/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Mastershit hate edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25405.msg296494#msg296494
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for elven boipucci

second for DELET THE OP

Third for plumps

recently just discovered what adamantite really is lol
whenever you think you have df under control some shit like that happens and thats why I love the game so much

what did he mean by this?

What happens when the developer dies?

Hes not in the best shape and he's nearing 40. What if he dies? Brither takes over? Can the community even handle the sheer spaghetti Code? Do we just deal with what we have now?

•¨•¨• •¨•¨• •¨•¨•
•¨•¨• •¨•¨• •¨•¨•
•¨•¨• •¨•¨• •¨•¨•
•¨•¨• •¨•¨• •¨•¨•

>This image
Stop post

if toady dies the code will be released

>hating on nines

>if toady dies the code will be released
Unless he is proven to be murdered, he said so
He knows what kind of people play his game

Is it possible to make an entirely self sufficient fort and just let it run indefinitely?

No, it will either become so big that it will die overpopulate or lag out

Or it will become fatigued by larger and larger sieges until it falls apart

No fort no matter how mathematically perfect will die

Either by lag
By siege
Or by random (which isn't Actually random but we dont understand this game beyond the surface level because toady is a cunt.)

It's always been possible by abusing farm plots, but the fruit picking introduced in 0.40 made it even easier.

If he dies the code gets released and only one team of shitters do anything with it and they fuck it up and take longer to release updates than Toady and then it dies and version 1.0 has less features than it did in 2006

What are the key features were missing?

this.

the notion that the community would "save" from an incompetent toady is utterly retarded. only toady can finish DF. the community would just add ponies and vore mechanics.

Why all that fears? Different roguelikes change developers over time, and still exist and make ok updates.
I think df will be fine. But i think toad will be fine too at least 15 more years - people can live incredibly unhealthy, and still survive for reasonable amount of years.

>Why all that fears? Different roguelikes change developers over time, and still exist and make ok updates.
you mean like Bloataclysm?

That game is a mess now, uhg I can't even bring myself to enjoy if anymore. Just play adventure mode now

>fortress mode left to rot
Thanks Toady.

honestly figures and shapes don't look like your strong suit, I have liked your art with a heavier focus on the landscape and background more so I would try to fo

>he said so
Source?

What if I built a giant glorious wall that would make Trump jealous?

Once you hit 100 dwarves the world will crash Everytime you launch even on 1x1s

are you joking? in the next version, we'll be able to send militia squads off the map to complete missions on other sites.

we'll have armies which arrive at our doorstep demanding artifacts, and we can choose whether to give them the artifact or get attacked.

we'll also be able to build museums with items on display.

>overpopulation
Population cap. The default popcap is easily sustainable.

>lag
Popcap again, and stopping unnecessary expansion and production.

>sieges
Walls.

>telling a regular drawfag to stop posting

but DF is not a roguelike. it's a fantasy world simulator created exactly to one man's vision.

> we'll have armies which arrive at our doorstep demanding artifacts, and we can choose whether to give them the artifact or get attacked.
Dont sound like a great option. Yes, everyone will try to give artifact once, just of curiosity, but there is no benefit to do so.
Sieges are fun and profitable, if you dont want them - you already can raise the bridge, they do not arrive before 80 citize, and you cant make necro/megabiest siege to go away with artifact i guess.
Just no reason to lose precious platinum bucket or fb bone crutch which you can display in your dining hall.
And what are you, an elf, to avoid the fight?
The only positive thing - maybe elves and humans will come too to demand an artifact, and you can war them without repeatedly attacking caravans.

the game could use more attacks, invasions are slow as heck right now, and often underwhelming
still, I can imagine giving them the artifact might be worth it if you have a breach in your defenses right now, or if they come early on
It's not like you can do much with that wombat leather spiked ball anyway

>a way of interacting with hostile civs OTHER than just beating back one siege after another?
>what r u, an ELF?
players who want DF to be a braindead tower defense game are literally holding the game back. if you just want another base building game where you can randomly get attacked by random shit until you die, there's rimworld. please don't try to hold Toady's creative mind back.

what killed my dude? i'm confused

Where is his corpse? kinda looks like he dodged off a ledge and fell 100 z levels

it's in one of the hallways. i couldn't see what was up due to all the smoke from the fire. but fire doesn't blow someone apart, does it?

nevermind that, the corpse i looked at wasn't his. you're right, he dodged into a well and fell 40 z levels. thanks for clearing that up.

Kek, classic. Out of curiosity, whats the fb like?

should have trained some marksdorfs

freaky lookin thing i'd imagine

welp, time for my last effort to somehow kill this thing. nobody seems to be able to even touch it and all 2 of my marksdwarves are already dead.

for my new fort - after this one inevitably crumbles - i'd like to try out masterwork and a new tileset. i don't want ASCII stuff, but i'd like something simplistic. recommendations please

◊Î◊Î◊◊Î◊Î◊◊Î◊Î◊
◊Î◊Î◊◊Î◊Î◊◊Î◊Î◊
◊Î◊Î◊◊Î◊Î◊◊Î◊Î◊
◊Î◊Î◊◊Î◊Î◊◊Î◊Î◊
◊Î◊Î◊◊Î◊Î◊◊Î◊Î◊

Now I know why I fear the night.

this is disturbing

not the guy who criticised him but

That really is one of my faves. All his best works are the moody ones with landscapes and brushwork. Not that his other stuff is worse, obvs.
Nines, keep it up.

Gemset is simple and scales up nicely. I've fallen in love with taffer recently, but my tileset progression went Phoebus/Ironhand > Spacefox > Gemset > CLA > Taffer

This is excellent

>Captcha: Except quern

D:

Who would win in a fight, Ninedoots or Timbukdreugh?

