/rlg/ - Roguelike General

One more splat

>Oook.cz Poschengband Comp
>(Shadow Fairy Swordmaster who starts with a Rune Sword in inventory, yes easy_lore and easy_id are on)
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=197

>DCSS 0.19 Tournament is running until the 20th! Teams are now locked.
dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/

>Nethack annual DevNull tournament is running until the end of November
nethack.devnull.net/

>IA 19.0 beta (9b12edf) Windows - with level-up crash fixed!
www20.zippyshare.com/v/SLn9DYZx/file.html

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

nikheizen.github.io/pages/spellbooks.html#Burglary
code.google.com/archive/p/chengband/wikis
nikheizen.github.io/
github.com/poschengband/poschengband/blob/master/src/samurai.c
github.com/GenericPseudonym/pseudoelliposchengband/commits/5.0.2
archive.org/details/msdos_Rogue_1983
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what is PCB short for?

Penis Combustion Blunder

DCSS tourney is over.
Congrats to M.W.A for stealing an incredibly mediocre 31st place.
Special honours to Lemonizer for actually getting a decent t score, AAAAA for splatting 202 OpWr to finally get a win, Hanibal for audaciously fighting a door vault in Dis:7 while starving and unhasted, and TheAlmightyOne and Josefromcouch for realizing DCSS bores them and not playing much at all!
Let's do our best again next year!
がんばってくたさい/rlg/!!!

[P]olish-Lithuanian [C]ommonwealth [B]ingedrinking

Whats better a +9 Triple/exec/greatmace with no brand or a +0 with damage brand

PozCuminButt. It's what the game is doing to your life while you waste 200 hours of i for that first win.

There's fight simulator in wizard mode, get cracking cause there's a lot to combat

These questions are better answered by just fightsimming it.

if you don't have a brand weapon scroll yet then you're probably at mid to lower level, in which case your lowish skills don't give the weapon a ton of extra damage and +9 accuracy is very nice. fsim to know for sure

Can you accidentally kill your pet in elonaplus, say for example with magic?

yea
but you can pay a bartender to bring them back from the dead

Does that work also in the game mode where you got only one life?

>bards in the orc camp quest
They seem similar to hex mages in that they get a bunch of spells that would be cool if you could actually melee (current damage: 6 per round, a whole 11 if they don't resist cold), but their offensive spells are at least decent for now.

>た
(た)ではなく(だ)ですよ先輩
あと次から漢字を使って頑張って下さいと書いてくれ
平仮名で書くのは許されるのは小学生までだよ先輩
ちんちょんぐ

Is there a list of what samurai skills do in pcb somewhere? Nothing in the old wiki and the game won't tell me shit.

i think you will spend a lot of time meleeing with some crappy music in the background in the mid-late game, although eventually you get a 300ish damage sound ball to blast nerds with.

one of the spells in your fourth book is literally just "haste and heroism, AT THE SAME TIME !!!1!"

it would be okay but not amazing on a hex mage (you probably already have a staff of speed by the time you're killing Null), but it's terrible on a bard because you can only have one song up at once

Guys, I suck dick with Blue Baby and I'm trying to beat Isaac on hard but I can barely get past mom.

I'm sick of resetting twenty times to get one item room and it having a shit item constantly.

Is there a way for me to make it so better items spawn more often, the spawn rate of item rooms in your first room be the same or higher as in normal mode, or at least give me something good to start with that won't disable achievements so I can still unlock things?

>old wiki
literally who?

nikheizen.github.io/pages/spellbooks.html#Burglary

this is not our place, friend

I've been using this
code.google.com/archive/p/chengband/wikis

Thanks for that link!

>so many good games to play
>can't pick one
>do nothing and slowly rot while thinking how good it would feel to play a game

there's some other stuff at nikheizen.github.io/ too

You can also peek in the code, too. Spoilery, but hey, that's what you are asking.
github.com/poschengband/poschengband/blob/master/src/samurai.c

Thank you, I'll take a look. Might be just me but the in-game info is a bit lacking, thanks again!

roll two dice and pick whichever winner sounds more appealing (so you're not tempted to just keep rolling indefinitely)

instead of playing a good game, play crawl

A lot of games dont even generate a brand weapon scroll, and even then you can often end up with stuff thats trash for endgame like poison or draining

It's painful

Yup.

T H R E A T A S S
E S S M E N T

What's the best version of PCB?

Any version with 555 and wands of cloning

Clarifying. I mean what fork.

Not playing it so you don't throw away 200 hours of your life and still get nowhere?

Where do you think you are?

How do you guys play an Ice Elementalist?

Do you go Kiku and branch into Necromancy, or max ozo's armor and be a high EV high AC murder machine, or something else?

I cast throw icicle then get ozo's and melee, conjurations, or ice beasts if the RNG is shit.

Pseudo.
I would shill R, but no one else has been testing it as far as I know, so I don't know if the thing works or not.

