Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

I'm looking at getting a new (read: used) car and was looking at a 2008 Subaru Outback.

I drove it, it handled well, not much felt like it needed more attention, other than what seemed like a leak in the exhaust line, and that no one seems to know if the timing belt was changed.

I'm not entirely familiar with Subarus, other than their reputation as being great for winter driving, so I want to get it inspected, but unfortunately all the garages here are busy putting peoples' winter tires on. So before I go for that, is there anything about them that should be known? Any large issues that need to be looked out for on this brand, or Outbacks in particular?

Other urls found in this thread:

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5858495957.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5841225306.html
newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/5839471314.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5778553888.html
hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5846089622.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5845889190.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why? You don't need awd. Snow tires are perfectly adequate. Just get a civic

Cont'd: the boxer is inferior to a normal inline or v engines.

While it's not entirely necessary, I've almost gone off the road a couple times in my old car given the winters here. I also end up going up into the mountains often enough that I want something that can get through some snow.

The other things I was looking at were a 2008 Sorento and 2010 Santa Fe.

Git gud. Awd only helps you get going, doesn't help steering

not OP

sorry for hijacking but Im looking for a winter beater and im deciding between these cars below

2003 Honda Civic

2002 Honda Civic

2002 Subaru Forester
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5841225306.html

2002 Subaru Legacy wagon
(i contacted this dude but he has yet to respond)
newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/5839471314.html

2004 Subaru Legacy
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5778553888.html

1989 Honda civic
hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5846089622.html

1995 Mazda Miata
(this is like a last option, it only has 80k miles and comes with a hardtop) all it would need is winter tires and it would be ready to go.
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5845889190.html

So what do you think?

From what I understood, they have a 60/40 front/rear torque division that goes heavier on the rear when slipping in the front wheels is detected, but that could just be more about someone selling the product than any actual unique technologies.

Either way, I've had trouble getting out of the driveway in my old FWD Volvo after a snowfall, and AWD would definitely help with that.

I sell and worked on Subaru's.

The 08s are solid as shit. I don't care for the 2.5i. I gravitate towards the badass XT or H6 and, in the used market, think those are much more worthbit in the long run. The AWD sys is good, and they're very durable. But mist certainly get it checked out before you buy it from a Subaru mechanic. They are very regularly ignored and not treated to good maintenance. People beat the shitbout of Subaru's and under service them. If it checks out, move on it.

OP here,
Thanks for this. It's a 2.5L H-4, but honestly, beggars can't be choosers.

I've heard that they're very different on the inside, but never had it confirmed, and there's also the fact that there are no dedicated Subaru dealerships around here that I'm aware of. Is it actually that important to get a Subaru mechanic, or should it be fine to get it checked by my local general purpose garage?

The 03 civic. The miata would be ok if it was manual. The Subarus look shitty and aren't the most reliable.

Subarus are only worth it if they have a turbo or a 6. Look elsewhere.

Different user here, I'm slightly interested in a Subaru wagon or hatch for taking down off the road and doing some car camping and travelling and such.

I could have a few late 90s/ early 00s for under 2 grand near me, I'm not a mechanical retard and can service or fix a vehicle, can Veeky Forums red pill me on Subaru really quickly?

From browsing this thread I gather they have a boxer engine? Someone once told me they were reliable, but I've never worked on one personally.

Get a Mazda 6 wagon or a truck. Subarus are shit.

But now I've heard people say Mazda was shit, what is ACTUALLY shit?

For that money you could get a s60 awd with a better engine

Subaru are shit they drink fuel and are a pita for parts and suck to work on

Well Dang. So what are the go to choices for a spicy hatchback that won't break the bank?

What state? I know nothing of yankfagland and ill just google some cars mate

whats a good site yall use?

Anyway average price for a noice awd s60 turbo is like $5k+

>i5 turbo like the old focus turbo that you guys never got
>dat stealth volvoness
I dont even like volvo's as a whole but i love the s60

>Subaru Outback.
They are popular with older lesbians.

In Maryland my man.

I actually found an 850 near me for 600$ but has CEL on. I'll put it as a maybe

I have a 3rd gen outback, specifically an 08 in that colour. 220km odometer. What do you want to know?

i should add that I have a miata already thats manual. I dont mind getting another one that is auto.

also i have a friend with a miata manual transmission if i decide to swap

nah stay away from those.

s60 and upwards is what you want to aim for

The 2.5L N/A is a perfectly fine engine. The trouble with having the H6 or the Turbo..

