/rlg/ - Roguelike General

DCSS 0.19 Tournament is over! Congratulations to team /rlg/ for an impressive 31st place!
dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/

>Oook.cz Poschengband Comp
>(Shadow Fairy Swordmaster who starts with a Rune Sword in inventory, yes easy_lore and easy_id are on)
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=197

>Nethack annual DevNull tournament is running until the end of November
nethack.devnull.net/

>IA 19.0 beta (9b12edf) Windows - with level-up crash fixed!
www20.zippyshare.com/v/SLn9DYZx/file.html

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Dracunos/gnollcrawl
crateandbarrel.com/fido-3-liter-jar-with-clamp-lid/s495134
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ohayou gozaimasu, /rlg/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's play our best today!

Reply to this awoo, or your character will splat on the ascent today.

>hidden enemies that magically silence you and then sneak attack
well fuck boys

apparently they're fast too
i was trying to take daggers out of my backpack to throw at it while it was 3 squares away and i died in the inventory screen

i should have just accepted that my dorf blaster master was gonna have to ignore it instead of trying to fight it

joke's on you, my character will splat no matter what I do

forgot img
(game is incursion btw)

i actually think that it just took me a longass time to pull my daggers out of my backpack

the big problem that almost every game with this whole variable-turn-cost system has is that there are no good indicators for how much time things actually take
crawl handles it just fine but games like incursion or that masseffectrl do a really shit job of communicating how long actions take.

>on the ascent

Oh baby looks like I got a good game ahead of me!

>Reply to this awoo, or your character will splat on the ascent today
Don't get carried away, monster!

relic wraiths when? fucking release it ferret

one fish
two fish
red fish
awoo fish

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as electrocution brand is in fact, gnoll/electrocution brand, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, gnoll plus electrocution brand. Electrocution brand is not an enemy type unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning gnoll enemy made useful by the gnoll’s strong arms, shaman buffs and meat chunks comprising a full enemy type as defined by the devil’s team.
Many crawlers splat to a modified version of the gnoll every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of gnoll which is widely splatted to today is often called “electrocution brand”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the gnoll system, developed by the devs. There really is an electrocution brand, and these people are splatting to it, but it is just a part of the enemy that kills them.
Electrocution brand is part of the weapon: the enhancement in the weapon type that modifies the attacks that you take with your 4 AC. The weapon brand is an essential part of a pre-lair splat, but useless by itself; it can only kill you in the context of a complete enemy. Electrocution brands are normally used in combination with the gnoll enemy type: the whole system is basically gnoll with electrocution brand added, or gnoll/electrocution brand. All the so-called “electrocution brands” that people splat to are really distributions of gnoll/electrocution brand.

I sure hope you're playing gnollcrawl
github.com/Dracunos/gnollcrawl

>Get power armor in cata
>Can't use it because takes2muchstamina
well at least i can put it in the corner of my base and pretend im cool now

Medieval knights had horses to carry their heavy armored asses.
You have bicycles.

>109 unique posters last thread

Have roguelikes become too popular? Are we on the verge of a genre golden age, or is this merely the latest flatulation in a boom and bust cycle? Will roguelite fags ever get the picture?

Join us tonight as we investigate this reborn genre and its implications for the future.

I've been trying to play more varied roguelikes but I'm still a scrub.

there will probably never be another major roguelike. expect small ones to pop up every once in a while, that's it

first time i've actually changed alignment i think

i guess my other neutral wizards didn't spend enough time murdering random neutral creatures

Cargo spaces

A thicc space of tools with a couple spare for an inevitably abandoned cart.
Library of books. Now that you can read to NPC's to skill them up it's worth keeping the lowers too.

You need your heavy armor for when you expect to be taking high caliber hits.
Your summer clothes
Winter clothes
Wool/fur reinforced and ups thermal electric gear for ice labs
Your midrange armor you're wearing
Your midrange armor with a better ratio of storage
Survivor duffelsx2, duffelsx2 and your other storage
Whatever holsters/pouches/harnesses you're not using with your loadout at the moment

Some sets of armor and weapons for NPC's if you're recruiting any.

