What car has it all (mostly)?

What car has it all (mostly)?

I am really struggling to find cars that check all the boxes..

>Practical
>Reliable
>Fun
>Good value for money (that doesn't mean cheap)

I'm talking about the kind of car you can drive for miles and enjoy every minute. One that you can do a decent chunk of maintenance yourself. One that has 4 doors and a decent trunk, so you can actually go on a road trip and bring shit with you. One that isn't a FWD piece of shit.
Pic related, I feel like this car is a winner, but it's getting kind of old and hard to find decent examples without splurging on an unmolested unicorn.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/51037518
vimeo.com/51041936
youtube.com/watch?v=jiAxVZK5-2g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Really?
Fucking tired of this shit...

Subaru wrx.

some variety of Mercedes Benz 280

Corolla is 10x better than that shitty bmw would ever hope

BMW E39
BMW E60
BMW E46 maybe
BMW E38
Opel Omega II
Audi RS2
Audi A8 (D2 imo the best)
Audi V8 and other Audi quattro sedans/avants
Mercedes W124/123 maybe, but the're old like an E30
Maybe any of Japaneesee classic rwd sedans?

Isn't that a ford sierra though?

>Audi RS2
These are fucking unobtanium.

Right now 16 for sale on mobile.de. Worth every single €cent imo but i'm poorfag

>tfw only one for sale in my country and it's sixty fucking thousand eurobucks

Damn, I had forgotten about the RS2, really great all-round car.

E30 325ix

'89 Honda Civic with Realtime 4 Wheel Drive

3rd gen Subaru Legacy GT

Mercedes 300TD Turbo.

WRX

It's the only car that "does it all" reasonably well.

>Performance
220~HP and turns well because muh AWD

>Practicality
In wagon/hatch form, it can carry stuff as well as you can fit it.

>Value
These things don't depreciate badly at all, even used ones carry a high price tag most of the time.

Just buy a CrewCab 4x4

V8 ZJ

>Performance
250~HP and turns well because muh full-time 4WD

>Practicality
Considerably bigger than WRX, it can carry stuff period

>Value
Cost $1k used

>ZJ

>Any Chrysler product

I really wish the ZJ (and furthermore, WJ) were worth a damn, because I genuinely like them and don't feel like dealing with the 45 year old single soccer mom who didn't maintain the damn thing.

:/ nobody took care of them but my Grandpa, and his went for 350k before he sold it. Thing ran like a top because even though he only changed the engine oil every 5k, he'd do the ATF every 15k and the gearbox refused to die.

Literally pic related.

e30's and most e36's are reliable and as long lasting as a corolla if they are looked after. Even with a displacelet SOHC engine, my compact is fun to drive and I imagine the 6 cyilinders would be even better. They are generally good value for money, e30's are overpriced a bit but e36's are very cheap and often in half decent shape.

Practicality depends on what you mean by that, the sedans should be fine but if you can find a wagon then they are as practical as a non-4wd car can be.

FJ40 is life

Volvo 740. or 240. or 850. or any of them pre 2000, really.

>turns well because muh full-time 4WD

The ZJ is fine as long as it has the 4.0. WJ is shit

pic related

>inb4 can't carry enough for a road trip
You are packing too much

What do i win lads

Yeah I agree those are pretty good, and the wagons are damn cool. Are they reliable? I know they are quite thirsty but hey ho, can't have it all..

I mean 4x4's definitely take the cake, but personally living in London, not very practical.

You didn't, beat you to it.
I don't know how I'd feel about spending 4 hours in the rain on that thing..
Sedans are practical enough for me, I am a firm believer in roof racks.
I really wish the e46 was not a 'maybe'. I think it's such a great looking car, modern enough and relatively cheap to buy, but it seems like quite a high maintenance bitch. Even preventative, it still asks a lot. I hope I've been mislead by the internet.

It's got a fairing and windscreen, you'd be fine

"motorcycles will kill you in the rain" is a meme.

>reliable
Absolutely not.
Old Co worker at Honda spent 10,000$ on one of these with 140K miles
I have never laughed so fucking hard in my fucking life. He's a BMW fag too. Sold his STi for it.

I'm a jeep Cherokee guy for all those reasons, it's even rwd when you're not checking out a two track. 4L w 5spd, easy to work on, best is they're plentiful enough you can still find then cheap. Have to search for no catastrophic floor board rust, but it's possible.

