Help me Veeky Forums, I have an unhealthy desire for Kei cars

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_X3vPNZZrCo
car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=52499
usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1993-Honda-Beat-Mini-Kei-Car-660cc-Convertible-White-Cheap-4990_28389025
goo-net-exchange.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Me too

>1700 lbs
>65 hp
>turbo
>most of all, FMR (engine behind front axle, rwd)
Why did USDM get the shitty metro (swift) instead of the Cappuccino?

Same, Would kill for a clean Suzuki Cappuccino

az1 > honda city tubro II > rest

I love the Beat.
>MR layout
>factory ITBs
>8500 rpm redline, 5.7 final drive

Because no normalfag Chad would buy one. It may perform well but it's small so it's gay.

even better, it redlined at 8500 but the limiter didnt kick in til 9300

I thought America hated small cars
or at the very least has a road system that is hard on high reeving engines and thin body panels

Sad that even in Yurop they are madly expensive. They can cost even up to 11k$. That's why my guilty pleasure is Daihatsu Cuore. up to 50 mpg and can fit in parking spot sideways.

I was looking around and a clean one with

If you are looking for a small car with a low fuel consuption, keep the peugeot 107/citroen C1 and toyota aygo in mind.
Alle 3 are basicly the same car with the same daihatsu/toyota 3-cylinder 1l N.A. engine (1KR-FE).
Fuel consumption is about 4-5 litres per 100km in reality or about 50-60 mpg.
Vmax is 175km/h in the 4th gear.
They are if they have under 100.000 km between 2000€ and 3000€, if the bongistandollars didn´t drop to much it should be a good car for you.

are the puegot and the citroen both rwd? I'm asking not because duriftu, but weight distribution.

Nope, all front weel drives, but some freak actualy kept it directly behind a porsche 911 at the Nürburgring Nordschleife in the corner section.

witness us

Impressive. I suppose in the FF layout those two would have less efficiency loss meaning higher MPG, but I don't know if the weight distribution disparity would make it as fun to drive as one of the Caps

inside of the cities it can be unforgiving, because America hates roundabouts and flow of traffic and dams it up with excessive stoplights, stop signs, etc.

Country roads are where the USDM kei cars excel. Again, they fall off when taken out to highway and interstate. But for light traffic and windy road driving, they are the most engaging and enjoyable driver mobiles ever. Thanks to the weight and size they are hyper responsive to input and offer unrivaled control over your vehicle, compared to normal econoboxes like civics, camry, etc.

>metro
>shitty

Take that back!

Should I hold my breath?

to expand, it's not a car for comfy road cruising like a buick land barge, but if you want to balance your driving experience on the tip of a needle and be able to control your ride down to the inch, all on a light budget, kei cars are for you.

Biggest downside is lack of space.

I'm sorry metro user, but the Cap is simply better than the metro

I own a 107, driving feels a bit like a gokart, espicially over 150km/h.
I have not yet driven it on a track, but I will do it next spring/summer.
weight distribution is 62/38

in 2013 I remember seeing a cappuccino for sale in sheffield for 2000 GBP, would have bought it if I could import it at the time

the Cap manages an even 50/50 with 200-300lbs in the front. Makes cornering extremely smooth.

bad weight distribution is my biggest gripe with FF. If only there was a way to fix it, asides from drifting skid kid antics, there would be no real reason to buy rwd.

Fuck no. Import one if you aren't an amerifat, otherwise pray that Toyota releases the S-FR.

>le angri catfish

The 107 has 4 seats and you can actualy transport stuff in it, also it is fucking cheap and needs verry little fuel.
Maintainance is also verry cheap and doesn´t have a rust problem, except for the exaust wich costs 20€ to replace.
Also it´s fucking cheap, good ones under 100.000km start at 2k€.

youtube.com/watch?v=_X3vPNZZrCo

Would rather the Miata/Fiata

Best

I'm going to import one of these in the next few years when they become legal

satan has spoken

107 isn't an option for me sadly, at least not for another decade at least, because I am american.

Well that's just the hypothetical "look at the ricing potential" model, it looks less angry stock.

This car was in production since 2005, how many years do you have to wait until you can import one?

>hates roundabouts and flow of traffic and dams it up with excessive stopights, stop signs, etc.
sounds a bit like Palmerston North and some parts of Auckland
Wellington is a little better in places

I get motion sickness on journeys much longer than three hours if the weather is too hot
it only takes 5 to 7 hours to travel most of the length of the north island but I rather take a train for that most times

>Country roads
out side of the few highways there are allot of them around here
they are smooth for the most part but more often than not too narrow should a car come the other way
or at the very least disconcerting

I'm glad I'm not the only one lusting after Beat's and Cappuccino's I want one so bad fuuuuuuuuuck

>Once they become legal
Oh god I can see people trying to LS or 13b swap a sport key car in murica when they become legal

>2025
American laws are great

is there still a chicken tax ?

>13b swap
This would be fine
>PS
This would not be

At least you don´t need to pay as much for fuel as we do here, wich is the one reason I got this little fuelsaver.
Actually you cant actualy beat a Prius in fuel economy if you want, some people drive these under 3l/100km or over 78mpg.

>13b in a kai car is fine
That is not just fine, its awsome.

guess what thats never coming out any time soon either. especially not in the west.

>under 1500 lbs

it'd be 2030 actually. 25 year minimum. Canada can get them in 2020.