Gun for each caliber at least with overlap for training with .22/9mm. Multiple SMG's, assault rifles, and shotguns for swapping to endure through a fight. pneumatic bolt rifle, assault rifle, reflex recurve, and a sling. You might have less if you decide to pull apart and redo your ammo in better calibers.
Couple shotguns, assault rifles, smg's, and explosives adjacent to your driving seat for support
Couple melee weapons
All your ammo, mags, explosives, and gun mods as far away from you as is safe in case a fuel tank goes up and they cook off

Couple floor trunks for normal speed movement and a fair bit of loose containers both collapsible sealed stomachs/waterskins/canteens to hold small quantities but also a lot of jugs, jerrycans and a couple steel jerry's for moving shit around and otherwise doing shit. especially important for moving your shit out of glass
Couple stow boards of charcoal for charcoal stuff
floor trunk with your uninstalled CBM
Stow board of pine boughs
Stow board(s) of traps
Stow board of skewers, plastic bags, cans, ropes, paper wrappers, cash cards, cig/joint butts, and other small shit with your copper tubing for redoing ammo
Some floor trunks of dry goods like flour, preserved/jarred/canned foods and your buckwheat/dandelion cache
Booze and drink cache for those 20 morale drinks

it probably only takes that much stamina when it isn't actually powered

You'll get the other parts and the interface. Once you can power it it's pretty reasonable and it's extremely reasonable in the face of shit with AP and you have memory banks backed skill.

Floor trunk of meds nearby

An ass ton of lumps, chunks. and scrap metal so you can replace broken shit via forge crafting and other crafts like tanks. Especially important if you get badly busted up and need to repair a lot while out in a field. Have a good couple dozen spikes to replace your crumple zone as needed.
Big fat stack of plastic and electronics parts for crafts, containers, ups mods, repairs/enhancements. Especially heating elements and power converters.
Thick pile of rags and leather
Accumulation of chitin, kevlar, nomex, neoprene, fur that's hard to get a lot of quickly. Especially for fur which is devoured by the reinforcement process.
Trunk with a bunch of spare tires because they're a pain to track down, some spare batteries, controls, a foldable electric loot bike, bunch of sheet metal and other loose components for repairing your own fixing up a beater or fixing up or constructing a new loot vehicle to do shit with
Some cargo spaces to throw on said loot bike
Couple large tanks for crafts, brewing, refilling
Fit your small shit in wherever like nails, thread, and other stackables.

Tank of clean water with a faucet by your seat for easy quaffing.
Tank of Dandelion/pine tea with a faucet by the bed or your seat if you sleep there for keeping your health up
Some tanks for craft goods like cooking oil, vinegar, vodka, bleach, ammonia, acid, clean water, water
Bunch of tanks of saltwater for crafts, preservation, and fur
At least 2 funneled water tanks to keep your supply up
Couple gas and diesel tanks not on any obstructing tile and nothing larger than a 60L tank because if that shit goes off you are done unless you live in firegear and have the cbms to regenrate and cope.

I've got a good base in cata but I'm too afraid to go into town is it viable to wait for survivors/zombies to come to me so i can kill them and take their shit or no?

Random NPCs are the most dangerous when they come to you as you're asleep.

I've dug tons of pits and laid tons of nailboards. Is that not good enough?

Craft armor and a weapon and you can skim the edges of town pulling them from their max aggro range in reasonable amounts. Get grenades early and often to deal with an NPC. If it has a gun you need to grenade it without talking to it at all costs. Yo ucan rebind wooden javelins or whatever to t and throw your max range to train throwing so you're somewhat accurate.

