Why did the Christian God command it's believers to be such shitty artists with no sense of depth or perspective?

Why did the Christian God command it's believers to be such shitty artists with no sense of depth or perspective?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_XI#International_relations
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Adolf_Hitler
catholic-convert.com/wp-content/uploads/SexInProtestantChurches.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>shitty
>no sense
>no depth
>no perspective
To match the religion perfectly?

Christians are known to be shit be shit at everything they do

>b-but muh newton

Statistical outliers, you dumb christcuck

It didn't have anything to do with religion as much as the economic realities of the time and place as well as some scientific limitations.

Hence why later Christian artists produced some of the most enduring works of art in all of history.

Hm

Hmm

Are Atheists really this stupid?

>muh naturalism

Christian artists knew how to create "naturalist" art, and chose to for some applications. Pic related, arm reliquary ca. 1190. However, they prioritized other things—gesture, emotion, narrative, devotional impact, etc.—for other works. Food for thought: why try to depict the divine through imitating the earthly?

3rd century Rome

/thread

Classicists are the cancer of art.

20th century Rome

Were atheists crafting finer art than Christians were in the middle ages or something?

the first anime

Look at this triggered christcuck

That's gaudy as shit. I'm not even the sort who thinks all art has to be hyper realistic.

>posts something stupid
>gets called stupid
>lol triggered

Fedoras are truely the shitposters of our time.

>it's stupid because it hurts my feelings

This is how christcucks actually think

what does jewish art look like?

after a quick search, surprisingly similar to islamic religious art

>implying medieval art isn't the best form or art

pleb

>to top it all off, he uses cuck unironically

Living meme.

take that back

>

Eastern Christian iconography is widely considered visually pleasing.

>he's too much a subhuman to understand the concept of statistical outliers

Out of centuries of dominating the western world, and billions of followers through history, that's all what christucks can produce.

Meanwhile, nowadays atheists utterly dominate elite scientific institutions like the National Academy of Sciences, and are extremely overrepresented in sciences in general.

>we wuz scientists n shiet

Meanwhile, no a single living person on the list, top kek

>atheist subhuman calling me a subhuman
top lel

I'm an atheist and i work in science, here a fact, i meet a lot of religious people. Ultra religious fagotery(atheist or not) is meet in general in america, Europe have less of this bullshit(turkey and Iran too, arabe are unicorn).

Not an argument

Yes, yes, fuck Christianity and the Western civilization which it built, good ***. If we destroy it we will surely be colonizing the universe hehe.

/pol/faggots certainly don't know subtlety

>fedorafags think this is bad art

I hate /pol/ as much as I hate atheists, m'lad.

Did they not succeed in creating art that people are still talking about centuries later on Internet message boards?

>Moses said to the Lord, "Pardon your servant, Lord. I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." The Lord said to him, "Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say. (Exodus 4:10-12)

>Nazi Germany
>no religion

This is how you spot mental defectives.

Kebabs didn't even have art like that until after the Mongols sacked Baghdad.

demonic occultist neo-pagan LARP garbage =/= religion

They had nothing to do with religion besides the catholic church whom they saw as an enemy and what mentioned

The VAST majority of Nazis, people who voted for the Nazis, and members of the armed forces were Christian. Positive Christianity was the official religion of the party, and atheists were persecuted.

Saying Nazi Germany was irreligious is obscene denialism.

Thanks for taking the time to defend Nazi Germany you're doing God's work.

Is this bait?
I can't parse an argument out of your post

German soldiers had "Gott Mitt Uns" (God is with Us!) written on every belt buckle.

Personally, I think its a good touch to their outfit. They were closest we got to real life Space Marines.

Those evil Christians amirite?

Read the thread you retarded papist

nice try

>only catholics are christian

Saved. God Bless the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

>Pius XI watched the rising tide of totalitarianism with alarm and delivered three papal encyclicals challenging the new creeds: against Italian Fascism Non abbiamo bisogno (1931; 'We do not need (to acquaint you)'); against Nazism "Mit brennender Sorge" (1937; 'With deep concern') and against atheist Communist Divini redemptoris (1937; 'Divine Redeemer'). He also challenged the extremist nationalism of the Action Française movement and anti-Semitism in the United States.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_XI#International_relations

"Positive christianity" is rather vague don't you think? And i'm quite confident that Hitler and the leading nazi ideologists were at least critical of christianity as it opposed the darwinistic race struggle
I once evem read that Hitler planned to eradicate christianity once the war was over but i'm too lazy to search it for you shitheads

I don't really care what you are "quite confident" about, to be honest. I laid out a clear argument, and so far you have nothing to challenge it.