A 5speed 4x4 in 4l is extremely hard to find.
My mom had one when I was about 8-10 years old. Someone borrowed it from her and totalled it. Had a new clutch in it and everything. Maroon interior maroon paint. My mom still complains she lost it. Almost 15 years ago. I miss that thing so much.

The autos aren't bad. Plenty reliable and personally I like having an auto in a lot of offroading situations.

I disagree. The autos are made of glass
Having torque control in each gear while offroading is amazing. I would never own a an auto 4x4.
This is coming from driving a 1989 1/2 Nissa. D21 hardbody 4x4 5 speed v6

>The autos are made of glass
140k on mine with no issues, lots of guys go 250k+ with no issues. This is the AW4 in the later cherokees, not sure what they used in the earlier models. I also have a 5 speed 4x4 truck

Are they reliable?

Can't speak for wrx, but my 99 impreza outback has 400k miles and is still running strong. Every subaru I've seen lasts for freaking ever (It's needed like $300 in repairs the past 5 years, and I think this is from hitting 2 deer in the past).

I can think of one

Just watch the Top Gear Africa Special and you'll understand that the WRX can handle anything.

Pretty sure it suffered the fewest catastrophic failures of the lot (850R volvo and BMW 5 series estate)

300TD... fun...

What are you smoking?

im smoking your mothers clit

An S13 240sx coupe is very similar to a simple E30 in stock form. You just have to stop yourself from fucking with it too much like most owners do.

If you can't get an Rs2 why not get the next best thing? I sure as fuck did. Picked this up for 3.3k 160k miles, with a cel light on which I fixed for $0.00 and it fucking runs amazing. Have only had it for about a month now but have yet to have any problems. A few small things but kind of expected when its 24 years old

Even has the carbon fiber trim pieces. Yeah you heard that right fucking carbon fiber what other cars had carbon fiber in 1993?

mfw I saw this the other day

CTS-V wagon

Turbo Volvo if that's too pricey.

>"CARBON FIBER"
""""

t1 torsen awd (100% mechanical), Rear locking diff at the touch of a button, ability to convert to rwd by removing some shit out of the transmission. Capable of over 1300hp, can do 260mph with no aero mods.

vimeo.com/51037518

vimeo.com/51041936

I could keep going... but you guys probably think I am a retard so I will stop now.

E30 definitely wins in my book. the space in a 4 door is pretty fucking nice. the m20 might be old, but it's still plenty of power for scooting around

love mine as a daily. glad i got one before they started getting classic tax

>no aero mods

>wheel covers
>shit on the roof

Any retard and their dad can put wheel covers on in less then 10 minutes. The roof rails are for safety, in the comments

youtube.com/watch?v=jiAxVZK5-2g

"The car races in SCTA’s Production Supercharged class, which requires pure stock factory body contours and no non-stock aero aids - the underside of the car is that of a standard C4 UrS car. The only aerodynamic modification is 3/4" tall roof rails, which are for safety."

>The only aerodynamic modification is 3/4" tall roof rails
>aerodynamic modification

>260mph with no aero mods
>no aero mods

Pick one

E36 M3 sedans are gud
E36 325i and turbo that fucker
E39 540i/6 speed & W210 E55 AMG are getting pretty cheap, but the maintenance on one will depend on your skill while the former are much easier

240sx

Consider the following

Legacy Spec.B

>Ej255 with WRX power output (245hp)
>Turbocharged
>6 Speed manual
>Sleeper (doesn't attract cops)
>WRX Aftermarket
>Subaru reliability / AWD
>Cheaper than equivalent WRX or STI's in market

Simple, Fast, unsuspecting.

Alright fine im sorry I didn't watch the video in the last 3 months and can't remember everything about everything.

> 260mph with 2 aero mods including a 3/4" tall roof rail and wheel covers.

Correct answer

>Fast
>Relatively cheap
>Loads of room
>Will go forever
>Skidz for days
Can't be an SS Commodore.

Is the Commodore literally the perfect car?

>Pic related, I feel like this car is a winner, but it's getting kind of old and hard to find decent examples without splurging on an unmolested unicorn.
At least the E36 is filling that role now.