Board up the windows and obscure the door with bookcases

THERE'S NO .EXE WHAT ON EARTH DO I DO

Install gentoo
Then just
./configure && make

FUCK SHAFTS

HOW OD I INTOLL GNEOT

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

>compiling the abomination that is Crawl

good luck, friendo

oh shit new trunk

TIME FOR CONTENT

>CONTENT

What is best weapon for FoFi, Triple Sword, Great Mace, or Lajatang?

>>compiling the abomination that is Crawl
>good luck, friendo
I compiled it a couple weeks ago and it literally was just
>make prefix=/usr/local
>make install prefix=/usr/local
I don't know what you're talking about user.

Great sword. Lajatang has no place on a FoFi, you want actual good weapons, not low skill weapons. Long blades are currently completely busted with how riposte rapes everything, to the point no other weapon type is worth using.

exec axe

ripose wont proc a lot with your massive SH

It still procs a lot, and besides if you block then you're not getting damaged, and you will get damaged. Exec axe has no place in a 3 rune game.

>decide to git gud at DCSS in time for the tournament
>ascend everything, get burned out, decide to take break
>come back to /rlg/ today
>tournament is over

guess there's always next year

lmfao reetard

Can anyone else run the latest build of Infra Arcana? Intro level works well enough, but that's it. Immediate crash in D1.

just play it online at project357

>Pick miner
>Climb out after some trouble
>Encounter a chicken walker
>Loot a gun off a nearby corpse and shoot it up
>Caught up in the explosion
>Both arms broken
>199 Pain
>Grab a pack of cigarettes off a corpse and smoke up

What the fuck do I do?

Nothing particularly interesting happened during the tournament anyway except for the usual dumb 3 rune wingrinding and that HOMo^Beogh omega pro. You didn't miss much

Construct splints as soon as possible and then hope the RNG loves you.
Limb healing is RNG.

bump

Evil is the worst alignment; the best gods (not counting Asherath) are at minimum Neutral Good.

By the way, pick up the first level of Mage; if you didn't start as a Mage, you get Mage Armor and Shield to start off; both of which are incredibly useful spells. Shield totally prevents you from taking damage (it stacks, so four or so casts later, you're invincible for most purposes), and Mage Armor greatly reduces the damage Shield doesn't prevent, especially if you're going for a meme-build with huge Luck and little else.
Protip: low Luck is incredibly bad; no-loot forever and stupidly OoD enemies to boot. High Luck is incredibly good; 1000+ gold (or its equivalent worth in other coins) and magical loot regularly appear before you've finished the first floor.

Werewolves of London!

i've mostly been chain-splatting mages of different flavors. most successful so far was a dwarf evoker spamming empowered/maximized scorcher and regenerating all the fatigue he spent on metamagicking it

i didn't know shield could stack multiple times though

one of the stat rolls i got this time was 18 luck so i'm gonna go roll a 22-luck halfling now

So I memed up the world gen parameters in CDDA the best I could and this is what happened

>Get in bed
>Cover myself in my 10000 covers
>Lay on my 6321 pillows
>Bed catches on fire

update: died to a trap hitting me for 2/3rds of my maxhp

>31 glass jars of fruit jam

it's 3l

>wondering why there hasn't been any zombies for a while

You want to keep the time-critical items in your belt, on your shoulders, stuff like that. Could probably have gotten away with a !dimdoor there.

It's a pillow fort.

>Golubria's secret FORTRESS
>No FORMICIDS allowed!

i mean I didn't actually realize that i was in danger

i went to take a dagger out of my bag and the guy got 3 turns to walk up close and punch me in the face

i had expeditious retreat even so i could have just walked away

I just saw someone with 1895 MuFi games and 0(zero) wins.
What the hell is this obsession!?

Is this a bug or just extremely rare?

>Centaur with spear
Hot damn, all that free exp on D1, you're a lucky guy.

I was more so talking about the ogre....

>486%

out of depth spawn, you're just extremely lucky/unlucky

RNG has been fickle today. Last run I got a rod of clouds on D2 which was nice for crowd control. But then I opened an ominous door on D10. Right at the door was snorg, further back a guardian mummy, and Harold. Harold netted me while snorg beat on me. He then blinked behind and used another net. I died in 3 or 4 turns.