Nazi Germany was NOT an irreligious society, period.

There are no irreligious societies. Where in any Christian doctrine would you find justification for things like euthanasia and other things that the Nazis supported? If you can't draw a clear connection then you can't blame Christianity for motivating the Nazis. Anyone can call themselves a Christian but it wouldn't make it so.

I never claimed it wasn't. It's still likely that the nazis wanted to get rid of the church en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Adolf_Hitler i know it's just Wikipedia but better then nothing

The schismatic eastern "orthodox" are Christians too.

As for protestants (with their thousands of different denominations), they have an entirely different theology and believe in a different Jesus who never existed, hence the reason they do not practice Christianity but another religion, like the ancient gnostics.

See

>le no true christian

Top kek. And yes, Nazis were influenced by Christianity, German antisemitism was partially rooted in the antisemitism of the church at the time, which blamed the Jews for killing Jesus.

>I never claimed it wasn't

That isn't christian ideology though which the nazis evidently opposed

They didn't oppose it. I know you still want to play the "no true Christian" card, but we both know that's not an argument.

>The schismatic eastern "orthodox"
Funny, because it was the Roman Catholic Bishop that broke from the Church in favor of earthy power and the Papal Supremacy heresy.
There is only One Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Orthodox Church, and it isn't the Roman Catholic Church.

I've noticed a pattern in ancient art

Greeks would sculpture idealized figures
Romans would sculpture realistic
Late Romans would drift into this sort of aesthetic like you posted, focusing on the eyes
Byzantines will continue, emphasizing the eyes
Orthodox art would take off from there while Catholic medieval art develop its own style in the then developing kingdoms and nations of Europe

Any art&history student to confirm my observation?

*worships statues*
*prays to "saints"*
*rapes altar boy*

The user you replied to isn't me Pic related. There is no "orthodox church".

Christ founded only one Church, the Universal (Catholic) Church, whose first Pope is Saint Peter.

Also, reminder that the Council of Florence happened.

Test

those are all more or less accurate observations

but what do you consider to be the "pattern" here?

>regurgitates anti-Catholic memes

Reminder:
>Sue Widemark A Penn State historian, Philip Jenkins, has done in-depth research of pedophilia and sexual abuse among the clergy and has come up with some rather eye opening facts (Pedophiles and Priests, Anatomy of a Crisis, Oxford University Press, 1996, Paperback edition, 2001). It seems that while .2 to 1.7 percent of Catholic clergy have been guilty of pedophilia (or sexual abuse particularly of boys, p. 80-82), a whopping 10 percent of Protestant ministers have been found guilty of sexual misconduct with a 2 or 3 percent pedophilia rate (p. 50-52).

>This is all the more interesting, notes Jenkins, since there has been NO media term "Pastor Pedophilia" coined at all! Jenkins theorizes that the media, proving the 'point' of the 'necessity' of sexual promiscuity, overemphasizes any instance of pedophilia found among the Catholic clergy since it can use this to criticize the entire idea of celibacy. But it is interesting that the NON Celibate Protestant ministers have a MUCH GREATER problem with it than the celibate Catholic priests!

>Jenkins' research was based on several highly respected studies and statistics. He points out that whereas sexual misconduct has always been a problem, among Catholic and non-Catholic clergy as well as among the general populace, what is new now is that the 'problem' of priest sexual abuse, constructed by the media as a result of a 'moral panic' occurring in the mid-1980's.

catholic-convert.com/wp-content/uploads/SexInProtestantChurches.pdf

maybe pattern wasn't the best word, but I meant the art's development. Clearly common medieval art was inferior to ancient Roman art, and I'd assume it was because the nations of Europe were still in their infancy and didn't know shit about aesthetic, really just scraping from Byzantium and developing their own style. I wonder how come the late roman art is so stylized, it genuinely looks like tumble fanart. Could be the result of new cultures being integrated into the Roman empire? It's just odd how it drifted from realistic to that, and eventually in Byzantine style.

