Do manufacturers cover their steering wheels in buttons just to annoy you or is there an actual benefit of it?

Do manufacturers cover their steering wheels in buttons just to annoy you or is there an actual benefit of it?

A few of the buttons make sense, but mostly it's all about
>muh racekar aesthetics

Because why would you need the suspension settings and start engine button on the steering wheel.

This. Eventually they'll find a way to incorporate every button onto it

Are those fucking turn signal BUTTONS?

You don't want them to get in the way of the flappy paddles.

Yup. They are preatty neat. Just press it before you turn, no need to take your hand off the wheel. However I do hate any other button that they stuck there.
The only buttons that should be on the steering wheel should be indicators, volume for radio, horn and cruise control speed adjuster.

But many cars have shift paddles and traditional turn signals.

That horn placement triggers me most

the point is to have controls close to where your hands will likely be when the vehicle is moving.

I don't know how somebody would find this annoying. I mean, unless you lack hand coordination and keep clumsily hitting buttons when you don't mean to, having controls on wheel makes logical sense.

Because they know no one in an M4 uses them anyway so they threw it in an awkward spot behind the paddle.

>This leather work on steering wheel

I don't know, it kinda makes sense
I press the horn with my thumbs if I need to be horny

I guess it's one thing if they're buttons that you can comfortably reach (most of those buttons don't look like they can be). But a fucking knob you have to take your hand off the wheel to move anyway? Might as well be on the center console. And why would the engine start button be on the wheel? You only need to press it once before you even start driving (at which point your hands don't even need to be on the wheel), there's no reason you'd need quick access to it while actually driving.

iPad on the steering wheel when?

I'm a big fan of wheel mounted radio and volume controls though.

>iPad on the steering wheel when?

now

Elon pls

People literally go around the racetracks here with them randomly honking the horn constantly.

most steering wheel controls are well placed, but it depends on the make and model. take my fusion for instance. the steering wheel controls are there but they're all things that are good there

>two directional pads with OK butgtons allow you to change parts of the instrument cluster above (e.g. trip odometer, fuel economy, climate/radio/nav control, etc.) without hands leaving the steering wheel

>left side
>cruise control controls, including adaptive cruise control

>right side
>media and phone call controls, plus mute and voice command button.

now look at OP pic and you get pants on head retarded
>windshield wiper settings
>high beams
>suspension settings
>engine start
>for some reason the horn is built into part of the wheel itself?

worst steering wheel controls in recent memory are the recent chevy impala. round rubber dials in the middle of the steering wheel, hard to press on edges, easy to set off horn while trying to skip a song or resume cruise control. ugh.

This is the ideal steering wheel. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Dear god this is just fucking ugly. Please Ford kill yourself.

I sold my 2004 toyota prius and bought myself a meme-machine manual car and what I miss the most about that hybrid was the auto ac button on the wheel and the up/down temp settings. Also could change the stereo channels/modes.

No fucking around with dials. You could do it with your left hand too. Wish I had that so I could keep my right one free to shift gears.

Since there is no touchscreen, I'm fine with that. Cruise control and volume-radio controls. Does that have a "Source" button? Gotta have that to go through AM-FM-AUX-SAT.

With bluetooth, it's nice to have the phone button to answer and end calls. And if you have an infotainment screen, you need the d-pad thing to get through the menus.

Nah changing source has to be done on the console. It didn't do any bluetooth stuff in the models that wheel is from but I think it does now. And the wheel is uglier now too.

The wiper settings aren't a terrible idea, but the stalk is right behind the wheel so you don't have to take your hands off to reach it anyway. Plus most cars you can just set it to auto and forget about it. And the brights are the same as the wipers- you don't even need to take your hands off to reach them.

Suspension settings are retarded to have there but it is "muh racekar" so they leave them there. How often do those even get changed? Just get rid of the switch and make a menu on the touchscreen to change it so you can use the directional pad that belongs on the wheel to get to that menu and change them.

The start button is also retarded to have there but "muh racekar"

With bluetooth and all the infotainment, I would probably rather have the Ferd wheel. The buttons are worthless if you only have a couple and need to cycle through menus to get at simple operations. I would rather have more buttons than have to stare at the screen in the middle of the car for 2min just to pick a song or call somebody.

If the car has a good voice activated system, that will replace having to use a lot of the buttons anyway if you get used to it. My brother does that in his car, he rarely ever goes through the menus and just yells at the car.

>a fucking knob you have to take your hand off the wheel to move anyway?

You're not familiar with modern racing wheels. Besides, a knob that's 3 inches away from your hand is far more accessible and less divergent from the driver's field of view than one that is on the center console.

The "Start" button still has no reason to be on the wheel besides having a big red button on the wheel to make it look like a racecar.

