Are cars the most expensive mainstream hobby?

Are cars the most expensive mainstream hobby?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sG9yyzW-XQ8
aaenperformance.com/V4_racing_engine.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No. Stop buying pieces of shit.

nope flying small planes is way more expensive

Boats and rvs are mainstream and more expensive

>stop buying pieces of shit
Easy to tell you've never owned a modified car before.
You never get your money back when you modify a car, and if you try to you'll be sitting on it for months or years

No, flying is. Then boating. If you can consider flying a hobby. Imagine paying $6/gal for gasoline for your car, and needing to buy 50 gallons every time you go out for a long drive. Now imagine your insurance costs $8,000/yr, and your license costs $500/yr to maintain. And if you don't own a plane, you have to rent; $70-???/hr depending on the plane. If you own it you have to pay for the plane ($30,000-$?,???,??? depending on the plane) and a ramp space ($100/mo+) or hangar space/lease ($800/mo+).

is having a girlfriend a hobby?

you're retarded as fuck

expensive as hell.
all the good cars are expensive
all the fun mods are expensive
and require other expensive supporting mods so that you don't destroy your car with the extra power or kill yourself because your brakes or tires aren't rated for the new speeds the car can achieve.

Golf Club memberships could give them a run in terms of expense.

youtube.com/watch?v=sG9yyzW-XQ8

>mfw no bush plane to go hooning in

Cars can get prohibitively expensive if you're into actual track and performance vehicles. Actually collecting cars can be way more expensive than boats or planes if you let it be.

It's probably pushing the limit for being 'mainstream' but helicopters are actually the most expensive and still pretty frequently owned by rich people, especially when they've got actual land.

Pic related $200,000 tiny helicopter.

>collecting cars can be way more expensive than boats or planes if you let it be.
Collecting boats and planes would cost more.

R/C or actual personal planes?

While collecting cars is pretty commonplace I'd love to know how many diehard plane collectors are out there.

People generally only need so many boats, planes, and helicopters usually opting to sell their old ones to buy bigger/nicer ones.

>all the good cars are expensive
Umm try again sweetie.

I hear Magic the Gathering is expensive to get into.

No one on earth has a Jay Leno or Rick Hendrick-tier equivalent collection of planes

>No one on earth has a Jay Leno or Rick Hendrick-tier equivalent collection of planes
hahaha
No

Google Kermit Weeks

There are others like him.

The lens for my new camera costs more than your shitbox miata.
That new synth? I could have gotten 3 of your turbos with that money.

*scoffs* fucking peasants

boats can be wallet crushing as well
>30K just for a150 hp outboard motor

No. Guns and hunting.

>this faggot bragging about his $1,200 tamron lens
Fuck off nigger
Come back and brag when you're shooting on vintage leica primes and doing MF and LF film work

>synth

Holy hell are those expensive.

>more than you can afford pal, Moog.

Collecting instruments?

I'd say paintball could be more expensive depending on how much you play.

Guns are more expensive than cars?

>guns and hunting
>more expensive than cars
wut
you're one dumb son of a bitch. I have something like 30 guns, from $50 shitpistols to $5,000 precision rifles.
My race car alone costs more than half of the collection and it's just a chump car. I could buy two year's worth of ammunition and range fees for what a season of racing costs me. Add in the cost of my daily and my truck and my bike and my meager collection of cars costs more than 5x what my guns do.

what about dinghy and microlight
they seem like the shit box of that world

it costs 20 bucks and any chance you'll ever have of getting a girlfriend

guitars are more expensive than your shitty cars

Yes but that's the joys of actual freedom. IF you have literally thousands upon thousands of dollars to blow you can get full auto weapons, suppressors, and all kinds of other crazy shit especially easily if you have the sheer cash to get a dealer's license. Even without one you can still have those things transferred to you by jumping through hoops. The rare minigun will show up on the market usually netting over $600,000 each.

>yachts
>planes
>homes
No.

I can get a decent quality one for $500. Can't say the same for cars.

Almost certain that if you go clubbing every weekend you'll spend far more than you would on cars

Who the fuck buys/collects houses for fun?

actual personal planes

>hurr durr gun more expensive than car because rare $600,000 gun
Nigger there are cars that cost that new, and tons of old stuff that is worth millions because of its rarity.

>wristwatches
>alcohol
>paintings
>artwork
>model wives

etc.

And here I thought my retro gaming habit was expensive.

"hobby" isnt really the word, more so interest. people who want a big showy luxurious house in the middle of the most expensive city.

No it's a [spoiler] dream ;__; [/spoiler]

Firearms and hunting.

My hunting plot... 1million dollars ( split between 4 families. , my share 250k)

My hunting gear including atv / horses/ dogs , maybe 75-100k

Permits in state no so bad maybe $35, out of state i have some lotterypermits that are 2500k a year and that isnt even the tag. That is for a chance to win one of 10 tags given in a year.

My safaris 40-65k . Ive done 2. I doubt i will get to do another with the new rules in place. Thanks obama.

Firearms.

I have guns that range from $1000 with optics that equal that. To a shotguns and a double rifle worth 30k each.
I am an extreme case. But not an abnormal case.

