from the middle.
itt:retards

heres a slighty better pic

Column-diagram guy here. A PO probably used the part as a stop-gap solution. Not that I'm 100% convinced it isn't an OEM part but it also could easily have come from Harbor Freight. The OEM part would have needed to rotate on its pins so it wouldn't have had bolt marks. It may have even had bushings but that doesn't mean OP's part wasn't held on with zip ties. Cheap old cars have plenty of surprises to be found. Likewise, I was wondering if maybe OP confused a control arm with a tie rod but for all we know he might have had a coat hanger tie rod that fell off when his mechanic jacked it up. Anything is possible.

Dude check yourself. Plenty of us drive dirt cheap cars we just try to drive cars with soul meaning we value the experience of ownership, the experience of driving and servicing them. Veeky Forums clearly is looking for something with different priorities like interior space and.. uh "aesthetics" plus your cars are clearly disposable something we'd never think of our babies as.

The opposite one wouldn't need a pivot.

but it clearly has one in the pics

>Thinks exploded diagrams are precisely accurate
>Thinks 25 year old cars don't have nigger-rigged substitute parts in them
If OP described exactly how his tilt doesn't work we could be even more certain but I'm sure he's fucked right back off to talking about math n shit.

No, it's not. It's literally impossible to have negative pressure. There can either be pressure, or no pressure.

low pressure =/= negative pressure

pressure being a negative is literally impossible.

Negative relative pressure. Sometimes engineers shorthand things mentally. I don't anyone that's been through high school thinks that there's negative pressure in outer space.

RELATIVE

> Motor mount that fits in the palm of your hand
> Only 2 mounting points
> Probably hollow
Gee, what gave it away genius?

>>there's no front left tie rod

That mechanic was pretty sharp. Did he change the air in your tires for you while it was up on the lift?

Maybe the
>fell out from above his foot
>mid engine van

Good.
Like we wanted some Veeky Forums basement dweller hanging out here....
We have enough issues with our own basement dwellers.

That video is hot

Gonna share it anyway: youtube.com/watch?v=78InPT4iqlw

Fuck man even Veeky Forums gets laid more than me.

At least I can into mandatory inspection areas on preowned vehicles though.

Nah.