What do you do for a living? Do you make good money? Do you like doing it? Curious

What do you do for a living? Do you make good money? Do you like doing it? Curious.

I'm a truck driver. I make good money. I enjoy it but its getting boring. Would rather work a 9-5 so I can go fishing for a hour every evening. And have a wife and kids now.

What made ya become a truck driver?

-I am a low tier corporate clerk for an IT services corporation. I am < 30 yrs old.
-It pays relatively well, the local job market is not very rich and I make as much as many people in later stages of life. It allows me to pay rent, bills, the gas for an old car and to save a small sum at the end of the month.
-It is depressing to know that this is one of the good jobs around.
-I absolutely hate it. I am sick of the constant flow of spreadsheets and idiotic bureaucracy. It is either too stressful or too boring. It does not bring me any satisfaction at the end of the day.
-It is pretty much the only thing my useless Buisness degree could bring
-I am in the search for an escape, which proves to be difficult, go figure. (Veeky Forums don't want to shower me with money)

I'm a neet with cash in the bank. Outlook looks good at the mom. It's fine but it gets a little lonely at nights and you lose your social skills.

Shitty factory work ever since I graduated highschool. Currently in my sophomore year of computer science.

No I don't enjoy it. Fuck factory work. Currently exploring other options so I can just walk away from it all.

I work an office job (first job out of college) in the news media industry

The money is okay, but certainly enough since my rent is minimal and the phone contract is paid by the company

The work itself can be a bit boring sometimes, but it's usually fun and I get to travel around a lot so that's a nice perk

I was 22 with a GED could only get shitty factory jobs and hated living with my father. I tried nursing first but I can't so book learning. Need hands on education.

Project manager and lead developer at a software startup. Make very good money but was also making good money at my previous job but this is good management experience.

I enjoy having to negotiate deals between different stakeholders which makes me feel important but sometimes i think the actual programming side of things can be more fulfilling. In early 20s.

Damn, I'm jealous

i live off dividends for 2 years now, i enjoy having to negotiate between what our I wake up

engineer at one of the top IT companies

about 200k total comp

no. i don't even like computers anymore. i'm doing this for a few more years then i'm moving somewhere inexpensive where i can live off of passive income and take up farming.

Develop quantitative investing systems at a medium size mutual fund. I read the research and write the code.

Basically apply academic research (into the value anomaly ---- it's easy for the marketing guys to sell).

I like it and it pays well.

Nice
Thanks it took a lot of hard work

How many years experience and what part of the country

i respect it user, this is something i want to do as well how long do you think you will have spent between school and work to reach that point

> What do you do for a living?
Lay tile

> Do you make good money?
Usually. At least $50/hr after expenses, and other BS.

>Do you like doing it?
Mostly. Some jobs get pretty back breaking though. And some customers can be a PITA.

It's when a job gets out of hand that it gets stressful. Like you planned for a 3 day job and it ends up being more like a 5 day job. But you promised the guy 3 days so you work 12hr days with no lunch break. And then spend the next few days practically unable to move cause your back is fucked.

I'm pretty good at planning out jobs at this point, but some still get fucky.

Noice. This is also my dream.

Just have a million or so, and get a little cottage in rural southern united states.

The people that are desperate to be rich and have a lot of power, I'll never understand this mentality. Till the day I die, it's just not in my DNA to think like that.

I'm a pretty shitty entrepreneur. I mostly do resale, although I've recently found a pretty promising niche market. I make enough to pay my bills and save money, but I still live with my parents and can't really afford to be out on my own. I'm following a "fake it until you make it" philosophy, I guess.

All things considered, I'd rather do this than work for somebody else.

Day trade
Yes
Yes

I do that as well but Im more on software side than research. Are you in Europe or US ? What scale is your comp ?
(I am in eur and make low 6 fig all in my first year there)

Tile bro, how do I find a place to learn to tile?

The guys on craigslist who i call or email about work always end up being scumbags running shitty businesses.

>The people that are desperate to be rich and have a lot of power, I'll never understand this mentality. Till the day I die, it's just not in my DNA to think like that.