I'm so used to stalk controls that wheel controls are completely alien

As far as I know, Ferrari is the only manufacturer that does the engine start button on wheel so it's not really a trend and nothing to get your panties in a wad about.

those horn buttons....

If you can't unlock, start, drive, park and refuel your car all from the steering wheel then you have a shit car.

>that horn buttons placement

jesus fucking christ
ferrari owners must be honking randomly all the time
pretty hilarious if you think about it

2bh I'd rather have everything be a simple 2 position flip switch or a knob mounted to the dash away from the steering wheel altogether. I can't tell you how many times i've accidentally the wiper or signals or washer fluid while doing rapid wheel work in a drift or something while on the track.

It's the idiotic idea of having a lot of functions being 'comfortably available'. Like the fucking XBONE with a design assuming that you regularly want to watch the newest GoT while playing CoD and skyping with your mom.

It's a stupid philosophy of more is better.

>2 position flip switch

Wipers? on or off
Lights? on or off
Blinkers? left or right, never off

Want me to go on or you can already see how retarded that would be?

I forget exactly what my car has, but there are a few that are actually nice. There's one for answering calls which I don't use. There's one for volume. There's one for CC. And then there's another one I don't remember.

Obviously you would have a switch for each blinker front and rear, and would just turn them all on for hazards. It's really not that difficult of a concept.

>still thinks having 2 position flip switch for everything is a good idea
You are retarded. Like inbred retarded.

This. I like mine but Ferrari wheels are fucking ridiculous.

They try to emulate pic related, but it's not only annoying but also ridiculous.

Who the fuck wants a road car with all this shit
I'm 99% sure not even their GT3 cars have this much bullshit on the wheel

it's so you don't have to move your hands to activate your turn signal or cruise control while you're racing

>peak performance
>no 10 and 2 grip
>no 9 and 3 grip
>no alcantara
wew

Why in the absolute fuck would you ever need the engine start button on the wheel? Does that really need to be right there easily accessible so that you can quickly turn the car on and off without removing your hands from the wheel?

Tell me why pic related isn't the most based steering wheel of all time.

The horn buttons look like they're in the worst possible position.

>implying perforated leather doesn't look hideous and cheap

That interior looks really familiar...oh right! I own it.

These are placed well and functional.

I do kinda like the chrysler designs with buttons on the back.

>oh noes my econobox looks cheap!

>Challenge Stradales have start button on center console
>458 Challenge moves it up higher on the dash
>tech gets out of 360 Challenge Stradale and into a 458
>presses start button
>wait that's not the start button
>fire extinguishing system goes off
>customers friend tells him that the fire retardant is corrosive
>customer thinks car is ruined
>dealership has to eat a body harness and every module
>guy gets car back
>totals it next track day

It's funny how that dash was made to resemble the C4 dash.
Except it's really a lot nicer overall.
Less cluttered with cheap-ass square buttons, no awful yellow backlighting.

>m4
>tiny shit plastic tier paddles
>he thinks this is good

AYY LMAO

I like their position, just under the thumbs

Pic related is the best steering wheel

I wonder how much one of those steering wheels would go for.

More than you can afford pal

That's the actual racecar wheel mang. That's what they wanted to replicate with the suspension settings and TC and shit on their road cars.

Those steering wheels alone cost more than most cars on the road.

You can do the headlights with on-off switches (pic related). There is a switch for the indicator lights, another for the headlights, another for fog lamps, but the high beams are still turned on with the turn signal stalk.

These KWs normally have a knob on the dash for the wipers and I'm not a fan since you need to take your hand off the wheel to turn it on. Some of the trucks it will be on the left of the steering wheel and other model years it is on right which can be confusing when you drive into a sudden downpour on the highway. Cruise control is also on the dash with 2-way switches but they are less complicated than most cars. There is an on-off switch for the cruise control, and then a second switch for set/resume-cancel.

>That's the actual racecar wheel mang.
Beside the point. People don't want that much shit on their wheel in a road car.

>be toyota
>make "pure drivers car"
>no buttons on the steering wheel
>everyone likes it

>release a refresh
>add buttons on the steering wheel
>make the placements ugly and asymmetrical
>nobody likes it
I just want more OEM buttonless wheels
Why does everyone have to be gay about it

I like buttons because they allow me to not have to look over to my nav/information screen to make adjustments. I can keep my eyes on the road and hands on the steering wheel the entire time.

Nothing wrong with buttons on the wheel
They just have to be well thought out.

You might be right desu.

Where my unnecessarily large steering wheel bois at?

A4 B6 wheer is like a bus.

>drink

RIP: From the 90's decade Pontiac
Before saying it is no good, Remember, cellular phones were huge bricks back then and cars would have that little coil antenna on the back window or roof. They were nearly not portable.

