Kings and Dictators

I want examples of times where a respected King or Dictator died and his kid turns out to be a total asshat who ruins everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolesław_II_the_Bold
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Władysław_I_Herman
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Easy one.

I only know about this guy from Gladiator. What was the real story? I'm assuming his son didn't actually have a roman general sold into slavery.

basically the whole history of Spain

>Dio Cassius, a first-hand witness, describes him as "not naturally wicked but, on the contrary, as guileless as any man that ever lived. His great simplicity, however, together with his cowardice, made him the slave of his companions, and it was through them that he at first, out of ignorance, missed the better life and then was led on into lustful and cruel habits, which soon became second nature."[16]

>His recorded actions do tend to show a rejection of his father’s policies, his father’s advisers, and especially his father’s austere lifestyle, and an alienation from the surviving members of his family. It seems likely that he was brought up in an atmosphere of Stoic asceticism, which he rejected entirely upon his accession to sole rule. After repeated attempts on Commodus' life, Roman citizens were often killed for making him angry. One such notable event was the attempted extermination of the house of the Quinctilii. Condianus and Maximus were executed on the pretext that, while they were not implicated in any plots, their wealth and talent would make them unhappy with the current state of affairs.[17]

>Commodus also had a passion for gladiatorial combat, which he took so far as to take to the arena himself, dressed as a gladiator. The Romans found Commodus' naked gladiatorial combats to be scandalous and disgraceful.[21]

>For each appearance in the arena, he charged the city of Rome a million sesterces, straining the Roman economy.

>Commodus raised the ire of many military officials in Rome for his Hercules persona in the arena. Often, wounded soldiers and amputees would be placed in the arena for Commodus to slay with a sword. Citizens of Rome missing their feet through accident or illness were taken to the arena, where they were tethered together for Commodus to club to death while pretending they were giants.[24] These acts may have contributed to his assassination.

Wilhelm the 1st

>Often, wounded soldiers and amputees would be placed in the arena for Commodus to slay with a sword. Citizens of Rome missing their feet through accident or illness were taken to the arena, where they were tethered together for Commodus to club to death while pretending they were giants.

So he literally grabbed random wounded veterans and disabled people off the streets so he could murder them in front of thousands of people?

Make Rome Great Again!

See the entire Plantagenet dynasty of England. based Kings like Henry II, and Edward III were succeed by their moronic children. Edward III almost broke with tradition by having Edward the Black Prince, but he upp'd and died before his daddy.

How the fuck do he even get a way with killing wounded veterans? Isn't that incredibly disrespectful? I thought Romans had an Americans tier respect for vets?

Henry V and Henry VI

Not an asshat. Just a completely incompetent ruler that inherited a kingdom and half of France while he was still a baby

He's an emperor so he's allowed to do pretty much anything including murder wounded soldiers for fun. However, it did still piss people off and it may be why he was assassinated, as the praetorian guard probably had a very negative view on all this.

My guess urbanized rome was a frenzy of soulcrushing misery every day to the point where street violence and public bloodsports were cheered on by the hardened and dulleyed plebs screaming in cathartic panic and exhileration.

He didn't get away with it he got killed.

Dis is the price of bread and circuses :DDDDD.

>Isn't that incredibly disrespectful?

That cracked me up.

>>How the fuck do he even get a way with killing wounded veterans?
He didn't.

He was assassinated.

His son Wilhelm fucked everything up

>People who get off on watching other people get killed are totally going to be upset by watching other people get killed

Every good Byzantine Emperor

You fucking mong that's Otto Von Bismark

Not quite the same thing, but close.

Wilhelm I sired Fredrick, who was the father of Wilhelm II. Wilhelm II fucked everything up. Though Fredrick was only Emperor for 99 days.

He didn't have any kids because he was a cock connoisseur.

Fuck off, I wish bush was still president.

its a pretty big rarity i think where any affectual king actually inherets a stable and decent situation, and most dictators form off popular consent and one off economic surplusses usually through exploitation war or otherwise death

Alexander III?

He was no Peter the Great, but Nicholas didn't really do much wrong for the time and being in russia.

He should have convinced the Whites, who were holding the Imperial family, to let them exile in England.

I thought it was the Bolsheviks who held his family? Didn't they kill the imperial family because they could be used as a rallying symbol for the Whites?

the Whites initially held the Romanovs after Nicholas abdicated. they moved them around a couple palaces then eventually a town in the urals. Then the reds took power and took over their imprisonment, moving them to a militant red compound. Then the whites started rallying and the reds executed them romanovs.

Old Ollie Cromwell.

Know you put it like that he sounds pretty rude

>Fuck off, I wish bush was still president.

That's fine it just means you're stupid.

>I thought Romans had an Americans tier respect for vets?

Biggest group of homeless people in Murrica are war vets.

There are so many veterans charities it seems hard to believe that is possible.

IIRC was also so in rome at points

Look it up then

Justinian I's successor Justin II lost large parts of Syria and Italy,undoing what Justinian had done.

No, it's single mothers, with a disturbingly large portion of them also being junkies.

A disturbingly large portion of American mothers are junkies, single and/or homeless. What's the number of babies born dependent to heroin now, 100k a year or something like that?

Hezekiah's son Manasseh brought idolatry and chaos back to Judea

god, was ever anyone more of a fuck up than Wilhelm II. My favorite story of him was how enthusiastic he was about the Nazis taking power and sent Hitler a letter asking if he could be king again, Hitler just ignored him.