Funny how Italy was where realistic art was born and reborn.

tumblr fanart**

Yeah I bet if homeless wandering rabblerousing Jesus of Nazarene came back here he'd be all hunky dory with Literal Roman gilded boyfucking castles.

I've heard others make these same observations, but I think a lot of this stems from a desire to assign a cohesive, simple narrative to something as complex as the history of entire cultures. To point out one example of what I'm talking about, you're referring to one style of art as "inferior" without really taking into account craftsmanship, style, aesthetics, etc. Instead, you're equating naturalism/classicism with whatever makes an artwork "superior". "Classical art is the best because it's the most classical" is basically your thesis.

This is the basic assumption that most people enter the study of art with, myself included. I highly recommend looking more into art history if this sort of stuff interests you, because it only gets more interesting the deeper you go. "Ways of Seeing" with John Berger is a really good starting point; although focused on later art and a bit outdated/flawed, it makes you think about these sorts of issues

I don't think you really understand the no true Scotsman fallacy. If somebody doesn't follow Christian doctrine than he's not acting in a Christian way.

The Orthodox Church - the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church - is the true, original Church founded by Christ. It is without the innovations found in the Roman Catholic Church such as Papal Supremacy, compulsive clerical celibacy, water for Baptism, the Gregorian calendar, and the Roman Catholic belief of purgatorial fire, among others.
It is also without the subtractions founded in Protestant groups, all of which are heretics, such as the disregard of Church Tradition and the practice of Sola Scriptura.
Learn Greek, read the New Testament, and realize that the "rock" in Greek is not mentioning Peter. In Latin it does, but not in the original Greek. Therefore, the Roman Catholic interpretation is an innovation. "Papal Supremacy" was not a part of the Church upon it's founding, therefore it is an innovation.
>Also, reminder that the Council of Florence happened.
Yes, and it is null and void to the Church since it was after the Roman Catholic Church split off.

Christ loves Benedict XVI, he was a great pope.

Did God ask the jews to build a simple little box for the Ark of the Covenant? You think that Christ is shocked by papal attire? You think that Christ is still an ascetic wandering homeless man?

thanks, I'll look into that. But by "inferior" I meant they lacked the skill and knowledge to achieve Classical art, not that it was "worse". I don't assume Medieval tapestry is bad, just that it developed out of touch with Roman art and they couldn't achieve their realism even if they wanted.

kek someone doesn't understand how Eastern Orthodoxy or the early church works.

these churches are all one, in the same way that all of the sui juris churches are one, though there is no papal institution in this instance.

also, the EO churches have a presence in every continent, including antarctica.

>You think that Christ is still an ascetic wandering homeless man?
uh yes
What in any of this imperial pageantry would Jesus have applauded?

>ethnophyletist churches
>one
Pick one.
>presence in every continent
Mormonism too lad.

Who were the first to preach the Gospel in every continent though as Christ commanded (Matt. 28:18-20)? [spoiler]Catholics[/spoiler]

Papist is mad because his favorite altar boi had a "headache" today

>joking about kids being molested
>thinks he's Christian
Read btw.

>Who were the first to preach the Gospel in every continent though as Christ commanded (Matt. 28:18-20)? [spoiler]Catholics[/spoiler]

Who didn't exist until the schism?

[spoiler]Catholics[/spoiler]

>gesture, emotion, narrative, devotional impact
If those things were well conveyed by crappy pictures like the one OP posted I think people would have no problem with them.
Manga for example is better at doing "expressive not realistic" art than Medieval shit. Manga is famous for being flat, but Medieval art just feels wooden compared to the most hastily drawn manga scribble. It really feels like you're trying to bullshit us into seeing the Emperor's new clothes.

There's nothing in the bible about rape jokes.

In fact the best modern comparison I can find for Medieval art are the dolan and spurdo comics. Only they manage to capture that atmosphere of stillness and repetition.

>Out of centuries of dominating the western world, and billions of followers through history, that's all what christucks can produce
You've basically said "Ha! You only make $1 Billion each hour!"

That "Gott Mitt Un" was there before the Nazis even came along.

>"If the Roman See recognizes Pyrrhus to be . . . a heretic, it is certainly clear that everyone who condemns those who reject Pyrrhus condemns the See of Rome, that is he condemns the Catholic Church. I need hardly add that he excommunicates himself also . . . It is unjust that anyone who has been condemned and expelled by the Apostolic See of Rome for his errors should be honored at all, until he has been received by her, returning to her and to the Lord Himself, by a devout confession of the orthodox faith, by which alone he can receive holiness . . .