>all these wheels with airbags

a good looking wheel with an airbag doesn't exist

>Where my unnecessarily large steering wheel
In the early days of airbags, the steering wheel plastics were robust and tough. That meant the airbag dispensing area needed to be larger to accommodate the way the airbag would be released. Later on, the surfacing materials were made weaker and more porous for easy and fast tear through. That meant the airbag could come out of a smaller area. Better wheel design and control placement became possible. The compromise was the vinyl was physically weak and could be "cut" by a fingernail rubbing repeatedly at one spot. Harsh or solvent-based cleaners also couldn't be used with those coverings as they would be either artificially aged or softened. But that's where we are today.

>a good looking wheel with an airbag doesn't exist
Then you should get an autonomous driving car when those come out. Some models are planned (by GM) to have no steering wheel and no accelerator. "I wish cars got an ugly steering wheel back, but all cars with wheels and accelerators have insurance rates 25x times higher than autononmous cars."

pretty much

>Putting buttons on the wheel
It's much better to put them around the wheel within fingertip touch.

Why is everyone so autistic about buttons on the steering wheel. I don't have any buttons on mine, but I can imagine them coming in handy if I did.

this looks overwhelming and easy to fuck up. Like what happens if you accidentally throw the start switch off?

>you don't like eating shit? then don't eat anything at all and die

great logic my dude

Cruise control settings on the wheel are quite nice, and an argument can be made for radio controls. But few other steering wheel buttons really make sense - leave every other wheel button to actual race cars.

I'm not of the opinion that any road car should have electronically adjustible settings for things like suspension or engine maps. Wanna change those settings? Git gud at wrenching, fuccboi. But if you must have those settings, then buttons on the dash or center console are adequate. Stalks for signals and wiper functions. Start buttons are fucking stupid period, so there should never be an "engine start" button anywhere near a wheel.

Those are niche as hell though. How many cars have suspension and drivetrain settings on the wheel? A handful of high performance road cars? How many have start buttons on the wheel? Even fewer. The vast majority of steering controls are just radio and cruise control settings.

Perfect, so when you get into an accident and the airbags deploy, the paramedics can play Candy Crush on your face as they wheel you away to the morgue.

Holy shit I didn't even think about airbags
That thing will literally be launched right into your face
Brilliant

>How many cars have suspension and drivetrain settings on the wheel? A handful of high performance road cars?
Yes, like the Ferrari OP posted. My response was directed toward those cars while addressing the tendency for things that first appear on such niche products to trickle down. See paddle shifters.

>Manufacturer that provides oem spare switches

Who do I send my thanks to?

>Like what happens if you accidentally throw the start switch off?

Realistically it's a low probability of that happening.

Have this in my car. It's pretty nice, but I wish it was a little softer like my dad's Fusion. That thing is super comfy.

Looks a hell of a lot better than the rubber abomination that comes standard.

All the truck companies do that.

There are still some regular car companies where lower trim models have extra spots to potentially add switches and they even have extra slots in the fuse box and shit to wire these things up. My Escape has a few little squares where it would be easy enough to add extra switches right under the radio and climate control where the traction control button and aux cord is. I think higher trims have some buttons for the 4wd system, a USB port, and some other shit in those blank spots.

>Horn button under thumbs
Even when turning? If I had this wheel, the horn would be going off more than it did on my old Jeep that shorted out the horn when I hit potholes

You can see some of the empty spots on the Escapes here

>that gauge cluster
>that vent
wow such piece of shit

>my nav/information screen

Or you could just leave them alone until you stop at the next red light. Stuff on the wheel or steering column should be limited to things that you might need RIGHT NOW or crash.

>Three buttons for audio controls
>Three buttons for cruise controls
>Out of the way, not obnoxious, all you really need
And I know some people swear by three-spoke steering wheels but those lack the one-hand space for comfy driving.

>Holy shit I didn't even think about airbags
>That thing will literally be launched right into your face
>Brilliant

It's the same thing with people who put stuff on top of the dash in front of the passenger. The airbag blasts out and shoves the device into the passenger's face.

'CAT/FOLD' ????????//

do you even w201 bro?

>nice looking wheel
>injury or death
And you'd pick the wheel??

It's for the retractable cat skin folding roof. Or MP3's. Can't remember which.

there was this one guy, that was in the lead, 10 seconds away from he finish line, retarded fuck put hand out to wave at public, and pressed the Pitlane Limiter, didn't know what he did and lost the race because the car was suddenly running at only 60km/h. funny shit.

>not having only one spoke for weight saving

>DRINK
>Sends drink to driver's helmet
this can't be real.

Gotta stay hydrated

I ain't down with that sweet stuff. I get more Smiles and salutes then the fuhrer everywhere I drive. Do you Even 02 bro?

It's real. Have you not noticed the tube dangling from the helmet near the mouth area?