Your average hunter, still sends thousands of dollars a year in gear, guns, tags, and everything else that goes into it. Your dreaming if you think you just walk into the woods with a $500 gun and thats it.

And thats just the hunting side. On the gun side i k ow people who have collections valued over 3 million.

I know NFA collecters who pay 50k for a gun.

And ill be the first to say it. Guns are bot a necessity. I would argue that a car is , for most Americans

Forgot about artwork and jewelry. Touche.

Is this pasta?

You think running a 150hp boat engine is bad? You can burn through $500 in gas a day easily in a 400+hp V8 ski boat.

Snowmobiling gets expensive when you hit the 300+hp 110 octane chute climbing levels, especially if your sled decides to tomahawk it's self off a cliff.

Well yeah, but just like there's guns that are worth insane amounts of money there's also cars that aren't worth shit. A sizable portion of the guns in that photo (someone's collection from /k/) are worth more individually than any of the running $1000-$2000 shitboxes on craigslist.

I didn't even originally argue for guns and hunting but it's wholeheartedly and honestly quite easily viable to get expensive just like any other hobby can.

Airplane collections are the most expensive hobby. Bar none. Guns? Yeah your $250,000 Machine gun is expensive, that's an *average* plane. You want something cool? You're going to pay millions. You want something fancy? Millions. Fast? Millions. Old? Millions. Sure you can get a cub for $30,000, but you're not collecting. You can keep all but the most vast gun collections in a large home. Plane collection? Get ready to spend millions for private hangars or a private strip.

Guns are a necessity and much like cars you don't need to buy new or fancy to get what you nees

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU COMPARING COLLECTING EXPENSIVE GUNS TO HAVING A CHEAP SHITBOX? THAT'S LIKE COMPARING EATING RAMEN NOODLES AND PIZZA ROLLS TO DINING AT WORLD CLASS RESTAURANTS?

the "car hobby" doesn't exist on this board.

this board is 90% normies or failed normies. have you seen the pictures of the meets? rarely if ever a unique car.
I don't consider maintenance or buying a stock production car to be hobbyist behavior.

One of my clients owned 15 helicopters before he died this year.

His personal heli was a bell 222
His wife has a bell 206

They owned a number of bell and euro copters that he leased out to flight for life companies.

OP said mainstream.

All I was stating is that dude's partial collection is easily worth the same as some of the prides and joys you see posted on Veeky Forums constantly.

The hobbies are literally comparable in price as both of them can be entered for literally chump change but scale upwards into million dollar collections.

Dude, you're legit autistic if you think being a shooting hobbyist is comparable to cars.
For 2 tracks days and a set of tires I can go buy a top of the line gun.
It's not even remotely comparable.

>two track days and a set of tires
2 grand max

What are you paying for track day?

My basic bitch precision rifle is 4k, scope 3k ,range finder $500, ammo $2.5 a shot.
1000yard range $700 a year for my club. Ive seen some that charge $125 per day of shooting to non members.

Im not saying trackday cant be expensive. But i think you underestimate the cost of shooting.

Without factoring the cost of the custom built vault, this attorney's collection is worth several millions and pic related is only half the room.

But do go on about how guns are cheap and in no way comparable to cars.

Yeah in 2 grand in consumable materials in 2 days not including entry fees and fuel.
I could go buy the Focus RS of guns for $2k.

It's not comparable stop embarrassing yourself /k/tard

why so many bar thought ?

the 150 hp boat motors are just for recreational fishing
costs around 100$ in fuel to get to where the fish are tho

>Snowmobiling gets expensive when you hit the 300+hp
at that point you ditch the 80% slipping cvt and go direct drive ?
aaenperformance.com/V4_racing_engine.asp

Lets not fight.

The obvious answer is Tank collecting.

Fuddism. It can strike at any net worth.

>a stock production car to be hobbyist behavior.
an italian car is a hobby all of its own
and they do not stay stock for long given how shit the oem parts are

Different manufactures and models most likely, dude has like eight different thompsons in that picture.

>cars being most expensive
>most expensive car is just a quarter of this planes value

>all those beautiful guns and he couldn't have picked better chairs?

those look scratchy and uncomfortable as fuck

Just because you're a shit any wish to blow all your money on hunting for some stupid reason doesn't mean it's more expensive.

$4k for a hunting rifle and $3k for a scope is way the fuck over the top. Other dude was saying 2 track days and tires. You're saying how you blew all this money on really nice rifles and property to shoot at, it's literally comparing apples and oranges.

>Car enthusiast
>Buys car, drives car on twisty roads in spirited manner
>Car cost $5k+ could have cost less but a decent conditions sporty car im gonna round to $5k

>Gun enthusiast
>has a decent collection of firearms
>pistol, shotgun, maybe a rifle or two
>supply of ammo
>can go innawoods and shoot for free or go to range that costs MAX $50 to shoot it, even though none of the local ranges in my area cost over $20.
>Overall cost $1k-$3k

Not the shit you're talking about with your stupid fucking $700 a year membership, $7k rifle, and expensive ass ammo. A proper comparison to you would be someone who buys an actual sports car, mods it, and then is at the track every weekend

Yeahhh but realistically owning a plane of is out of reach for 99% of the developed world. You can't really compare it to hobbies that normal people can actually buy into.

you cant
good guitars are about +1000u$a

Depends on our definition of good. I say a guitar's good if it has playable quality, and a good car is one that runs as intended with no further work.