Is there documentation on it anywhere? I don't know what it changes.

Sorry, forgot my diacritic user.

Cast Freeze from XL1 until about XL3, pick up the first dagger or short sword or whip or spear you see and begin to hybridize.

If you want to go heavy IE instead of early hybrid, get summon ice beast online and rely on that for a bit. Then hybridize.

What does XL stand for?

you can read the commit log:

github.com/GenericPseudonym/pseudoelliposchengband/commits/5.0.2

It isn't? Now worries. I couldn't find a general for Binding of Isaac and this was the roguelike thread so it seemed like the right place.

Where could I get an answer for this then? I like and want to play this game but I really need to eliminate the frustration portion of it.

Ask /v/. This place isn't for you scum.

fuck off faggot

If you don't want to talk about roguelikes, maybe you shouldn't call yourselves roguelike general then plebs. :^)

could try the indie games thread

there used to be a roguelite general but it died

either of those, or summons

Thanks. That seems like another place that might work.

Just for my future understanding, what exactly do you guys talk about here if games like Binding of Isaac are not included? I tried reading the thread but all the posts are just questions about a single game everyone seems to already know everyone else is playing.

roguelikes, aka autistic alphabet games, aka games that are LIKE ROGUE

they look like

i'm going to play an alchemist right now, becuase the only thing better than 5 simultaneous pcb characters is 6 simultaneous pcb characters

i have to install msvc 2013 though because it doesn't compoile in msvc 2010

eXperience Level

Yeah, I personally didn't have MSVC2013 available on my computer. I think it would be possible to retarget for VC2010 if I installed it, gotta see into it later.

We talk about games that play like archive.org/details/msdos_Rogue_1983 . If you can't make a thread make one on /v/.

yeah you just have to go through the compiler errors and move all the variable declarations to the start of blocks

i can't be assed though

Currently doing angel of masochism on not too rough, and I've got a sniper mod I don't know what to do with. I'm building a vampire beserker, so this isn't entirely critical. Should I build my supershotty into plasmatic, or my assault shotty that's in my offhand? Or something else?

200 hours is fine. The orb of yendor is the my only god.

>early hybrid
not this meme again

learn to build a character before giving advice, early hybridization only makes you bad at everything. there's a good reason why skalds are one of the most unsuccessful backgrounds

skald is a bad background because their spells are pure melee support

IE lets you invest in pure magic and blast shit with freeze or whatever until you have icebeasts and ozo's up and THEN start doing melee

skald you have to do your shitty worse-than-Fi melee from level 1

IE is a rare case of where it works cause of Ozo's, ice beasts, throw icicle and freeze ignoring ac combined with fighting, dodge and randart floor drops.

Skald's mostly bad because you need a good species, drops, or you have to skill well with impeccable threat assessment.

>IE lets you invest in pure magic and blast shit with freeze or whatever until you have icebeasts and ozo's up and THEN start doing melee
at that point your hybridization is far from being *early*

Is ice beast ozo's melee by lair early?

yeah trying to invest heavily in melee with only freeze up is kind of dumb cause you have no synergy at all

but as soon as you have icebeasts picking up a spear and poking things from behind your meatshields* becomes a lot better

(*not actually made of meat)

lair is not early, you've essentially built yourself a pure mage up until that point and you're ready to kill yaks with your ice beasts and icicle.

>early hybridization only makes you bad at everything
The experience required to level skills in DCSS increases by a *huge* amount with each additional skill level. The result of this is that hybridization in DCSS is incredibly effective, so long as you hybridize into things that require low levels of skills to come online.

As mentioned in the post you quoted, putting 2 to 6 skill levels into things like short blades, M&F, or polearms, can be hugely effective during earlygame after finding a relevant 1.1 basedelay weapon because those weapons have massive accuracy modifiers.

tl;dr: I know a little bit about Crawl and hybridization is wildly effective.

The nice thing about Freeze is that it ignores AC and always hits. This means you can rely on it to kill everything until your whip or short sword is online.

"hybridization" between dodging and fighting skill isn't what we're talking about here captain obvious. although the amount of exp required to level skills grows exponentially, in the case of magic schools the *value* you get out of skilling magic also grows exponentially.

while the amount of HP you get from getting 2 levels of fighting is the same no matter if you're going from 4 to 6 or 25 to 27, the same can't be said about magic, which "unlocks" new spells

there's also the problem of armour class, if you've invested in magic you have a vested interest in staying light armoured, and going melee would have anti synergy or however you want to call it.

tl;dr you're a retard spouting level 1 "advice" not realizing this is a level 4 conversation.