It was on the dwarfmoot, I think
Guy pulled an usb from his necklace and said that all his info was there, and that if he was killed, he wouldnt make the game source-free

I think so, anyway, I might be wrong

Sten

relax brah, he is only talking about getting more action during play, not focusing the whole game on battling, those are different things

jesus

How do you guys think Toady will make the game more atmosferic in the future?
DF has a lot of potential to be 2spooky4u in certain situations, but I cant think of anything past music

didn't that fucker get kicked so hard by smelly ant feet that fell into the lava and died?

Actually, the release that added night creatures (I've forgotten which one) was considered pretty spooky when it was first released. Much of the personal tragedies and the extreme body horror introduced was unheard of in the earlier versions. It made the game more dbleak, horrifying, dark and edgy.

He dodged into lava in the new arena. Sten beat Smelly the first time using the wrong weapon.

Sten was cheated so hedgehog fags would finally stop whining.

If Big Dick Sten were in front of you you wouldnt say those words again >:(

Reminder that Coldsteel lost in less than 5 hits and that boring fight is the only reason Sten fought Smelly Ant Feet.

Only the fetishists remember it like that.

I mean, pic related prooves how spooky and horrid will the game be able to become, but I get you, as of now, specially adventure mode, the game is pretty unclimatic

yeah? hust try 'n stop me.

Reminder that Sten beat SAF without weapon skill, using the wrong weapon.

proving once and for all lava bridge is a terrible final destination arena. It literally falls down to who dodges off the edge first.

Is there a way to make gemset look good and be usable on 1366*768 monitor? Installed it and everything became huge, i can see only small area. If scale everything looks like shit.

We had this conversation two or three threads ago. He said if his house burned down the project could continue. The asker specified that in this hypothetical fire everyone was fine, even scamps. He didn't say anything about what would happen if he died or was murdered.
This meme is a lot older than dwarfmoot and no one has been able to provide a source for it, they just keep confidently repeating what someone else said that Toady said. It's just a meme.

Old hell was a lot more frightening and hardcore than anything that came with the night creature release, with the possible exception of the implied night troll rape.

Aww, they managed it, the little rascals :)

Ive been playing for three years and cant break away from commie blocks and large workshop/stockpile rooms. What are some things I can do to change things up and keep it interesting.

embark somewhere with exposed veins of ore, set mining designation to automining ore/gems and only mine out those veins.

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25405.msg296494#msg296494

>No killing for the source!

holy shit, theres an auto mine ores option? why am I just now finding out about this

I think it'd be fun if occasionally in adventure mode you'd wake up and find a vampire sucking your blood.

because you didn't actually play for 3 years you dirty liar.

Anyway the best answer is always to roleplay.

Thanks. I've been asking people to source that for at least 7 years and the closest I've ever gotten was "I think he said it an interview once".

I have though. I just never thought about there being an automine feature. In fact I dont even know where it is unless I skipped over it in the orders screen. In the past if I needed an entire vein mined I kept redesignating until it was all gone. That got tedious so I stopped doing it.

open up your designation menu and read the damn ui

although you might to select mining before it shows up. The option is down the bottom in blue.

hey guys

beards are gay xD

'no'

shit, no wonder I kept missing it. I only look down there to change priority when I need to. Thanks.

>isn't dressed to the nines
Shitfag get the fuck out.

>go there to chat
not a single living creature to be found
Godamnit.

avenge them

Did you explore all of the cave?

don't even know who killed them.

checked every level and a bit of the caverns underneath (didn't want to get lost). Picked elf so I could smell things easily and there was no odor at any point.

if I didnt have legends viewer open for reference I'd swear it's not even the right cave. There's no sign of kobolds at all, none of the stolen items are here and theres no bodies or anything at all.

>decided to start out a Masterwork Human civ for the first time
>start out at a tributary with a shitload of trees
>everything moves fast as shit
>enclose the keep with a southern moat, walls, and bridges
>get this far

What should I be doing next?

uninstalling masterwork

Toady is quite literally the only one capable of doing this game justice. It's his game, and it's been manufactured to his creative vision. It would take another genius on par with Toady (yes Toady is a literal genius) to be able to do the same work that Toady has done.

Go ahead and think of any other game that has had this much work put into it by a single person. DF is literally one of a kind, and it's because of the genius and drive of a single man.

A whole team of developers couldn't hope to do what Toady has done with this masterpiece of a game, nor could they do his vision justice.

Well done.

>paz
>not posting best girl

Have you been to bay12? It's full of autistic programmers, some of which are nearly as dedicated as the dude himself when it comes to Dwarven Science. If the source code was released we'd get a Toady 2.0 in short order, after most of the 800 forks that would be launched overnight died out.

Paz is like perfect for all the pedophiles to jerk too because she's of age but looks and acts 10

>df 2817
>toady 19 finally releases the update
>giant keas can now dig
>they aim for adamantine veins

Post your most interesting combat log screen caps so I can jerk off.

any particular combat situation do it for you?

As long as it's quirky, strange, hmmmmmm worthy, or interesting dump multiple if possible, I love reading people's battles.

not quite the same thing but I've been battle some rando human hammerman for the past hour now. All I've got is a shitty copper longsword that can't get through his shield + all bronze/iron armour. Can't wrestle his shit off him until he literally passes out because twiggy elf limbs with average strength.

I mean there was a literal fuck ton of logs from the tournament, especially from the BR.

Only had the picture saved secondhand so I could fingerheart people.

How about hardcore elf-on-elf penetration?