Would it be able to take it?
people are swapping hayabusa engines on them right now and they already become awesome, imagine a 13B with a big turbo on it, you wouldnt be able to put all that power down without breaking the wheels
The capp would become a baby first gen Viper, and that is fuckin awesome

It's next year. I'm hype as fuck

I shit you not I was just thinking of swapping a hayabusa into a swift chassis and my biggest worry was 1) lack of traction control and 2) torque steer into the next atmospheric layer

It's been done. I just want to put a 13B in the back of an AZ-1 though

Why City over Today?

You can buy a Cappuccino for under 2K at auction in Japan with about $1500 import fees. I'd say it's worth that much.

>pic related is the top model with leather etc, they can go for cheaper if you want manual windows etc

If I didn't have my Miata I would probably import one of those.

It's been done. Greddy vi-az1, a 20B swapped AZ-1 by Re Amemiya

It's legal now my nigga. They're stupid expensive though, like 12k in Japan.

Until 2030 lol, and by then any car that isn't self driving will be b&

American import law requires any imported car to go through fuck tons of crash tests and shit like a company would, so like 5 cars imported, 4 of which to destroy

If it's over 25 years old there are no restrictions though

Nah

not wurf sadly.

There's been talk among the anons in twingo threads of setting up something to import twingos next year, 25 yrs will be up. Might do something similar if this cesspit is still around in a decade :^)

The 13b REW non turbo has verry low torque and doesn´t have torque peaks, so the power comes quite linear with the rpms.
This means you can controll it verry easy, if you need more controll and less power you just rev it lower.

The Wankel has pretty much a torque plateo from ~4000-8000 rpm, so it will be more controllable then a hayabusa engine with a little more spiky torque curve.

difference would be the dorito gives you less MPGees, maybe like 15mpg compared to 20-30 with the hayabusa. Dunno exactly how much the car frame would reduce the hayabusa's fuel efficiency so I'm just spitballing.

At this point it is pretty much a race car, also the RX-8, wich usese the same Engine, got about 23, while beeing a bigger car.
Also Wankel =I= daily driver

was for

They are also pretty shitty cars. It's not without reason that the Twingo is memed so hard in here, there is more space in the boot and in the back seats of the Twingo than in the 107/C1/Aygo. The trio is also pretty fragile compared to older small cars, no horror stories but things that rattle apart here and there often enough to become annoying. The interior is also third-world tier in terms of materials and layouts, something you didn't percieve as much in older econoboxes.

Granted, they are cheap af to buy and run, and the 3 cyl in them sounds eager and peppy but it is really underpowered for the weight of the car.

The engines don´t make any troubble, and they arn´t underpowered since the power to weight ratio is ok.
The only fragile thing on the whole car is the exaust sytem, wich is vulnerable to rust but extremely cheap to replace.
The intertior is pretty basic, no fancy LCD-screens, no fancy bord computer and a mechanic A/C adjusment.
If you flip the rear seats you can fit quite some stuff in it, if you also flip the front seats back and put a matress in you can sleep in it.
Vmax (gps average on 1km) is 175km/h.
To get the power out of the Engine you obviously need to rev a little higher, maximum power is at 6000 rpm.
the Twingo aint better, espicially the Twingo is much slower

t. 107 owner whos dad had a Twingo

around £6k here, hmm
car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=52499

man, I really want a suzuki alto works. with any luck, maybe I'll import one next year

I drive a fucking '13 Spark. You have no clue how many small children I would strangle by hand consecutively to have something like that instead.

>my face every time I push the pedal and the car takes an entire 0.75 to respond yet costs nothing to run, insure or fuel

I want the S660 to get an S1000 release here in the states already, I'd drop everything for it

>kei car with Gullwing doors
>engine from a RX-7
>suspension from a Porsche 962
>brakes from a Ferrari F50
>mfw

Shame only 1 example exists. I'd love to know how fast this thing would be around tracks/on the touge/the highway/whatever. That combination just sounds too much fun to not be driven hard.

usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1993-Honda-Beat-Mini-Kei-Car-660cc-Convertible-White-Cheap-4990_28389025

hmmmm

it also depends on where you live. most kei cars arent registerable in the USA. because of their size they usually get pointed and laughed at by most americans.

but if you live in europe or aus/nz you can have them because of lower import tariffs because tiny engine and weigh fuck all.

So you have to present the car you want to import to a panel of people, and if they laugh then you can't import it?
USA has some strange laws.

>caring what others think

Why would they not be registerable after 25 years?

baump

Get a 106 instead then. Only 1 or 2 more years.

Best Interior
Would be cooler to own a Clio Williams

Funny thing is that it passes safty tests, though fear of low sales with target demographic and past sales of i3 cars in the states are keeping them from us unless we convince the head of honda america otherwise.

In Poorland we had Daewoo Tico, which is clearly Suzuki Alto 3rd gen. It wasn't sold in rest of Europe, because it was so bad in crashtests, just because of deal of our country with DW they were selling it.
>half of the country were driving rebadged kei-car in early 2000's
>tfw

Website?

>Japanese auction
>ask about a website

How have you manage to not kill yourself with a fork?

Every Americans dream of a 130hp sportcar

goo-net-exchange.com/
Dream on

its got specs like a d17a2 civic, i don't get the hype because its going to be around 23K if brought over. s660 if brought over counting shipping and currency rates would make it almost at the civic coupes price. 0-60 at 12s-11s is about the same as some older(90s) baseline econo sedans.