Favourite Historical melee Weapons

Can be from any time period

For me, it's the Prussian sabre

Other urls found in this thread:

artofmanliness.com/trunk/687/gorkha-soldier-saves-girl-from-rape-and-takes-on-40-train-robbers-with-only-a-khukuri/
myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17910
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The pen

*tips*

My rapier wit

*tips*

Nice suit of armor you have there friend. It'd be a shame if someone were to electrocute you into unconsciousness and then rape you to death while you cry :^)

I'm a sucker for bludgeoning weapons.

Heh

*whips this out*

Nothing personnel, kid

*pulls trigger*

Nice melee weapon friendo. Since you're pulling a fast one, you won't mind if I bring my pals?

What exactly do you call a Prussian saber?

Two-handed Swiss sabre.

Apparently they were rather large.

Also, the correct spelling is sabre in both American and British English.

I've always liked the mix of the nimble indian boxing style of fighting paired up with this blade. It is said that the blades were made thick so it wouldn't bend. Later they made it so thick that it had armor destroying capabillities.

I'm not memeing I swear

Halberd.

Guns were a mistake.

guns are fucking based you should get a gun and be proficient with it. Very rewarding.

I know, I clutch mine firmly in hand and oil it up when I report in to my cuck shed for some firing practice.

Guns made all these awesome melee weapons obsolete. That's all I was saying.

>Guns made all these awesome melee weapons obsolete. That's all I was saying.

Not entirely, especially the Kukuri, you will never make small blades obsolete, CQB will always remain in combat.

artofmanliness.com/trunk/687/gorkha-soldier-saves-girl-from-rape-and-takes-on-40-train-robbers-with-only-a-khukuri/

All time - Falchion

There are multiple pictures of Katars with flintlocks attached to them. I doubt that these were extremely common, but I'm guessing a good number of people used them like this. Maybe a royalty only thing?

Who /shashka/ here?

What's special about Prussian sabre? It looks to me like your standard compromise light cavalry sabre. Equals which you can find in Austrian, French and British arsenals.

See picture, a British 1821 pattern light cavalry sword.

Here an Austrian antique.

Austrians are the ones who largely introduced sabres to Western Europe. Their Hussars were famous and their Uhlans also adopted by rest of Europe.

rapiers

>Austrians are the ones who largely introduced sabres to Western Europe. Their Hussars were famous and their Uhlans also adopted by rest of Europe.
This triggers the Slav(and the Hungarian).

Have always had an affection for falcatas. Elegant and deadly.

All grey. Sad. Morose. Truly the sabre of someone who would boil every meal he eats.
But fairly polished (and never used), adding insult to injury, exactly like someone who would put whipped cream on top of boiled meat. Have some Mediterranean cuisine, poor fellow.

Hungarians specifically were what I meant by Hussars. As how Central Asians introduced sabres to Eastern Europeans, Hungarian Hussars under Austrian army were the ones that introduced it to Western Europeans.

That's French, right?

Another cool Indian weapon, a bagh nakh in the style of a gauntlet.

>ctrl +f halberd
>1 result

muh nig

The Oprichnik's whip for their main, melee weapon.

>see
>

Roman Gladius

It is.

Pretty near bottle cap opener on the other end.

i love german gothic armor and the pointy longsword (probably type 18 style blade) this is my bullshit

good for lopping limbs with one hand, heads with two!
>get yours today!
>from your local dealer
>rexemperatorauthoriseddealersonlytermsandconditionsmayapply

God damn that's gorgeous. Clipping off limbs left right and centre

ppsh, nothing personal kid...

Its a polearm that also shoots bullets.

The wallace collection swiss sabre blade is 100cm long, with what looks like a 25cm grip, but it weight 1.62kg which is pretty hefty.
myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17910

Just like a lot of weapon of that time, it doesn't look like it was widely used though.

POLEARMS

Halberds

The PPsh 41 and STG 44 are my fav guns of WW2 also the mosin and M1 Garand are pretty sexy.

The key's in the name, their usage was mostly restricted to Switzerland and southern Germany.

Also, shoutouts to all the short, one-handed, curved, broad bladed swords throughout history, worldwide.
There's probably a very good reason why there was an unbroken lineage of them from the medieval period to the cutlasses used on ships when quickly reloadable rifles were rendering melee weaponry obsolete.

It's almost as if Indians had been frightfully opposed to designing usable weaponry.

A lot of these weapons are probably for show. I've only seen one instance of that Gauntlet type bagh-nakh. I just posted that one because it looked cool. Here's a regular one.

And here's a drawing of the event that made this weapon famous, the founder of the Maratha Empire killing an enemy general with one.

Shivaji was such a badass. 10/10 historical waifu

Archery is a very beautiful, aesthetic sport.

A shame that not many historical recreational archery circles exist where I live.

Things made from Damascus steel are really cool; I love the patterns the metal produces.

Swiss sabre is actually a non-historical term for this weapon. Historically this weapon would have been called a "Schnepf" or "Schnepfenschnabel" (Snipe, Snipe's Beak).

Here's a proper oversized bayonet.
I guess you'd better use it as a short sword.

i wish people would stop using the term damascus steel, neither pattern welding nor wootz steel were from there

They're not oversized, the length was the norm for much of the 19th century to the early 1900s.

That's the "joke". At least the japanese had a training for the unmounted bayonet right after their war with Russia, some people could have used that foresight.
The lenght kinda made even more sense for this one since the japanese were one of the few modern countries who still had a serious focus on hand-to-hand and melee weapon combat, even after WW1 and still very alive during WW2.

unironically, japanese swords, specifically zatoichi

sabres and rapiers come shortly after but fail because I prefer simplicity over embellishment

It's called a shikomizue though...
Or shirasaya if it's a typical japanese blade which doesn't have the proper mountings yet.

whatever the fifth one from the left is is mine.

was the first i had in mind

This thing tickles my fancy considerably.

>that hamon line
hnggg

This is a Katzbalger.

I must admit, they do have certain charm

>Katzbalger
Thank you.

big stick or a rock are both pretty good

What if take sharp rock and tie to end of stick? Maybe me am able to hunt bear.

Yeah, from what I understand they were developed in the time guns became widespread, especially during british occupation but then deemed impractical since they're a terrible aim unless upclose and the redundancy of having stabbed someone and then shooting them.

it was the melee weapon of the landsknechts, name literally means "cat skinner"

>this triggers swordfags

The mace is pretty neat for all the cowards hiding in their shiny metal suits.

I wish autists would stop complaining abbot Damascus steel, which is a widely accepted term and perfectly accurate.

>Favourite Historical melee Weapons

Gladius.

why not both? #allweaponsmatter

I like most one-handed Renaissance and modern era swords: rapiers, sideswords, schiavonas, backswords, sabers... One-handed swords with a bit of extra hand-protection, at least compared to a simple cruciform hilt. I tend to find two-handed fighting styles unstylish for som reason. Though the really large two-handed swords (Zweihänder, Nodachi) have a certain appeal, or at least they look cool to pose with.

Uh, you don't get to bring friends

>perfectly accurate
again, it isn't