>Requires premium fuel
>Requires synthetic oil

In addition to the increased running costs, the extra power is wasted on the fact that these things are still slow with the bigger/boosted engines and you'll just be disappointed.

If you just want something to beat the living piss out of and not have it break often or cost a lot of money to drive, the 2.5 N/A is the best option.

What parts have given you trouble?

It's a 4 cylinder engine and I've heard that it can have problems, have you experienced any?

Does the sunroof get issues with internal rusting?

The windows aren't fully surrounded by metal, but instead have a gasket on the door frame that they close up against, is there ever any issues about them not sealing properly (water getting in, cold air in winter)?

>It's a 4 cylinder engine and I've heard that it can have problems, have you experienced any?
Headgaskets on both sides were replaced early in it's life. No issues since with it. From what I understand if you have had them replaced once you wont need to again. They tend to replace them with the turbo gaskets to overkill the issue.
I've owned it nearly two years and the only engine issue i've run into is replacing the oil pressure switch which is like a $30 part and 15 mins to do. I use synthetic in my car but it still suffers from piston slap which is an audible nuisance than it is a mechanical one. Goes away after a minute of driving on cold mornings, sounds like a diesel till then. Car does burn some oil. like .5qt between oil changes. Gonna give pennzoil ultra a try for winter to see effects on piston slap.

>Does the sunroof get issues with internal rusting?
Not mine no. The car is very minimal in rust, just some surface rust in a few spots on the undercarriage which is nothing.

>The windows aren't fully surrounded by metal, but instead have a gasket on the door frame that they close up against, is there ever any issues about them not sealing properly (water getting in, cold air in winter)?
Cold air, no. Rain, no. BUT the window driver window does have flex to it, passenger not so much and rear windows none at all. What does this mean? It means when you close your door the window vibrates a bit and sounds fucking awful. With the window rolled into the door and you close the door it sounds like it just shattered completely inside. I'll remove the door panel and tighten that up come spring time probably.

To be frank the car has been good to me and it doesnt ask for much. The only outstanding parts I had to replace was the oil pressure sensor and a original strut that blew out, the rest look fine though. I use synthetic in the differentials and engine. Did 4 x drain and fills on the tranny which is ez pz with the 4eat. 2700lb towing is nice.

Okay, that's good to know. So the only real issues you've had other than oil pressure sensor and the strut were that it was making noises that didn't really end up being anything?

The one I'm looking at has 154km on it. Did you have to change the timing belt on it? If so, when?

And honestly thanks for the answers. I need a car for work, and this seemed like a legitimately good choice given everything.

>timing belt
You have to absolutely need to know if this was done and it should be done by 160km. (iirc 150km or 60mths whatever comes first). If the car hasn't had it done It would be a big con if you can't do it yourself. It's an expensive job. GET THE PAPERWORK TO PROVE IT WAS DONE FROM SELLER. I was lucky I pulled mine from dealer records of previous owner.
>oil pressure sensor
It's an anomaly that it happened and made me panic at first that the headgaskets blew or worsw since it was leaking oil down the front/side.
>piston slap
Very common with Subaru's. Some get it some don't and you can't do much about it. It is not detrimental though, just takes a minute to stop.
>v-belts
Forgot to say I replaced those too but that's just regular maintenance and is incredibly easy to do on the boxer engine.

As a outdoor mobile the car is perfect for me. Hauls a lot.If you are looking at it for a town car it would be harder to justify. Lumbar support,telescopic steering (standard on 08) and power seat is nice though.

I'm not quite innawoods, but I'm out in the country, so not a town car, no.

I'll push the dealer for the records on it, and at worse, an inspection should be able to tell how old the timing belt is and work from there as to whether or not it was changed I imagine, but given that there was no sticker or tag saying when the belt was changed, I have a feeling it probably wasn't. God I wish it just had a timing chain.

The h6 does but that's a different story.
Do as you will to determine if it was but absolutely find your answer. If you can't then assume it wasn't and get it done. Given the mileage and the schedule to change it it does seem the individual may have traded it in vs getting it done. If status is unknown use this as heavy leverage in the purchase. If that shit snaps your engine just grenaded itself.

Are there better Cars or deals than this outback? Ya, sure, maybe. For what it's worth you are getting arguably the best generation outback with all the final year refinements (ghostwalking issue resolved). It will do you well in the country I don't doubt it.

Oh ya and find out the trim you are getting. Mine's a touring trim so it had the limited slip rear differential.