>Let him hurry to satisfy in everything the See of Rome, for if Rome is satisfied all will agree that he is orthodox. For he only speaks foolishly who thinks he can persuade people like me, without first satisfying and begging the most blessed Pope of the Romans, the Apostolic See which has received universal and supreme authority and power of binding and loosing over all the Holy Churches of God in the whole world from the Incarnate Son of God Himself, and also by the holy synods in their canons and definitions. With it the Word who is above the powers of heaven binds and looses in heaven also.

>Anyone who thinks he can satisfy others without imploring pardon of the most blessed Pope of Rome, is acting like someone who is accused of murder or some other crime and does not prove his innocence to the lawfully appointed judge, but to uselessly demonstrate his innocence to private persons who have no power to acquit him"

Maximus the Confessor, Letter to the Priest Marinus of Cyprus, A.D. 641

>Hear, O Apostolic Head, divinely-appointed Shepherd of Christ's sheep, keybearer of the Kingdom of Heaven, Rock of the Faith upon whom the Catholic Church is built. For Peter art thou, who adornest and governest the Chair of Peter. Hither, then, from the West, imitator of Christ, arise and repel not for ever (Ps. xliii. 23). To thee spake Christ our Lord: 'And thou being one day converted, shalt strengthen thy brethren.' Behold the hour and the place. Help us, thou that art set by God for this. Stretch forth thy hand so far as thou canst. Thou hast strength with God, through being the first of all.
(Letter of St. Theodore and four other Abbots to Pope Paschal, Bk. ii Ep. 12, Patr. Graec. 99, 1152-3)

I could go on and on.

>Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.
Ephesians 5:1-4

schismatics on suicide watch

>shitty artists

At least they've got better.

Meanwhile in 19th century Japan...

While the perspective is Escher-tier mindbreaking, that's actually a really great picture. The colors, the faces on the figureheads, it's quite poignant.

The fuck are you talking about, you dumb christcuck?

>the Catholic Church
Catholic does not mean Roman Catholic, you absolutely theologically illiterate dip. Of course the Pope was Primus Inter Pares during the early church period.

In addition to that, I can't find any non-byzantine catholic source on your translation of St. Maximus's letter to Fr. Marinus of Cyprus. All things having been considered, here, unless you show me evidence that the latter of the three paragraphs you quoted actually came from St. Maximus, I'm going to have to say that they're obviously either RC mistranslations or forgeries.
Not really -- he hasn't given any source for his quotations and most of them are taken out of context to intentionally support the claim that the patriarch of the west is somehow the head of the church -- when the only true head of our church is the one lord, Jesus Christ.

>1152-3

futurists fuck off back to memesville

Medieval style art is gorgeous. Sorry you can't appreciate the A E S T H E T I C

The Adowa one is funny
>Italy is defeated by a Medieval-tier country so hard, a Modern Army is shown beaten in Medieval Art.

Remove Spaghetti.
Remove Linguini from premises.

>everyone who condemns those who reject Pyrrhus condemns the See of Rome, that is he condemns the Catholic Church
Can't you read?

yuck. too tacky.

more like chaos cultists with all the meth.

I can, but you seem to lack comprehension.
The see of rome is the symbolic first among equals in the church of the Christ. Those who reject a certain teaching, and those who condemn a certain see, condemn all of the sees which hold to the orthodox and catholic truth. This is not ground breaking.

Stop repeating that "first among equals" meme. It's cringey.

>The extremities of the earth, and everyone in every part of it who purely and rightly confess the Lord, look directly towards the Most Holy Roman Church and her confession and faith, as to a sun of unfailing light awaiting from her the brilliant radiance of the sacred dogmas of our Fathers, according to that which the inspired and holy Councils have stainlessly and piously decreed. For, from the descent of the Incarnate Word amongst us, all the churches in every part of the world have held the greatest Church alone to be their base and foundation, seeing that, according to the promise of Christ Our Savior, the gates of hell will never prevail against her, that she has the keys of the orthodox confession and right faith in Him, that she opens the true and exclusive religion to such men as approach with piety, and she shuts up and locks every heretical mouth which speaks against the Most High.

(Maximus, Opuscula theologica et polemica, Migne, Patr. Graec. vol. 90)