AMA: Hello Veeky Forums im a window tinter at my dads window tint shop (its just me and him) ask me anything

AMA: Hello Veeky Forums im a window tinter at my dads window tint shop (its just me and him) ask me anything.

Are you a window tinter?

window tint not from the factory is gay and those fags with tinted windows should kill themselves

>hurr durr thing i dont like is gay and for fags
What's middle school like these days?

Yes I am and also i handle all of the customers also

what tint does your personal car have?

Eh we're in Texas and the heat over here is horrible so a lot of people tend to get it

I drive a single cab Silverado and I just have the legal limit on the two doors (35%) and 20% on the back window, I could go darker bc I just take it off and put it back on when I have to go get inspection but eh I just leave it how it is

do you like the look of tints, or do you just do it for comfort in the car?

Do you feel pity for people cucked by state laws that don't allow any tint in the front?

Miata convertible plastic rear window - is it possible to tint? What would I need to do

Why does factory tint always look better

Why would you want to tint your front windows anyway? Why would you voluntarily reduce your ability to see through the ones you need to look through to drive?

No troll, just genuinely curious. It's not legal to tint beyond 75% in the UK on the front side windows and it seems quite obvious why but we can do whatever on the back and rear doors.

lol yea, every time a person comes to the shop that came from the northern states they always have like 75% tint which is practically clear. Sucks

What tint would you recommend if I want something that cuts down on heat/UV rays in the cabin without looking dark?

I live in Texas and I have a 4 door F150. I want the darkest tint I can legally get in Texas on all windows, what percents do I get?

35% in the front 2 and 5% on the back 2 and the back window

ceramic tint around 50%

Thanks. How much would that run me?

its actually not that big of a bother, tint looks a lot darker looking from the outside in bc of the interior and no light source from the inside. But looking from the inside out its a lot lighter

the only one that it does get kind of iffy at night is limo tint (5%) i wouldn't recommend it on the front windows

Is it difficult to apply tint on your own or do you recommend a shop

i like the look especially on a black car, and also the comfort is nice the sun is less annoying

also we tint businesses and houses and they all say that they save around 40% on their energy bills

definitely a shop, tinting is beyond one of the most frustrating things to do because so many things can go wrong.

Heck even my dad that has 30 years of experience still fucks up a window once in a while and needs to redo a window

you guys can tint over vinyl stickers right?

we charge $120 (our prices are very low compared to other shops around us) but thats us bc my dad says that its a very reasonable price and other shops cant compete with our prices and quality.

if they charge you 200+ theyre fucking you over
but thats how much other shops charge

we can but it can cause problems later on like bubbling around the sticker

Factory tint is practically smoked glass so it cant be fucked up like film tint.
By "fucked up" i mean Bubbling, breaks, discoloration and light slits (that are caused by not cutting the tint to the measure of the window )

Op here im 18 btw

My mustang has a vinyl horse logo thats tinted over and it doesn't have any bubbling problems

Have you ever had a neck tan from sitting in the back of a veloster.

I live in scorching Louisiana, I have a new Silverado. How dark should my front windows be. My rears are perfect the way it is.

yea usually nothing happens but it can happen ive seen cars come to the shop with the tint messed up bc of stickers underneath the tint

but it just depends idk tint is weird, it dosent stick very well to anything thats not glass, thats why tint looks white around the little black dots in the back window bc those dots are metal

i see i see, so its just very hit and miss

check the laws, from what i remember Louisiana has a really light legal limit :/

yup pretty much, also depends on the quality of the tint.

How long has your dad owned this place?
How is business?

how much would you charge for installing 40% 3m crystalline on a 17 golf

fugg, that sucks

That's pretty cheap. What part of Texas are you in? I see a lot of shops that offer $99 for window tint but I don't trust them.

How easy/hard is it to remove tint on your own?

Woops didn't mean to reply

we've moved shops a couple times because we wanted to upgrade our shop

my dad started tinting at honda dealership

Then he moved to a Nissan dealership and became the manager of the aftermarket sector there.
Nissan changed management and the new boss demoted my dad so his friend can be the manager. (dick bag boss)

Dad got mad and quit, and started tinting at our house in our garage ( shit was tough man we were really poor at that time).

Dad's friend had a wearhouse that he didnt use and offered us if we wanted to rent it for a very good price. (fucking savior)
Our business boomed and we were making very good money and my dad's friend saw that we were making alot of money and basically kicked us out bc he wanted to start his own tinting business( asshole, his business didnt last kek)

We didnt care we got a better shop and we already started to be known around the area, a Kia delaership offered us a contract to do their cars and soon after that we got a GMC dealship and a Buick dealership so we get a steady cashflow from them.

Then after we got a really nice shop which is the one that were in rn. which is 3 years and business is great the only problem is during the winter not that many people get tint but since we do dealerships cars we still get income.

Tl;dr - Dads been tinting for 30 years, 20 of them in dealerships and 10 in his own business
we've been in the current shop for 3 years
Business is greatttt .

Houston

We dont use 3m bc that shit is expensive and we use solar control and weve never had problems with their film

but i really cant tell you how much, if i were you just call and ask places around you or you can buy the film and ask a shop to instal it for you

Man fuck that boss and your dads asshole friend. Good to hear that you guys are doing great.

I actually live near Houston on the outskirts on the SW. I want to ask the shops name so I can go in the future but I understand since this is Veeky Forums.

um depends, if the tint is already purple good fucking luck bc that shit is soooo annoying to take off

but if the tint isnt purple it isnt too bad but still tedious

damn yea i dont feel comfortable putting it out there sorry :/

Any advice on this, pal?

fuck sorry i forgot to reply. but i honestly dont think film can stick to the plastic so you probbaly going to have to fet one thats already tinted if they do that.
sorry if that didnt help :/

No one cares man

Can you get me a good deal?

Otherwise fuck off.

yea

im just saying if anyone wants to ask questions about customers

Is suntek carbon any good or always 3m?

never used any of those brands but all of the tint now is preatty good now as long as it isnt like walmart brand or something like that.

accordidng to my dad 3m used to be the shit back in the day bc they were the only quality tint around but now theres companies that have the same quality but cheaper. 3m just sells the name

We've all worked jobs that requires meeting people. Fuck off.

What is your favorite cut off beef?

What car is the hardest to tint? Or are they all the same?

German cars fuck themmmmmm

the fucking window gaskets are tight as fuck

also the new mustangs because the back has 0 room to put the back window

Rib Eye medium rare

Some guy charged me 20$extra for having to take off my old window tint, was that a ruse? Have i been played? Also, do you goys still do the 5 inch tint bar on top of the windscreen that covers the sun

oh no thats actually a good deal bc taking off old tint is a real bitch, its probably the most annoying part of the job because if you dont get all of the glue off after, it fucks up the tint that youre trying to apply.

yea we do that, its called an eyebrow, we charge 20$ its always an easy sell

You're alright in my book

OP im looking for something to protect my interior during the summer heat while and have darker windows

what do 3M or what

bet c:

I used to work in a bodyshop/slash everything. Am I correct in remembering you spray the windows down with something and apply the tint wet? Can the same process be used for vinyl or is the glue different

eh 3m is good but theres plenty of other tint thats as good but at a cheaper price.

But if you want to get 3m go ahead its good

yea we use just a simple mix of water and dish soap (joy lemon i think) to apply the tint so there can be some lubrication between the window and film so we can move it around.

and when we do vinyl we use the same solution and spray the spot on the car with it then take the water out with our tools