I'd say the prices for each of those things are going to be noticeably different, but it could just be a subjective difference.

You just sounded like my math problem haha ha

dude weed lmao

grew up racing sailboats, cars are nothing compared to that.

>sailboats

Is there anything whiter?

Building ships in a bottle and stamp collections.

Most pilots are millionaires...and former billionaires

those numbers were way cheaper than I would have guessed desu

not much more than someone who actually thrashes their car on a track every weekend or two

Dude, having a decently modified AR can easily cost $1500, and that's a fairly standard part of the gun lover's starter pack. Plus, it's rare for gun owners to *just* have one or a couple guns (while most car people only have one to three cars unless they're very well off).

All the gun owners I know have at least $5k in rifles, shotguns, handguns, cases, accessories and ammo in their ownership at any given time.

While a car owner typically spends more on one or two collector/"fun" cars, gun collectors can easily blow $400- $2k on an average gun, and they'll own at least 4 or 5 guns (one or two hunting rifles and shotguns exclusively for use hunting, one or two trusty side pieces, one or two range guns, and a couple guns for plinking and/or for friends to shoot if they come along to the fun range).

That being said, I'd consider golf more of a normie pastime than car or gun collecting, and membership at a cheap golf club can easily run you $10k a year, plus you need golf equipment, which can run you $2k easily (and probably gets replaced/upgraded every 2-3 years, at least, if you play with any regularity). If you're talking about membership at a TPC club, that's probably more like $15k+, and that's still on the lower end of a lot of clubs in major metropolitan areas of middle America. The club nearest my house growing up was $30k per year for full members, $15k for pool and tennis only. Dues are annual, so it's like a never ending $1k/mo- $3k/mo car payment just to play golf a couple times a week for 6 months a year.

>mostly american garbage

Yeah were I alive and had a couple thou post 1949 I too would own 5+ surplus props and P-51s. Shit was sold off for cheap.

What a garbage "collection"

Is there a modding scene for airplanes?

Like, hot rods of the air?

I hear some people say WWII-era warbirds and replicas are basically this, but I'm curious if there's any modern scene for it.

As stupid as it sounds, it would be fun to see tuner-style planes and nights at the airstrip where pilots go hooning in their tricked out planes.

But I guess flying is too complex, regulated and expensive for anyone except buttoned shirt & khaki wearing pansies with their newest gulfstream to poo-poo all the cessnas and pipers on the lot.

Imagine where we could be right now is supersonic jet racing was a thing.

that's not true you can get club of the knobs system for $30,000. it's an exact reproduction of the moog you posted, except it isn't a million dollars. cars i'd say get more expensive than that.

>fender MIM strat
>nitro finish
>500 bucks

lol

>replicates a shot he saw off tumblr a month ago. and thinks his good.
>faggot shoots in auto, maxes out the clarity slider, water marks the photo and calls it a day.
>does a long exposure of traffic, and jacks off to it.

Fuck outta here, kid.

>does cliche B&W shots of people in the streets.
>finds some vaguely abstract architecture and photographs the same shit 10 times
>all his work is uninspired """"artistic"""" high contrast crap.

Fuck outta here, kid.

Hobby $ POWER RANKING
>RV
>Boating
>DSLR
>GUN Collecting
>Synth
>Girl Friend
>Cars

Speaking from experience I'm going to have to go with Yacht racing as the $$$$ hobby.. A new set of carbon racing sails for a 70 foot sled costs about $180,000 and you need 3 sets of those sails for different wind speeds and they only last 1-2 season of racing.. remember that doesn't even include the price of the boat.

>projecting
The difference between you and I??

I am an artíste; you are a fuccboi poser

>suppressors
Why are suppressors considered as "crazy shit"?

Owning a boat like this is less of a hobby itself than a part of a bigger hobby like fishing or sailing.

>Gun collecting above cars

Not really, unless you are purchasing some super rare or expensive shit.

I checked out Cigarette Racing lately, figured cars aren't that expensive a hobby compared to boats
>twin supercharged Merc V8s
>There's three of them
Probably burns more fuel to exit the marina thant my car burns in a month

>family owned old shit box 22ft Grady white
>250 Yamaha 2 stroke
>100 gallon gas tank
>0-3 mpg
>trailered it down to the florida keys for a week of offshore fishing when gas prices were $4+ per gallon
>tfw spent $1800 in gas

literally all you need for hunting are clothes and guns or a bow/crossbow, this has to be bait

home nuclear reactor powered 50 foot tall robot

Travel is more expensive. Thousands just for a couple of weeks.

Gambling is a hobby to many, I'd consider it expensive since you get nothing in return, it's a complete money sink.

This. They're not that expensive.

Whore collecting is inexpensive if done right.

>yacht
>racing

Isn't that an oxymoron?