A new 3.0l i-6 is coming to the new Mercedes S-Class

A new 3.0l i-6 is coming to the new Mercedes S-Class.

No belt/pully system. Just a 15kW motor attached to the crank which charges a 48v system which an electric condenser, water pump, and other systems use instead of being directly driven by the engine.

Also has a hybrid electric turbocharger that will spin up off idle in 0.3s so there's virtually no turbo lag.

The electric motor will fill in some power at certain throttle load levels to keep the engine at more efficient load for better economy, or add 20hp when you floor it.

>tfw exactly this is exactly system I wish Mazda would use on the next RX

Other urls found in this thread:

motortrend.com/news/500-club-mercedes-benz-expands-its-new-500cccylinder-engine-family/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sounds good.

That's awesome I knew the i6 would stick around

>Sounds like there are a lot of new parts that can and will break
I need this

>add 20hp when you floor it.
wow

Honda's mild hybrid system lives on...Because this is pretty much the CRZ and Insight's method of electrification. Elec motor on the ass end of the engine before the tranny, makes auto stop and start a breeze. Also would allow them to use a manual gearbox, but this is MB so it ain't gon' happen.

>all the pistons always at the same level
Primary balance must be terrible.

This is b8 right?

learn2count

>I6
>hybrid but sensibly so
>electrically driven accessories
>hybrid TURBO eliminating spool lag

Well
Shit
This is cool

This is how hybrid power should be used desu
Augment the performance of the engine with electric power instead of tacking on a pifgat electric drive system

>Sounds like there are a lot of new parts that can and will break
Why do you think that?

No pullies and shit to replace and break, just wires. Electrical wires are much less likely to get fucked up.

It also makes the engine shorter, as the 15kW motor is smaller than the accessories on the front end would be. More can be packed in front of the firewall to the sides of the engine.

The 48v systems are also much much lighter than the traditional 12v.

Actually it's surely more than 20hp. Probably more like 35-45 because there is electricity stored in the small amount of batteries/capacitors to power the AC and other accessories instead of them drawing on the engine under full load.

The engine itself is over 400hp, so it's like adding around another 10% compared to a conventional system, on top of improving fuel efficiency.

I'm not sure it actually adds more weight when you take into account the removal of the alternator, the lighter weight of the 48v system, etc. Maybe like 50-75lb at most; will have to weight and see. Well worth the power and efficiency gained.

Agreed.

I hope some company starts making standalone conversion kits of stuff like this. Bad Obsession Motorsport could really use this for their Mini project, and it'd open a world of possibilities for kit car builders.

I like it. I like it a lot.

>No pullies and shit to replace and break, just wires. Electrical wires are much less likely to get fucked up.

ah yes, because E V E R Y B O D Y knows that electrical is much easier to repair by yourself, rather than that fucking useless mechanical garbage, amirite?

t. retard who has never heard of the 3000gt, 928, every old bmw, etc.

kek, nice catch.

so you can't trace down a bad circuit and you are calling people retarded?

Thank you t. hillbilly holley carb lover.

But he's not wrong.

Modern electrics are way more reliable

eh, its pretty easy to tell if an accessory isn't getting power. then all you would need to do is trace the circuit back. Yes that will require a little more time than checking if the belt is broken, but modern electronics and motors are pretty rock solid.

I would gladly take the weight reduction, improved economy, and packaging over a slightly simpler belt.

I have daily driven 20 year old cars and never had a significant electrical failure. I have had temp sensors fail, but that is it.

>I have daily driven 20 year old cars and never had a significant electrical failure

But we're not talking about 20 year old cars, we're talking about modern cars with modern electrics that are a fucking nightmare......and in a lot of cases nigh impossible to troubleshoot yourself without manufacturer specific equipment.

...and jesus christ, modern mercs and their electronics are anything but "rock solid".

hi Scotty.

i want to like it but it just seems like lots more things to go wrong, in areas that have very infrequent service lives and if they go wrong start taking the engine with them

i do like EV working as torque fill to make the power curve smooth as fuck

Doesn't the Regera use something like this?

Nope.

It'll still have an automatic behind it tho.

>Citation Needed.

Vacuum is shit and hidden away modules are shit, but replacing serpentine components with a generator isn't a terrible idea.

When can i get this in the C class

At least it'll be a DCT, not a slushbox

>Modern electrics are way more reliable

Unless you buy german that is...

Modern electrics are way more reliable than belts, dude.

Not to mention that holy shit vacuum lines are on a whole nother level, which is the main problem with those cars you listed, you fucking moron.

Go bitch about electric transistors replacing vacuum tubes while you're at it.
Hur dur it's so much easier to detect a blown vacuum tube than a defective transistor, yeah that's shit that matters.

VW says no.

Yeah, I'd really fucking love to see an aftermarket hybrid turbo kit.

An ecu compatible with many engines and the turbo controls, plus the turbo itself, and the capacitor.

The other bits might be too much for aftermarket. You'd need modified front engine housings to mount the electric motor.

but will it have a dipstick...