>play troll zerker
>auto your way to d9
>play orc warrior
>easily to d9
>play human anything
>oneshotted by a dart slug
>die to adder
>die if fighting more than a couple enemies
Will humans get good at some point or are they just shit?

3 Liter jar sadly. crateandbarrel.com/fido-3-liter-jar-with-clamp-lid/s495134

Humans will get good at exactly the same rate that you git gud.

humans are bad bec. ur bad LOL

well you get your mutation at level 30
or you could just go for demigod for the sweet perks, two muts, and the guaranteed drop

i'm pretty sure a SNOTLING berserker could tab down through stronghold 15 in one go

oh yeah absolutely

>no chocolate milk

0/10, shit fridge. Would not even bust for spare parts

gib

Don't tell Chris, anybody. I'm riding this gravy train all the way to 25.

you're going down and coming back up the stairs to refill its health?

>Stop, you brute!
>That was rather dishonorable.
>How unfair!
>You are straying from the path of sacrifice.
>You feel less knowledgeable.
>That shows a complete lack of faith on your part.
>That was not very enlightening.
>You are not very mystical.
>Perhaps you are too cautious?
>You feel out of touch with natural world.
>Your actions are disharmonious.
>That was rather lethargic.
>You are straying from the path of unlife.
>How impatient!
>Gluttony is very unbecoming.
>How lazy!
>You dastardly villain!
>You are straying from the path of individualism.

He made a game mode that gives like a lot more xp and drops

The world is my stairway, user. The world!

This game doesn't know anything. Strayed from the path of diligence my ass!

Fucking ninja ogres.

That'll do, Mr. Juggernaut of Khorne. I'll put you out of my misery.

nice device score scrub
bet you don't even stun

>str 3
Wizard probably can't even pick up his books.

I was down to -10 speed my last trip down to Stronghold from just basic loot. I can carry 45 lbs of gear before being weighed down. 9 lbs of those are books, 15 are scrolls and potions.

is there any particular reason why people talk shit about crawl here? because in spite of that, it seems to be one of the main roguelikes that people play or talk about (always in the OP). is it just the whole "everybody plays it so now we're gonna jump off the hype train" or has the game actually gotten worse over time?

is this sorcerer aiming for metamorphosis then?

We'll see, more than likely I won't even make it to 35. One unresisted breath/archvile and I'm toast.

It has definitely changed over time; it has lost many of its "Nethackish" features in the name of "streamlining" the game. In short, anything that can reliably produce a normally limited-use effect, such as Haste, Flight, or Teleport has been removed. Anything that is "too powerful", or ostensibly encourages "optimal play" has been nerfed significantly or removed. Anything that's too mainstream-fantasy has been removed and replaced by obscure analogs (with a twist!) for little other reason than "the devs are hipsters who like gimmicks." The desired goal is a game where the player is concerned only with combat; "interesting choices", tactical positioning, build-strategy, and so on.

Some, the devs namely, feel these are good changes; parts of /rlg/ disagree.

You hardly ever see anyone playing the old versions, primarily because that complaint is full of shit.

memes

underrated

It's very accessible and it has more variety to create "funny" situations to talk about. There's leagues of difference between oh wow guys look at this cute little Ijyb wearing Maxwell's patent armor and an @ bullying a g with bumps

Lost content people loved but gained QoL and new brokenly OP features. It's a sickening poison. Plus if you're so burned out to stick to older versions you're probably not going to be playing often. It's not like people care when I post screens while in .16 either.

and so ends my most successful run in Cata.
Goodbye, Urist Puncherson. You will be remembered

what do you mean by optimal play? as in builds that can consistently do well? isn't it good that those things were removed, for the sake of diversity? or is it just limiting player choice at that point?

I'm glad we agree that they don't play any more because they are burned out.

Why would anyone care about some more crawl screens?

What even did you in?