I just had my winter tires installed and I told the guy at the shop to put my previous season pretty much new Kumhos in...

I just had my winter tires installed and I told the guy at the shop to put my previous season pretty much new Kumhos in the front and some old shit tier garbage tires bought by the previous owner in the rear. Did I fuck up? Am I in for unsuspected hektik skidz? Can I survive the winter? Hold me Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/shouldnt-the-new-tires-go-on-the-front/article621608/
tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=52
activegreenross.com/completetireandautocentreblog/replacing-two-new-tires-do-they-go-in-front-or-back/
popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3121/6-common-tire-myths-debunked-10031440/
souzastireservice.com/tires-101/front-or-rear.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=HdSf0KJie_E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ya you're going to do some sliding.

Always put the best tires in the back regardless of fwd/rwd. It will stop you from fishtailing

What the fuck, what about steering you mong

half right.

It will stop you from fishtailing.

However, in a FWD car, putting worse cars under the traction wheels will lead to more situations of understeer, as your front wheels lose traction and your rear wheels "grip" and follow them through the nearest guard rail into a ditch.
To further add, because the front wheels are doing all the work in FWD, they will wear faster. Meaning if you put already worn tires in the front.... You see where I'm going.

OP, if you're too poor to buy 4 new tires at the same time, put the new tires on your drive wheels (front in fwd, back in rwd), and drive like a grandma, because you are a danger to everyone on the road.

>putting worse cars
putting worse tires fuck I'm going to sleep.

Yeah that's what I'll do. I had that setup last year but I forgot how it's supposed to be and messed it up. I drive a RWD car

no

new tires go on the rear axle regardless

Any info to back up your counter claim friend

That`s what the road safety memesters say.

I think its bullshit for a FWD though. I`d rather get some hektik skidz than slide into oncoming traffic because I can`t fucking steer.

>google: tires front back

>results

theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/shouldnt-the-new-tires-go-on-the-front/article621608/

tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

activegreenross.com/completetireandautocentreblog/replacing-two-new-tires-do-they-go-in-front-or-back/

popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3121/6-common-tire-myths-debunked-10031440/

souzastireservice.com/tires-101/front-or-rear.aspx

You only bought TWO winter tires?

What the hell

Where do you live, what kind of winters do you get and what tires did you put on? If they're Kumhos I'll guess that they are I'Zen KW27's, 22's or 31's

I would recommend winter tires on all four wheels. You're creating a damned huge imbalance between the grip at front and rear

I had winter tires bought by the previous owner and I'm poor. So now I have 4 winter tires but 2 (in the rear) are old like maybe 3-4 seasons and 2 (in the front) are one year old. I'm going to swap them tomorrow.
I live and Poland, the winters aren't that bad (maybe like 3-4 weeks in total of snow usually) and I was fine last winter except I understeered into a field on black ice after pressing the brakes while turning at 40kmh. I really can't afford 2 more tires so I'll stick with these. I'll just put the new ones in the rear like I had it last year

it is entirely bullshit concocted by people who somehow cannot fathom that new tires will make your car grip more. Literally anyone who has ever even smelled a car knows that the handling changes as the tires wear and new tires can be a significant difference from bald all-weathers. Anyone who doesn't understand this frankly should not be driving.

For intelligent drivers however, new tires on the front provide the most control and grip -- in a FWD this is important because you can turn more while braking or accelerating without inducing understeer...at least until the tires wear down again. This will make the car more prone to oversteer, but not ridiculously so. In actual thick snow you will probably get sideways at unreasonably high speed, but smoothly apply throttle and you'll be fine.

For winter tires, you'd want to put them on your drive wheels regardless, so if you put them on the front for a FWD car, you're good.

Best tires on the front. Its where all your steering and braking is. Lots of good nice new tires on the rear will do when your front wheels lock up in light braking and you find yourself going straight instead of turning.

Either way, the only way you win when it comes to winter tires is to have all 4 in the same condition. IMO if you HAD to have only 2 good ones, they should be on the front.

>if you HAD to have only 2 good ones, they should be on the front.

If you only have 2 good tires, you shouldn't be on the road.

Yeah, but this is what they teach to most tire places.

youtube.com/watch?v=HdSf0KJie_E

>oh no, my ass is slipping, gotta slow down....OH SHI-

This is an industry standard because 99% of drivers on the road don't know what the term "oversteer" is, let alone how to correct it. Couple that with how cars are designed to be safest in a head-on collision, and are already designed to understeer at the limit in all situations, and you get a tire-placement standard to go with it.

I always put the better tires in front because fishtailing isn't a problem for me. Being unable to steer is.

>being in the position where you can choose between either fishtailing or not being able to steer

You should NEVER be in this position. Always have good tires in the front AND back or else you could end up damaging other people's property perhaps even kill someone.

Best winter tires money can buy on the front, bald summers on the back and AWD is a recipe for the most exciting winter of your life.

That shit can happen even with the most expensive racekar branded racekar approved racekar tires made for snow rallying.

>mismatching tires
>on an AWD car

good luck with that, you gonna need it

No body listen to this guy he only knows half of what he's talking about.

+ 4 internets to you for winning the thread.

Otherwise, >best pair on rear axle

itt super smart anons who have more knowledge combined than tire manufacturers and automotive engineers

Have you ever tried doing that in a FWD in winter? You literally have to be trail braking with the e-brake on every turn so you don't understeer.

Shitty tires are good on the back of a FWD in winter, they start to slide slightly before you start to understeer.

>implying the tire manufacturers or engineers care where you put the tires

Insurance companies spread this crap through media.
It makes it easier to write cars off if you go into a tree head-first and the most valuable part of the car is destroyed.

Seriously how does it make sense to replace the worn tires on your fronts with worn tires from the rear (which, if properly rotated, should have been on the front at some point already and thus already heavily worn) and then use BRAND NEW TIRES to roll a DEAD AXLE?!

If anything, for safety and car control the new tires should always be on the driven wheels in any car (AWD need to know torque bias or flip a coin lel), so that in any situation, you have the ability to move and stop the car, even in the potential failure of other components.

In snow or ice and a fwd car, would it not be completely pointless to have bald tires on the front and brand new winter tires on the rear? You wouldn't be able to turn or get up hills. The entire traction advantage of the FWD platform is lost because somebody thought they'd be "safe".

learn to drive sideways or burn your license

If good tires go in the back then what is the point of tire rotation?

It's for people that doesn't know of tire rotation or too lazy to do so

>your tires are the only part of your vehicle making contact with the road
Butch doesn't even know my car is slammed n stanced. Hellaflush Yo.