You seem awfully angry for someone who doesn't understand the advice being given.

you're awfully angry for how little argument your post contains, at least i dilute my rage with reason.

the advice is bad, early hybridization, unless you're using a different definition of "early" than mine, is stupid.

yes but then you just have freeze and shortsword

both of those do the same thing, so it's a waste to have both

compare to ozo or icebeast + melee, where you can actually benefit from spell skills AND melee skills at the same time

If your weapon is actually good early game (additive brand or high enchantment), you don't need any levels for it to be effective.

If it's a +0 short sword, it's not going to be useful on anything dangerous, so why spend exp on it?

But muh glaive....

It kills the shit out of people who are inexperienced at the game

You're fine up to scale mail/mid weight dragon armors for spellcasters

>both of those do the same thing, so it's a waste to have both
Not true! Having some weaponskill lets you immediately use the first branded foo you find, and it shifts your character's offense requisite off of the MP bar sooner rather than later. This is a Good Thing, especially so once you realize that the experience you would be sinking into your magic skills can now move to earlier Fighting instead, while you kill with things you've found on the ground.

It also crosstrains your whatever slightly later, but that's less important.

>If your weapon is actually good early game
Unbranded +0 daggers, short swords, whips, and spears are all good early game. Finding a venom or elec brand will let you use them until Lair:6 or so, but they are good enough to carry a character until D:7 or so completely unenchanted. The trick is in the accuracy bonus.

so you invest AFTER finding a good branded foo, instead of spending xp on shortblades and finding yourself a spear of elec

>you invest AFTER finding a good branded foo
No, you invest in your shortsword for about 2-4 skill levels when you find one on D:1, then you invest in your elec spear for another 6 levels or so after you have survived long enough to find it on D:5. The experience is cheap.

this is fucking haram
4 skill short blades isn't worth it, sb are already faster than 1

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>sb are already faster than 1
opinion discarded

Uh only qb are faster than 10 aut with 0 skill my good lad. Dagger is 10, shortsword is 11, rapier is 12.

arena levels, not even once

i was talking about daggers and when i said faster than i meant exactly at

whatever you fucking kikes

daily reminder that tic-tac-toe is a roguelike
>permadeath (die and you have to start over from the beginning)
>procedurally generated (your opponent (whether human or AI) uses some kind of procedure to develop the landscape around you as you play)
>turn based
>top-down grid based
>non-modal (much more so than shitty roguelites with menus and overworlds, like PCB or DCSS)
Also before anyone claims "b-b-but there's more than one character/tile that represents the player!":
1) Single tile players is not a high value factor.
2) Previously played positions are essentially part of the terrain. Putting your opponent in a terrain disadvantage can help you defeat him and move on to the next dungeon. Technically you're only moving your player character one spot at a time, and you have no control over the previous characters in the grid.

Don't blame others for your inability to express yourself my good dude. You can do better. I believe in you.

>high value factor
Get this berlinshitter outta here.

yes but does it have elves

berlin isn't a real country, berliners aren't human beings, and the berlin interpretation is not a roguelike

You do fighting for that not skill. As you advance you knock 0.1's off the delay but it's pulled by your fighting skill and the enchantment of whatever branded thing you dig up

Daggers are too terrible to be worth shit without a proc brand and even then it's still shit compared to just getting a decent base you nigger loving kikester. You find plenty of branded whips and flails.

Where to start with Mystery Dungeon games? I really hate Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (mainly due to the pokemon mechanics) but I remember years ago enjoying the old Shiren the Wanderer game on the DS. Other than that one, what's a good jumping off point?

But I dump 10 Charms and 5 Necro by Lair 1 when I find a Regeneration book as an Octopode and I pretty much always get 15 runers with it

TEN(TEN) FUCKING CHARMS
GET
THE
HECK
OUT

>H*CK
please watch ur language

Trying to get into Cataclysm... The game is awesome

Thanks, /s4s/-kun.

hey you need to run the ctrl-a S command in wizmode to regenerate the help files.

currently alchemist isn't in the class list in there

Check the nintendo ds general or whatever it's called. I think we only have 2 guys that played shiren and no mystery dungeon cause the general is all depressed poorfag neets and menial wageslaves

Bit shit, but what I managed to get. Had to work a lot more than I expected but I probably wouldn't have gotten a win anyway.

So now that the tournament is over, how did everybody do?

Ignoring anyone with

You don't want your attacks to be occurring at 10 auts if you can avoid it. You want there to be a little bit of stagger between your attackdelay and monster attackdelay so you can naturally gain backstep spacing from mismatched swing timers. Yes, you can aut manipulate in other ways, but gaining backsteps naturally while fighting is really fucking useful.

There's also the fact that taking those 1.1 weapons down to 0.9 or 0.8 boosts their damage output by roughly 30% depending if you want to push 4 levels or 6. At low XL, a 30% damage boost is huge, although less important than the fact that by investing such you can pump more Fighting for *additional* accuracy over the already-huge accuracy on those 1.1 weapons.

tl;dr: Skill this way and you can kill adders, shieldgnolls, and bees.

What's this?