Well O, my '10 escape has developed a misfire. It's got low compression in the first cylinder...

Well O, my '10 escape has developed a misfire. It's got low compression in the first cylinder. (112) compared to the others (171-174). It's a 2.5 L non hybrid with 185k miles. Best guesses are it's a ring going bad. Otherwise, very clean car, only a minor rust spot in back wheel well. My questions for you are:
1. Pay a shop to rebuild my engine?
2. Get a lower mileage engine for around 500 and have shop do the swap?
3. Do the swap myself? (decent with tools and have most/all tools, but never done this in depth of work before, and it's my daily)

4. Trade the bitch in on a new or newer car?

I have about 10k I can throw at this, but I'll be cleaned out if I spend all that. (No emergency fund, but able to eat, pay bills, etc still)

Thanks Veeky Forums.

If you don't have much mechanical experience you should probably get it fixed in a shop, but don't let them tell you your engine is dead. But just out of curiosity, how did cyl 1 develop low compression? Was it engine knock? If it's engine knock then you have to get higher octane fuel. One more question, why is there a JZ piston as the thumbnail?

Nvm about the jz piston

>Drop pan
>Pull rod bolts
>Remove head
>Pull out piston
>Re-ring
>Reinstall piston
>Reinstall pan
>Reinstall head
You can do the timing belt and water pump and shit at the same time. Should cost you around $400 in parts if you do with real brands, maybe $100 or less with eBay stuff.

>Remove engine
>Replace with supercharged 5.0L
Problem with solved

It's a shop that I trust and I literally helped them run the compression test. Long story short, I constantly got the check engine light after filling up for an evap leak, (gas cap off/loose) so I didn't immediately stop and check it when it came on. Noticed it start shaking/misfire at idle a few dozen miles later and then got it checked out. It wasn't and still isn't knocking, just running a little rough at idle. Gas it to 1k rpm and it's fine. They diagnosed it as a bad coil pack to start, and about 20 miles after that it picked up the misfire code again, and the shakes. We then did the compression test and got the bad news. They are thinking it had some unignited fuel that compressed and damaged the piston rings.

Chose piston because my problems probably a piston ring.

Tell Dony to fix ot rgain.

So, pretty much an upper engine rebuild? I'm less comfortable taking the engine apart than doing a swap. At least an engine swap is mostly plug and play.

kek, putting a motor in is way easier than all this shit.

If you have the tools, swap the motor. Way easier than messing around with internal shit.

Just swap the engine and be done. Either you or the shop.

Okay, since swap seems to be the consensus so far, does anyone have an engine supplier they recommend (with warranty?) I drive this bitch easily 40k a year.

Who needs warranty, just get a 5.0l. they're reliable af

Have you looked in the cylinder through the spark plug hole for any obvious damage? It could be a valve if its just that one cylinder, maybe its not seating right? My roommates car has worse compression on all cylinders and she still drives that bitch daily since fixing it costs more than its worth

Also if it's a ring, putting some oil in the spark plug hole should temporarily restore some pressure for a test. Try that and see if it raises compression any

Also do a leak down test, see where you hear hissing from, oil dip stick, intake, or exhaust.

>Developed a misfire

Yes, we did this, sorry for forgetting to mention it. It went from 111 up to 150 still a little low, but a pretty significant jump.

>I have about 10k
Get a used Corolla in excellent condition for $5k. Then sell the Ford.

I am not sure how to do that, and already trailered it home. Is it literally just listening for a hiss?

Unfortunately, I need an suv or small truck, because I carry about 8 different tool boxes/bags, several boxes of equipment, materials and a ladder on the roof almost daily. Not to mention occasionally pulling trailers. Already have a full size truck for the large trailers, use this for the long haul drives to other states

Just replace the ring yourself. All you'll need are new headgaskets, head bolts and new rings. Should cost less than $100 total.

I would attempt that, but two things on my way. It's already got 185k on it, so it's got to be getting close to worn out. And second, that's a lot of things that I could do wrong. I may attempt it once I get the old one out. Or just sell the thing for half what I pay for the newer one.

Try $50 in parts, the head gasket being $30.

Junk it and buy a new car.

Is it fully insured?
Do you live in any rural areas?

Yeah like a base model civic.

Best investment anyone will ever make.
You mad you don't have a nice new car?
Stay butthurt cuck

have them do a leakdown test or rent the tool from autozone. It's odd for one ring to develop a problem. if it was an oiling issue you would think all the rings would be bad or close to bad. it could be valves. in that case just get the head rebuilt. I would advise against used engines no matter the mileage because you have no idea if the oil was ever changed.