>The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) states that the nation’s homeless veterans are predominantly male, with roughly 9% being female. The majority are single; live in urban areas; and suffer from mental illness, alcohol and/or substance abuse, or co-occurring disorders. About 11% of the adult homeless population are veterans.

only 11% bub

>My favorite story of him was how enthusiastic he was about the Nazis taking power and sent Hitler a letter asking if he could be king again, Hitler just ignored him.

That's......I'm not sure what that is.

Frederick III wasn't a bad emperor, he just died after a couple months in power.

FW II was his nephew

Louis XIV

Philip IV and Charles II of Spain. Endogamy ruined the Hagsburg dynasty.

Richard (?) Cromwell comes to mind.

>being this fucking retarded
Wilhelm I wasn't Wilhelm IIs father.

Wilhelm II didn't ask to be reinstated as Kaiser. He asked Hitler to reinstate his son as Kaiser.

Pick up a book you fucking idiots

Cyrus and his son Cambyses and Bardiya.

Respected even by those he conquered, and then *both* sons turned out to be total asshats who would've ruined everything were it not for based Darius.

>order you troops to fire on protestors
>"wtf why are they all rebelling against me?"

I'll admit, it was more of his father who caused Russia to go to shit. He undid all the reforms and progress of Alexander II. But really, Nicholas did nothing.

Wasn't XV his great grandson?

There was no way Rome could have held on to them anyway, the monetary cost to reconquer and defend them was too high, and their manpower and taxbase was devastated by a plague.

Vespasian, one of the great Roman Emperors, and his two retarded sons.

>this
>heroic warrior king Henry V
>kiddo gets put on throne before being removed by relative, thus leading to the Wars of the Roses

>as guileless as any man that ever lived. His great simplicity, however, together with his cowardice, made him the slave of his companions, and it was through them that he at first, out of ignorance, missed the better life and then was led on into lustful and cruel habits, which soon became second nature.

>Tfw you see parts of yourself in historical figures and their flaws.
And not in that smug bullshit "Look at me I'm so much like this super awesome guy" but the more humane and blemish flaws. I saw in both the historical Guy De Lusigian and another ruler I'm blanking on the habit of being a pushover who listens and agrees to the last person to speak/argue with them.

But at least Guy de Lusigian was a trophy husband who was handsome as fuck going for him, I'm certainly an uggo.

He wasn't enthusiastic. There was a good deal of Prussian disdain and contempt for the rabble rousing Nazis prior to being more eagerly brought along once the Nazis cemented power and had their initial successful forays.

Selim II following Suleiman as another example

>believing the senate's anti-Domitian propaganda

This

Hongzhi was a beloved emperor who earned the respect and admiration of his court.

But his son Zhengde was hated by the vast majority of Confucian scholar-bureaucrats.

His sons(Caracalla and Geta) ruined the empire. Caracalla probably has the biggest effect towards the downfall of Rome. He started paying the legions exorbant amounts of money that the treasury couldnt afford. And when future emperors tried to decrease the pay, the legions rebelled because they had gotten used to that amount. So no emperor could decrease the wages. Bankrupting the empire

Poland:
Bolesław II The Bold/The Generous
>Strengthened Poland
>Ensured alliance with Hungary and Kiev by aiding right people
>Independent from >HRE
>Started minting own coin in Poland
>Allied with Pope against >H >R >Emperor
Then magnates rebelled and installed his brother, Władysław Herman
>Appeasing >HRE even when he were a Duke under the rule of his brother
>Controlled by his vassal, Count Palatine Sieciech Topor
>Never tried to get crowned as a King, because his politics were that much submissive to >HRE
>Accepted Overlordship of HRE over Poland and didn't objected when they declared King of Bohemia, his brother-in-law, as King of Poland
>Disregarded alliance with Hungary and instead decided to join German Emperor in anti-papal camp
>Had (or more likely by orders of Sieciech) his brother's son (who was supposed to be first in succession after he was forced by nobles to bring him back form Hungary) assassinated
>His son proceeded to divide the kingdom between his sons, causing it to be divided in a similar way to what happened with Grand Duchy of Kiev
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolesław_II_the_Bold
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Władysław_I_Herman
Also, when Sieciech wanted to undermine Władysław's sons' power, he actually supported him against his sons.

Just because Romans were entertained by blood sports doesn't mean they didn't give a shit who participated in them. Gladiators were either criminals, slaves, or volunteers.

It's like saying "Boxing fans like watching fights so why would they be upset that the president took a disabled war vet, tied him up and punched him half to death?"

To be fair, Septimius basically kicked the can down the road anyway. And he basically suggested his sons to do what they did (though they didn't take the first part of the advice, clearly). "Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men."

Henry

King John.

The last two kings before him were Richard Lionheart, and his father Henry II.

And he fucked up everything.

lionheart sucked

Did Lionheart pretty much fail?

Lionheart was the greatest military king England had. His life was cut short too soon, but most historians agree that if he had more time, he would have been a great king. Just sucks he spent most of his time crusading, or taking back territory in France.

Half of which which are corrupt, a fourth run by the government (so possibly round that up to 75%) the other fourth ineffective because psychiatric/medical/therapeutic help is unavailable/ "attended to by the VA" (LOLOLOL).

Fail at what?

He didn't conquer the holy land.