That is because you don't think it's possible. Actually, you KNOW that it isn't possible - because you don't have the heart. This isn't an insult, it's just reality. I know because I used to think the same way. I had the same fairy tale idea of throwing a million in the bank, getting a small studio apartment, and just living off the interest. But it doesn't work like that. The money makes you sick and you want to take over the world. And you can if you really want to

i do building maintenance. i keep a apartment building clean (like house keeping)

i only make 420$ after taxes. its okay pay but its not enough for me to get by with. once it get in the union i supposably get a raise. i'm just a temp worker so i cover for people who go on vacation. i get moved around from various building the company owns.

its a chill job. the broom doesnt bother me i dont bother the broom. i wish they could put me in a permanent spot already so i can get into the union and make more money along with benefits.

10 years (early 30s) in Silicon Valley. i spent most of my career at startups and only recently joined a "stable" company. keep in mind that rent here is $2,200 - $3,000 for a 1 bedroom apartment and cost of living is pretty high, so the salary isn't quite as big as it seems.

i dropped out of college and joined a startup in San Francisco 10 years ago. no one cares about degrees, they only care if you can build products.

i'm aiming for 500k. i never really paid attention to my finances until last year. if i had been saving regularly while making 6 figures, i'd have like 600k already.

Just go through the internet looking up tile layers in your area. Call them one by one. Just say you're interested in it, will show up and work hard, can they give you a chance. Spend the next 6 months to a year learning everything.

I think it's possible. I had one week where I made $3k. And if I hired people it could easily be more than that. Then expansion, and meetings and advertising, and on and on and on and on.

It would never end. I draw the line at my comfort. For me I can die having never reached my money making potential and be 100% okay with that decision.

I like working 25hr weeks and spending the rest of the time wasting my life on Veeky Forums and other stupid shit.

> scumbags running shitty businesses

rofl. Yep.

They're pretty much all scum.

When my old boss found out I started my own tile company he lost his shit. Well guess what? Working 12hr days for $15/hr with no lunch breaks was only gonna fly for so long you fucking faggot.

I own a janitorial and environmental company.

I make a bit over $100k per year. I can borrow anything up to a couple million dollars if I want.

I love it, I'm retired. There are disadvantages to not working, but they're little ones like not having much of a social life. Other than that it's pretty chill. If I want to do something I probably can. If I don't want to do anything I can do that too.

what do you sell?

how much you make?

factory owner
kinda
no

>The guys on craigslist who i call or email about work always end up being scumbags running shitty businesses.

You will have to deal with that in tile laying because it isn't a certified trade, you're better off going to school to learn plumbing or electrical imo.

pathetic cubicle fantasy

>truck driver
>50k dollary doos after tax (37k usd)
>was fun at first but it's three years later and I'm bored as fuck

Honest thought: unless you follow a passion in a straight line from childhood, thru college, and into adulthood, you won't make good money as an employee. You need to run your own business to make real dough.

Nice m8. How much invested capital? And what yield approx?

I work in Business Intelligence

It's pretty good money. Just barely six figures.

It's ok. Very detail oriented. Lots and lots of testing so it's slow moving. Much more DBA work than traditional SQL development work if you wind up in big data.

It's very safe with lots of opportunity for upward mobility.

> What do you do for a living?
Mech eng. in Germany.

> Do you make good money?
yes 52k eurobucks before taxes is quite good.
The perks are great. 30 days paid holiday and only 35h weeks.
But taxation here is so huge.

>Do you like doing it?
Well most of the time it's okay, some days it's going slow and sometimes I do really interesting stuff.
I hope I am able to quit the rat race before turning 40.

do tell more

>What do you do for a living?
Waiter
>Do you make good money?
~$45,000 after taxes. Ill probably go back to school tho
>Do you like doing it?
Most nights. Some people are cunts tho

what do you want to know?

how did you get started ? how old are/were you now/then ?

I bought a small cleaning company off my gf's sister when I was 30. I paid for it by doing her job for free for a year. The next year I expanded the company and then retired. I was 32.

I'm currently 44. I've been retired for 12 years.

>50 an hour
Are you serious? I've seen advertisements for tile layers that pay 18. Where do you live?

there's a pretty big difference between a tile contractor's employee and a tile contractor. Self-employed make a lot more money.

Sorting goods in back of a thrift shop

No.

Yes.

I'm unemployed and in college with enough money to get me through the end of the month. First semester and i'm 24.

I owe my parents like 10k, and I have this crazy fee for like 8k hanging over my head that I could make go away with a lawyer but i dont have a lawyer.

I've been in debt since I was like 16 and I'm gonna be for like another 15 years unless I figure something out.