How long until they electrify the valve timing and get rid of conventional belts/chains?

Pushrods.

It's not likely, vairable geometry turbos have been around for a while, but it's still not used for many tuners. But I really hope I am wrong.

Eggsplain moar about the eletric turbocharger?

Would be possible to put in a 4.3 I6 Chevy?

I do hope this becomes the norm.

Most of Veeky Forums doesn't realize it only takes about 75hp for the average sized car to cruise at 100mph. A small electric motor, just 20hp like this, does a lot to increase efficiency on top of having the electricity to spool the turbo immediately at any RPM range.

It's useful for any car, both commuter and the most pure of sports cars.

Sure. Any car if you have enough money.

looks like pushrod

I'm getting sick of these .5 L per cylinder, square or near square bore:stroke ratio engines.

Give me something with ~.65-.9 L/Cyl and undersquare.

Yeah they're using the same exact pistons they use in their i-4 and v-8s, I believe.

So Mercedes made a fancy version of this?

I'm seeing stuff that should be implemented in Racecars.

>mfw I6 turbo f1 with a long sleek chassis

Uh... have you not actually been following racing at all? Jesus Christ Veeky Forums

Hybrid electric turbochargers have been used in them for a few years now and is finally trickling down to consumer cars.

You don't deserve this, but here it is anyway.

>cars are starting to become more and more like trains
>soon we will have small, highly efficient heat engines that generate power for electric motors to drive the wheels as opposed to mechanical connections from the pistons to the axles

Feels absolutely wonderful.

My econobox only has 50kw and still gets up to 110 mph.
Nobody seems to realise that the efficiency of a engine gets lower the lower the load is, as long as it doesn´t exceed about 70-80%.

You wouldn´t be able to rev that high with a longer stroke.

I feel the oppisite, I want a v8 with ~.375L per cylinder and insanely short stroke for muh revs

>WSOR
Wisconsin f am?

I don't want high revs, I want muh torx.

My ideal engine would be something like a N/A 4.3-4.7L I5 that's moderately undersquare.

Hell yeah pham.

You won´t get much power out of a Engine like that.

Who needs power when you can ease off the clutch and get rolling, all without pressing the gas?

What could possibly go wrong

Actually isn't there usually a sweet spot, usually around 30% or 40% energy load, and lower load is less efficient? I guess it could be higher still.

Pretty much all the hypermillers recommend to accelerate a bit "briskly" up to speed to load the engine a bit more, and that's more efficient than just slowly easing up there.

Everyone that wants to go fast.
If your first gear is that short you will have to shift extremly early.
Also with a shorter first gear every car could do that.

I should have mentioned that in my autistic fantasies, this hypothetical engine is an iron block/head, OHV, 10 valve intended for use as a base engine for half ton trucks.

The sweetspot is at 80-90% throttle opening and around 3000-4000rpm for most european engines, wich gives you about 70% of their power.
The sweet spot starts at avout 50% throttle an is usually betweein 2500 and 5000 rpm.
It is more efficient to use a bit less rpm/power since you will usually drop out the sweetspot when you reach you desired speed.

>iron block/head
>OHV
Sounds pretty damn old.
>10 Valves
For how many cylinders?
1?
2?
5?

You think we can get Chrysler to bring back the AMC block for this shit? I'd love to see a new Jeep with the proper engine for once. Though they only seemed to fuck it up as time when on (0331 head).

5, as mentioned in my post describing the engine here And yeah, I want an old school motor that would be easy to work on and maintain.

The current gen stang has a pretty short first gear. No problem getting in 1st gear from a slight uphill even without gas, but its at 15-20mph ~ 4k rpm

Did someone say Koenigsegg FreeValve?

Why should it be OHV and 5 cylinders if it should be easy to maintain?

They are doing this because of global regulation

motortrend.com/news/500-club-mercedes-benz-expands-its-new-500cccylinder-engine-family/

My first gear gets me up to ~70 km/h or ~44mph, so it is much longer, with this gear ratio I have to be more carefully with the clutch.
If you would try getting of at a similar gear ratio with your stang you would have to use the clutch as much as I do.

>electric water pump
this sounds interesting

Electric water pumps have been around for a while, and they make ones you can slap on an older engine.

>on when it needs to be, like not on cold stars
>keeps running when the engine is off
>runs at full power if needed when you are at idle
>less belts

And then there is GM who runs coolant through the fucking pulley tensioner.

Did they say a good reason to do so afterwards or was it the usual bullshit they alwasy do?

mercedes wins again

BUS system retard

Pulleys almost never break, and belts rarely need changing

I can tell you've never worked on modern modules/canbus

yeah, no

maybe 10% of the time the cause of the problems these cars have is a damaged wire or bad ground, it's almost always an intermittent problem in the module

The system makes a lot of sense for Mercedes but it's going to be even worse out of warranty.

ALL MERCEDES ARE SHIT. You'd better off buying early 70s vette

>Magneti Marelli
fucking hell

v noice

that's crazy