Avalanche vs Ridgeline

So I recently heard news that GM will bring back the Avalanche will be coming back, and at about the same time I saw a commercial for the new Ridgeline. So /O, which is better the Avalanche or the Ridgeline?

they're both shit. either you need a truck or you dont and should just get a minivan.

Why not have the room to fit your children when you need to and also have room to fit several pieces of lumber?

which you can do in a normal truck or minivan perfectly fine.

Because the Silverado or F-150s are built more reliable, have more carrying space, and don't do this kind of weird body.

This thing extends from the fact that people don't want pick em up truccs nowadays and shorten the bed so much whilst extending the cab. The Ranger post 2013 (compared to the 2011 and younger) shows this. The Avalanche shows this. The crewcab dominated pickup market shows this.
People want SUVs. OP, you should get an SUVs instead of this thing. I hear the suburban is still kinda good. Get it in shiny black so you can look like FBI
(or CIA)

The Ridgeline is basically an SUV with a bed

So is the Avalanche idiot.

Or you could do it with only one vehicle instead of two.

>So are the modern F-150s / Ram short beds.
>S-10s, Rangers, and Colorados are UTEs.
>El Caminos are Camaros.
>Camaros are S2000s.
Find the incorrect statement.

Personally, my useful differentiator of truccs / SUVs / UTEs is the aftermarket parts and weight distribution. If they have bedliners, caps, addons, and a shitton of other plopable parts for the bed (area exposed to the atmosphere), then go ahead and call it a truck. This goes the same with flatbeds and other commerical trucks.
However, in the case of Avalanches, UTEs, and ESCALADES FOR GOD'S SAKE, they do not have a large aftermarket cap size and customisability is at best limited.

OP: why no suburban or escalade. Or get yourself an old K5 / Bronco / Ramcharger. A modern Silverado with truck cap?

A used Sport Trac is still the best.

Is the bed shell a physically seperate part from the cabin structure?

Y: It's a pickup.
N: It's a ute or sawed off SUV.

this is still a ute tho

>Why not have the room to fit your children when you need to and also have room to fit several pieces of lumber?
If all you're worried about is fitting a bunch of kids and sticks, you might as well buy a fucking trailer for a fraction of the price. The Avalanche's load capacity is a measily 1400 lbs, most cars can handle this much load behind their hitch. Bonus point: one characteristic trait of trailers is that you can detach them when you don't need them.

Not that guy, but it's funny to note by literal definition, the Falcon "ute" is technically not a ute.

it looks the same as the sedan, is enough for it to be a ute

I hear this a lot of the time but don't think it's a useful definition. A lot of older vehicles had equitable parts for the beds despite being one piece. F-100s were one piece. So are a lot of commerical flatbed lorries. Also the Kei pickup ^__^

Also let's not forget the Chevrolet SSR (as much as we'd like to)

This is solid fucking advice. Get a Suburban and a trailer hitch.

No, get literally any car and a trailer hitch. Even a fucking Golf will tow 1500 lbs.

At least I hope so, I don't know how badly the tow ratings are crippled in tow-scared Murrika.

>So I recently heard news that GM will bring back the Avalanche will be coming back
Where did you hear this hunk of baloney from?
You sure they weren't just talking about this new concept? (The Silverado High Desert edition)

Because I'm pretty sure GM isn't going to revive it. The Avalanche, along with it's twin the Escalade EXT is discontinued for good.

The High Desert is just like some sort of legacy for both of the SUTs'.

Or you could buy the one vehicle that suits, and not have to tow a trailer.
Personally though, I'd sooner buy a dual cab 1/4 ton like a Colorado over an Avalanche.

That does not maketh a ute. After all, the HQ-WB Holdens were sold as both utes and 1 tonne trucks.

But towing isn't an issue if you're not a complete fucking moron about it.

Here's the rear view of the concept art. It looks like it lacks that extended bed option both the 'Lanche and Escalade EXT had.

I recommend him a Suburban because if he's looking for an Avalanche, there's probably a certain aesthetic decision on his part (that I won't judge). Closest thing near the price range is probably the iconic Suburban. Or the Expedition because muh ecoboost.

Golfs don't have tow capacities and so my friend got Jetta has something like 1 ton tow capacity. More than enough for what he'd want in an avalanche bed.

It's also not an issue if you don't have to do it.
That completely undermines the fact that 1500lb tow capacity has to take into account, you know, the actual trailer tare weight. Leaving you with a cargo capacity of ~800lb.

To most people a bed is a convenience and not a tool. Just lazily throw your groceries, kids school bags, the dogs, push bikes, random shit whatever etc in the back. Mums arent going to trade their hilux sr5 in for a kulger and trailer... People buy trucks for a reason. Even in australia the 'luxury trucks' make up 30% of top ten cars sold.

>But towing isn't an issue
towing is always an issue. i hate hooking trailers up and having to maneuver around with it dragging behind.

This is exactly what I do with my X3 but would never put my groceries, bags, dogs or other non-outstide stuff in my Ranger's bed.
Then again, I live in Canada so we get -20C weather and long stretches of highway and weird turns. I didn't know other cunt-trees did things like that (even considering the weather permits it).

I should come on non-North America times more Veeky Forumsften

Get two vehicles?

What would you be carrying in a single axle trailer that would exceed 800lbs? I don't think you'd be able to even fit an ATV or dirtbike on one of those things anyway.

>What would you be carrying in a single axle trailer that would exceed 800lb?
Not sure if you have the memory of a goldfish, but this conversation stemmed from the critisism of the Avalanche's 1400lb payload. I don't see how downgrading to 800lb is a solution.
>Get two vehicles?
Or just one that covers all bases?

Since whatever they get that can tow also has a trunk or hatch that will be able to carry the extra spacing. The removable factor is a major plus as well.
If OP gon' git a vehicle that covers one base, i don't see him getting a trailer, really. Especially if an avalanche is the first choice.

Regarding two vehicles, that's a fair point. I've honestly grown so accustomed to having a work vehicle and a casual vehicle that I just would never consider something between the two (like an avalanche) as being a possibility.

Looks like I'll still resort to my old point of getting a modern or old bodied (muh) pick 'm 'p trucc. Not sure if any of the posters so far have been OP but if they have and he's adamant on a cab + bed, the modern pickups are pretty darn comfortable (not the frontier though).

>covers one base
Again, I think the intention is that it covers most bases instead of just one. And again, I'd more readily choose a proper pick up alternative like the dual cab Colorado as I just see the mono body bed as a limitation.
On that note, I can't see why Chevrolet would re-release the Avalanche given they have dual cab options in both the 1/4 ton and 1/2 ton segment.

Honestly, I'm not sure what OP's intention is. My thought is he's gone to sleep. So should I as it's 3am and my bags even have bags.

Cadillac has an option for the escalade to have a bed (and be a hideous truccc). The avalanche is just the cheaper cadillac and thus must accompany them.
I think they have too much tradiational respect for them to fuck with the suburban (at least that's what i hope) to turn it into the avalanche.

Night, user.

Yeah but nicer

>Cadillac has an option for the escalade to have a bed
Not anymore, just like the Avalanche as it was basically the same vehicle. However since this is General Rebadge we're talking about here, you can still do things like this.

I'd be driving an Avalanche right now if they made them with stick. This is mainly because I'm a poorfag though and you can get a great deal on them as they're bought by people who treat them like crossovers and get rid of them at poor condition prices if the plastic cladding gets damaged.

>tfw Subaru will never make another Baja turbo

Colorado Diesel

I carry lumber all the time in my minivan.

Fucks up the interior though

If the Avalanche does come back in similar form to the original (and the Silverado High Desert isn't that), then the choice would depend on which storage features you prefer.

The Avalanche has the locking covered bed and removable "midgate", so the bed can be configured for anything from a secured separate "trunk" to a completely open bed up to the back of the front seats.

The Ridgeline lacks the midgate, but has a locking "trunk" compartment at the back of the bed, and a two-way tailgate.

Ignore the Veeky Forumstists who insist that there's no point in buying anything with a bed that's not a full-sized single cab long bed truck. For some reason Veeky Forums seems to think that there's no possible use for a pickup truck besides hauling heavy lumber loads or something. (and yet these same spergs seem to be OK with minitrucks and utes, for some reason)

Towing is "an issue" in that you have to store a trailer someplace when not using it, and worry about Mexicans stealing it (either when it's stored or when you're out on the road with it). There's no reason to go to that kind of trouble when one vehicle can serve the need without compromise (passenger capacity, in this case).

It sounds like the Avalanche might come back as another "lifestyle" truck, aka "crossover pickup", with less resemblance to the Silverado/Colorado. Hard to say whether they'll keep the "convertible" bed or not.

Never say never, crossover trucks are thought to be an upcoming trend in the industry. Even Hyundai is developing one.

Just use a tarp.
For most people, a regular sedan with the seats folded down could carry enough lumber.

Avalanche is better by far. It's a Suburban with no third row and the back turned into a bed. So it's on a very good chassis coming from the longest running production model in automotive history, add a 6 liter v8 on top of that. It's really hard to say no to

A FWD SUV.
Also V6

Sounds like a modern SUV to me

Why not just get a suburban and remove the rear seats?

I miss my Baja

You can put the tailgate down to fit 2 motorcycles. Something the suburban can't do.

No, it's a minivan with a bed

Modern SUVs are just jacked up minivans

The avalanche is still body on frame.

escalade, expedition, etc are all still body on frame

No wonder they suck